Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

zaurg posted:

quick check here says my tax refund will be near $1000 which is surprising and amazing since I tweaked my W4 all year in an attempt to break even
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

need to go through and do a full return to make sure accurate. stay tuned.

Crypto loss is your friend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
He didn’t realize the loss until 2019, and even then he’d have to be offsetting gains. I don’t think he has any non-tax advantaged investment holdings.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

El_Elegante posted:

He didn’t realize the loss until 2019, and even then he’d have to be offsetting gains. I don’t think he has any non-tax advantaged investment holdings.

Uh, oops SA daisy!

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
So if I end January 2019 with $0 on my credit cards, that will be 12 months in a row accomplishing that basic task. Not sure when was the last time I did that. I think I'll shoot for another 12 months. Feels good not to pay credit card interest.

Please, no kudos.

zaurg fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 16, 2019

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
it's good that you didn't put more money on the credit card you opened to buy bitcoins

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
going by the age where rat balls become visable vs the age where female rats become baby machines, id make a cautious bet that everything will be fine

but you'll know soon enough i guess lol

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Don’t forget that you cannot write your rats as dependents even though you don’t withhold food from them like you do your kids.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

zaurg posted:

The rat swap is in progress. We now have 2 female rats. I am keeping them in separate cages right next to each other... I think maybe for 2 days? Then they will join together and be best friends. Hopefully neither pregnant.

The other female is so cute too and actually looks just like the male we swapped for her (same coloring, but a little smaller). We feed these things well... the 2 rats my dad had were noticeably smaller.

I love how he didn't do the more prudent thing and make sure he kept the male rats to prevent a surprise.

zaurg posted:

quick check here says my tax refund will be near $1000 which is surprising and amazing since I tweaked my W4 all year in an attempt to break even
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

need to go through and do a full return to make sure accurate. stay tuned.

Post the form showing the multiple transactions of shitcoins generating taxable events that you are surely ignoring.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

TraderStav posted:

I love how he didn't do the more prudent thing and make sure he kept the male rats to prevent a surprise.

I would probably do the same thing. It's easier to clean up unwanted rat babies than rat piss, I'd reckon.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

TraderStav posted:

Post the form showing the multiple transactions of shitcoins generating taxable events that you are surely ignoring.

Zaurg: I love how he didn't do the more prudent thing

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

zaurg posted:

The rat swap is in progress. We now have 2 female rats. I am keeping them in separate cages right next to each other... I think maybe for 2 days? Then they will join together and be best friends. Hopefully neither pregnant.

The other female is so cute too and actually looks just like the male we swapped for her (same coloring, but a little smaller). We feed these things well... the 2 rats my dad had were noticeably smaller.

You took my advice but in the dumbest way possible. zaurg.txt I guess

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KnifeWrench posted:

Zaurg: I love how he didn't do the more prudent thing

Well, yeah. It's so hard to fully convert my mindset when entering this thread. I should really focus and only enter it when I'm ready to bring my thinking down to the lowest common denominator.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

TraderStav posted:

Well, yeah. It's so hard to fully convert my mindset when entering this thread. I should really focus and only enter it when I'm ready to bring my thinking down to the lowest common denominator.

I mean, it's a lovely distillation of the appeal that keeps us all coming back, even if it was meant facetiously. I genuinely meant it as a possible thread title.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

zaurg posted:

So if I end January 2019 with $0 on my credit cards, that will be 12 months in a row accomplishing that basic task. Not sure when was the last time I did that. I think I'll shoot for another 12 months. Feels good not to pay credit card interest.

Please, no kudos.

Congratulations on keeping your credit card debt zero

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

El_Elegante posted:

HE SAID NO KUDOS.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

El_Elegante posted:

Thank you. I'm beating the system for the first time. Received today:

IMPORTANT UPDATE: You'll receive your $235 2019 Credit Card Reward Certificate via Email
Costco Anywhere Visa® Card <citicards@info4.citi.com>

Eat it, Citibank and Costco.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

zaurg posted:

IMPORTANT UPDATE: You'll receive your $235 2019 Credit Card Reward Certificate via Email

What cool things are you buying your rats with that money

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Maybe you can stop going to Publix 8 times a week now and just go to Costco once

Have we ever addressed your diet? Do you cook or do you eat out most nights? That adds up real fast. I assume you don’t because you’re running, but at this point literally nothing would surprise me

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

zaurg posted:

Wow, it only cost you a couple thousand bucks in wasted Shitcoins to get that reward. Truly, the Master Dealmaker.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

Maybe you can stop going to Publix 8 times a week now and just go to Costco once

Have we ever addressed your diet? Do you cook or do you eat out most nights? That adds up real fast. I assume you don’t because you’re running, but at this point literally nothing would surprise me

Do you have my awesome dashboard doc bookmarked? My spending is there for the world to see and I'm not hiding shitcoins this time.

1/1/19 to 1/16/19
4 trips to grocery store $243.60
2 trips to fast food $19.64

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

zaurg posted:

Do you have my awesome dashboard doc bookmarked? My spending is there for the world to see and I'm not hiding shitcoins this time.

1/1/19 to 1/16/19
4 trips to grocery store $243.60
2 trips to fast food $19.64

Challenge accepted dumbass.

So, why do you have FOUR credit cards? There's no balance but do you pay annual fees?

You have FIVE funds with empty amounts for 1/1/2019 and 1/15/2019. Have you actually applied your fund amounts and are you remembering it for the rest of your, heh, budget?

Why is Feb 19 tab blank? You should have it populated with your budget.

:zaurg:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

nashona posted:

What are you going on about? It's not March yet.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

nashona posted:

Challenge accepted dumbass.

So, why do you have FOUR credit cards? There's no balance but do you pay annual fees?

You have FIVE funds with empty amounts for 1/1/2019 and 1/15/2019. Have you actually applied your fund amounts and are you remembering it for the rest of your, heh, budget?

It wasn't a challenge. No need to be so aggressive.

4 credit cards, yes. No annual fees. Why? Why not? I've had 2 of them forever. 1 for years and that's the main cashback card. The 4th card... yeah I could get rid of that. It just sits there not doing much.

The fund amounts will be applied and dashboard updated. Stay tuned.

Feb19 will be ready to go towards the end of the month.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Daztek posted:

What cool things are you buying your rats with that money

the best rat accessories are just poo poo you can buy at a dollar store, re-purposed. cheap plastic basket + twine = hanging perch, poo poo like that. they'll chew it all to bits anyways.

running wheels should be solid; avoid meshes or bars, since those can damage their paws. heres a nice video that shows off the kinds of wheels that are appropriate

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
One year ago

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
lol christ remember when you guys were screaming for me to sell and I was like "but why sell now at the lowest point?" and at that point I was actually still up a bit and probably would've sold for around $3500, so a little better than breaking even.

then it crashed hard

then I think in April came back up but I still didn't sell

I stuck with my original plan and waited till Jan2019 and that really bit me in the rear end.

Lesson learned... don't set an exit TIME, set an exit PRICE. Also don't gamble with money I don't have.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

zaurg posted:

Lesson learned... don't set an exit TIME, set an exit PRICE. Also don't gamble with money I don't have.

....or maybe the lesson is don’t invest in magic beans?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't know what that means

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

zaurg posted:

New thread title.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Duckman2008 posted:

BUt they lead to adventure!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

zaurg posted:

Funniest post in a while.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
How is this 40 year old man missing so much

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

zaurg posted:

lol christ remember when you guys were screaming for me to sell and I was like "but why sell now at the lowest point?" and at that point I was actually still up a bit and probably would've sold for around $3500, so a little better than breaking even.

then it crashed hard

then I think in April came back up but I still didn't sell

I stuck with my original plan and waited till Jan2019 and that really bit me in the rear end.

Gee, you make it sound so simple. I'm sure that's personal growth and perspective that will help you in the future, and not just the lens of hindsight. Did you know it's possible to learn things without loving up? It's true! All you have to do is leverage the expertise and experience of those around you, and not just charge forward boneheadedly with whatever whim makes you feel the least discomfort.

Since you're reminiscing, you did set an exit price, several times. The problems were:
- it was always significantly higher than the current price
- it was some bullshit index amalgamation of your entire portfolio.

For all your granular data about poo poo that doesn't matter, you just lumped all your "investments" together in one bucket and then said "I'll sell as soon as all of these assets together double in price" which is the worst combination of risk aversion (lumping things together smooths out the bumps) and greed.

All of this and much much more were explained to you multiple times in multiple ways. We were not just "screaming at you to sell," we were trying to teach you about opportunity cost, expected value, logic, psychology, and all the tools you'd need to understand why what you were doing was stupid, without needing the end result to demonstrate it.

Hell, one person even offered to pay you the difference between the current price and your exit price, if it was hit in the timeframe that you predicted, if you sold immediately. Trusting a stranger on the internet made for a convenient excuse to appease your emotional desire to gamble, and to allowed yourself to keep moving the goalposts when your win didn't materialize.

All of this is to say, "learning your lesson" through catastrophic results that could have been predicted doesn't give me a lot of hope for you. It's the same drat thing you've been doing for 10 years. I'm still waiting to see you learn a lesson by listening and forethought. Every time something bad happens, you're like "wow, I wish I'd listened," but every time your gut disagrees with the rational course of action, you're like "let's wait and see how this plays out."

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

How is this 40 year old man missing so much

-Head Trauma
-Literal brain parasites
-Depression and maladaptive coping skills

or....
-Florida

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

El_Elegante posted:

-Head Trauma
-Literal brain parasites
-Depression and maladaptive coping skills

or....
-Florida

The more I hear about Florida, the more I think I belong there.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Ohhh hey a new Patton Oswald florida bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD7W21UQls0

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Funniest post in a while.

Is the thread now laughing with zaurg instead of at him? Makes you think…

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

zaurg posted:

I stuck with my original plan and and that really bit me in the rear end.

natch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

klafbang posted:

Is the thread now laughing with zaurg instead of at him? Makes you think…

No, I am definitely laughing AT him for not getting "magic beans."