Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Janosz Poha is an amazing charcter/performance. Everything else in Ghostbusters 2 is half-assed. Men In Black 2 has nothing that is more than half-assed, at best.

Well, no, Men II Black is more than half assed in that it is entirely rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I Before E posted:

Well, no, Men II Black is more than half assed in that it is entirely rear end.

If I had to pick one factor that makes it unwatchable, its that we went from one of the best movie villains ever in D'Onofrio's Edgar, to Lara Flynn Boyle of all people.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

On the other hand, looking bad in comparison to Ghostbusters is not very damning in general.

Yeah, this is my point. No poo poo it's hard to recapture the magic of one of the greatest movies ever made.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ghostbusters is not that good.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

friendo55 posted:

I've yet to sign up for Netflix (it's not nearly as good here in Canada as the US) but mainly because the DVD/Blu-Ray collection is so large, I'm not ready to just discard all that.
Although isn't Bill Murray having some Christmas special? and 'Fuller House' is coming soon?
That may do it for me.

Frasier isn't on Canadian Netflix, so you'd need a VPN to watch it anyway. Canadian Netflix is improving quite a bit though. More and more recent movies are being added. It's still quite barren for older movies, but for $8 a month I'm not going to complain much.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I Before E posted:

Quoting this for wrongandbadopinions.txt

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I Before E posted:

You're so edgy and controversial.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I Before E posted:

You really want a custom title, huh?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I Before E posted:

That's true, it's a great movie. Good isn't enough.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw Ghostbusters in a theater...either last year or earlier this year. I can't remember now. But in any case, it still holds up. It's still a fantastic movie deserving of its classic status.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, this is my point. No poo poo it's hard to recapture the magic of one of the greatest movies ever made.

And that's exactly my point. It's a movie that has literally no reason to exist except Columbia was making bank from toy sales from the cartoon and desperately wanted another movie, so all the principals got dragged kicking and screaming into making it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Can we at least all agree Vigo the Carpathian rules though? Also, Bobby Brown's ghostbusters raps are good.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Frasier isn't on Canadian Netflix, so you'd need a VPN to watch it anyway. Canadian Netflix is improving quite a bit though. More and more recent movies are being added. It's still quite barren for older movies, but for $8 a month I'm not going to complain much.

Well I'm even more glad now that it's not on Canadian Netflix anyway..... one of these days I will succumb to all this peer pressure. As you said, $8/month isn't going to break the bank one way or another.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Can we at least all agree Vigo the Carpathian rules though? Also, Bobby Brown's ghostbusters raps are good.
Vigo is even better in the Ghostbusters video game from a few years ago, especially since they got Max Von Sydow to reprise the role.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Vigo is a cooler villain than Gozer, IMO.

Ghostbusters 2 has a few flaws, but it's otherwise a really fun movie. Its major weakness is that it came after the first one.

Plus, the He-Man reference was pretty dated by 1989.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ghostbusters is the very definition of a movie that's greater than the sum of its parts

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ghostbusters 2 is a problem because all the young, cool, vital guys of the first movie are now visibly old and fat and balding. That's not the way I want to be reminded of mortality and the inevitability of death in a Ghostbusters movie.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Weren't they only released like 5 years apart?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Something terrible happened to Dan Aykroyd in those five years. He looks so much worse in 2. You can also see how much Bill Murray hates himself in his performance.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RichterIX posted:

Weren't they only released like 5 years apart?

Those 5 years weren't very kind to Aykroyd moreso than the others. I don't remember Rami, Murray, or Hudson looking much different.

Edit: poo poo I'm getting beaten all over these forums today

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Timby posted:

And that's exactly my point. It's a movie that has literally no reason to exist except Columbia was making bank from toy sales from the cartoon and desperately wanted another movie, so all the principals got dragged kicking and screaming into making it.

There's some article out there that went into the process of making GB2 and one of the few times the cast + Reitman got together before production was spent on comparing their pay for the film and who was getting what percentage of ancillary sales instead of workshopping the script. Absolutely nobody involved in it looked at it as anything besides a good boost to their bank accounts. I don't think Murray even showed up for that, and Hudson was pretty much shut out from everything and was kind of just there (which is funny because in the movie, he's the only one who comes off as giving a poo poo).

This is actually less effort than was put into the video game - where at least Ramis and Aykroyd sat down and reworked the script the devs had put together to make a proper sequel that had callbacks and set pieces that referenced the previous movies while getting the whole "Manhelltan" thing out of Aykroyd's head so he could finally shut up about it.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 17, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I remember correctly Murray wasn't really sure he should have even been doing the first Ghostbusters, and if you really got the truth out of him I'd bet he thought he was sleep-walking his way through that too. The guy is just ridiculously talented, him at 20% is still better than almost anyone else on the planet.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timby posted:

"No reason to exist" isn't actually criticism of movies. No movie has any reason to exist except maybe educational films and stuff like Night & Fog, especially when you're talking about big studio releases. The first Ghostbusters has no reason to exist. And "people wanted to make money" is basically the reason every single major studio film ever was produced, so that's also not criticism.

Ghostbusters 1 was lightning in a bottle, and if you try and compare 2 to it, of course it's a disappointment. However, if you take 2 only by it's own merits, it's still a pretty fuckin' good comedy with a lot of funny jokes and memorable scenes. Stuff like the trial scene are right up there with the best parts of the first film. Even though it doesn't maintain that level of quality throughout, it's a fun, enjoyable movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheJoker138 posted:

Even though it doesn't maintain that level of quality throughout, it's a fun, enjoyable movie.

No, it's just creatively bankrupt to remake the first movie beat-for-beat.

I mean, there's a reason Reitman, Murray and Ramis always acted like they'd rather not have done the thing at all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Timby posted:

No, it's just creatively bankrupt to remake the first movie beat-for-beat.

I mean, there's a reason Reitman, Murray and Ramis always acted like they'd rather not have done the thing at all.

It also changes a poo poo ton about the character and the whole premise does not make a lot of sense based off the previous movies events.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Something terrible happened to Dan Aykroyd in those five years. He looks so much worse in 2. You can also see how much Bill Murray hates himself in his performance.

Time does strange things to Dan. I saw him as a talking head on a Best of SNL from years ago and he looked really awful, but somehow looks far better these days.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The rejuvenating powers of Crystal Head, clearly.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

TheJoker138 posted:

Men In Black 2 is what angry nerds on the internet like to pretend that Ghostbusters 2 is. Ghostbusters 2 is a fine movie that a bunch of dummies don't like even though it's got a ton of great and memorable scenes. MIB2 is an actual terrible sequel and has a scene where an alien girl makes her tits bigger after looking at a billboard.

Man I don't think I've ever agreed with a post more than this. Ghostbusters 1 and 2 are like the same shade of goofy fun poo poo, who cares

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Friends: The Complete Series - $59.99

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Criterion licensed The Graduate from MGM and is doing a 4K transfer.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Do yourself a favour and don't read about the actor who played him.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DrVenkman posted:

Do yourself a favour and don't read about the actor who played him.
Are you talking about Max Von Sydow? I just skimmed his Wikipedia page and didn't spot anything objectionable. :confused:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xenomrph posted:

Are you talking about Max Von Sydow? I just skimmed his Wikipedia page and didn't spot anything objectionable. :confused:

No, Wilhelm Von Homburg. Dude had the most hosed-up life.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Xenomrph posted:

http://deadspin.com/the-hateful-life-and-spiteful-death-of-the-man-who-was-1737376537

quote:

I emailed Michael C. Gross, one of the executive producers of Ghostbusters II, to get a sense of why Norbert was cast for the film. I learned nothing I hadn’t heard already, because he wrote exactly one sentence: “I can only say he was a crude bigoted rear end in a top hat.”

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

No, Wilhelm Von Homburg. Dude had the most hosed-up life.

Most of it of his own making, to be fair.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Japan is getting a lot of incredible releases not even close to being released in the US.

Box set of Luis Bunuel's Mexican films (The Exterminating Angel, Viridiana, and Simon of the Desert), The Magnificent Ambersons, Fassbender's Berlin Alexanderplatz, and Louis Malle and Peter Greenaway box sets.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Japan is getting a lot of incredible releases not even close to being released in the US.

Box set of Luis Bunuel's Mexican films (The Exterminating Angel, Viridiana, and Simon of the Desert), The Magnificent Ambersons, Fassbender's Berlin Alexanderplatz, and Louis Malle and Peter Greenaway box sets.

Most of those are a few years old at this point, they just haven't gotten much attention because they're not English friendly. The Greenaway box sets look nice and those films are all in English, though most are also available individually in the UK or nordic countries.

Magnificent Ambersons does look to be quite a coup though... I've got my eyes on that for sure.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Amazon Prime Video allegedly has Ambersons in HD but I'm too skeptical to just blind-buy it

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rusty Staub posted:

Amazon Prime Video allegedly has Ambersons in HD but I'm too skeptical to just blind-buy it

There's a HD web rip floating around. I don't know the source. The one on Amazon is probably the same transfer that got a DVD release with Citizen Kane a few years back (but in HD)

Warner's been known to sit on HD extras in the hopes of doing a double dip one day.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
e: wrong thread.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Nov 21, 2015

• Locked thread