Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
Thank you both. I don't care about portability at all, so I'll definitely have a play with a mustang I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

muike posted:

I used to tune down to C# standard with 10-46. That is my story

I used to tune down to open F# drop B because it made me cool and different. I showed up to band practice still in that tuning one time and we jammed for a while, and the drummer really enjoyed it. Next practice he looked hopeful and said 'let's do that song again!' and looked forlorn when the other guitarist told him I wasn't tuned for it anymore

I could have just tuned down again but ~BAND POLITICS~

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!

awesmoe posted:

Practice amps! I'm new and bad, have no intention of playing in a band or in front of other people, and honestly the quieter the better - I hate the thought of other people listening to me practice :emo:
I'm planning on trying out the fender mustang mini and the blackstar ID core 10. Any other recommendations?

e: I'm not going to get effects pedals etc so something (like the two above) that gives me a lot of control over the sound would be good

You sound like you are in the same position I am in. Slowly but surely I am getting better, but it is frustrating and discouraging. Learning guitar is the hardest thing I have ever tried to do.

I ended up getting a Fender Champion 20 for $100. It has some nice effects and sounds really nice. Having the effects is cool because you cans experiment with different sounds while messing around.

I would also recommend a VOX headphone amp. The sound is ok, but I find myself using this all the time because it is so easy to pick up and play at a moments notice. You just plug it into your guitar and have amplified sound without having to drag out the amp (which I would plug headphones into anyway!)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/amPlugAC30

Edit: I recommend watching the video on the product page for the fender amp in the link below. It gives you a good feel for the options.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Champ20

RagingHematoma fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 8, 2014

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

muike posted:

I still do and it's not bad (25" scale)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

I'm using 12-53 D'Addarios for D on my ESTEBAN AUTOGRAPHED ESTEBAN ACOUSTIC. I'm still not sure what gauges to go with for electrics but I like the give these have compared to the old lovely elixirs I had on it. Might have to adjust the truss rod tomorrow since I've got some buzzing, probably from the warped neck though. If that doesn't help I'll move up to 13s. I'm hoping that's not too tight for me. This guitar is a literal pain to play regardless but I'd at least like to get the buzzing under control.

Really enjoying tuning down though. I've been studying Elliott Smith a lot lately and you really can't fake his down tuned sound. After working through some songs I just can't enough of that deep, pounding attack on the thick strings. It hits you right in the gut.

e: I need a good acoustic so bad god drat

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 8, 2014

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Ok, when I play clean open chords out of my amp, they tend to sound too thick. I'm not sure how to describe it but it's like the chord but with a hard sound that tends to ease towards the end of the chord. I can't think of a better way to describe it- like the sound has too much attack to it. Is this the way playing, or is it just the way it is?

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

OhDearGodNo posted:

Ok, when I play clean open chords out of my amp, they tend to sound too thick. I'm not sure how to describe it but it's like the chord but with a hard sound that tends to ease towards the end of the chord. I can't think of a better way to describe it- like the sound has too much attack to it. Is this the way playing, or is it just the way it is?

Are you using humbuckers?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

Are you using humbuckers?

Yes

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

OhDearGodNo posted:

What kind of setup are you running (amp/interface, pedals, etc)? It sounds like you might be overloading the signal chain a bit - some units are more sensitive than others. Try lowering your pickups a bit, both to decrease the output voltage but also in case you're making physical contact with them.

And try a different pick! I was once having a similar problem on single notes, and I realized it was the crazy thick bass pick I was using, along with a pickup too close to the string.

If you have an older tube amp, there's a chance it could be your filter caps, but I think this gets way over-diagnosed when the problem is usually upstream.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I finally got some recording tools, and recorded a very simple composition (arrangement).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0-dmFeSBK-bVzZIVFNrR0ctYUE/edit?usp=sharing
Either my technique is bad, or my recording stuff, or maybe my guitar, or this genre (?) is not suited for classical guitar, or it's not a genre at all? (I tried to improve it with some reverb and wah, though.)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

After The War posted:

What kind of setup are you running (amp/interface, pedals, etc)? It sounds like you might be overloading the signal chain a bit - some units are more sensitive than others. Try lowering your pickups a bit, both to decrease the output voltage but also in case you're making physical contact with them.

And try a different pick! I was once having a similar problem on single notes, and I realized it was the crazy thick bass pick I was using, along with a pickup too close to the string.

If you have an older tube amp, there's a chance it could be your filter caps, but I think this gets way over-diagnosed when the problem is usually upstream.

Usually running it dual humbucker to OCD (off) to ID15 on "clean bright" with little gain and the TVP set to EL84 or KT66.

I use a 1.00 Dunlop pick. I'd have to check the pup height later on though.

All in all I thinking it's just that this amp sucks.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, try listing the pickup heigh a bit, and go down to about a .73 or lower gauge pick for rhythm work, that'll help for your problems with how your cords sound.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

We are playing in Pascagoula MS tonight and Pensacola tomorrow if anyone wants to come shout random, overused internet memes at the stage.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

OhDearGodNo posted:

Usually running it dual humbucker to OCD (off) to ID15 on "clean bright" with little gain and the TVP set to EL84 or KT66.

I use a 1.00 Dunlop pick. I'd have to check the pup height later on though.

All in all I thinking it's just that this amp sucks.

Buckers sound darker, thicker. Nature of the beast. You may just prefer a single-coil sound.

If you want to explore alterations to the amp config to see if remediate your concern to some degree, here's my suggestion for starting with as high of headroom clean as a baseline on the ID15:

Clean Bright
Gain down to almost nothing
"Volume" down to almost nothing
Bass at straight up 12 o'clock
Treble at straight up 12 o'clock
ISF at, say... anywhere between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock.
Tube emulation at KT88

I know normally the KT88 is considered to be the LOUD or METAL tube for big high-powered heads, but it's cleans are very delicate, and has be come my go-to for "I really don't want to sound like any classic clean at all" sound.

You may very well hate the amp, but as an ID30 user I can't imagine blaming the amp for thick sounds when you're playing a dual-bucker guitar. With that being said though, the reason I went with the 30 over the 15 was I thought the 10 inch driver in the ID15 sounded a bit nasal.

Do you have access to a single coil you could compare with?

Edit:

Wait, I just filtered by your post history, and just to be clear: You have a 25 inch scale neck on which you're detuning 10's down a minor third on a dual bucker instrument and you're curious why the chords sound... dark...

Not trying to be a jerk. I just want to confirm that this indeed is the setup.

Alleric fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 8, 2014

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

supermikhail posted:

I finally got some recording tools, and recorded a very simple composition (arrangement).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0-dmFeSBK-bVzZIVFNrR0ctYUE/edit?usp=sharing
Either my technique is bad, or my recording stuff, or maybe my guitar, or this genre (?) is not suited for classical guitar, or it's not a genre at all? (I tried to improve it with some reverb and wah, though.)

It sounds like an amplified classical guitar. What do you want it to sound like?

I'd back off the reverb a bit, take out the wah, and EQ to reduce <800hz.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Alleric posted:

Buckers sound darker, thicker. Nature of the beast. You may just prefer a single-coil sound.

If you want to explore alterations to the amp config to see if remediate your concern to some degree, here's my suggestion for starting with as high of headroom clean as a baseline on the ID15:

Clean Bright
Gain down to almost nothing
"Volume" down to almost nothing
Bass at straight up 12 o'clock
Treble at straight up 12 o'clock
ISF at, say... anywhere between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock.
Tube emulation at KT88

I know normally the KT88 is considered to be the LOUD or METAL tube for big high-powered heads, but it's cleans are very delicate, and has be come my go-to for "I really don't want to sound like any classic clean at all" sound.

You may very well hate the amp, but as an ID30 user I can't imagine blaming the amp for thick sounds when you're playing a dual-bucker guitar. With that being said though, the reason I went with the 30 over the 15 was I thought the 10 inch driver in the ID15 sounded a bit nasal.

Do you have access to a single coil you could compare with?

Edit:

Wait, I just filtered by your post history, and just to be clear: You have a 25 inch scale neck on which you're detuning 10's down a minor third on a dual bucker instrument and you're curious why the chords sound... dark...

Not trying to be a jerk. I just want to confirm that this indeed is the setup.

No no worries. I've tuned down to C but these issues are clean in E or Eb tuning.

I've split the coils but can't remember if I've done it clean. I'll take these suggestions and also drop the pick thickness down some and see what effect it's having.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

OhDearGodNo posted:

No no worries. I've tuned down to C but these issues are clean in E or Eb tuning.

I've split the coils but can't remember if I've done it clean. I'll take these suggestions and also drop the pick thickness down some and see what effect it's having.

This clears things up for me, because it confirms what I immediately thought when I looked at your previous posts. If you detune 10's by that much, they are going to flop around like crazy and have no ability to resist a thick pick like that. I also don't think going with a thinner pick is going to help much either. At that low of tension, those strings are pretty much rubber bands. That's your cause, and not doing it with that light of string gauge is your solution. If you really want to detune by that much, I highly suggest going with higher gauge strings, just be sure your nut slots can support them.

I don't ever play down at such levels on a standard guitar, but I imagine if I did I would have to go with 12's or bigger to get the string tension where it wouldn't sound like rubber.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

With the band I'm with this weekend I'm at drop-C using 10s on my LPs and I can't imagine going any lower at all.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I like nickel-wound heavy 11s or regular 12s for playing standard tunings below D standard. Really prefer 11s for D standard, too, but I can manage with a set of 10s. Already feels pretty floppy, and setting a guitar up for low tuning but light strings is kind of a loving farce, the intonation is going to be off pretty much no matter how you mess with it. Fret buzz city as you lower light strings' tension on the same scale without adjusting the truss rod, but the whole thing is a pain in the rear end imo and why not just make sure your nut isn't going to bind with heavier strings and then use those if you're tuning lower, so that you still have appropriate tension with minimal truss adjustment necessary?

Still going to be some setup work, always is when you change string gauges, and you may need a new nut if you find you have serious tuning issues. And I guess I'd be remiss if I didn't say that you should nonetheless take care with your tension, because truss rods aren't created equal and you'll have a much nicer time with heavier tunings on a nice dual truss equipped guitar than with one that just wasn't made for that at all.

Ok I have a question now! Anyone used a Schecter Hellcat with six strings? Really interested in picking one up, somewhere between a bass and a baritone on my read of it but I haven't played one ever, and the Schecters I played after the move from Korea to China had major QC issues. But they are really well appointed... Maybe it's better now? Anyone know? Or should I just say gently caress it and go for a Bass VI instead, I dunno.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Alleric posted:

This clears things up for me, because it confirms what I immediately thought when I looked at your previous posts. If you detune 10's by that much, they are going to flop around like crazy and have no ability to resist a thick pick like that. I also don't think going with a thinner pick is going to help much either. At that low of tension, those strings are pretty much rubber bands. That's your cause, and not doing it with that light of string gauge is your solution. If you really want to detune by that much, I highly suggest going with higher gauge strings, just be sure your nut slots can support them.

I don't ever play down at such levels on a standard guitar, but I imagine if I did I would have to go with 12's or bigger to get the string tension where it wouldn't sound like rubber.

I'm not sure I said it clearly. When I play clean and notice these, they are playing open chords in standard tuning.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

jwh posted:

It sounds like an amplified classical guitar. What do you want it to sound like?

I'd back off the reverb a bit, take out the wah, and EQ to reduce <800hz.

Eh. Something I'd like listening to... I guess I don't really like listening to solo classical guitar which is my musical instrument. :downs: :smith: It sounds kind of dull.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OhDearGodNo posted:

On this note, and I don't know a lot about amps, I feel like I hear this a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nOgNCI4wtQ&t=244s
Excuse the super bros forever video, it's at the 4 min mark though. Hype up a Fender amp for rad clean tones, play it and...

sounds like shite. Is that supposed to be a good tone? What's good about it? Sounds muffled and crappy and almost like running a guitar direct into a karaoke machine. It's not just them, I hear it a lot on demos for drive pedals and the like, where the clean tone has no definition whatsoever and just sounds like mush. Is it me?

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

supermikhail posted:

Eh. Something I'd like listening to... I guess I don't really like listening to solo classical guitar which is my musical instrument. :downs: :smith: It sounds kind of dull.

This piece isn't really playing to the strengths of the classical guitar - your rhythmic, chordal playing is strong, but usually in flamenco music (and your playing sounds closer to flamenco than straight classical) you get a structure that includes both rhythmic and melodic elements. Like for instance the Malaguena:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COc1ljZEb-M

Or this Paco de Lucia song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqFFCRzTe-c

Or this much more straight-faced and simple Carulli composition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfhspK3dNk8

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Agreed posted:

Ok I have a question now! Anyone used a Schecter Hellcat with six strings? Really interested in picking one up, somewhere between a bass and a baritone on my read of it but I haven't played one ever, and the Schecters I played after the move from Korea to China had major QC issues. But they are really well appointed... Maybe it's better now? Anyone know? Or should I just say gently caress it and go for a Bass VI instead, I dunno.

Hellcats are awesome. The later version is a bit better in my opinion. However, with the comparatively recent availability of the Squier Bass VI, I'd probably go for the Squier.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Finally got my hands on a Guild Aristocrat reissue.

Dunno how I feel about it. Guitar itself seemed very solid. Very beautiful. Problem is that those Franz P90s are loving bright. Tele bright. Guitar otherwise felt great. Very light. Wish it had a better finish instead of that Korean poly that's on everything.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Dude the tone in that video at 4 minutes is like royclark.flv man. If you don't like that tone then that's unfortunate because my mind started playing El Toro in my heads a second after he started playing.

http://youtu.be/lxDQQDF6j0Y

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Aug 9, 2014

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I ended up getting a blackstar id:core 20 because a) they didn't have the mustang I or a core 10 and b) I feel powerless every time I walk into a music shop and I end up just buying whatever they point me to :ohdear:

On the plus side, I like it, so it all worked out in the end.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

This is touching my heart in all the right places.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

NTT posted:

Dude the tone in that video at 4 minutes is like royclark.flv man. If you don't like that tone then that's unfortunate because my mind started playing El Toro in my heads a second after he started playing.

http://youtu.be/lxDQQDF6j0Y

That was awesome as all hell, but I can't help but notice it's a little more interesting when there's crazy playing and dynamics going on, instead of 'here's an E chord' *blomb*

Blomb did sound a little better after that video though, can't tell if you've broadened my horizons or it's just the association kicking in!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I recommend learning a flamenco song or a minor heavy piece and see how you like it. :)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Oh yeah flamenco and surf and stuff are already rad (I learned to do a half-assed rasgueado years ago), and I tend to play with a humbucker a lot so I'm already familiar with the sound! I just tend to hear that kind of flat, muffled, untextured tone played boringly in a lot of demos, it's not exactly inspiring on its own without the dynamic chops. Kinda sounds like any old practice amp, to me anyway!

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!

awesmoe posted:

I ended up getting a blackstar id:core 20 because a) they didn't have the mustang I or a core 10 and b) I feel powerless every time I walk into a music shop and I end up just buying whatever they point me to :ohdear:

That amp looks solid, I think you did OK!

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

baka kaba posted:

sounds like shite. Is that supposed to be a good tone? What's good about it? Sounds muffled and crappy and almost like running a guitar direct into a karaoke machine. It's not just them, I hear it a lot on demos for drive pedals and the like, where the clean tone has no definition whatsoever and just sounds like mush. Is it me?
No it is not just you. And the guitar in that other 'Tube sounds bad too, that distortion from the pickups that kicks in only on hard strums sounds broken and awful and something I would avoid under all circumstances.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

TopherCStone posted:

Hellcats are awesome. The later version is a bit better in my opinion. However, with the comparatively recent availability of the Squier Bass VI, I'd probably go for the Squier.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at in my head right now on it. I mean, if I can find a Hellcat priced appropriately I'd be very interested and probably pick it up, but they went and turned on EZ Mode by offering the thing that I want in a comparatively super straightforward package that everyone who uses seems to really dig, and I'd get a warranty and all that other poo poo that we usually don't care about except sometimes.

I just know the Hellcat would be fun as heck to play and probably has better hardware :ohdear: I hate replacing bass hardware, gets expensive quick!

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

awesmoe posted:

I think you'll be fine. :)

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Agreed posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at in my head right now on it. I mean, if I can find a Hellcat priced appropriately I'd be very interested and probably pick it up, but they went and turned on EZ Mode by offering the thing that I want in a comparatively super straightforward package that everyone who uses seems to really dig, and I'd get a warranty and all that other poo poo that we usually don't care about except sometimes.

I just know the Hellcat would be fun as heck to play and probably has better hardware :ohdear: I hate replacing bass hardware, gets expensive quick!

Thanks for your thoughts :)

The squire VI is mostly guitar hardware. Jag bridge and tremolo, pickups can be easily swapped for hotrails humbuckers and the tuners are vintage style six in lines with a split post to allow 96' gauge strings to fit. Just if you buy one, order some LaBella bass VI strings at the same time and flip the bridge making sure it can still rock freely. Fender's set is only 24'-84' and let the bridge flop around which is why most people prefer an aftermarket Mastery. Other string sets are either the wrong scale length or don't use regular guitar ball ends so you'll never get the correct tuning. Labella rounds or flats are perfect and a lot cheaper if you order individual strings. I went for 26' E and 96' D for drop D but it's not too tight to tune up to bass E standard.

Only thing I'm unsure about is using my new Vypyr VIP3's 7 string emulator through red channel Trace Elliot Bass model to pitch shift it into sub-bass Drop A tuning to match my Ibanez. Accidentally did that the other day and it sounded amazing on the bridge/middle pups but the neck pickup makes the speaker sound a bit flabby when cranked. Strangle switch fixes that but then the overall tone just sounds sterile.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Is there any true arpeggiator pedal out? I mean one that can break up the notes in your chord and sequence them, not just grab onto one (or all of them) and play a major/minor/chromatic scale off of it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

awesmoe posted:

I have the Core 10 and those are fantastic little practice amps. Good variety of sounds and lots of basic effects options to mess around with so you know what sounds and pedals you'll want when you're ready. Only problem I've found with them is that they don't take dirt pedals that well and direct recording from them sounds loving atrocious.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Does anyone have suggestions for getting out of ruts? I feel like I've been playing the same licks and runs now for months, I need to break out of it. I've been transcribing some solos but for some reason it's not really inspiring me. I'd like to work out some new ideas rather than rote playing other people's stuff. Anyone know of anything that might help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Just an idea really, but have you tried transcribing to a different mode in the same key? Like if a song is in say A minor, you can remap each note to its lydian or phrygian or whatever counterpart, and that includes rebuilding chords too. You end up with the same song but with a completely different tone, it can really inspire you to change the way you play it and develop some new melodic ideas to really go the whole hog with what you've turned it into