Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

One thing I have learned is that people take Fallout's setting as a lot more realistic and serious that I do. Part of why I enjoyed it is that even without pop culture references it was patently ridiculous and goofy, much like Mad Max, not a serious analysis of post-nuclear life and recovery.

Same.

I'm really a sucker for the alternate future as viewed from a 50s standpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The GECK is hardly a magic bullet, look at vault city. It's probably a single packet of VaultTec brussel sprout seeds and a best-of video featuring the professor from Gilligan's Island

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Magmarashi posted:

I'd like to see more thoughtful layout of environments going forward. Re-Industrialized settlements surrounded by slum or agricultural areas, leading into semi-tamed wilds/wastes and then the untamed. Fo3 and NV have this major problem with people living within shouting distance of Deathclaws, insane junkie raiders and giant man-eating bears while acting like nothing is odd about that.

It's not odd, it's how they've been living for the past 200 years. Why change what works? Only the slow kids get caught by the deathclaws, anyway!

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

To be clear I don't care about accuracy or trees I'm just shooting the poo poo.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fooz posted:

To be clear I don't care about accuracy or trees I'm just shooting the poo poo.

Pretty much, cause it beats the poo poo out of just talking about nothing at all, or returning that loving FO3 vs NV circle jerk

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress the trees anyways, I have two specific hopes for 4 that are probably futile:

Nights and interiors that are actually dark enough to need a light source. This part can be modded in but can't be modded in well because while you're in pitch blackness, literally everything else in the game has perfect nightvision and can see you from a mile away. For it to be implemented properly, there'd need to be considerations in the AI for humans needing to get out flashlights/torches/etc at night and having their perception reduced, and actually going to bed. On a side note, that's something that's bugged the crap out of me in most Bethsoft games. Technically NPCs are supposed to be on a schedule, but you'll break into someone's house at 3 AM and they're just standing in the living room staring at you. GO THE gently caress TO SLEEP. That perk to easily kill sleeping people is the most worthless thing ever; I've only encountered raiders going to bed on a couple of occasions.

The ability to reclaim a vault to use as a settlement instead of building shacks out of poo poo. I'm guessing that 111 will be unfeasible for one reason or another, but I'd very much like to be able to clean up a vault, kick out the molerats or whatever was using it for a home, and get it running again.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Valatar posted:

someone's house at 3 AM and they're just standing in the living room staring at you. GO THE gently caress TO SLEEP.

this is me IRL

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
The only thing that could get me to give a poo poo about the trees in fallout is if there was some systems mechanic tied to them, like them being burnable or destroyable. Otherwise all i care about in Fallout is walking around a hosed up apocalyptic goofiness listening to retro tunes about the cold war while i shoot random critters, assholes, and if i so feel like it, normal people in the face.

You people care way too much about the implausible infrastructure of a video game where you can vaporize people with hand held laser guns.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Lazy_Liberal posted:

They released perception? Neat!

I checked. They did not release perception.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I checked. They did not release perception.

Erm...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
There is now a Fallout themed Monopoly game for sale in the Bethesda shop, only costs a cool $40. With Vault 111 and Diamond City taking the place of Boardwalk and Park Place.

Because you know, nothing goes better with the apacoplyse than reckless real estate speculation.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

guess you should go tell the devs they are dumb then bc keeping a Fallout aesthetic is super important to them according to their statements in the 'making of' videos for F3 and NV

This is hilarious to me.

A) Both these games came out before Skyrim.
B) you imply the devs can't make stupid decisions.

The latter is the funnier part. It's usually the dev gently caress ups that result in the most memorable parts of games. Giants sending you flying, walking on paintbrushes, pillow forts, a super mutant and robot refusing to perform a menial task and forcing you to commit suicide.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Psychotic Weasel posted:

There is now a Fallout themed Monopoly game for sale in the Bethesda shop, only costs a cool $40.

This is sort of off topic, but I really don't get any of those themed Monopoly sets. They're carbon copies of the original, but with different art and wording, so yay? I'd have rather had a stand alone Fallout board game or something, not just a reskin of a lovely (albeit intentionally lovely, which actually makes it worse) board game like Monopoly.

Seriously just look at just how many there actually are, it's crazy.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nasgate posted:

This is hilarious to me.

A) Both these games came out before Skyrim.
B) you imply the devs can't make stupid decisions.

The latter is the funnier part. It's usually the dev gently caress ups that result in the most memorable parts of games. Giants sending you flying, walking on paintbrushes, pillow forts, a super mutant and robot refusing to perform a menial task and forcing you to commit suicide.

Bro I'm not saying that the decision is stupid or smart, I'm telling you what the people making the game's thought process is based on what they themselves have said and that's why there probably won't be a drastic departure from the setting anytime soon. Whether the decision is 'smart' or not is irrelevant since they are the ones making the decision and we aren't. Feel free to email them and tell them they are being dumb I guess.

They specifically talk about how they feel more free to experiment with TES because a) it's completely theirs as opposed to an IP they bought the rights to (and they don't want to gently caress up Fallout), and b) it isn't quite as setting dependent.

I just don't know wtf your point is. I've already said I'd like to see an overgrown city or lush landscape! I'm just saying it won't happen to Fallout anytime soon.

You might as well tell me how dumb I am for saying HL3 isn't coming out anytime soon. All I'm doing is repeating what the devs have said and applying it to the 'lush scenery' chat.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 17, 2015

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Yeah, that fallout monopoly looks low effort as hell. Looking at the board it looks like they just threw in images they had laying around the studio. I think I see some fallout 1 or 2 screenshots on there. Seriously? Just pay one of your artists.

Also caps printed on paper money :crossarms:

and who the hell want's to play as a vault door? Shoulda gone with a mr handy play piece instead rabble rabble

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Valatar posted:

Nights and interiors that are actually dark enough to need a light source. This part can be modded in but can't be modded in well because while you're in pitch blackness, literally everything else in the game has perfect nightvision and can see you from a mile away. For it to be implemented properly, there'd need to be considerations in the AI for humans needing to get out flashlights/torches/etc at night and having their perception reduced, and actually going to bed.

Sure, as long as they make the days 18 hours long and it doesn't apply to caves.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I can't wait for the new generation of "realistic" lighting mods that make everything pitch dark all day long, and no light source reaches more than two feet.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Psychotic Weasel posted:

There is now a Fallout themed Monopoly game for sale in the Bethesda shop, only costs a cool $40. With Vault 111 and Diamond City taking the place of Boardwalk and Park Place.

Because you know, nothing goes better with the apacoplyse than reckless real estate speculation.

hm yeah *strokes my retarded goon neckl* same with lord of the rings monopoly lol

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I think I speak for all of us Fallout fans, we could sure use some... Cream... plenty of cream.... with our coffee. Fallout news coffee. Been dry lately without... that creamy Fallout coffee/news.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Bethesda Give Update on Expanding the Series

quote:

BETHESDA have given an update on how they plan to expand the Fallout 4 series ahead of its launch on Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

Having been revealed earlier this month, new details have been released on the launch of a Fallout-themed Monopoly edition--and more?

And according to Bethesda, the name of the "game"--in this case, Bethesda's brainchild Fallout--is "Intellectual Diversification" .

On Tuesday, Bethesda exec T. Howard was happy to explain what those words meant for fans of the post-apocalyptic franchise. "What comes to mind when you think about Star Wars? Easy: Brand omnipresence. I can watch a Star Wars movie while I drink 'blue milk' from a Star Wars cup while wearing a Star Wars Lando Calrissian disguise kit. There's literally nothing you can buy that doesn't have a Star Wars equivalent. And that--that's Star Wars' identity. That's its brand power."

T. Howard laid out what he saw as the "forward edge of Fallout" by referencing the soon-to-be-released Fallout Monopoly board game. "[Fallout Monopoly and Bethesda Store clothing] are just the start. I firmly believe that, if we want to turn Fallout into a household name, we need to follow in Star Wars' footsteps. So, for example, Fallout camping gear, Fallout 'extended universe' fiction, Fallout 'Nuka-Cola' sodas...we're even in talks with Guy Fieri regarding a Fallout Cookbook."

"I don't want people to think of a video game when they think about Fallout. It should be a way of life."

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 18, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
lol people who make video games are nerds

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Guy's Twice Dipped, Five Cap, 'Capital Wasteland Style' Banana Yucca Poppers with "Radioactive Slammin Jammin Fatman" Brahmin Sauce.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just wanna jet pack with my power armor and flame throw fools

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Awesome stuff, I'd love some Fallout brand green waffles. But aren't there fifteen or sixteen other new Fallout related interviews? Surely this can't be the only one, it's so close to release..

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I want to see Nuka Cola be a direct competitor to Coka Cola or Pepsi.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

frajaq posted:

I like talking about the environments of a game I havent played yet

No talking about Fallout 4 in the Fallout 4 thread!

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

crabcakes66 posted:

No talking about Fallout 4 in the Fallout 4 thread!

What the gently caress is fallout 4?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TontoCorazon posted:

Todd Howard puts his hands together, he is in deep thought. He begins to levitate...

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

TontoCorazon posted:

It's a sequel to Woodcutter Simulator 2013

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

TontoCorazon posted:

wow I would suggest you read the thread further friend, since a lot of posters around here know basically 100% about the game (like environment and story)

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

frajaq posted:

wow I would suggest you read the thread further friend, since a lot of posters around here know basically 100% about the game (like environment and story)

Agreed. No discussion about video games in the video game forum.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

crabcakes66 posted:

Agreed. No discussion about video games in the video game forum.

Well that's what I came here for. How's the economy doing?

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

TontoCorazon posted:

Well that's what I came here for. How's the economy doing?

The Fed decided not to raise interest rates. So it's doing okay but not great.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

TontoCorazon posted:

My secret service codename.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

Todd Howard puts his hands together, he is in deep thought. He begins to levitate...

T. Howard banishes his desk from his office and arranges his worldly possessions on the floor. "All that remains is all that matters," he concludes, and provides visitors with prone seating.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

T. Howard banishes his desk from his office and arranges his worldly possessions on the floor. "All that remains is all that matters," he concludes, and provides visitors with prone seating.

We need a movie about this man. Fassbender is great, but that Jobs movie just looks kind of dull. We need a movie about a visionary who really plays by his own rules.... who really gets it.

Or maybe a show like Mad Men, but just about the Fallout 4 dev team, starring Todd Howard.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cheap Shot posted:

Yeah, that fallout monopoly looks low effort as hell. Looking at the board it looks like they just threw in images they had laying around the studio. I think I see some fallout 1 or 2 screenshots on there. Seriously? Just pay one of your artists.

Also caps printed on paper money :crossarms:

and who the hell want's to play as a vault door? Shoulda gone with a mr handy play piece instead rabble rabble

I think it was some guy on reddit or something that made it, the developers got linked and thought it was a neat idea and decided to contact the Monopoly guys and are making it a reality.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

TontoCorazon posted:

I want to see Nuka Cola be a direct competitor to Coka Cola or Pepsi.

It already has a snazzy name, just make sure it has just below the FDA-allowed amount of sugar and caffeine and we've got a hit.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Heavy Metal posted:

Or maybe a show like Mad Men, but just about the Fallout 4 dev team, starring Todd Howard.

gently caress it, just have Todd dabble as an actor to get more dough for Bethesda to blow on PR for Todd's new gig where he plans to send the profits to Bethesda where they waste it all on promoting Todd's new lead role that's made to earn him millions for Bethesda to burn on hyping Todd's latest acting pursuit designed to funnel funding into Bethesda's works that include Todd's major breakout Summer Blockbuster role that rakes in more Bethesda funbucks crafted to tailor a suitable demo of Todd's role on a TV show which is meticulously planned to ET loving CETERA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Todd Howard is evidence of omnipotent beings that created us as some kind of cosmic joke.

To be fair though, when I think "food so horrendous it would only be eaten by the desperate after the fall of civilization" Guy is like #1.

• Locked thread