Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Ravenfood posted:

I caved and preordered. Game good. I'm bad though.

Same

Im worse at elf than ever before but they made her even more fun so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Well I gave nightmare a go. We all died in about a minute and managed a combined four kills.

Man I dig this game.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is Mumble CTS still the best way to play with goons?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Is Mumble CTS still the best way to play with goons?

Friendship ended with MUMBLE

Now DISCORD is my best friend.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Statutory Ape posted:

Same

Im worse at elf than ever before but they made her even more fun so

really the way the game is balanced right now, kerillian is the all-star and the game is easily an entire difficulty selection higher without her because the hagbane erases anything it is pointed at, even entire hordes, and saltzpyre with something other than his default job is a relatively distant second (his default job isn't good, and his zealot job is only helpful because his flail ignores shields, and those are a real issue for everyone else right now)

bardin, sienna, and kruber are so pointless that they might as well just not show up. i am loving the poo poo out of the game's basics and the clear thought and love they've put into each large scale change, but when i get to cut about 1 rat every group and the result screen shows up to reveal that the pubstar elf killed 400+ enemies and most of the specials never switching from the loving hagbane and the person in second killed less than half that on both facings i seriously wonder why i bothered coming. i'm clearly not needed. i don't feel like i'm helping. i feel like i'm just there to watch kerillian and saltzpyre kill all of the rats that i wanted to kill.

unless i'm one of them in which case the game is in fact fun because i can kill things without having over half my kills stolen by some overpowered as gently caress point and click murderstick.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Coolguye posted:

really the way the game is balanced right now, kerillian is the all-star and the game is easily an entire difficulty selection higher without her because the hagbane erases anything it is pointed at, even entire hordes, and saltzpyre with something other than his default job is a relatively distant second (his default job isn't good, and his zealot job is only helpful because his flail ignores shields, and those are a real issue for everyone else right now)

bardin, sienna, and kruber are so pointless that they might as well just not show up. i am loving the poo poo out of the game's basics and the clear thought and love they've put into each large scale change, but when i get to cut about 1 rat every group and the result screen shows up to reveal that the pubstar elf killed 400+ enemies and most of the specials never switching from the loving hagbane and the person in second killed less than half that on both facings i seriously wonder why i bothered coming. i'm clearly not needed. i don't feel like i'm helping. i feel like i'm just there to watch kerillian and saltzpyre kill all of the rats that i wanted to kill.

unless i'm one of them in which case the game is in fact fun because i can kill things without having over half my kills stolen by some overpowered as gently caress point and click murderstick.
I wondered, because the first few times I was in the game I knew I was bad but the elf just tore everything up. I couldn't tell if it was because the elf was overpowered or if the elf attracts people who are going to have far more videogame time than I do.

Shame, I'd started as Saltzpyre and was thinking about trying out Kruber to see how he does.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

nah, the hagbane is absolutely loving absurd to the point of ruining the game for other players right now (imo). all of my current complaints about the game could be addressed in a balance patch ala 1.5 that made VT1 so much fun to play, but right now i really can only tolerate the game in small doses, because unless i'm playing one of two characters i'm dead weight and that's a really bad feeling in a co-op game.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Willie Tomg posted:

Friendship ended with MUMBLE

Now DISCORD is my best friend.

Thanks friend. Glad to hear I don't need to reinstall Mumble.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Is elf hegemony that bad? 40 hours in and literally never even seen an elf using a hagbane. Hell, sometimes I don't have an elf at all.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if a hagbane is in play nobody else is having any fun

like period

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Not trying to get into too much detail here, but I've found Salty's default job to be really useful. Racking up usually 300+ kills, often 400, and scoring headshots super easily. With the rapier at least.

There are definitely some balance issues here though, especially with a certain elf.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'm a slavish BW picker, but having pretty good results with her out of proportion to everyone i'm getting matchmade with. Not to say some things already mentioned couldn't use a lot of tuning, but it really doesn't feel insurmountable. God knows we've put up with worse metas out of this game and still had fun until they got smashed up (super FF hagbane and aggressively trueflight bolt staff, anybody?)

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

I'm a slavish BW picker, but having pretty good results with her out of proportion to everyone i'm getting matchmade with. Not to say some things already mentioned couldn't use a lot of tuning, but it really doesn't feel insurmountable. God knows we've put up with worse metas out of this game and still had fun until they got smashed up (super FF hagbane and aggressively trueflight bolt staff, anybody?)

Agreed on all counts. There are definitely some changes I'm not a huge fan of, particularly with certain weapons that were "go tos," but I'm liking most of what I've seen thus far. It'll be nice to have a chance to talk in more detail about it.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Coolguye posted:

like period

flamestorm staff Sienna outperforms hagbane Kerillian almost every time, Bardins flamethrower whatever that's called too in the few games I've seen it used

hagbanes too strong I agree but so are those

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
How the hell do I fix this poo poo in vermintide 2.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Coolguye posted:

like period

Drakegun destroys hordes and I'm pretty sure no one can see anything but flames when you use it.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Martout posted:

flamestorm staff Sienna outperforms hagbane Kerillian almost every time, Bardins flamethrower whatever that's called too in the few games I've seen it used

Flame... thrower :stare:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

How the hell do I fix this poo poo in vermintide 2.

I turned everything to medium, most post processing and HDR off entirely, and was able to see again.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Martout posted:

The dwarf shotgun has been getting me on the leader board for stormvermin and special kills. At least in normal mode.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I have a theory that the reason HDR is so dicey in every implementation is that the people who create and implement HDR calculations don't go outside very often, so to their subjective experience that really is how light works for them.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

I turned everything to medium, most post processing and HDR off entirely, and was able to see again.

Thanks for this.

I turned everything pretty low and apparently that hosed with everything to where I have to reset it and start again.

I just don't understand. I already got eye balls that do this, please stop making the game do this.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Drakegun destroys hordes and I'm pretty sure no one can see anything but flames when you use it.

that'd be fantastic if a hagbane elf let them get into range

but seriously, you have to be half asleep to not just feather out 5-6 and reduce the oncoming horde to 2-3 dudes. the killing happens in about one second. i loving timed it with a stopwatch playing with Lune yesterday.

the drakegun also doesn't do fantastic against stormvermin or chaos warriors right now, both of which a hagbane can kill trivially. poo poo, playing elf i killed an entire patrol of SVs by just laying down suppressing fire, none of them even got to our position. then i used kerillian's active and got all of my ammo back because lol

Martout posted:

flamestorm staff Sienna outperforms hagbane Kerillian almost every time

that is flatly untrue by the way, in the time flamestorm takes just to charge up its shot the hagbane can kill an oncoming swarm

i literally got bitched out for doing exactly that last tech beta because the wizard thought i was doing it on purpose to piss him off

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 17, 2018

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean it's a problem, and should be reported, but in the interim I guess don't play with people who play hagbane elf?

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
There are some serious balance issues still in game, but since it is a beta they will probably (hopefully) fix them before or shortly after release. As said before, dwarf with the drakecannon and elf with hagbane invalidates all other players.

As Kruber i usually just tag along and take in the sights, maybe blast a special with my gun every now and then. Its extremely boring, simplistic and makes you feel like a tag along there to witness the glory of the animu elf and shortbread mcgee.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I think part of the issue too is there's not much emphasis on acknowledging damage blocked or tanked, so if you're controlling a horde or group of big mobs while your allies tear them down the scoreboard makes it look like you didn't do anything

Grudgeraker is fun though

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah it is worth noting that unlike many developers, fatshark has shown they're not afraid to make sweeping changes to make things fun (see also: VT1's 1.5 patch) so please don't take my complaining as :goonsay: game ruined forever, ban this sick filth :goonsay:

it is, however, making me rebound off the game pretty hard in its current state because playing with a hagbane in play is pretty demoralizing.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Hell the hagbane used to be the newbie trap of V1, there to cause friendly fire and lightly tickle the rats. That is until they switched poisons from hagbane to cancerous super-arsenic and it became incredibly deadly.

Elf has always been a top tier character due to fast animations and attacks coupled with incredible boss-killer weapons. None of the other characters can match the sheer carnage a well played elf can do in either V1 or V2. Which is a shame because she is an insufferable shithead of a character, whose death none in the party should mourn,

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tenzarin posted:

Game is alot of fun. I like the changes to loot. Can you have multiple of the same class in a game, if they are different careers? All voices are played for me at like a higher frequency so they sound like chipmunks, revalidating the installation did nothing.

If you still have this problem change your audio settings in Windows to 48Khz 24bit or lower. I had the same problem when the output was set to 96Khz.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BombiTheZombie posted:

Elf has always been a top tier character due to fast animations and attacks coupled with incredible boss-killer weapons. None of the other characters can match the sheer carnage a well played elf can do in either V1 or V2.

Falchion + repeater crossbow would like a word with this

Most weapons with lower damage output also have much better CC which is absolutely invaluable as higher difficulties push you to take no hits at all if possible, and is something you don't see represented in an end of game kill count which too many people use to judge the sole value of a weapon. If I had to play cataclysm with either a good sword and shield user or a good sword and dagger user, I'd always pick the former because it makes the game so much easier for everyone else

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Does the rapier still have the potshot special attack with its own magical keybind?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Coolguye posted:

yeah it is worth noting that unlike many developers, fatshark has shown they're not afraid to make sweeping changes to make things fun (see also: VT1's 1.5 patch) so please don't take my complaining as :goonsay: game ruined forever, ban this sick filth :goonsay:

it is, however, making me rebound off the game pretty hard in its current state because playing with a hagbane in play is pretty demoralizing.

I don't disagree with any particular point you've raised, but I do think you're letting Lune and yourself and your experience with the game overall unduly color your perceptions (as I'm sure my perceptions are colored by being matched with new players like myself). I'm sure there are definitely some distended balance issues at the margins of the skill curve for sure, but man I'd love it to have an elf with the mechanical skill to shoot six or seven hagbanes at a swarm. That seems to be asking too much of elf players who are clearly still struggling with the fact that, no, you can't run off alone or defend against swarms in the wide open in this game either. That is not a feature they added in the sequel, now get back here and stop requiring all the healing items we come across plus a few more, thank you.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 17, 2018

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I haven't been outkilled by a hagbane since I got flamestorm staff and I'm average at best at this game, idk what else to say really?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Also--and this is gonna be kind of a lovely post for vagueness, sorry--but i think a few of the map "balance oddities" that we've all remarked upon might have had the rationale of forcing conversations like the ones you and Lunethex raise so Fatshark can highlight the really lovely stress points they might not have otherwise found. Finding out those One Weird Tricks and bringing them all into tune with each other, y'know?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Giant Isopod posted:

Does the rapier still have the potshot special attack with its own magical keybind?
Yep! At least at level 5ish, its pretty useful for popping off a pretty damaging long-range attack without having to switch weapons.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

I'm sure there are definitely some distended balance issues at the margins of the skill curve for sure, but man I'd love it to have an elf with the mechanical skill to shoot six or seven hagbanes at a swarm.
the reason i think this is an issue and you don't have lune in here using hyperbolic language like he is sometimes prone to is because this is not the margin of the skill curve. i'm not a deity at VT, as digirat can attest to you. i can hold my own and i use my ears but i simply do not have time for fiddly frame-perfect horseshit or using advanced movement tech (which, while we're on the subject, Kerillian ALSO has over everyone else because her spear's strong attack makes her charge quite a distance and is spammable - net result being that she can physically move ~20% faster than anyone else and will always win a footrace to a group of dudes). this distinction is precisely why Lune and I work well together; he does a fantastic job of being right at the skill ceiling, and i do my part by distilling the practical parts of his style down for general consumption.

it is not difficult to rapid fire off hagbane arrows. it's a fairly simple rhythm that requires a few minutes of practice but since you get immediate feedback when you do it right it's easy to master. after you get it down, there's no serious threats to the player anymore unless they get blindsided (which happens a lot right now because spawning is really messed up), and, worse, they are so lethal that it leaves other players with very little to do.

Willie Tomg posted:

Also--and this is gonna be kind of a lovely post for vagueness, sorry--but i think a few of the map "balance oddities" that we've all remarked upon might have had the rationale of forcing conversations like the ones you and Lunethex raise so Fatshark can highlight the really lovely stress points they might not have otherwise found. Finding out those One Weird Tricks and bringing them all into tune with each other, y'know?

there's no way a lot of this stuff is intentional with the hell march of preparation that is no doubt involved in bringing this game to release. they've already made a few changes to the hagbane from the last beta, as a matter of fact, because it was so loving hugely far afield. they reduced the AOE of the poison- it used to be roughly twice as wide as a player model, now it is roughly as wide as a player model. it's still a substantial impact zone and kerillian's active immediately restores half of her ammo so the change was completely toothless.

balance is just one of those squishy things that requires ongoing attention and care to get right. it's in a very, very bad state right now and i find it hard to believe it will get much better before release since they're undoubtedly going to be handling more serious bugs. we know from past experience that they do give a crap about it though.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 17, 2018

roxxor5678
Jan 17, 2005

Ad by Khad posted:

Well I gave nightmare a go. We all died in about a minute and managed a combined four kills.

Man I dig this game.

Keep banging your head against that wall. I finally worked through both of the maps on nightmare with the help of 3 randoms who will also burn out long before the game is actually released, was really satisfying. And as a callback to early Vermintide 1, the chest reward was all white items both times.

Ran into some really strange bugs related to friendly fire and echoing the insane balance issues at the more extreme end of the game. I wish the in-game report went beyond just being stuck.

roxxor5678 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 17, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think if there's any issue with the game in its current state it's that the balance is absolutely kind of fucky in some way or another. it's hard to put my finger on what or how exactly since i'm not an expert, but it's noticeable.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'll post specifics later if anyone really cares, but my experience with the sequel has been intensely negative across the board in ways that I do not think are fixable with a few balance changes and I don't see myself putting in even a fifth of the time I put into vermintide 1

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'd be genuinely interested in whatever people have to say. my time with it so far has been alright, but, i'm not someone to really understand the finer details in a way that would make me even remotely qualified to make good opinions on what would improve the game. all i have is a weird, vague feeling about how it plays out that i can't really put into words all that well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Haha.

I was in a match with 3 other people via quick play.

One dies about half way through and instead of waiting to be rescued, he leaves.

This gives us a bot instead. Sure, this is fine.

Then I see a loading screen and I am back at the start of the round with 3 bots.

• Locked thread