Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

Movie Little Shop of Horrors is the best version IMO, despite the absence of Mushnik and Son. Everything else is just so goddamn on point.

Any chance to post the original ending that test audiences shot down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RjFvcw6ToQ

The last part is just 5 minutes of Audrey 2s 9/11ing New York City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

PostNouveau posted:

Any chance to post the original ending that test audiences shot down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RjFvcw6ToQ

The last part is just 5 minutes of Audrey 2s 9/11ing New York City.

Thank you for appreciating my ancestors' work

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Empty Sandwich posted:

Did you get to see good Simpsons as they happened? No judgment; I just feel as though everybody else here is Old (I am Old)

I didn't watch it first-run (it conflicted with a local public-affairs show the local PBS affiliate aired on Sunday night) but I watched a lot in syndication in college in the early 2000s (and I liked it enough to actually buy that awful "Simpsons and Philosophy" book :sigh:).

My group of friends in college was more into Adult Swim so, again, I didn't really watch it "live" then either and it seems like it would have been in the middle of the long sad slide into being bad.

:shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 28, 2020

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
here's a pointless story:

a grad school buddy really loved the Simpsons. we primarily communicated in quotes. (he didn't die of brain damage; don't worry.)

two of his childhood friends, both named Chris (one was Sasquatch Chris, bc he was large and hairy; the was other Dead People Chris, bc he saw ghosts a lot, and always carried his orb photos to show people) came into town one Sunday night to see a Dylan concert. I went over and had beers with them.

they started to get ready to go to the concert, and Sasquatch Chris said, "you know what? I'm just going to stay and watch the Simpsons." I told him it was going to be a rerun, and he said "eh, it's fine" and handed me his hundred-dollar floor ticket.

I got to see Dylan for free, which was very nice, while he watched a 2005-season rerun.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Empty Sandwich posted:

here's a pointless story:

a grad school buddy really loved the Simpsons. we primarily communicated in quotes. (he didn't die of brain damage; don't worry.)

two of his childhood friends, both named Chris (one was Sasquatch Chris, bc he was large and hairy; the was other Dead People Chris, bc he saw ghosts a lot, and always carried his orb photos to show people) came into town one Sunday night to see a Dylan concert. I went over and had beers with them.

they started to get ready to go to the concert, and Sasquatch Chris said, "you know what? I'm just going to stay and watch the Simpsons." I told him it was going to be a rerun, and he said "eh, it's fine" and handed me his hundred-dollar floor ticket.

I got to see Dylan for free, which was very nice, while he watched a 2005-season rerun.

For some reason, the way you told this is charming as hell. Good job.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It would make a rad as gently caress tent pole s7 episode we would still be talking about today

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Musicals can own, especially when the dancing is just as good as the music.

And that’s why Seven Brides for Seven Brothers has the best goddamn dance sequence ever, the barn raising dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbzJtP75NqM

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That is pretty good

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The dance sequence in Seven Brides is amazing.

Shame about the rest of the film!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

You Are A Elf posted:

And that’s why Seven Brides for Seven Brothers has the best goddamn dance sequence ever, the barn raising dance:

Tis a fine barn but sure tis no pool english.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

You Are A Elf posted:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Empty Sandwich posted:

Did you get to see good Simpsons as they happened? No judgment; I just feel as though everybody else here is Old (I am Old)

I was thinking about this the other day, I watched seasons 1-10 religiously, and then the next few seasons sporadically, then kinda drifted away in the mid-2000s as I moved into my mid-20s. Did I drift away from them due to life, or because they weren't necessary watching anymore?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Probably both. For me, the decline in quality created free time to do other activities (think of Itchy & Scratchy & Marge), but before that it was a good enough show that I would purposefully make time to watch it. I used to tape every episode until I realized I wasn't going to watch the ones I had just recorded.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I watched the show from its origins on the Tracey Ullman Show religiously until (and this is a controversial opinion) the seventh season, where I first noticed the cracks forming. I still enjoyed the show tremendously, but I also felt I didn’t need to watch it every week (even though I almost always still did), and so I started taping it around then to watch later (or to just enjoy a good episode again). It took a few more seasons of watching taped episodes for me to finally ask myself, “do I really want to watch this [season 10] episode?” and just kind of gave up on the mediocrity. I eventually did see the new episodes in reruns, but they blew rear end.

It took a couple more years of mourning the loss of the heart of the show until Al Jean took over, and that piqued my interest in watching it again in season 13. What I saw was about as good as when I noticed the show slipping badly in the first place; some fun episodes, nothing really stupendous, and some mediocre ones.

Looking through the list of unmemorable episodes (seriously, even the titles don’t ring a bell for me) I must have stopped watching altogether during the 15th season until the Simpsons Movie came out, which I gave a solid 3 out of 5 at the time (I was more optimistic back then) and haven’t watched since lmao.

The movie made me watch the new 19th season, and after watching “That 90s Show,” I was done with the show for loving good. What a fuckfest shitballs assbutt slap in the face of an episode to longtime fans such as I by killing the continuity of the show (and just being an absolutely terrible “HEY MILLENNIALS REMEMBER THIS? 90S REFERENCE 90S REFERENCE 90S REFERENCE 90S REFERENCE” no substance pile of poo poo), and I haven’t seen a new episode since.

That was 12 years ago, and the show is still going :butts:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i watched it as episodes came out, along with all the reruns, every night.

the episode that really killed the show for me, was the one with kim basinger and alec baldwin. i didn’t know who they were, and i didn’t care. even before then, i was watching the show (and tv, in general) less, because i had internet

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

the episode that really killed the show for me, was the one with kim basinger and alec baldwin. i didn’t know who they were, and i didn’t care. even before then, i was watching the show (and tv, in general) less, because i had internet

The only thing I remember about that episode is Homer's "Ray Bolger is looking out for Ray Bolger," line.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I looked up the Wikipedia entry for that one to remind myself and let me be the first to say what the gently caress

quote:

Total Film's Nathan Ditum ranked Baldwin and Basinger's performances as the second-best guest appearances in the show's history.

What was the best one, Total Film's Nathan Ditum? Lady Gaga?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

But they appeared in the Simpsons! And they were famous!!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

sweet geek swag posted:

The only thing I remember about that episode is Homer's "Ray Bolger is looking out for Ray Bolger," line.

"Homer! We're out of vodka!" got some play with us

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

That was the first one I remember thinking "what the hell was that"

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Like most people in the UK I started watching the Simpsons when it came to BBC2 in 1996 (it was on satellite / cable TV before that but we weren't rich). I think they got new episodes within a year or so of them airing in the US and they had a huge back catalogue to dip into, so between 1996 and around 1998 (age 11-13 for me) I got access to a concentrated dose of Good Simpsons.

I definitely watched every episode in this book, which covered the first 8 seasons, and kind of fell off after that. Sounds like the show did too.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

In 6th grade when this had just released, I tried to pass this off for a book report, and I had to present it to the class. Which is basically a Simpsons joke in itself. IIRC the teacher ended up giving me a C because, although not actually a novel, I relayed a surprising amount of Simpsons information.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Speaking of books, this was an insanely well fleshed out book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3gRMJoed_w

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

AHH F/UGH posted:

Speaking of books, this was an insanely well fleshed out book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3gRMJoed_w

Yeah this is a good one, this and the first Complete Guide are all-time great "bathroom books". Bart Simpson's Guide to Life doesn't hold up as well as these do.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Party Boat posted:

Like most people in the UK I started watching the Simpsons when it came to BBC2 in 1996 (it was on satellite / cable TV before that but we weren't rich). I think they got new episodes within a year or so of them airing in the US and they had a huge back catalogue to dip into, so between 1996 and around 1998 (age 11-13 for me) I got access to a concentrated dose of Good Simpsons.

One of the highlights of visiting my granny was she had Sky so we could watch new Simpsons seasons while the BBC was cycling though seasons 1 and 2.
People used to get Sky subscriptions for the Simpsons

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

Wasn't it paired up with Ren & Stimpy in the evenings too? - funny to think how Channel 4 only ever broadcast Bad Simpsons after they bought the rights to the show.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
It was paired up with a bunch of things on BBC2: Fresh Prince, Robot Wars, Farscape, My Wife and Kids, led into with The Weakest Link... That I can remember all that probably shows how much I watched it at the time.

Edit: there was a time when I was annoyed at BBC for constantly cycling through seasons 1-5. Then we got Sky for the football and even back then it felt like a monkey's paw of some description.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 30, 2020

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Yeah this is a good one, this and the first Complete Guide are all-time great "bathroom books". Bart Simpson's Guide to Life doesn't hold up as well as these do.

Absolutely tremendous to read while making GBS threads

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Riptor posted:

Absolutely tremendous to read while making GBS threads

Yep, I had this and its follow-up in my bathroom shitter for years and years

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

All I remember from Bart Simpson's Guide to Life was the message to the dirty rotten low-life who swiped this book

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Party Boat posted:

All I remember from Bart Simpson's Guide to Life was the message to the dirty rotten low-life who swiped this book

All I remember is it had a section for signs that someone's a space mutant in disguise. One of them was that if someone checks their fly as they leave the bathroom, it's actually a salute to the command ship. For some reason that's got stuck in my brain, so even now if I check my fly I'll often think "oops need to salute the command ship!"

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

The Alec Baldwin/Kim Basinger episode was definitely an episode I thought sucked even when I first saw it, but, I remember it made a whole bunch of jokes at Ron Howard's expense, which is always a plus, and it had Homer raging against celebrities for drinking ~Royal Cola~ which is a line I think of every time I see RC Cola in stores.

Season 10 had both that episode and the episode where they go to the Super Bowl which, while not, like, atrocious, it's just so empty. Just "Hey, it's Dolly Parton!" and the jokes are barely there as an excuse to chug the plot forward. The Vincent Price's Egg Dying Kit should be a good joke for the B-plot, but they just didn't put any effort in it other than "Hey, wouldn't it be wacky if..." and hoped Dan Castellaneta's Vincent Price impression would carry it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The cracks started really showing in Season 10 but it still has some solid to great episodes and I still lump it in with the other previous, strong, seasons.

Season 11 is the one that crossed the Rubicon for me and I distinctly remember the Florida spring break episode with Kid Rock and the alligator being one that made me not really want to watch anymore. At least not religiously like I did for all the previous episodes. “Behind the Laughter” was the death rattle of the season and it showed the series could still have life in it but it never recovered. I don’t think I watched any season 12 when it aired and that’s crazy because we recorded, watched, and rewatched every episode before then.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I agree completely on the Super Bowl episode. It's not bad bad, but so much of what went wrong soon after can be seen in it. Just so many disconnected jokes revolving around guest stars, try-hard meta-humour that wasn't funny at all, a all-round silly plot, etc.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

It's weird, so many people, myself included, remember watching the original airings of the elf jockey and Florida spring break episodes and being extremely confused and turned off by what they saw. It's almost as if the cosmos themselves aligned and had everyone at home at the right time for everyone to witness those terrible loving episodes live.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I thought the elf jockey episode was funny, but then again, I was 12 when it aired.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

The Elf Jockey episode was definitely not a good episode, but I also didn't have such a reverential eye to the Simpsons when I saw it. There were jokes in it that were funny, the deep voiced elf singing about living "deep underground in a fiberglass tree" was weird enough to stick with me, it just wasn't good Simpsons. It wasn't as wretched as later Simpsons would get, it just was a step down from earlier seasons where the plots and characters were less ridiculous.

Sometimes I wonder what it'd be like if Seasons 8-12 weren't The Simpsons and were, instead, its own short-lived Fox Adult Cartoon. Obviously, a lot of those episodes' problem was that they were just coasting on the established Simpsons history, so it's all hypothetical, but I think it'd be remembered as a funny enough, but not memorable, show. The kind that shows up in a PYF thread where someone champions it, a couple people share their fond remembrances, tinged with "though the show definitely had some duds," and maybe someone saying it could have done with a fifth season. Outlandishness and characters becoming flatter don't hurt the show as much if there's not the good seasons to compare itself against.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Precambrian posted:

The Alec Baldwin/Kim Basinger episode was definitely an episode I thought sucked even when I first saw it, but, I remember it made a whole bunch of jokes at Ron Howard's expense, which is always a plus, and it had Homer raging against celebrities for drinking ~Royal Cola~ which is a line I think of every time I see RC Cola in stores.

yes! the Ron Howard-as-an-rear end in a top hat character carried on for another episode or two, and I enjoyed that.

the main problem I think isn't even necessarily the ridiculous celeb cameos in that episode but that the plot ends up turning when Homer becomes an incredibly jerky jerkass jerk. just a complete irredeemable rear end in a top hat.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yeah I never hated the jockey elf episode. It wasn't a good episode but it had some decent jokes and I guess I was never someone who really cared about the sanctity of reality of the show. I think I started watching around season 10, but that was actually a pretty good time to start since you were getting 10 reruns from the good years for every new episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

AHH F/UGH posted:

It's weird, so many people, myself included, remember watching the original airings of the elf jockey and Florida spring break episodes and being extremely confused and turned off by what they saw. It's almost as if the cosmos themselves aligned and had everyone at home at the right time for everyone to witness those terrible loving episodes live.

I think it was the consistent years of watching great episodes every week, rewatching classic episodes over and over, and then we all sat down and watched those two episodes and it was like a whole different show. It stuck out in a way that can’t happen now because the quality and expectations are so consistently low.