Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Something tells me that I'm going to do an Unstable draft exactly once and if the lands are worth it, scoop up as many as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

There is an incredible amount of bitching about the new tribal land. I think its the perfect kind of uncommon, especially for a land. Cavern of souls was a mistake.

Cavern was one of those stupid rares where they take a normal card and just start adding abilities until it's too good. Oh it's a five-color land for tribal decks? Let's add the ability to add colorless mana to cast non-creatures. While we're at it let's just make counterspells useless forever.

UberJew posted:

moving away from fixed rules is a really good move, probably because i started playing regularly with theros i always go back to that block as like the perfect example of a great set that just got worse with each release

also im an idiot moron who is going to have to come back to prerelease an unset since i missed the originals and really enjoyed the conspiracy draft format

Theros is a weird example because the block would have been much better if the third set was a large set and the first two sets didn't exist. Heroic in draft was real unpleasant to play and watch.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

dragon enthusiast posted:

now that we got large sets all day erry day what's the size of standard gonna be like compared to TSP/LOR

Its still going to be a helluva lot smaller than our current standard which is loving huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

The Shortest Path posted:

Even MTGS isn't bitching about this card and they bitch about everything.

I, for one, am hype as gently caress for being able to build all kinds of janky modern tribal decks for like 50 bucks since I don't need to buy caverns now. Caverns will still make them better, but budget is good.

I welcome the return of our Sliver overlords. Seriously...I think that deck will demolish most other creature based agro including Death's Shadow.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

It was impossible to make FNM promos something people wanted. Tokens are a serious upgrade.

Looks at new uncommon cavern of souls that is a promo for standard league. Yup impossible to make promos people want.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

jassi007 posted:

Looks at new uncommon cavern of souls that is a promo for standard league. Yup impossible to make promos people want.

I hope he was being sarcastic.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

now that we got large sets all day erry day what's the size of standard gonna be like compared to TSP/LOR

probably still smaller, large sets were like 50 cards bigger back then and core sets were enormous, and TSP was even bigger still due to the timeshifted sheet

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

There is an incredible amount of bitching about the new tribal land. I think its the perfect kind of uncommon, especially for a land. Cavern of souls was a mistake.

Bitching that what? It's too powerful? That is ridiculous.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

FNM promos being replaced by tokens is good, because you can't get foil tokens normally. Nearly every fnm promo before was a foil card from sets anyway, so what the heck?

Tainen posted:

:siren:WOTC account spotted:siren:

Nah OFS is right. I get some sick foil tokens for my cube instead of garbage with bad art and nobody else I know will want them so it'll be easy to get them.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Bitching that what? It's too powerful? That is ridiculous.

It is a strict downgrade to Cavern of Souls.

But, sort of in the way Cancel is a strict downgrade to Counterspell, or Unsummon weaker than Vapor Snag.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's more of a counterspell to mana drain comparison, imo.

where the weaker version is still hecka good because the powerful version is utterly broken.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Star Man posted:

Something tells me that I'm going to do an Unstable draft exactly once and if the lands are worth it, scoop up as many as I can.

MaRo said there would be special rules for drafting the lands and the black bordered card.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Tainen posted:

MaRo said there would be special rules for drafting the lands and the black bordered card.

Take your basic land out before drafting the pack?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hellsau posted:

Take your basic land out before drafting the pack?

The problem is that steamflogger boss replaces a basic land (this was by far the easiest way for them to make it black bordered given how their printing works)

I suspect the new procedure will just be "leave the basic land in"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have no qualms about going 0-3 in an Unstable draft if the lands are worth grabbing.

If the lands use the same full art template they startes using in Zendikar in 2009, then I'm not even going to bother with a one-time novelty draft. I don't care how good the illustrations are if they are in a poo poo frame.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It is a strict downgrade to Cavern of Souls.

But, sort of in the way Cancel is a strict downgrade to Counterspell, or Unsummon weaker than Vapor Snag.

Cavern of Souls would be perfectly fine in Standard.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm pretty sure my decision on whether to draft Unstable will be entirely based on who else from my LGS looks like they're going to be in the pod.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
So we're not getting no-art lands ala Pokemon energy cards?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Star Man posted:

I have no qualms about going 0-3 in an Unstable draft if the lands are worth grabbing.

If the lands use the same full art template they startes using in Zendikar in 2009, then I'm not even going to bother with a one-time novelty draft. I don't care how good the illustrations are if they are in a poo poo frame.

they're not

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

uPen posted:

So we're not getting no-art lands ala Pokemon energy cards?

I've been hoping for No Art lands for over a decade now, so I hope not!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
All basics and vanilla creatures should be full art all the time, imo.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The cycle of vanilla dudes in Future Sight with full art was pretty great imo.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

whats the best vanilla creature in standard currently? The 3/3 naga?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

gif Probst posted:

Does Falkenrath Gorger count? Desert Red doesn't use its ability.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lone Goat posted:

Does Falkenrath Gorger count? Desert Red doesn't use its ability.

I'm sure that someone has pulled it off with Hazoret.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

gif Probst posted:

it's gotta be Expedition Envoy by a mile, right

after actually looking at a list the next one after that is probably terrain elemental

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Elyv posted:

it's gotta be Expedition Envoy by a mile, right

after actually looking at a list the next one after that is probably terrain elemental

Huh. I drafted KAL and AER/KAL pretty much every week and didn't know Terrain Elemental was a card. Weird.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I believe it's exclusive to the intro decks.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

whydirt posted:

I believe it's exclusive to the intro decks.

yeah, this is correct

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So when playing Vizier Knightfall... Reflector mage.

Yes or no.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yes or no.

to what end

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yes or no.

What would you cut for it? Are you running Spell Quellers?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheChirurgeon posted:

I wouldn't call core sets returning as "whoops, we hosed up" so much as "an experiment that didn't work." There's a big difference between the two and I think it was worth trying. It's also a completely different set release strategy to bring them back for.

every draft format should aspire to be as fun as m11 core set draft

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

muon posted:

What would you cut for it? Are you running Spell Quellers?

Yeah.

Basically 20 lands and the following

4 nobles
3 birds
4 viziers
4 druids
2 duskwatch
2 eternal witness
4 reflectors
3 spell quellers
4 KotR
1 Ballista

3 chord
4 company
2 retreat

I cut the oozes and voices for quellers and mages. Bringing more in line with the Japan lista

Edit: Forgot the Ballista

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 23, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Brewing a new idea for a BR aggro deck. Gonna be a bit pricier than I can really swing right now, but I'll be trying to assemble it a little at a time. Would really like to know if it has some glaring flaws before I do anything with it, though.

Deck: Blast Processing

//Main
4 Aether Hub
3 Bloodlust Inciter
4 Bomat Courier
2 Canyon Slough
3 Claim // Fame //
2 Combat Celebrant
2 Crash Through
4 Earthshaker Khenra
2 Fatal Push
4 Glint-Sleeve Siphoner
3 Harnessed Lightning
3 Ifnir Deadlands
3 Lathnu Hellion
2 Live Fast
6 Mountain
3 Ramunap Ruins
4 Scrapheap Scrounger
4 Swamp
2 Unlicensed Disintegration

//Sideboard
4 Abrade
3 Crook of Condemnation
2 Fatal Push
2 Insult // Injury //
2 Never // Return //
2 Unlicensed Disintegration

Display deck statistics

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

rabidsquid posted:

every draft format should aspire to be as fun as m13 core set draft

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

rabidsquid posted:

every draft format should aspire to be as fun as the set i played when i first got into drafting

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

no i dont want to go back to drafting ice age

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

rabidsquid posted:

no i dont want to go back to drafting Torment

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

rabidsquid posted:

every draft format should aspire to be as fun as cube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

But seriously Lorwyn/Morningtide was the best drafting ever.