Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Playing 3R. Looking at hanging out with Track Guy. Got "I don't think our bond will grow any stronger even if I spend more time with Miyamoto..." Does that mean social links are timelocked, or is it just saying I don't have enough points to get the next level right now? Don't remember seeing that kind of popup in 4/5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Playing 3R. Looking at hanging out with Track Guy. Got "I don't think our bond will grow any stronger even if I spend more time with Miyamoto..." Does that mean social links are timelocked, or is it just saying I don't have enough points to get the next level right now? Don't remember seeing that kind of popup in 4/5.

the latter. most links require a compatible persona and all correct answers to guarantee a level up after one hangout, and there are a bunch that'll require multiple anyway because there aren't any extra points to be gained for their story events

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

man we need to send some of the money we collect in the collective unconciousness directly to a fund for Yusuke

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Track guy is confusing. Feeding somebody's ego to rank up is one thing. Actively covering for a dude who's getting himself injured is quite another.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

On the one hand, you don't find out how serious it is until the same event where he tells you why he's doing it

On the other, you still end up hiding it for a while before that happens, and he ultimately ends up deciding to go into recovery anyway, so those lies end up being for nothing

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Makoto is an enabler at heart, he is canonically friends with Kenji.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jon Irenicus posted:

man we need to send some of the money we collect in the collective unconciousness directly to a fund for Yusuke

Right? One of my favorite gift reactions from any confidant is when you give him food and he joyously says something along the lines of, "I can survive for another three days!"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

but it doesn't work because Royal adds a reference to the grappling hook in Kasumi's confidant, and none of the cops ever saw Joker use it.

Couldn't they have just confiscated it?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Track guy is confusing. Feeding somebody's ego to rank up is one thing. Actively covering for a dude who's getting himself injured is quite another.

The most generous interpretation I can think of is that Makoto knows he's going to train no matter what and respects that track guy is aware of the potential severity of the injury - which IIRC does end up being the case).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 12, 2024

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Oxxidation posted:

the latter. most links require a compatible persona and all correct answers to guarantee a level up after one hangout, and there are a bunch that'll require multiple anyway because there aren't any extra points to be gained for their story events

Still feels really bad to have to grind to get those rank ups. The old couple, gourmet king, team manager, all playing hard to get.

Also, feels cruel that Maya does that poo poo too, since as far as I can tell, you only get one chance per week on Sunday for that social link.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Chump Farts posted:

Still feels really bad to have to grind to get those rank ups. The old couple, gourmet king, team manager, all playing hard to get.

Also, feels cruel that Maya does that poo poo too, since as far as I can tell, you only get one chance per week on Sunday for that social link.

the trick is to only do school links when school is in. hermit couple and gourmet king are available on off days so you can keep them in reserve for the lengthy vacations

yuko's a tough nut to crack though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing with Persona 3 is that they wrote the S links not to be something you do optimally. There was originally no Telos to aim for and getting all the social links wasn't an intended design element with a reward. You could mess up or reverse or upset people and that was considered a valid outcome. You were expected to treat it more like a dating sim where you picked the choices that felt right to you instead of picking the Optimal Choices In Every Situation You Must Get Max Points With Everyone. The game's dialogue even backs this up, and even once they added Telos in Fes Igor's dialogue was more like "Boy, you sure change yourself for everyone you meet, huh?" rather than it being presented as a natural thing.

Picking what the character wants to hear is obviously going to be the thing that gets you the most points because you're telling them what they want to hear, but in theory what you should be doing is not consulting a guide or savescum to get the correct answers but pick the answers that feel right to you and if it means you don't befriend a dude then maybe you didn't actually want to befriend that guy anyway, there are tons of social links and each one gives you poo poo powerful enough to finish the game.

Obviously as the game has progressed and gotten all the rough edges sanded off it becomes more and more viable to just get the Correct Answer To Everything, which is more player friendly but doesn't mix well with the original intended writing. (This is also part of why the P3P and P3R social links flow better because they're more designed around encouraging a friend rather than telling them what they want to hear.)

It's a case of an understandable design ("Players will pick what they want to say to the character") butting up against reality ("Players will pick the absolutely optimal choice in every single situation regardless of the context or how it makes their character come across.")

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 12, 2024

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Majorian posted:

Right? One of my favorite gift reactions from any confidant is when you give him food and he joyously says something along the lines of, "I can survive for another three days!"

I feel like it was mostly Yusuke spending all his extra money on artbooks and art supplies than food with us realizing his usual priorities are a bit messed up beyond the fact that Joker could fund the entire PT as a millionaire :shobon:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am pretty sure you could give Yusuke any amount of money and he'd spend it on like a pretty rock and not even think about it. You have to give him food for him to eat food.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, Yusuke is the only Phantom Thief with a steady income; he gets a scholarship stipend, which is supplemented by the occasional prize money. He just spends all of both of those on art supplies and spontaneous souvenirs.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
this wall art from persona 1 would make a sick "big dogs" tshirt

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure you could give Yusuke any amount of money and he'd spend it on like a pretty rock and not even think about it. You have to give him food for him to eat food.

lol fair enough, but still, my poor boy is starving!:negative:

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure you could give Yusuke any amount of money and he'd spend it on like a pretty rock and not even think about it.

Unlike P5 Protag, who is very good with money and does not spend it on any pretty rocks whatsoever.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

P5 Protag spends most of the Phantom Thieves' budget on renting X-Files DVDs.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

P5 Protag spends most of the Phantom Thieves' budget on renting X-Files DVDs.

Hey, he got a major deal on that lifetime subscription.:colbert:

No, in my experience, Joker spends most of the team's money on fusing high-level personas that he's never going to use because their names aren't "Yoshitsune."

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

"Wow Ren cool new persona. By the way, where did the team's ¥1,000,000 go?"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It is canon (I think from the manga?) that all of the phantom thieves are somehow even worse with money than Joker is, and letting him blow millions on an afternoon in his brain jail is still better than the alternative of splitting the imaginary real money eight ways or letting Makoto have some.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Chump Farts posted:

Maya is also available on weekdays when you don’t have school. I don’t think that includes summer but I haven’t played in a while.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Janissary Hop posted:

"Wow Ren cool new persona. By the way, where did the team's ¥1,000,000 go?"

Ren: I spent it all on fusing this Chi You!

Ryuji: Whoa FOR REAL?! Is that like gonna completely turn the tide and make fighting bosses easier?

Ren: lol no gently caress that, I'm just gonna feed him to Yoshitsune for a stat bonus.

Ryuji: ...b-but that's the highest persona in my arcana...I thought that would mean something to you-

Ren: yeah too late, he's Yosh food.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Yeah there is a real nasty undercurrent in P3 social links of just telling people what they want to hear to make them like you more quickly. Ignorant of how accurate this may or may not be, it just kind of sucks. But by the same token the P3 social links are a very rough draft of what they'd be in 4-5 and you can feel the difference in writing when it comes to Junpei or Akihiko asking to just hang out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the non-romance links feel a bit worse in that regard because they got basically no change in Reload. The girls they at least wrote in platonic routes so had to do a little rewriting for that.

But Kenji and Kazuichi feel the worst of it because it feels like you’re actively encouraging them (at least if you want to get max points), while for other SLs like Keisuke or Maya you’re just an audience for them flailing about and working through their own issues while things happen to them. Like even with Nozomi, all you are is a listening ear until his Rank 9.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Keisuke is clearly under a curse because people always become gravely ill in his presence.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maybe if you never start the Fortune link, you live past March.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

lmao, that would be the cruelest trick any game has played on someone like me with completionist brainworms.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Judging from how ignored that Social Link tends to be, not really :v:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
somehow Keisuke "heart attack aura" Hiraga is still the least deadly of the three characters in P3 associated with the Fortune arcana

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah there is a real nasty undercurrent in P3 social links of just telling people what they want to hear to make them like you more quickly. Ignorant of how accurate this may or may not be, it just kind of sucks.

I feel like it's kind of emphasized when the narrator will be like "_____ trusts you more now..." after a rank-up lol

ApplesandOranges posted:

But Kenji and Kazuichi feel the worst of it because it feels like you’re actively encouraging them (at least if you want to get max points), while for other SLs like Keisuke or Maya you’re just an audience for them flailing about and working through their own issues while things happen to them. Like even with Nozomi, all you are is a listening ear until his Rank 9.

I don't think you're really encouraging Kenji much. It comes off more like "just tolerating him and being a friendly audience" (like how you described Keisuke/Maya).

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Personally, my headcanon has always been that P3 Protag just tries to be deadpan sarcastic through all of Kenji's link and he's kind of bad at it, so Kenji doesn't catch on and thinks his bff encourages him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like to think he’s egging him on just to see what’ll happen and doesn’t realize until it’s too late how seriously Kenji’s taking it

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like the read that Makoto just Kind Of Sucks, which is why he has social links like Kenji's, and refuses to hang out with anyone from SEES unless it's for the job or because he's trying to get in their pants. It explains perfectly why Ryoji's entire personality is brooding or being thirsty, and why Nyx concludes that humanity is ready to die.

Reload kind of ruins it by adding all those linked episodes and hangs and platonic routes, which is why it is not canon. :colbert:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I beat P3Reload last week and now I'm replaying P4 Golden for the first time since it came out on Vita. I played P3R on Normal and am playing P4G on Normal and P4G's Normal is scaled way more difficult than P3R's. P3R felt like a cakewalk. I'm guessing that P3R's Normal is scaled closer to the other game's Easy.

Also I miss a lot of the QOL features of P3R already, as well as the way its menus worked. I keep hitting Rush in P4G when I meant to use Persona skills.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

I beat P3Reload last week and now I'm replaying P4 Golden for the first time since it came out on Vita. I played P3R on Normal and am playing P4G on Normal and P4G's Normal is scaled way more difficult than P3R's. P3R felt like a cakewalk. I'm guessing that P3R's Normal is scaled closer to the other game's Easy.

Also I miss a lot of the QOL features of P3R already, as well as the way its menus worked. I keep hitting Rush in P4G when I meant to use Persona skills.

The difficulty will even out eventually. Like most (maybe all?) Persona games, P4G is by far the hardest at the start. By the time you get your real navigator, you'll likely start sailing through things.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah the first two bosses of P4G are pretty rough. It's super easy after that but that's par for the course for Persona games.

And that's their toned down version, they were way harder in original.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also the intended gameplay loop of P4 is that you do part of a dungeon, leave, sell your enemy drops to upgrade your gear, and head back in. Going by the relative character levels, they probably wanted you to run through each floor multiple times, even. The other games tie gear to plot progress and give you upgrades in the dungeons.

If you go in intending to do the dungeons in a single day, for plot or time reasons, you will face the bosses undergeared and underleveled, and with no easy way to recover SP, which is why the first couple P4 dungeons seem massively harder. Later in the game you can remedy most of this, and being a tier of gear behind is less impactful.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
P4G’s sos requests makes it way easier to take a dungeon in one day, where P3R has no such passive SP recovery and you’re limited to whatever sodas you can get your hands on. Getting an Invigorate 1 card in P3R felt like manna from Heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

P4G’s sos requests makes it way easier to take a dungeon in one day, where P3R has no such passive SP recovery and you’re limited to whatever sodas you can get your hands on. Getting an Invigorate 1 card in P3R felt like manna from Heaven.

I spent a while collecting a Spirit Drain and Drain Ability and never regretted the time since it allows you just stay in until you want to leave by draining everything.