Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I disliked Vaughn in BL3, but he's hardly the worst character in the series. The medalists of the Worst Borderlands Character Olympics are imo (1st) Pickle, (2nd) Ava, and (3rd) Janey Springs. gently caress Pickle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

thebardyspoon posted:

I remember Rhys being mostly fine in BL3 and pretty similar to his characterisation in Tales, he just suffered from the same issue every character in that game did, where you had to stand and listen to their entire thing before they handed you an object or you could give them an object and then you could continue moving to wherever you have to go rather than moving while listening. Even alright dialogue becomes tedious and actively annoying at that point. I do remember Vaughn was awful though.

yeah i quite disliked rhys as well but maybe it would've been more bearable if his goofs and gags and schtick didn't just completely halt the game. also i haven't played tales so maybe that context would've made him more charming instead of just another megacorporation arms dealer ceo that we're now supposed to like for some reason.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

DontMockMySmock posted:

I disliked Vaughn in BL3, but he's hardly the worst character in the series. The medalists of the Worst Borderlands Character Olympics are imo (1st) Pickle, (2nd) Ava, and (3rd) Janey Springs. gently caress Pickle.
Lilith slammed directly onto Pickle when she flew into Elpis at the end of 3.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

ava is fine. i'm not gonna go as far as to call her good, mostly because it is borderlands 3 and the peaks of character and writing are still worse than most good games' valleys but still. i dunno her annoying qualities are just much less grating to me than most other characters in the game because she doesn't constantly halt the game to tell jokes at you. also the side quest where you go retrieve her diary is one of the better in the game. you get to spend more time in the best environment in the game and the combat encounters are fun, and the absolutely overexaggerated meanspiritudness of the writing in that mission is one of the few jokes in the game that lands. but i dunno i still paint my nails matte black and think senses fail have some great songs so i'm completely immune to emo melodrama cringe.

that said i couldn't care less about sirens or the mechanics of their existence and all that, and everything related to it makes my eyes glaze over but that's a problem that extends waaaay further than ava as a character.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

People wouldn't mind Ava half as much if Maya wasn't vaporised to make way for her.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I'm hard pressed to think of any Borderlands 2 - present character that I didn't want to just have them shut the gently caress up whenever they're trying to be funny. Maybe Zer0 because he can't say more than three short lines at a time.

All I want from a hypothetical BL4 if somebody buys Gearbox and funds it is BL1's atmosphere and BL3's gunplay.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Judge Tesla posted:

People wouldn't mind Ava half as much if Maya wasn't vaporised to make way for her.

This is true. Maya deserved much better.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

All I want from a hypothetical BL4 if somebody buys Gearbox and funds it is BL1's atmosphere and BL3's gunplay.

this will never happen

but I'm impatiently waiting for another studio to do it with a new ip

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Someone's going to be killed off in BL4 as is tradition now.

My money is on "throws a dart" Brick dying.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Judge Tesla posted:

Someone's going to be killed off in BL4 as is tradition now.

My money is on "throws a dart" Brick dying.

Nah…it’ll be Amara. My main in BL1 got offed in 2 (Roland), my main in 2 got offed in 3 (Maya). So as tradition dictates my main in 3 (Amara) will die needlessly in 4.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

now that I think about it, space fallout with borderlands looting is exactly a game I want

*glances at Outriders*

guess I better be happy with whatever bl4 ends up being :eng99:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think I liked Outriders more than most, but whew, the tone did not match the gameplay. Like if you tried to make Spec Ops: The Line into a soft-MMO superpowered looter-shooter like Destiny.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 12, 2023

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I thought Outriders' campaign was fantastic, final boss difficulty aside. Didn't bother to dig into the endgame because I'd already put 60 hours in

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Finished Tiny Tina’s Wonderland yesterday. Good game for a casual Borderlands enjoyer. The main quest was not too long, the spells and dual-classing were fun, the environments were cool, all together a good time.

Did it not do well? I feel like it came and went without much publicity, and it looks the DLC was underwhelming.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
it apparently did better than gearbox were expecting, but they weren't prepared to/interested in doing more with it. though a sequel is likely at some point.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Making me want to boot up my Blight-Stabbo, so broken

Also been co-opting Bl2 with the wife again. We’re doing Maya/Axton this time. Both around 60 right now

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

ohhyeah posted:

Finished Tiny Tina’s Wonderland yesterday. Good game for a casual Borderlands enjoyer. The main quest was not too long, the spells and dual-classing were fun, the environments were cool, all together a good time.

Did it not do well? I feel like it came and went without much publicity, and it looks the DLC was underwhelming.

I picked up the complete version in the post-Xmas sale. It has some weak points during the opening act, but it hits a good stride around the Weepwild which holds through the rest of the game.

The Chaos Chamber is an excellent concept, but there are several modifiers that make either of the bosses with self-heal or invulnerability phases insurmountable. Even with those problems, it's more engaging than 3's trials and almost as enjoyable as Arms Race.

It appears that the DLC was originally supposed to contain one of the four locations that aren't visited during the main quest and their quest lines, but those got rolled into the vanilla game at some point.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
so the movie trailer just dropped and hoo boy some Choices were made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Looks bad but not nearly as bad as I expected!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
100% completely bonkers casting decisions.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Why... Cate Blanchet? Kevin Hart? Wtf.

Ryan Reynolds should be playing Handsome Jack and they just let him run away with the movie.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Less Fat Luke posted:

Looks bad but not nearly as bad as I expected!

Edit: wtf? Why does Kevin Hart keep getting work? He is awful.

Jack Black is probably the best possible known name for Claptrap, but they would have been better off just using the original Claptrap voice. We can just pray that they minimize Claptrap’s presence, like they should in the games. They won’t.

Not enough of Tiny Tina in the trailer for me to get a sense of how she turned out. I hope she’s good. Ashley Burch leaves massive shoes to fill though.

Cate Blanchett is a treasure, and it looks like she’ll do fine, but man, that’s a way bigger swing than they needed. Lilith is a fine character, but pretty bland.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 22, 2024

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

DontMockMySmock posted:

Kevin Hart being cast as Roland is the first time something about him made me laugh

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I cannot believe they got this many big name actors for this film

Like, good for everyone involved but holy poo poo, HOW

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

So they're pulling from all the Borderlands games for inspiration (which is the right choice) but they're not including Handsome Jack? I know Ryan Reynolds is pretty busy but I'm sure they could afford Glenn Howerton and it's a role he could do in his sleep.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
it looks like it's focusing on Atlas as the main antagonist corporation so maybe if they're feeling confident about this one they might be holding Jack back as a sequel hook at least

I'm definitely hoping the one executive looking guy who orders the Lances to shoot Claptrap isn't him.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Based on IMDB I think that's Edgar Ramirez as the head of Atlas. I guess it's possible he's doing a Jack-with-the-serial-numbers-filed-off thing which would be a pretty baffling decision.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i think ryan reynolds playing handsome jack would be the final step in making me genuinely hate the character

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Reminds me of Tank Girl.

And loving hell, Claptrap is Donkey from Shrek now.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Gnome de plume posted:

so the movie trailer just dropped and hoo boy some Choices were made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ

They gave Borderlands the Streetfighter treatment.

They had better not do this to Henry Cavill's 40k movie ugh

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I think you are all overlooking that Handsome Jack will 100% be a post credits reveal.

Wouldn't hate Reynolds in the role but Nate Fillion would be a slam dunk. I still would wait for it to show up on a streaming service I already have though.

Probably licencing No Rest For The Wicked will be worth a full letter grade.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I don't think the film will be very good but Randy's reactions towards negative reviews will be funnier than the film.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I don't know if "the Streetfighter treatment" means what you think it means.

If we got one Raul Julia out of this I would consider it a win.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

M_Gargantua posted:

I don't know if "the Streetfighter treatment" means what you think it means.

If we got one Raul Julia out of this I would consider it a win.

Identify a cast member from borderlands who can compare, I'll wait :rolleyes:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Jack Black.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Risky Bisquick posted:

JLC as Taniss might have it in her, but not seeing it here. This being apparently a reworking of BL1 with shifting stuff around to put Tina in seems like a massive handicap, if you're doing you may as well make Jack the villain and find someone to jam all the scenery into their mouths. Plus Roland is barely a character and is at his most interesting in the ground, Krieg isn't exactly going to have much of an arc either, unless he's Tina's dad here. Seems mad not to have Brick and Morty either, two weirdos with chemistry who exacerbate Roland trying to shepherd them into being sensible. And obviously you cast Batista as Brick.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

BizarroAzrael posted:

JLC as Taniss might have it in her, but not seeing it here. This being apparently a reworking of BL1 with shifting stuff around to put Tina in seems like a massive handicap, if you're doing you may as well make Jack the villain and find someone to jam all the scenery into their mouths. Plus Roland is barely a character and is at his most interesting in the ground, Krieg isn't exactly going to have much of an arc either, unless he's Tina's dad here. Seems mad not to have Brick and Morty either, two weirdos with chemistry who exacerbate Roland trying to shepherd them into being sensible. And obviously you cast Batista as Brick.

They have moxie krieg tannis ellie scooter and hammerlock, its a mix of 1/2

HELL YES Batista should be brick

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Gina Gershon as Moxy. gently caress, they got me.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Risky Bisquick posted:

Probably none? Thats why we're not getting the Street Fighter treatment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Krieg with no Maya is weird.