Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

The Titanic posted:

Wait what’s wrong with Zima? I used to love that junk 15 years ago. They made a comeback for a while there, too, recently.

Zima is Smirnoff's weird uncle that keeps trying to show up at high school parties.

I call it: Bootcha Where's More Sunk Cost Galaxy

Dusty Lens fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

XK posted:

Make a legal canary, Bootcha.

Legal canary, ready for service

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Titanic posted:

Wait what's wrong with Zima? I used to love that junk 15 years ago. They made a comeback for a while there, too, recently.

It's a "girly drink", and therefore

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

Still, at best, Chris sends a lawyer to represent him, and/or StreetRoller gets a settlement check. Nothing interesting is going to happen in NJ small claims court.

Supposedly you can't have a lawyer represent you in NJ small claims court, so it's Chris or a default judgment.

He could bring Ortwin as a witness though!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dusty Lens posted:

Zima is Smirnoff's weird uncle that keeps trying to show up at high school parties.

Oh god, that reminds me of the Smirnoff Ice stuff. They also had the black label. Good times.

iospace posted:

It's a "girly drink", and therefore

Therefore what? For the time it was easy to acquire along with Southern Comfort and Purple Passion. As a teenager we didn't really concern ourselves with perceived social mores when it came to booze.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dusty Lens posted:

this is a good summation

also it's like a sprite wine cooler that you have to drink 50 of to get a buzz then all that sweet stuff gives you a brutal hangover

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Mr.Tophat posted:

You're otter order

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

OBJECTION

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

HycoCam posted:

You have to wonder to who Crobbers has pitched the idea of a Star Citizen TV series. My money is on Amazon, Hulu, and Netfliz at a minimum have gotten calls from Sandi & Co pitching the idea.

Backers have asked about this before, and Chris said no way jose! Star Citizen the game is my girlfriend now, she comes first!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvXNCS4fB7Q&t=697s
Question: "Given your background as a producer in Hollywood and with the FMV's in the Wing Commander games, what do you think the potential would be for a Star Citizen TV series?"
2014 Chris: "Well, I think the universe, if we manage to do it right, will be pretty compelling, and I think at that point, it will just be about if people want to spend time in the universe." "We wouldn't really want to license it out somewhere, and we'd probably want to use a lot of our assets. So if we were gonna do it, we're not sure whether it would be all digital characters, or whether it would be actors against green screen" "So longer term, that's something we would consider, but short term, heads down just building the universe in the first place and getting the game out there."

And I hope this thread understands... Chris would not break this promise.
https://starcitizentracker.github.io/#CIG_is_100%25_focused_on_Star_Citizen_and_will_not_start_any_other_projects

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
What is Streetroller suing Chris Roberts for? Refusing to issue the refund until he filed a complaint? Or for making false and/or unfulfilled claims about the game? I'm curious what the damages and standing are in this case.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

big nipples big life posted:

this is a good summation

also it's like a sprite wine cooler that you have to drink 50 of to get a buzz then all that sweet stuff gives you a brutal hangover

Yes, the "weirdly acidic while also tooth-achingly sweet" thing was not my jam.

But I point no fingers, having been an angry teen who chased shots of blackberry schnapps with Bartles and James wine coolers in my own day.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Dark Off posted:

also they are thinking about paying employee's with shares.

This is interesting. Startups typically run an employee share scheme while a venture is still a big gamble in order to attract talent at below market rates. In all probability though is the startup will fail, leaving underpaid employees with worthless shares.

So why would CIG want to start a scheme this late in the game? A legitimate reason would be to attract executive management that would otherwise be out of their price range. The only case where this makes sense is if CIG is desperate and wants to hire a Leslie Benzies calibre producer to salvage the game and get a product into the market. This is would be bad news for dreams, and I don't see Chris ever capitulating and giving up a large amount of creative control to make this happen.

There are also less legitimate reasons that revolve around CIG being in a better position to judge the true value of the shares than the employees. That could mean the shares are going to be worthless (CIG will never be profitable), or allocated in such small amounts that it's about as good of a perk as a free meal while doing unpaid overtime (obfuscating how much they are being compensated). CIG could be running out of money and this is a last ditched way to retain staff (90 days tops). Compensation is tied to unobtainable deadlines (lol). Or the terms and conditions on the shares could be restrictive to the point where it is effectively impossible to ever vest them (bait and switch employees with a typically worse compensation package). At best this is just another unethical means to exploit your employees (which CIG and the backers seem to have few qualms about), and at worst it could be the beginning of the end. I hope for everyone's sake that they don't actually follow through on this scheme. Just pay everyone fairly and if you can't, be upfront about it.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Tortolia posted:

Supposedly you can't have a lawyer represent you in NJ small claims court, so it's Chris or a default judgment.

He could bring Ortwin as a witness though!

https://www.njlawblog.com/2013/07/articles/litigation/when-can-your-company-represent-itself-in-court-in-the-state-of-new-jersey/

quote:

Rule 1:21-1(c) prohibits, (With specific exceptions), a business entity other than a sole propriety from appearing or filing any paper “…in any action in any court of this State except through an attorney authorized to practice law in this State.” Therefore, corporations must be represented in court by counsel.

Then there are exceptions for small court claims, plus there's the complication of the consumer law breaking through the corporation to the proprietor.

Either way, I very highly doubt Chris would be required to show up himself. I'm sure a small claims court judge wouldn't default a case over someone from the other side of the country having an attorney appear on their behalf.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Tokamak posted:

This is interesting. Startups typically run an employee share scheme while a venture is still a big gamble in order to attract talent at below market rates. In all probability though is the startup will fail, leaving underpaid employees with worthless shares.

So why would CIG want to start a scheme this late in the game? A legitimate reason would be to attract executive management that would otherwise be out of their price range. The only case where this makes sense is if CIG is desperate and wants to hire a Leslie Benzies calibre producer to salvage the game and get a product into the market. This is would be bad news for dreams, and I don't see Chris ever capitulating and giving up a large amount of creative control to make this happen.

There are also less legitimate reasons that revolve around CIG being in a better position to judge the true value of the shares than the employees. That could mean the shares are going to be worthless (CIG will never be profitable), or allocated in such small amounts that it's about as good of a perk as a free meal while doing unpaid overtime (obfuscating how much they are being compensated). CIG could be running out of money and this is a last ditched way to retain staff (90 days tops). Compensation is tied to unobtainable deadlines (lol). Or the terms and conditions on the shares could be restrictive to the point where it is effectively impossible to ever vest them (bait and switch employees with a typically worse compensation package). At best this is just another unethical means to exploit your employees (which CIG and the backers seem to have few qualms about), and at worst it could be the beginning of the end. I hope for everyone's sake that they don't actually follow through on this scheme. Just pay everyone fairly and if you can't, be upfront about it.
Agreed. An employee should not consider shares or even restricted shares as an incentive unless the company's finances are revealed, and preferably public, and an independent auditor has issued an opinion on said financial figures.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

nnnotime posted:

Agreed. An employee should not consider shares or even restricted shares as an incentive unless the company's finances are revealed, and preferably public, and an independent auditor has issued an opinion on said financial figures.

Owning shares in the company you work for is great when everything is going well. When things go poorly, you lose your job and your shares are worthless.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Tokamak posted:

A legitimate reason would be to attract executive management that would otherwise be out of their price range. The only case where this makes sense is if CIG is desperate and wants to hire a Leslie Benzies calibre producer to salvage the game and get a product into the market. This is would be bad news for dreams, and I don't see Chris ever capitulating and giving up a large amount of creative control to make this happen.

You know more than I do. But I'd be shocked if the high profile revolving door at CIG hasn't poisoned that well beyond restoration. Short of Chris surrendering, in writing, his ability to bug the ever living poo poo out of whoever they brought in to do cleanup and try to salvage something from this nightmare of engineering debt while Chris plays around editing Sq42 cutscenes I have a super hard time envisioning anyone of a notable caliber voluntarily walking into CIG without the knowledge that they'll be walking out with a dufflebag full of cash.

I doubt anyone is interested in fighting Chris over what pixels should be green at this point.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I bought some Zima once, I'm still embarrassed.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I bought some jpegs once, I'm still embarrassed.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

I'd love to know the following statistics:

- How many men are newly single because their girlfriend "didn't understand" Star Citizen
- How many men are newly divorced because of same
- How many of the above dipped into savings
- How many of the above dipped into their children's college funds
- How many of the above maxed out credit cards
- How many of the above actually lost tangible assets (house, car) because of Star Citizen

As I said before, Citizens Going Their Own Way.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

I'd love to know the following statistics:

- How many men can dance when their earth is turning
- How many men can sleep when their beds are burning
- How many of the above knew the time was coming
- How many of the above paid the rent
- How many of the above paid their share
- How many of the above realized what belonged to them and what to give back

:same:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: It's fkked

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
IM NOT OWNED, IM NOT OWNED

I shout as I slowly turn into a flailing inflatabile tube man holding a sign that says "Star Marine releases in weeks not months"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
You loving goons and your fud, always claiming Chris lied!

So what if he lied to me when he said Star Marine was on the brink of release

So what if he lied to me that Star Marine was just a game mode and was cancelled

So what if he lied to be that Star Marine was back on but will absolutely hit its planned release date!

And who the gently caress cares that this online multiplayer bideogame's chat function was criticized by Chris himself 2 loving years ago and told the world he'd get right on that poo poo, only for the ui to remain the samn if not slowly become even worse over time.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"Star Citizen is my baby and I work hard to make sure it becomes the reality we are all hoping for."

*sips another maui thay drink on a beach resort on the coast of the Aegean*

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I don't care. Star citizen is perfect.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nice meltdown?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Im not owned! Im not owned!

I scream in disbelief as I shrink into a y-list actors script

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Convicted Fraudster Chris Roberts

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Slice Breaddown :smuggo:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Man, that's some insane machine gun poo poo posting action.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Chris "The reports of my debts have been greatly exaggerated" Roberts

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Will that be cash or credit, Mr Roberts?

Cash. I'm all out of credit.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

Don't forget the Catch-22 Chris put himself in. He only wants to make Squadron 42, but the Star Citizen lie is what allows him to steal the money to make it. The cessation of either project kills the other.

On some primordial level he's aware that something is wrong, but he lacks the intellectual faculties to pin it down. So we get the circus.

I'm sure there is a conjoined twins analogy in there, but I think using analogies is a probation offence, so there's not.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The fact that Chris' wardrobe is worse than the villains of Stranded in Space is loving damning.

Really paints a clear picture of his character when you look at it that way, imo

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Hav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0tMvxV-GC4

Chris Morriss is God.

Metabolically Bisturbile's are the worst.

God drat I gotta watch more brass eye

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I sincerely cannot wait for this whole thing to end so that some smart writer can auteur a biography of Chris and Sandi.

He can call it =A Song of Liar and "Wife"=

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Tokamak posted:

So why would CIG want to start a scheme this late in the game?

Pyrite handcuffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me