Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Lightning Zwei posted:

Are any of you guys active on Stocktwits? Been flipping back and forth between Stocktwits and Twitter and I really like the site.
It's hard to find the good posts from all the garbage such as any mass social networking site. However, I do follow a few people who actually put their money where their mouth is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Does anyone know why SAI got split into two different holdings (one being LDOS)? I've been looking at financial news and have yet to find anything on it..

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
Wonder if it's time to start buying some PUT options on my VTI and assorted other stock holdings.

This budget nonsense is beginning to make me nervous.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Yeah futures went plop at the open; time to buy VXX again!

Looks like the market's shrugging off another overnight drop so far.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 7, 2013

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
I've been heavily hedged with Nov puts since late August. I'm not willing to let my portfolio rely upon the tea party nutjobs to do the right thing. Happy to take the 1-2% haircut if things end up OK by November.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
drat that Tesla train! I got stopped out on a 7% trailing stop at $178.xx and now we are above that price at $186 just a few days later. Oh well, cant complain riding $61 to $178!

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013

Acquilae posted:

time to buy VXX again!

Looks like you had it right!

I made a lot of money on Friday, took profits and I'm 100% in cash now...I can't handle this political bullshit loving with my money daily. I'll jump back in when the debt ceiling poo poo is resolved, and hopefully buy some discounted shares.

Lightning Zwei fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 7, 2013

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

MrBigglesworth posted:

drat that Tesla train! I got stopped out on a 7% trailing stop at $178.xx and now we are above that price at $186 just a few days later. Oh well, cant complain riding $61 to $178!

Tesla defies reason right now. I'll happily keep selling calls on it while holding my long position from $107.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Are we whipping out our Tesla dicks, cuz I've been in since the day before the first profitable earnings.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?

Acquilae posted:

Yeah futures went plop at the open; time to buy VXX again!

Looks like the market's shrugging off another overnight drop so far.

VXX is holding up fine.

I still see more downside for the $SPY and will cover around 166.45 or when I hit my stops.

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Tesla defies reason right now. I'll happily keep selling calls on it while holding my long position from $107.

Does the market follow reason ever? :tipshat:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Sanky Panky posted:

VXX is holding up fine.
I could only watch the first 20-25min and the VXX looked like it was trending down but right now I'm most likely going to stay out/make small trades until Congress can get its poo poo together.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Call me Smaug, because aside from a few toehold equities, I'm sittin' on this pile of cash until Ted Cruz blows up the economy.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

What a beautiful close today. :frog:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sanky Panky posted:

What a beautiful close today. :frog:

I bought some VXX about midday, now I just wish I had doubled my order size.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

I bought some VXX about midday, now I just wish I had doubled my order size.
VXX was definitely a missed trade opportunity today. I was not expecting the indices to sell off that heavily at the close.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Acquilae posted:

VXX was definitely a missed trade opportunity today. I was not expecting the indices to sell off that heavily at the close.

The intraday triple top was a good sign of what was coming at close. :)

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I had a bbry strangle I sold today for 8.24% gain and I think I will eventually regret it. But I was positioned more for buyout deals falling through than succeeding and with the new interest revealed over the weekend and the gains today, I decided to get out.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Sanky Panky posted:

The intraday triple top was a good sign of what was coming at close. :)
It was definitely a textbook ascending triangle breakdown, even completing the pattern perfectly and closing at the opening price. With the uncertainty in markets and ES channeling between 1660s-80s since the shutdown I'll find another entry into VXX with how gap-happy it is(which is also a reason I cringe holding it overnight).

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Today's trading also exhibited a four tooth grumpy face:

...better watch out

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Today's trading also exhibited a four tooth grumpy face:

...better watch out

Wait, wait! It is a sad face? :(

We are doomed...

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog

Sanky Panky posted:

Wait, wait! It is a sad face? :(

We are doomed...
And here Buffett said TA is bs because if you turn the charts upside down they say the same thing

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

nebby posted:

And here Buffett said TA is bs because if you turn the charts upside down they say the same thing

Doesn't tasty trade have a feature that turns your charts upside down?

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Covered part of $SPY short at 166.50 first target met. :)

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Jeez markets turning into a waterfall today.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
I hope a lot of congressmen own stock. Maybe losing money hand over fist will motivate them to do their jobs.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

scavok posted:

I hope a lot of congressmen own stock. Maybe losing money hand over fist will motivate them to do their jobs.

Rich people only get richer after a serious economic hardship, as they still have the capital to buy when the market is near the bottom and ride it back up.

The congresspeople will be fine, it's the normal people who are going to eat it, just like the housing collapse.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
edit: dp

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

Kal Torak posted:

How can people be so stupid with their money? Looks like "investors" mistook TWTRQ as a way to buy into TWTR.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/04/investing/twitter-tweet-shares/index.html

I shorted this at $0.06 in my simulator but then they changed their symbol and investopedia hasn't converted my shares :cry:

Lightning Zwei
Aug 7, 2013

Inverse Icarus posted:

Rich people only get richer after a serious economic hardship, as they still have the capital to buy when the market is near the bottom and ride it back up.

If this poo poo goes down substantially I'll be waiting on the side lines with a smile on my face and a hundred racks ready to dump on the bottom.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Closed out the bull spreads on my iron condors on NDX and RUT yesterday morning, because I had finally become fully convinced of the insanity of this congress.

My feeling today: "Ducked that bullet. :stare:"

Everything else I'm holding long term for dividend yield or to cover calls, though I'm planning to exit TSLA if it falls under 160.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
My Tea Party insurance goes ITM at SPY 165. :munch:

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014
Stocks you're going to buy if we hit another recession:

BF.B without a doubt.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

I've been obsessing over VIX this week but looking at the VIX chart it's historically fallen fast after runs to 20+ so my highest probability trade for this week would be a short on VXX/UVXY as they're about to hit resistance trendlines. It could be a case for a small but unsustainable rally/bounce up until Congress passes a bill to prevent the debt ceiling. If that bounce occurs, I will be shorting it since after today with NASDAQ finally dropping with the DOW and S&P 500 and taking the bubblicious momentum stocks with it, it's telling me that the baton is about to be passed to the bears and a sub-1600 S&P by November would be an early Christmas.

e: shorted a small position in VXX @ 17.22. Adding more if it can stay/trends under 17 for the day.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 9, 2013

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Decided to adopt a Talebian approach to current events; if the US defaults then I expect a downgrade in the Federal government's credit rating and an unpredictably bad time for financial institutions. Hence:

LONG PUT BAC NOV 13 12
LONG PUT C NOV 13 36
LONG PUT COF NOV 13 55
LONG PUT WFC NOV 13 32

I think there's still decent odds that as the debt limit is reached we'll see those who hold congressmens' purse strings crack the whip, and decent odds that they'll obey, so these strikes are based entirely on opportunistic pricing rather than any sort of analysis.

And TSLA's dancing under 170 :munch:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

1) Why the hell didn't I buy SPY puts when the government shut down last Tuesday?

2) Why don't I buy the puts first thing tomorrow morning until the debt ceiling situation is resolved?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

1) Why the hell didn't I buy SPY puts when the government shut down last Tuesday?

2) Why don't I buy the puts first thing tomorrow morning until the debt ceiling situation is resolved?

2) As soon as you do, they will resolve it and SPY will be up 1.25%.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I think you missed the bus man...sorry to tell you that.

You can try but do not go too heavy on it.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
The same reason everyone didn't outright buy puts in SPY?

This could have easily went the other way and you would have just been gambling on the outcome.

Also, didn't the market go up like 1%+ the first day of the shutdown. Balls of steel to hold those puts through that...

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
I bought puts on Sept 20. They're up 150% at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

The same reason everyone didn't outright buy puts in SPY?

This could have easily went the other way and you would have just been gambling on the outcome.

Also, didn't the market go up like 1%+ the first day of the shutdown. Balls of steel to hold those puts through that...
I haven't been following the action in Congress much in recent days, but last Monday-Wednesday, it's pretty much all I did, and based on the rhetoric I saw, I said, "Zero chance this gets resolved before the debt ceiling."

If only I had the conviction of my lunch conversations. :negative: