Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I need a Linux/UNIX expert to help me with a backup script problem in CM10.1. I have set up a script to backup/restore one file and remove a whole bunch of system apps I neither need nor want. The file I'm trying to preserve is /sys/module/bcmdhd/parameters/wifi_pm (no extension). I made the script as directed and the removing works great but the backup/restore doesn't happen. I think (and I could be wrong) that the problem is with the permissions level of the file I'm trying to restore which is 311. The reason I think this is the problem is that when I try to manually edit the file in the ESv3 beta it fails to save it and when I try it in the ES it saves fine. The ESv3 beta doesn't have a way to alter permissions so it would seem to me that there's where the problem lies.

Does anyone know if the script could be made to change the permissions on the file before attempting to restore it (if that's indeed the case)? For reference the backup script is here and you put it into /system/addon.d to make it work when you flash a nightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LastInLine posted:

The file I'm trying to preserve is /sys/module/bcmdhd/parameters/wifi_pm (no extension).
That's not really a file, but an exported kernel module parameter. The issue is that it's "content" (parameter value) is ephemeral anyways and will reset on reboot.

I'm guessing you really want a script that pokes that value on every boot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That's not really a file, but an exported kernel module parameter. The issue is that it's "content" (parameter value) is ephemeral anyways and will reset on reboot.

I'm guessing you really want a script that pokes that value on every boot.
:aaa: Holy poo poo, it does reset on boot, I guess it's time to reinstall the high performance wifi widget. I appreciate the explanation, thanks.

KeviNguyen
Aug 9, 2007
obligatory Asian

Tunga posted:

I flashed Franco kernel to my N7 and wow, what a lovely outcome. Mobile signal is dead, completely. Not just data, the whole signal. And all games are jittery lagfests. It's pretty weird because on my N4 his kernel is way better than stock. Qh well, back to the factory image.

Edit: Even Awful and G+ display horrible lag and glitchy touch control. What a clusterfuck. Reminds me of the days of trying to find a decent HTC Desire kernel.

Franco's kernels aren't good for gaming from what I've read.

Quick question: Does anyone know what exactly a tool chain is? and what Linaro is? Like when roms/kernels advertise linaro. Does it actually mean anything or is it one of those buzzwords people throw around.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

KeviNguyen posted:

Franco's kernels aren't good for gaming from what I've read.

Quick question: Does anyone know what exactly a tool chain is? and what Linaro is? Like when roms/kernels advertise linaro. Does it actually mean anything or is it one of those buzzwords people throw around.
A tool chain is what's used to build software. Compilers, linkers, etc. Linaro is an engineering group funded by large firms (Sony, IBM, TI, others) that focuses on increasing performance for open source software on ARM. By improving the way GCC compiles software for ARM chips, they can optimize software. Presumably you'll get stuff to run faster by compiling it with Linaro-made GCC tool chain rather than the stock GNU GCC tool chain. (Linaro does other things as well, such as kernel optimizations, etc)

The Wikipedia link will enlighten you further: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linaro

vvvvvv Someone else will have to answer that. I don't know.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 12, 2013

KeviNguyen
Aug 9, 2007
obligatory Asian
So theoretically things that are compiled using the linaro tool chain should be faster, but is it something noticeable in real world usage?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

KeviNguyen posted:

So theoretically things that are compiled using the linaro tool chain should be faster, but is it something noticeable in real world usage?
The toolchains normally used to compile Android are shipped as part of AOSP. These days it's a combination of GCC 4.6 (?) and Clang+LLVM. I don't really know the breakdown of which things are compiled with GCC, and which with Clang, don't really care frankly.

The Linaro folks would probably convince you it's faster. My opinion is that, if it was really worth it, then AOSP would've included them by now.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Anyone have a quick link on how to return a Evo3d to stock? I've had a lot of problems with it lately, but half the links I hit seem ridiculous or outdated so I haven't gone through with any of them.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
In other Evo 3D questions, I'm running CM10 on mine, with great success until I woke up this morning to "Storage Space Running Out." Seems off considering I've got 230MB in apps and app data on a 1.1GB partition, and it was claiming I only had 23MB free. Clearing about 150MB of data and cache moved that all the way to 33MB free. Then my system froze, I restarted, and it's showing 28. Wtc. Any ideas/what can I do?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CM10.1 users, in particular those of you running it on the Galaxy Nexus: Has anyone been having a process called com.google.Gapps e: com.google.process.gapps FC occasionally? I've been seeing this rarely but consistently since I came to the ROM and that's with a fresh wipe. The fact that it's called Gapps (with the capital letter if I'm remembering correctly) makes me wonder what it could be.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 13, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Check if Download Manager has been disabled under Settings -> Apps.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Check if Download Manager has been disabled under Settings -> Apps.
It appears to be just fine. It's there, running, and has cache and app data.

One other thing I just discovered: Going to Settings > Developer Options > Launch Tools, clicking Google Login Service causes Dev Tools to FC. Same thing with Sync Tester.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 13, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Did you definitely flash the correct GApps package? Or did you restore data for anything Google/system related?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Did you definitely flash the correct GApps package? Or did you restore data for anything Google/system related?
I went back to Goo and verified that I have the right package and the MD5 matches. I don't believe I restored any Google or system app data, I'm pretty sure I just did my games' app data. The closest thing to system data that I restored was my SMS and call log.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Nur_Neerg posted:

In other Evo 3D questions, I'm running CM10 on mine, with great success until I woke up this morning to "Storage Space Running Out." Seems off considering I've got 230MB in apps and app data on a 1.1GB partition, and it was claiming I only had 23MB free. Clearing about 150MB of data and cache moved that all the way to 33MB free. Then my system froze, I restarted, and it's showing 28. Wtc. Any ideas/what can I do?

Apparently with a lot of CM10-based roms out there, wimax logs don't get cleared for some reason resulting in it slowly eating all of your space.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Anyone have a quick link on how to return a Evo3d to stock? I've had a lot of problems with it lately, but half the links I hit seem ridiculous or outdated so I haven't gone through with any of them.

Use an RUU

http://shipped-roms.com/index.php?category=android&model=Shooter

To use an RUU via HBOOT, grab the ZIP version of 2.17 or if you want to take the slightly easier route and do it from a Windows PC, grab the EXE version. RUU's will give the phone a complete reimage to factory state.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ProjektorBoy posted:

Use an RUU

http://shipped-roms.com/index.php?category=android&model=Shooter

To use an RUU via HBOOT, grab the ZIP version of 2.17 or if you want to take the slightly easier route and do it from a Windows PC, grab the EXE version. RUU's will give the phone a complete reimage to factory state.

Just grab the top one? I don't know how to differentiate them all.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Just grab the top one? I don't know how to differentiate them all.

They're labeled with the version numbers. Highest = newest so 2.17.651.5 is the one you should get.

Here's the link to the EXE version. It should contain a step-by-step guide to walk you through reflashing the phone.

http://shipped-roms.com/download.ph...3304_signed.exe

However, since you've probably unlocked your bootloader, you'll have to connect it to a PC with fastboot and then perform 'fastoot oem lock' on it so it'll take the RUU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I rewiped everything (including formatting /system and /data, which I didn't do before) and put on the latest nightly of CM10.1 plus GApps and got the same problem: crashes of com.google.process.gapps and Settings > Developer Options > Launch Tools > Google Login Service and Sync Tester both cause Settings to FC.

Can anyone with a Maguro running CM10.1 verify that those two options in Launch Tools cause a FC? That's a package unique to the Maguro.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Verizon GNEX checking in, I haven't looked at this thread in months, since I did a CM10 nightly upgrade in the end of October. It was super stable so I was hesitant to mess with it but got bored and went with a recent nightly and put on 10.1. Lots of nice new features, new GApps especially. Runs decently smooth and stable so far. I'm running Francokernel, any other recommendations on the kernel? I could only install the last nightly from the Franco app, not a stable version-- I don't know which one runs the best for it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ProjektorBoy posted:

They're labeled with the version numbers. Highest = newest so 2.17.651.5 is the one you should get.

Here's the link to the EXE version. It should contain a step-by-step guide to walk you through reflashing the phone.

http://shipped-roms.com/download.ph...3304_signed.exe

However, since you've probably unlocked your bootloader, you'll have to connect it to a PC with fastboot and then perform 'fastoot oem lock' on it so it'll take the RUU

Ah, that's the problem I must've been running into. Thanks, I'll work on this more tonight.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

LastInLine posted:

I rewiped everything (including formatting /system and /data, which I didn't do before) and put on the latest nightly of CM10.1 plus GApps and got the same problem: crashes of com.google.process.gapps and Settings > Developer Options > Launch Tools > Google Login Service and Sync Tester both cause Settings to FC.

Can anyone with a Maguro running CM10.1 verify that those two options in Launch Tools cause a FC? That's a package unique to the Maguro.

Both the Launch tools cause a FC for me. Maguro running nightly 20130109, gapps-jb-20121212.
However, I do not have any issue with com.google.process.gapps.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Because some apps that write to internal storage use "/sdcard", others use "/mnt/sdcard", others yet may use "/storage/sdcard0", and Android has to maintain all of them for backwards compatibility.

Thanks for this post!

I will leave it alone, however will continue being a little bit annoyed about the mess apps make when creating directories willy nilly. I wish there would be one place for app related data and things looked nice and organised in a file manager.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

Both the Launch tools cause a FC for me. Maguro running nightly 20130109, gapps-jb-20121212.
However, I do not have any issue with com.google.process.gapps.
Thanks, although that does leave me in a pickle. Everywhere I look it says that gapps FCing is due to having the wrong GApps but I'm positive I have the correct ones.

I'm going to keep working on it but thanks for letting me know that those not working aren't an indicator I did something wrong.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

FlyingCheese posted:

Apparently with a lot of CM10-based roms out there, wimax logs don't get cleared for some reason resulting in it slowly eating all of your space.

Well that makes complete sense. Thanks. Now I just have to figure out why I'm not longer receiving texts to my handset =P

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
FWIW gapps 20121212 is pretty broken. Some of the apks are build wrong as anything in the "res/raw/" directory needs to be stored uncompress so they can be mmap'd straight from the apk. An example is QuickSearchBox.apk, which, if you try to use "Voice Search" will crash on you since it can't open "res/raw/open.wav". Voice Dialer is also hosed, although I'm not certain if it's the same reason.

That said, the problems go away if you download Play Store updates for any of the broken apks, since the Store versions will be used instead. Which is why folks haven't necessarily noticed the issues except on fresh installs.

Not sure if it's related to Maguro problems, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

FWIW gapps 20121212 is pretty broken. Some of the apks are build wrong as anything in the "res/raw/" directory needs to be stored uncompress so they can be mmap'd straight from the apk.
Is there a fix for this, or a way to get the proper versions? I'm planning to try CM this weekend but I'm not going to bother if this poo poo is broken.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

FWIW gapps 20121212 is pretty broken. Some of the apks are build wrong as anything in the "res/raw/" directory needs to be stored uncompress so they can be mmap'd straight from the apk. An example is QuickSearchBox.apk, which, if you try to use "Voice Search" will crash on you since it can't open "res/raw/open.wav". Voice Dialer is also hosed, although I'm not certain if it's the same reason.

That said, the problems go away if you download Play Store updates for any of the broken apks, since the Store versions will be used instead. Which is why folks haven't necessarily noticed the issues except on fresh installs.

QuickSearchBox works fine for me but Voice Dialer is definitely broken.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Tunga posted:

Is there a fix for this, or a way to get the proper versions? I'm planning to try CM this weekend but I'm not going to bother if this poo poo is broken.

Yeah, just update those apps in the market right after install. It's fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

Yeah, just update those apps in the market right after install. It's fine.
Some of the apps aren't in the Play Store in order to update or are already at their latest version.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

LastInLine posted:

QuickSearchBox works fine for me but Voice Dialer is definitely broken.

I never actually use voice actions often, but trying to load up Voice Dialer it just says starting up..., and yea. What is voice search? Is that part of the google now voice search? That works if so.

I do have all the market updates for what its worth.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I just got a repaired Nexus 4 back from LG. The model number says "Full JellyBean on Mako." The Build Number is "full_mako-userdebug 4.2 LGEP19 eng.seungju24.choi.20121114.105751 test-keys"

Obviously they screwed up and didn't flash the phone back to stock before shipping it back to me. It generally works but it's slow, glitchy, and isn't what I bought from Google.

I have never rooted a phone before and went with the Nexus 4 in hopes that I wouldn't have to learn what XDA makes out to be a tough process. They say it's super easy for Nexus owners, but then link to different programs and drivers and reference command line prompts and I would prefer not to bumble around for 2 hours. Would any of you kind folks be able to relay some simple, "idiot's guide" instructions on exactly what I'm supposed to be doing?

KeviNguyen
Aug 9, 2007
obligatory Asian

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I just got a repaired Nexus 4 back from LG. The model number says "Full JellyBean on Mako." The Build Number is "full_mako-userdebug 4.2 LGEP19 eng.seungju24.choi.20121114.105751 test-keys"

Obviously they screwed up and didn't flash the phone back to stock before shipping it back to me. It generally works but it's slow, glitchy, and isn't what I bought from Google.

I have never rooted a phone before and went with the Nexus 4 in hopes that I wouldn't have to learn what XDA makes out to be a tough process. They say it's super easy for Nexus owners, but then link to different programs and drivers and reference command line prompts and I would prefer not to bumble around for 2 hours. Would any of you kind folks be able to relay some simple, "idiot's guide" instructions on exactly what I'm supposed to be doing?

This toolkit is pretty straight forward: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1995688

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

The issue is that it is trying to grab the stock android ROM from google, but google has taken it down. I can't flash stock using this program.

Is there an older version I can flash that will allow Google to push the 4.2 update to the phone?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I remember a custom recovery had an option to mount storage to USB while in recovery a while ago; I don't think it's possible with CWM Touch recovery, but is it possible with TWRP?

This is very useful for when I remember to add one more thing to flash only after doing a full wipe.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The issue is that it is trying to grab the stock android ROM from google, but google has taken it down. I can't flash stock using this program.

Is there an older version I can flash that will allow Google to push the 4.2 update to the phone?

Here is 4.2
Here is 4.2.1

Download either, extract all the files from either zip into a folder. Configure adb if you haven't already, otherwise execute the flash-all.bat in either folder.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SeaborneClink posted:

Here is 4.2
Here is 4.2.1

Download either, extract all the files from either zip into a folder. Configure adb if you haven't already, otherwise execute the flash-all.bat in either folder.

In case you need more instructions than this, and want to learn something in the process...

So the good news is that you have a Nexus device, which means it is super easy to flash a ROM to it (and also to root and other stuff but you don't care about that right now). The steps required are:

1) Unlock the bootloader
2) Flash the stock ROM
3) Relock the bootloader (optional).

There are two main ways to achieve these steps. The first is to use one of several "one-click" tools, such as the one linked above. Those work okay, mostly, and obfuscate the details from you. When they work they are nice and save you having to know what you are doing. When they fail they are frustrating because you have no idea why they aren't working.

The second option is the manual method. This really isn't as scary as some places make it sound and it also gives you a better understanding of what you are doing and what else is possible. I keep meaning to get around to writing a really good guide to this, with screenshots, because it comes up a lot and I'm yet to find any guide that gets it across in a clear and simple way. I'm not joking when I say that the most difficult part is getting the right USB driver to install. Going to copy this part from a previous post:

Tunga posted:

Install the Android-SDK from here. You'll end up with a Window asking which components to install, you'll need Platform Tools and the Google USB Driver (under Extras), ignore everything else.

Now here is the hardest part: getting your phone to install under the correct USB driver. Reboot it to bootloader (power off, then hold power and volume down until you get to a black screen with a big green Start arrow). If you're lucky, your PC will install the right driver. If not, you'll have to mess around with it a bit, try deleting the device and point it at the Google driver manually. Post for more help if you get stuck with this.

To test, open a Command Prompt (or Powershell or whatever) and navigate to the platform-tools directory. Run "fastboot devices" and see if anything is listed. If you get nothing, go and mess around with the driver some more. If you get a weird alphanumeric string and it says "1 device" or similar (I forget the exact wording) then you're good.

Grab that factory image that someone linked, in that zip there should be a .img file with JOP40D in the name. It'll be biggish too. That's the ROM that you need in the second step below so put it somewhere with an easy path (or throw it directly into platform-tools folder).

Now unlock:
code:
fastboot oem unlock
Confirm the factory reset promopt that appears (on the N4) and wait for it it finish.

Now flash:
code:
fastboot update <path-to-ROM>.img
And if you wish, relock:
code:
fastboot oem lock
Note that this means if you ever want to unlock again (e.g. if you want root) you'll have to factory reset again. You might want to consider just leaving it unlocked but it's up to you.

Ask if you get stuck with anything. Like I said, the toolkits work too but I'm on a mission to educate people about how easy this stuff is. If you use a Linux box you don't even need to set the driver up and it's genuinely like a two minute job.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Just follow Tunga's advice, the hardest part is getting the right driver into Windows (and on OSX or Linux that's not even an issue). You'll be back to perfect in less than five minutes.

--------------

I think I figured out my CM10.1 gapps problem. It was because I restored bookmarks in the stock browser with Titanium. I cleared cache and data in the browser and all seems well after a day of heavy use.

Now if only CM10.1 would start filling in the features.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On a related note, have Google ever said why the N4 factory image disappeared? I remember someone (Matias?) making some cryptic comment about it but it's all a bit ridiculous really. They had better post 4.2.2 when it hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

On a related note, have Google ever said why the N4 factory image disappeared? I remember someone (Matias?) making some cryptic comment about it but it's all a bit ridiculous really. They had better post 4.2.2 when it hits.
It's almost certainly the fact that it can join LTE networks where it's not licensed to do so.

Bear in mind that T-Mobile's LTE network is launching in a few months on the same band.