Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angstronaut
Apr 26, 2005

is there no shame?
Thanks guys. No, I didn't mean rooster, just a large chicken/hen. I guess I'll spatchcock the drat thing and cook it at 400F until it gets to ~155F because 165F is not ideal. 140F is loving scary but it's hard to argue with Heston Blumenthal. Bringing it to room temperature before roasting.

Thanks for the videos, I am watching them all. I don't really have the time/patience today to brine and for some reason spatchcocking seems better than trussing such a large bird. I don't want the outer bits to get too dry while the inner bits aren't up to temp. This is just my theory but it could be totally wrongheaded. I guess I'll start checking it after an hour and a half or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Angstronaut posted:

Thanks guys. No, I didn't mean rooster, just a large chicken/hen. I guess I'll spatchcock the drat thing and cook it at 400F until it gets to ~155F because 165F is not ideal. 140F is loving scary but it's hard to argue with Heston Blumenthal. Bringing it to room temperature before roasting.
The 165 F USDA number takes into account two factors---that's the temperature at which salmonella is killed instantly (well, the standard is actually a 6.5log10 reduction, but that counts as killing all of them unless you're talking about a petri dish full of 'em or something), and it allows for some variation in the accuracy of your thermometer, placement of the probe, and so on. The actual lab numbers give instantaneous 6.5log10 lethality at 158 F/70 C.

Blumenthal's method is safe if you hold at 140 F/60 C for at least 12 minutes [edit---see my edit below]. This is dead simple in a puddle machine, but I'd worry about trying to do it in a conventional air oven. As a practical matter cooking for myself I'd just pull the bird from the oven when it hit 140 +/- my estimate of carryover, then wrap it in heavy duty aluminium foil and then put it in an empty ice chest to rest. I wouldn't want to sign off on that for commercially prepared food without a shitload of instrumentation around the process, but as a matter of personal comfort level I'd lay money the bird could be held at the pasteurisation temperature more than long enough that way.

Edit: The USDA actually has data for how long you need to hold at for different fat content in chicken and turkey. The 12 minute number I give is substantially lower than the numbers the USDA gives here (PDF on usda.gov).

SubG fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 25, 2013

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Urgent question: is it possible to caramelize dark brown sugar?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ron Don Volante posted:

Urgent question: is it possible to caramelize dark brown sugar?

Yes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
By the way, I don't like the Blumenthal roast chicken. I always do it the Keller way.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Eeyo posted:

Anybody have advice about cleaning a silpat mat? I've just been using sponges, but it still looks like it has cookie imprints and feels slightly greasy. Should I just not care? Also I'm paranoid my roommates will think it's a chopping mat and go to town on it.

My former girlfriend did that to my silpat :(

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Angstronaut posted:

140F does work but make sure it's really good quality meat and it matters the length of time it's held at that temp. You don't just bang it up to 140F take it out and call it done which is why he cooks it long and low to ensure it's safe.

I've done chicken to 140F Sous-vide style and it works well, so I imagine it would work well for a roast.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 26, 2013

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
I'm baking some pies this weekend that call for a 1/4 cup of quick-cooking tapioca to thicken, but could only find tapioca flour at the store. Do I need to adjust the volume at all for the substitution, or is it 1:1?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So I put some meat in a slow cooker last night to do its thing. I was dumb and forgot to remove it before leaving for work today. By my estimates it's been in complete Off mode (Warm turns to Off after 4 hours) for about 4 hours.

If I eat this will I die? Interesting part about that: it hasn't been exposed to much ambient air after being above the safe range for 8 hours. Would bacteria really find its way there so quickly?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've cooked a stew on the stove and left it in the pan overnight and reheated it and never had any problems. I think I might have even reheated it twice. Its maybe not safe though?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Scott Bakula posted:

I've cooked a stew on the stove and left it in the pan overnight and reheated it and never had any problems. I think I might have even reheated it twice. Its maybe not safe though?

The top was on all day so that kind of makes me think it should be ok if it's really heated up well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If you die its not my fault though

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Saint Darwin posted:

So I put some meat in a slow cooker last night to do its thing. I was dumb and forgot to remove it before leaving for work today. By my estimates it's been in complete Off mode (Warm turns to Off after 4 hours) for about 4 hours.

If I eat this will I die? Interesting part about that: it hasn't been exposed to much ambient air after being above the safe range for 8 hours. Would bacteria really find its way there so quickly?

It's fine. Stop worrying.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Don't worry, be happy.

If the container remained sealed it's kinda like you canned it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
This might be a dumb question, but I've been trying to cook with fresh jalapenos for a few days now, except after I cook them they don't really seem to be *snappy* hot any more.

I've sauteed/slow cooked them with some ghee, I've baked them atop potatoes, but nothing seems to make them retain their heat as they are fresh. When I chop them up a fresh bit makes me tear the gently caress up and wish for death, so I know the pepper itself is pretty hot.

Am I over-cooking them or something? Too hot, too steamy?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Saint Darwin posted:

You'll be fine.

Fake-edit: I am a microbiologist.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

What's a good way to cook a can of black beans? All I really have to work with is tomato juice, onions, and all the most commonly-used spices.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ron Don Volante posted:

What's a good way to cook a can of black beans? All I really have to work with is tomato juice, onions, and all the most commonly-used spices.

It's already cooked, so you can just eat it if you want to be a dirtbag.

What do you feel like eating? You could make and fry patties, make a (weirdly coloured) curry, make something mexicanish to put into a tortilla...

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It's already cooked, so you can just eat it if you want to be a dirtbag.

What do you feel like eating? You could make and fry patties, make a (weirdly coloured) curry, make something mexicanish to put into a tortilla...

I'd be down for some sort of vaguely Indian dish. I've got ground/whole cumin and coriander, turmeric, curry powder, and a couple other Indian-ish spices.

Could I just saute an onion, add the beans, add the tomato juice and spices and boil it for a little bit?

Ron Don Volante fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 27, 2013

Vixenella
Mar 24, 2009
So I want to make biscuits and I have the recipe for Cheddar Bay biscuits but I only have skim milk will this work?

2 ½ cups Bisquick baking mix

¾ cup cold whole milk

4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick)

¼ teaspoon garlic powder

1 heaping cup grated cheddar cheese

Bush on Top:

2 tablespoons butter, melted

¼ teaspoon dried parsley flakes

½ teaspoon garlic powder

pinch salt

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Ron Don Volante posted:

I'd be down for some sort of vaguely Indian dish. I've got ground/whole cumin and coriander, turmeric, curry powder, and a couple other Indian-ish spices.

Could I just saute an onion, add the beans, add the tomato juice and spices and boil it for a little bit?

Does anyone else think I sound like a broken record yet?

Ron. Make Daal.

http://goonswithspoons.com/Daal_Tarka

Here is the recipe. Skip whatever spices you don't have. Make the freaking daal now. Make the basic version (sans mustard seeds if you lack them), and sautee the onions. Then, add the tomato juice, the (drained) beans, and let it come to the boil. You'll be ace.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Thanks! That turned out great. What's the deal with calcium chloride?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vixenella posted:

So I want to make biscuits and I have the recipe for Cheddar Bay biscuits but I only have skim milk will this work?

2 ½ cups Bisquick baking mix

¾ cup cold whole milk

4 tablespoons cold butter (1/2 stick)

¼ teaspoon garlic powder

1 heaping cup grated cheddar cheese

Bush on Top:

2 tablespoons butter, melted

¼ teaspoon dried parsley flakes

½ teaspoon garlic powder

pinch salt

Yeah it oughta work fine.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Vixenella posted:

You can, but the crumb won't be as moist and full. That recipe already looks a little dense to me---there's substantially less butter in there than I'd figure on. But I don't cook with Bisquick so I don't really know how the texture naturally compares to a more traditional approach.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Ron Don Volante posted:

Thanks! That turned out great. What's the deal with calcium chloride?

They're meant to make diced tomatoes keep their perfect shape. Unfortunately, the bloody thing means that the tomatoes never cook down in a daal, which you /want/ to have happen. Mind you, there are perfectly lovely daals made with those calcium chloride tomatoes. They're just not quite like what I'm used to, if that makes sense? Just wanted to heads-up folk in case they're using the stuff, not to expect it to be like grandma's daal.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

SubG posted:

You can, but the crumb won't be as moist and full. That recipe already looks a little dense to me---there's substantially less butter in there than I'd figure on. But I don't cook with Bisquick so I don't really know how the texture naturally compares to a more traditional approach.

Bisquick has shortening already built in, so you need to cut the butter/shortening/lard if you use it instead of flour.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Oh lawdy. Just picked up some pork belly and a smallish lamb shoulder from the farmer's market. I know of the Gordon Ramsay recipes for each, but does anyone else have suggestions for either?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Oh lawdy. Just picked up some pork belly and a smallish lamb shoulder from the farmer's market. I know of the Gordon Ramsay recipes for each, but does anyone else have suggestions for either?

http://www.eatitatlanta.com/2009/10/29/ad-hoc-at-home-pork-belly-confit/

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
I just bought a whole rabbit at the local butcher shop on a whim. What's the most foolproof way to prepare it for someone who's never cooked rabbit before?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Big Centipede posted:

I just bought a whole rabbit at the local butcher shop on a whim. What's the most foolproof way to prepare it for someone who's never cooked rabbit before?

Some manner of stew, I'd wager. The Meat Rabbit thread has a tonne of great recipes.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

There was no pork cheek available when I went to the supermarket so I went for pork ribs instead because they're stupidly cheap too. I'm preparing them the same but if I cooked them until the bones fell out would the meat just fall apart in the stew or is it fine for me to cook for a few hours and pull out all the bones

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ron Don Volante posted:

That would be great. Also sriracha is wonderful with black beans.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Yap, doing that. Thanks.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Dino suggestion is great, of course, but if I had to cook a can of black beans, I'd do it vaguely Mexicanish. Toast some fresh cumin seeds in some butter, add minced garlic and onions. Once the onions are more or less cooked, add the can of beans, and then hit it with some powdered cumin, chipotle (minced adobo or powder), chili powder, and some oregano. Simmer for a few minutes to combine the flavors, turn off the heat and stir in the juice of 1-2 limes. Sprinkle fresh chopped cilantro on top and eat.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.

Doh004 posted:

our farmers market had lamb shoulders too and I did a braise, served it with yogurt and mint sauce, reduced the jus, and served that with herbed roasted potatoes to dip in. It was not bad.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm looking for a good borscht recipe. I like the really deep blood red kind, not the lighter ones, but I don't know what regional variation I'm looking at. The best I've ever had was at a Kazakh restaurant, I don't know if it's a distinct style or not. Only restriction is no beef stock, I can't afford to make that.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
Can anyone tell me where I could find a source for beef jerky in increments larger than a pound? As in a single quantity of beef jerky, not a box of 12 8 ounce bags or something like that. I imagine this would probably be something coming from online, but I'm in Houston if anyone knows of something local.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Empty Pockets posted:

Can anyone tell me where I could find a source for beef jerky in increments larger than a pound? As in a single quantity of beef jerky, not a box of 12 8 ounce bags or something like that. I imagine this would probably be something coming from online, but I'm in Houston if anyone knows of something local.

SAMart has two different threads for beef jerky in which they sell it by the pound, but it would be in one pound bag increments. I don't imagine most places offer too much more than that in bulk.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I don't know if this is helpful but honestly, beef jerky is very expensive for what you get and especially if you're looking for large quantities, it would be much more economical to make your own.

Here's Alton Brown's jerky recipe that requires no more exotic equipment than a box fan and a couple bungee cords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Midniter posted:

I don't know if this is helpful but honestly, beef jerky is very expensive for what you get and especially if you're looking for large quantities, it would be much more economical to make your own.

Here's Alton Brown's jerky recipe that requires no more exotic equipment than a box fan and a couple bungee cords.

And here's a dude who's done that twice now, with delicious results. The trick is to stick your beef in the freezer for about two hours and then slice it reaaally thin.