Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Push El Burrito posted:

You know what a good movie is to catch without any knowledge going in? Ginger Snaps

I did this sometime in my early 20s, I don't even remember how I came across it blind but it was, at the time, an unwise decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

My favorite twist was when this thread started out as a "subtle movie moment thread" and turned into an "argue about twists" thread.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

F4rt5 posted:

s.

I remember the comic also had a scene that was missing until the director's cut and wondered why it was not in the movie (I think it was the Thorazine scene or where the T-1000 stabs the cop s l o w l y in the eye)

The point is, everybody knew beforehand.

Did this happen in a deleted scene?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If it was the scene with that twin guy, nope. Saw that in the theater.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Slimy Hog posted:

My favorite twist was when this thread started out as a "subtle movie moment thread" and turned into an "argue about twists" thread.

It happened very subtly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The real twists were the subtle moments we found along the way.

Or Steven Seagal dying in the first half of Executive Decision.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Push El Burrito posted:

You know what a good movie is to catch without any knowledge going in? Ginger Snaps

nah man, everyone knows about that twist, the director even knew it was gonna be in the promotional materials. not a twist imo!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The biggest twist I can remember is a huge line of people wanting to see Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and demanding refunds when they found out it wasn’t in english

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Executive Decision killing off Seagal halfway thru was a surprise to me but I was young & didn't catch that his billing in the movie poster denoted he wasn't going to have as big a role as Kurt Russell or Halle Berry.

I guess the death of Marion Crane in Psycho was one hell of a twist for people seeing it for the first time back in 1960.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Million Dollar Baby still had the ultimate twist in my eyes. It wasn't in the marketing, the audience didn't see it coming, it wasn't just tacked on to the end, and it completely changed the tone and genre of the film when it happened.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

I guess the death of Marion Crane in Psycho was one hell of a twist for people seeing it for the first time back in 1960.

That one is even better if you've seen a lot of Hitchcock films. Because the first third of Psycho is such a standard Hitchcock thriller set-up. It's a woman on-the-run story. She's stumbled into this decision to steal the money from her boss, and maybe she's regretting it but it's too late now, and a nosy cop is on her trail....

So it's not a movie where audiences weren't sure where it was going before the twist. They thought they knew. Everything indicated that it was going down the familiar Hitchcock path, so the twist hit that much harder. The impact is somewhat lost today because a lot of people see Psycho without being familiar with what the "prototype" of a Hitchcock film would normally look like.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

The real twists were the subtle moments we found along the way.

Or Steven Seagal dying in the first half of Executive Decision.

I remember some standup comedian who worked on this movie to punch up the script or something. He was talkinga bout how Seagal wanted to change the script so that he held these two planes together just by himself, and they had to explain to him "no, that's stupid".

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

IUG posted:

I remember some standup comedian who worked on this movie to punch up the script or something. He was talkinga bout how Seagal wanted to change the script so that he held these two planes together just by himself, and they had to explain to him "no, that's stupid".

The Rock doing basically this was easily the most hilarious part of Hobbes and Shaw

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Slimy Hog posted:

It was subtle when I dropped it days ago wasn't it?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

oldpainless posted:

The biggest twist I can remember is a huge line of people wanting to see Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and demanding refunds when they found out it wasn’t in english

Working at Blockbuster during this time, all the VHS copies had the (SUBTITLED) at the end of the title and still people returned it asking for a refund. Though I guess if you weren't going to spend 3 seconds reading the package, there's no way in hell you're going to spend 90 minutes reading a movie.

Along those same lines, man did people get mad over Widescreen ratio movies. "What's with those lovely black bars on this movie? None of my other movies do that. I want my money back."

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Executive Decision killing off Seagal halfway thru was a surprise to me but I was young & didn't catch that his billing in the movie poster denoted he wasn't going to have as big a role as Kurt Russell or Halle Berry.

Basically these are why Drew Barrymore was cast in Scream. No one thought they'd kill the biggest name in the movie (between her or Courtney Cox) in the first five minutes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

jojoinnit posted:

I remember watching the Digimon movie as a kid and it had this amazing twist where the hero was losing to the bad guy in the final fight but then managed to turn things around and gain the upper hand! I did not see that coming!

I know you're just being a dumbass but that's specifically not a twist because those types of movies spend almost the entire runtime beating the viewer over the head with messages like "If you stay true to yourself you can beat almost any odds!!" so the audience absolutely expects that to happen.

If the hero was losing to the bad guy in the final fight and almost managed to turn it around but still lost anyway (like the original loser ending to the Dodgeball movie before they changed it to a stereotypical "underdogs beat overwhelming odds" feelgood ending) then that would be a twist because it defied the genre conventions and the audience expectations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A good twist is one you can see coming if you're paying attention and recontextualises the whole story in retrospect.

The last one I can think of is of all things River City Girls.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I know you're just being a dumbass but that's specifically not a twist because those types of movies spend almost the entire runtime beating the viewer over the head with messages like "If you stay true to yourself you can beat almost any odds!!" so the audience absolutely expects that to happen.

If the hero was losing to the bad guy in the final fight and almost managed to turn it around but still lost anyway (like the original loser ending to the Dodgeball movie before they changed it to a stereotypical "underdogs beat overwhelming odds" feelgood ending) then that would be a twist because it defied the genre conventions and the audience expectations.

On a similar note, an anime that broke a convention in an interesting way was Shaman King. It spends most of it's time with everyone's spirits getting bigger and bigger so you expect things to get ridiculous for the final showdown, but the final stage in the evolution of the character's powers is learning to focus all of their energy into a single point, resulting in a powerful but small weapon. So rather than an earth shattering explosive fueled fight, the final fight between Yoh and Hao is just a swordfight. No bells and whistles, just two swordsmen duelling to the death. I liked how understated it was.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Ah yes, the anime swordfight. Truly unexpected.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

When Rocky came out, was the “underdog sports movie where the hero beats overwhelming odds” thing standard? I’ve always appreciated it for being a sports movie where the hero loses at the end, but that’s from the context of decades of sports movies that have come out since.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When Rocky came out, was the “underdog sports movie where the hero beats overwhelming odds” thing standard? I’ve always appreciated it for being a sports movie where the hero loses at the end, but that’s from the context of decades of sports movies that have come out since.

Yeah there's been "sports underdog beats the odds" movies since at least the 1910s and 1920s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_films

Edit: Charlie Chaplin made several silent films where he was a hopelessly outclassed boxer put up against a champion boxer. He lost in City Lights but he won in The Champion (with a little help from his bulldog)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e33GYfF45Nc

Edit 2: if you count the fable of The Tortoise And The Hare as a proto-sports-underdog story then they've been around for thousands of years

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 13:08 on Mar 10, 2020

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I’ve always appreciated it for being a sports movie where the hero loses at the end...

He should have won that decision. :argh: The bell comes in way too quick in that last round and saves Apollo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bad News Bears was another one where the underdog heroes lost.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The 70's were the decade of the antihero. A lot of protagonists lost.

Then came the 80's where we solved everything with guns.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

(like the original loser ending to the Dodgeball movie before they changed it to a stereotypical "underdogs beat overwhelming odds" feelgood ending)

I don't believe that was a serious alternate ending. I think that was just them having fun with the editing, just like that grimdark Toy Story 3 ending that fades to credits as they're about to go into the garbage furnace.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay I went back and watched From Dusk Till Dawn and there's some subtle clues that poo poo's gonna turn weird when they get to Mexico. The Gecko brothers' big plan is to cross the border, meet up with their contact Carlos and follow him to El Rey where they'll be safe which is a super obscure reference to a 1958 heist novel called The Getaway where two bank robbers are trying to cross the border into Mexico to get to the criminal sanctuary run by El Rey which turns out to be a dangerous hellhole full of paranoid doublecrossers where they're in constant danger of being murdered by cannibals.

The second subtle clue is that the ZZ Top song She's Just Killing Me is playing when they get to the Titty Twister bar and the lyrics actually say "She's just killing me/Suck my blood" as they walk in the door but this is immediately after Cheech Marin's infamous "Pussy pussy pussy!" speech so there's a lot going on in that scene and no one's really paying that much attention to the soundtrack at that point. :v:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Len posted:

I dunno man, I let it drop after a mod posted but y'all keep bring it back up.

I don't know if either of the PYF mods actually did this (it is possible I am sleep-modding, I have been doing so much back-end admin work I have dreamed about it the last couple nights) but Len has a point. :) I think everyone's said their piece about plot twists, FDTD and T2, so while continuing to observe their subtle moments is fine there's little need to keep arguing in circles over them.

Relatedly, however, I re-watched The Guest (2014) last night (which I love), and when the title card came up my friend laughingly went "that was an extremely horror movie title screen." Having seen the movie before I realized that was, in fact, the very first indication that this film was not going to go where one might predict it to go. :lol:

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

I wasn't around at the time but my impression is that Rocky's loss wasn't a twist in the "holy cow I did not see that coming" sense (mostly because the movie itself is never seems as concerned with winning/losing as other sports movies tend to be) but the ending was refreshing enough that for many folks it was the moment the movie went from "hey this is really good" to "give this thing Oscars".

Funny enough, Rocky is still one of the quintessential "underdog sports movie(s) where the hero beats overwhelming odds" regardless, it just doesn't have outright victory as the primary goal.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, Rocky wasn't just fighting to win, he was fighting to prove that he could stand up to the champion despite just being some local schmuck from the fourth largest city that worked in a meat-packing plant. He didn't kill god, but he got up there and spat in his face.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Among with most of the other Mars-related movies of the last few years.

Does seem like a case where design-by-committee ends up with a title that has absolutely no appeal, though. Though every indication seems to be that executives literally don't understand why people do or don't like movies at all.

One of the best kung fu movies of all time was retitled "Wheels on Meals" because the studio had two movies that started with the letter M flop and they decided it was cursed

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, Rocky wasn't just fighting to win, he was fighting to prove that he could stand up to the champion despite just being some local schmuck from the fourth largest city that worked in a meat-packing plant. He didn't kill god, but he got up there and spat in his face.

Rocky Balboa, native Houstonian.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's funny how quickly Stallone loses the thread for both Rocky and Rambo to turn them into cash grabs instead of movies that try to say something. I'm almost curious what he'd do with a demolition man sequel now.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Scaramouche posted:

It's funny how quickly Stallone loses the thread for both Rocky and Rambo to turn them into cash grabs instead of movies that try to say something. I'm almost curious what he'd do with a demolition man sequel now.

See, I think this is unfair.

He actually is trying to say something with every Rambo (except the last one I guess, I haven't seen that one yet). Rambo 4 is about Burma, and was made to be more ultraviolent to get the point of how terrible it is across. 3 literally ends with a text screen with what it was about. 2 is all about the POWS who were left behind, and moreso about the USA being terrible about it just as much.

He definitely likes money, he will go for a cash grab sure, but he actually does think he's an artist, and I'd argue that makes him one.

Truthfully, I'd argue that just First Blood earns him a lot of credit, that is a sad story and he really gives his all in it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Okay I went back and watched From Dusk Till Dawn and there's some subtle clues that poo poo's gonna turn weird when they get to Mexico. The Gecko brothers' big plan is to cross the border, meet up with their contact Carlos and follow him to El Rey where they'll be safe which is a super obscure reference to a 1958 heist novel called The Getaway where two bank robbers are trying to cross the border into Mexico to get to the criminal sanctuary run by El Rey which turns out to be a dangerous hellhole full of paranoid doublecrossers where they're in constant danger of being murdered by cannibals.

The second subtle clue is that the ZZ Top song She's Just Killing Me is playing when they get to the Titty Twister bar and the lyrics actually say "She's just killing me/Suck my blood" as they walk in the door but this is immediately after Cheech Marin's infamous "Pussy pussy pussy!" speech so there's a lot going on in that scene and no one's really paying that much attention to the soundtrack at that point. :v:

You're never going to be able to analyze or parse the movie in a way that will allow people posting in this thread to recognize the difference between a planned plot twist and "I was surprised by the events that took place"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Krankenstyle posted:

Kingdom of Heaven

im gonna use the actors names cause otherwise: newly anointed knight orlando bloom arrives in jerusalem and meets the local king edwad norton. they talk about god and jerusalem and justice and the king impresses on the knight that he (the king) is a leper and he shouldnt touch him. so when the knight bloom leaves, he steps on a toy, and he picks it up and he fixes the spear on the toy.

the spear penetrated his foot, and his foot had leprosy in it from the leper king. he killed the prince of jerusalem before he even met him.

I'm sorry, I'm dense but I have no clue what this means. Who is the prince of jerusalem

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You're never going to be able to analyze or parse the movie in a way that will allow people posting in this thread to recognize the difference between a planned plot twist and "I was surprised by the events that took place"

No more sniping about this please. :)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I don't know if either of the PYF mods actually did this (it is possible I am sleep-modding, I have been doing so much back-end admin work I have dreamed about it the last couple nights) but Len has a point. :) I think everyone's said their piece about plot twists, FDTD and T2, so while continuing to observe their subtle moments is fine there's little need to keep arguing in circles over them.

Honestly not sure, one of my probes was from someone without a star and came after your warning to let a topic drop so I didnt want to risk it. As it turns out I spend a decent amount of time poo poo posting at work and those sixers really drag out the work day

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Spider-verse has a fun layered injoke in the post credits scene where (mostly unrelated to the rest of the movie) Spidey 2099 time travels to the old Spider-Man cartoon, and specifically into the infamous meme with two Spideys pointing at each other. And they then get into a pointless circular argument about pointing.

Of course, if you actually know the context for the episode, you know it's about a criminal pretending to be Spider-Man to ruin his reputation. And in the pointing scene, the imposter is the one on the right- the one 2099 Spidey is talking to. He's likely starting the argument to change the subject and prevent his cover getting blown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Spider-verse has a fun layered injoke in the post credits scene where (mostly unrelated to the rest of the movie) Spidey 2099 time travels to the old Spider-Man cartoon, and specifically into the infamous meme with two Spideys pointing at each other. And they then get into a pointless circular argument about pointing.

Of course, if you actually know the context for the episode, you know it's about a criminal pretending to be Spider-Man to ruin his reputation. And in the pointing scene, the imposter is the one on the right- the one 2099 Spidey is talking to. He's likely starting the argument to change the subject and prevent his cover getting blown.

JESUS