Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does slinky dog have fat propel problems like avatar did?

Asking for a friend not me :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
It's nothing like Avatar. It's more like a SDMT but with more room. Maybe twice as much seat space.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
HS is gonna be hosed next holiday season if this was how TSL opening went.

I’m still curious how the international gateway is going to handle the influx of people at fireworks time with everyone trying to dump out to the skyliner + boardwalk resorts. Disney might be wrecked next year.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Anya posted:

HS is gonna be hosed next holiday season if this was how TSL opening went.

I’m still curious how the international gateway is going to handle the influx of people at fireworks time with everyone trying to dump out to the skyliner + boardwalk resorts. Disney might be wrecked next year.

Disney is gonna be wrecked until a full year or so after its 50th anniversary.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's gonna stay wrecked until the next global financial crash. That's the only thing that can stop the crowds now.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
For those of you who’ve been going there for years, what were the crowds like in the early 2000s before the economy poo poo itself? Were they still bad over new things? Did New Fantasyland have capacity issues like this?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

Does slinky dog have fat propel problems like avatar did?

Asking for a friend not me :qq:

“Fat propel” makes it sound like you’re asking if a train with too many fat people can’t launch.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bottom Liner posted:

It's gonna stay wrecked until the next global financial crash. That's the only thing that can stop the crowds now.

Truth. With the new attractions, high demand, strong economy, WDW is going to stay very busy all the time. A weakening of the economy though, that will put a damper on things. Not even their significant price increases lately have seem to made much of a difference.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Walking down Sunset Blvd to queue up, a CM greeting everyone goes “Welcome! Good morning! Be sure to check out Toy Story Land!”

:lol:

Edit: we got to HS gate a little after 6. They kept us at the main turnstiles till about 6:15. There were about 250 people when we were let into the park to queue up in front of Starbucks. They let us go to the land around 6:45. We had ridden slinky by 7:20. Slinky is better than we expected. On par with 7DMT.

Dren fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jul 2, 2018

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey so if anyone can help me I. Getting one of those new Brer Rabbit plushies and send it to me I would forever be in your debt anyone???

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Re: Disney crowded
Honestly, when has it been slow in the past 5-6 years? Ever since the economy started rebounding, the place has been packed. There really isn't a proper slow period anymore except maybe late summer and January.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah I doubt anything but a global economic crash will do anything about crowds. The price increases haven’t done much damage from what I can tell.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

couldcareless posted:

Re: Disney crowded
Honestly, when has it been slow in the past 5-6 years? Ever since the economy started rebounding, the place has been packed. There really isn't a proper slow period anymore except maybe late summer and January.

Early December 2012 was the last trip we took that had a nice easy crowd level. We did a table service meal each day and took our time and still did everything at every park with maybe a 20-30 minute wait max. A year later it was pretty busy around the same time and since moving here it’s seemingly on a non-stop rise.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Barring us spiraling into oblivion, would a 5th park really decrease the crowd levels to a more manageable amount, or would Universal creating that 4th park start finally cutting into everything so the crowds are more dispersed? Or should we just hope dear leader's tariff war actually creates a manageable Disney vacay.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

It starting to feel that theme parks,like roads, when you build one more people just end up using it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anya posted:

Barring us spiraling into oblivion, would a 5th park really decrease the crowd levels to a more manageable amount, or would Universal creating that 4th park start finally cutting into everything so the crowds are more dispersed? Or should we just hope dear leader's tariff war actually creates a manageable Disney vacay.

Universal still only pulls 12% of the crowds that WDW does annually post HP worlds, so them building more parks wouldn't help at all. A 5th park at Disney would help a little, but would be a 5-6 year construction minimum I bet, and that'd only happen after EPCOT.

I think Disney is more interested in continuing to grow the Asia market than pushing WDW even more, especially with the growing global economic anxiety threatening international tourism to the US.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anya
Nov 3, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Universal still only pulls 12% of the crowds that WDW does annually post HP worlds, so them building more parks wouldn't help at all. A 5th park at Disney would help a little, but would be a 5-6 year construction minimum I bet, and that'd only happen after EPCOT.

I think Disney is more interested in continuing to grow the Asia market than pushing WDW even more, especially with the growing global economic anxiety threatening international tourism to the US.

Do you think they’d throw another park in Asia or just expand?
And true, the parks here need to expand more. Especially when you have a park that has so many dead zones in one section, like Epcot. Future World needs so much help. It almost makes me wonder what would happen if they hadn’t let Epcot and HS stagnate for so long.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
If crowds at WDW are any indication put a park in Brazil

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Anya posted:

Do you think they’d throw another park in Asia or just expand?
And true, the parks here need to expand more. Especially when you have a park that has so many dead zones in one section, like Epcot. Future World needs so much help. It almost makes me wonder what would happen if they hadn’t let Epcot and HS stagnate for so long.

If Epcot gets the love it deserves and we're in say, late 2020, we will probably have 2 hour waits at gran fiesta tour at this point.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Epcot has plenty of great rides and with the guardians coaster and Remy ride, the pool is going to get even more crowded.
I am split on the idea of a 5th park. It will change the entire dynamic of visiting, the average stay will get longer, and logistics would become more of a pain in the rear end (more busses, yay...). I'm also not convinced it will balance out crowds elsewhere, and rather just fill up all the parks.
Honestly, probably the best route is cracking down on non WDW resorts again, strip away some benefits. I know this is kinda lovely and spiteful, but it then allows Disney to regulate their attendance based on who is staying on grounds, which affords them some amount of control over heads in parks. They seem to be building new resorts nearly as fast as new attractions as well. Add another value resort somewhere aside from the Allstars (let's be honest, pop is moving into cheap moderate at this point) to appease the masses and see where that goes.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There already is a fifth Park it’s called Disney springs

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
I agree on a new value resort - Pop and AOA are pretty pricey for being considered value.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Epcot has plenty of great rides and with the guardians coaster and Remy ride, the pool is going to get even more crowded.
I am split on the idea of a 5th park. It will change the entire dynamic of visiting, the average stay will get longer, and logistics would become more of a pain in the rear end (more busses, yay...). I'm also not convinced it will balance out crowds elsewhere, and rather just fill up all the parks.
Honestly, probably the best route is cracking down on non WDW resorts again, strip away some benefits. I know this is kinda lovely and spiteful, but it then allows Disney to regulate their attendance based on who is staying on grounds, which affords them some amount of control over heads in parks. They seem to be building new resorts nearly as fast as new attractions as well. Add another value resort somewhere aside from the Allstars (let's be honest, pop is moving into cheap moderate at this point) to appease the masses and see where that goes.

100% honest, the cabins at ft wilderness shouldn't cost what they do and would be a really cool value area.

If not that, a value off western way towards 429 would be a very nice spot, relative to the other resorts in terms of travel time, and all that. I'm not sure if there's anything out that way already, like you know, support stuff that would make it impossible.

Disney's pretty sure that if they just keep adding Deluxe hotels that people will (?) but yeah. No. We need a few more moderates and at least a value or two. The Riviera should be a moderate, not a deluxe. I get why it's a deluxe, but if you're going to do long-term planning... yeah. you need more sensible priced places than we currently have.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

There already is a fifth Park it’s called Disney springs

I can't argue with this assessment. Just nickname it "Food Kingdom" and I'm on board.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

100% honest, the cabins at ft wilderness shouldn't cost what they do and would be a really cool value area.

You do have to take into account economy of space, though. All of the other hotels just have huge lots surrounding the buildings and shove rooms into massive buildings, so you've got a lot of people that can be put in that space. The cabins only have room for one or two vehicles each (so good luck if you have visitors) and are individually house-sized structures so you can only fit a small number in there. Higher prices balance the cost of fewer people in a larger individual space.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

couldcareless posted:

The biggest problem with Epcot (other than the lack of a clear vision, but lots of ink has been spilt on that topic) is that the giant buildings you see almost immediately are terminally unexciting. Maybe I’m wrong about this, but I think Future World is going to feel a bit busted as long as the Communicore/Innoventions buildings are their current iterations of empty/used as a character meet. It’s basically the worst of the park being put right on the front line, and it’s a bad look. At least Town Square Theater has some theming, something that isn’t particularly possible in Future World.

Of course, that one bit of concept art from last year indicated they were thinking of just knocking them down entirely. We’ll see what comes of that, but a giant garden between the two halves of Future World would probably be better than what’s there now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't think they'll ever build a 5th gate. The amount of money it would cost would be enormous. They can't even fix the monorail up, and Shanghai Disney was what? Over 5 Billion? Google says Animal Kingdom was about a Billion to build and took almost 8 years.

I could see a 3rd gate in Anaheim before another gate in Florida.

Anya posted:

I agree on a new value resort - Pop and AOA are pretty pricey for being considered value.

Isn't the rumor they'll move into lower end moderate status once the Skyliner opens up?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As long as they dont get rid of figment.

Also if anyone wants to help me get that beer rabbit plush at splash email me at tomisthebest at gmail plzzz

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Never say never but a 5th park is unlikely is the near or medium term. Animal Kingdom was built during the rapid "Disney Decade" expansion phase when everyone thought more parks=more visitors. It turned out that AK just cannibalized visitors from other parks and was a half day visit at best. 20 years later AK is finally a full day park that can stand on its own. Meanwhile the other parks have suffered from a lack of new attractions. Disney doesn't want to go down that road again anytime soon.

I think a 5th gate will depend on Universal's 3rd. If they manage to launch it as a success instead of just stealing attendance from the other two (which also happened to them when IOA opened a year after AK) then Disney may start making plans.

Second gates in Hong Kong and Shanghai are probably next for Disney. Maybe a third for Tokyo but that is up to OLC, not Disney.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

You do have to take into account economy of space, though. All of the other hotels just have huge lots surrounding the buildings and shove rooms into massive buildings, so you've got a lot of people that can be put in that space. The cabins only have room for one or two vehicles each (so good luck if you have visitors) and are individually house-sized structures so you can only fit a small number in there. Higher prices balance the cost of fewer people in a larger individual space.

I get that, but at the same time there's worth to work in there, too. There's a reason that they're a lot more easily available than say, CBR when it's not undergoing some sort of dystopia nightmare construction.

Boxman posted:

The biggest problem with Epcot (other than the lack of a clear vision, but lots of ink has been spilt on that topic) is that the giant buildings you see almost immediately are terminally unexciting. Maybe I’m wrong about this, but I think Future World is going to feel a bit busted as long as the Communicore/Innoventions buildings are their current iterations of empty/used as a character meet. It’s basically the worst of the park being put right on the front line, and it’s a bad look. At least Town Square Theater has some theming, something that isn’t particularly possible in Future World.

Of course, that one bit of concept art from last year indicated they were thinking of just knocking them down entirely. We’ll see what comes of that, but a giant garden between the two halves of Future World would probably be better than what’s there now.

Use it as an expansion of Living with the Land, update the ride for even more cool new plant tech and funnel people into it. And for the love of god update the videos.

It'd also tie in really beautifully with F&G and F&W.

Imagination pavilion should be given a huge rework with stuff that lets kids and adults really use their imagination instead of the bullshit color this Figment thing that I poked around on at McDonalds (with different characters) in 1992. And of course Figment should still be there, but he should be a little less annoying.

I dunno, I could go on for miles about what I think they could do with Epcot. There's so, so much potential and it's just been ignored. I think Guardians is stupid, I think Remy is brilliant, and Gran Fiesta Tour should be Coco by the end of the year so v0v

Also if anyone wants to help me get that beer rabbit plush at splash email me at tomisthebest at gmail plzzz

is it really not on the shop parks app? If you don't have it by october, poke me.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Disney still fights the AK half day and Epcot is a boring educational park stereotypes lol. Part of our training was canned rebuttals to when people said those things.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They stopped selling shop Disney parks stuff a year ago except for some very limited items. It blows.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, a lot of products are in store only for the shop app. It can be useful from time to time, especially for limited edition magic bands, but I find that more often than not a lot of products are in store only. You might have better luck checking eBay or something to see if someone is reselling at non crazy prices.

I like the idea of knocking down the innoventions buildings and just putting up some really cool gardens and shady sitting areas. Big empty boring buildings doesn't fit with the theme or epcot at all. Use it to showcase some more eco friendly stuff like rain gardens.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm going the first week of Sept, if you don't have it by then. You could also hit up a Disney personal shopper if you're really desperate.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Boxman posted:

The biggest problem with Epcot (other than the lack of a clear vision, but lots of ink has been spilt on that topic) is that the giant buildings you see almost immediately are terminally unexciting.

This is my big problem. On my first visit as a kid in 4th grade (in 1994ish) EPCOT was my favorite park by far. I remember seeing all the cool stuff in Innoventions and spending a few hours playing with all the interactive science exhibits and stuff. Now EPCOT is a place for good food and drinks and two good rides. The future world and educational aspect is almost completely removed.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Braksgirl posted:

I'm going the first week of Sept, if you don't have it by then. You could also hit up a Disney personal shopper if you're really desperate.

❤️❤️

Also I know I say this a lot but expect a email from me soon for Legit this time !!!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

This is my big problem. On my first visit as a kid in 4th grade (in 1994ish) EPCOT was my favorite park by far. I remember seeing all the cool stuff in Innoventions and spending a few hours playing with all the interactive science exhibits and stuff. Now EPCOT is a place for good food and drinks and two good rides. The future world and educational aspect is almost completely removed.

And it's in a sad state.

They can definitely do edutainment better than just about anybody else on the planet, but they have to fuckin do it instead of letting things like Innoventions just rot. I realize there's a lot of upkeep to stuff like Innoventions, but c'mon.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

No doubt Future World needs the most work, but is there anything else to the rumors about World Showcase? There’s that empty pavilion next to Germany I heard they might turn into Pacific Islands/Moana, and the “sorta Africa” area next to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I’ll probably be going to Hollywood studios this weekend. I’ll email you later this weekend