Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
mind hunt all day every day with arco, bro

Woops, you got feebleminded? Let me heal that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

How do you forget to list Arco's healers as a strength? One of only four nations who can recruit them!
Because I'm trying to sum up what a Dominions nation is good and bad at, plus give some pretender design hints in like 10-15 pretty unambiguous lines and may sometimes miss stuff out accidentally or on purpose as a result?

They get mentioned in the video, to be fair.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Are you using a script? You seem a bit mumbly quiet and the videos go on for a long time. Doesn't have to be like line for line word for word but plan out what you're going to go over and have a list of points or w/e you're going to go through, it helps a lot. Pretend it's like giving a presentation.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

GenericOverusedName posted:

Are you using a script? You seem a bit mumbly quiet and the videos go on for a long time. Doesn't have to be like line for line word for word but plan out what you're going to go over and have a list of points or w/e you're going to go through, it helps a lot. Pretend it's like giving a presentation.

Just lol if you do any preparation and don't just ramble like a retard.

Fill all dead air with UMMMM and/or screaming children imo.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Fill all dead air with screaming children imo.

we already have the irc if you need screaming children

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Just lol if you do any preparation and don't just ramble like a retard.

Fill all dead air with UMMMM and/or screaming children imo.
This guy knows the score.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dubstep that only ducks to "less than deafening" when you're talking.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Is there another thread for starting games? I think I'm ready to pop my multiplayer cherry

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Finnish Flasher posted:

Is there another thread for starting games? I think I'm ready to pop my multiplayer cherry

the pgs thread is linked in the OP

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
good christ how do i play Yomi i have all these units and they all seem to be trash

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

good christ how do i play Yomi i have all these units and they all seem to be trash

You make Aka-Oni for exactly as long as it takes you to finish expanding and preferably get Enchantment 5, then you transition to One Million Skeletons. It doesn't take that many Aka-Oni (like 12-15 for most, 20 can handle all but he worst) to wipe indies so long as Order isn't leaking into the province.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

fool_of_sound posted:

You make Aka-Oni for exactly as long as it takes you to finish expanding and preferably get Enchantment 5, then you transition to One Million Skeletons. It doesn't take that many Aka-Oni (like 12-15 for most, 20 can handle all but he worst) to wipe indies so long as Order isn't leaking into the province.

Not Ao-Oni? The Cold attack seems better than the throw flames (?), and otherwise they're exactly the same except 5g cheaper.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Speleothing posted:

Not Ao-Oni? The Cold attack seems better than the throw flames (?), and otherwise they're exactly the same except 5g cheaper.

The thrown flames are ranged, which is what make them better. Ao-Oni are good at killing enemy gods though.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Woah I did not realize how much better Aka were than Ao, no wonder I was getting rolled all the time. Are the higher end Oni even worth it or is it the Aka show all day?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

Woah I did not realize how much better Aka were than Ao, no wonder I was getting rolled all the time. Are the higher end Oni even worth it or is it the Aka show all day?

I only ever bother with Aka, but maybe you can do interesting things with them??

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
The high end oni are twice as costly, but not even close to twice as good. Maybe if they were sacred it would be worth it, but even then you are probably still better taking an expander. Just eat up all the provinces, build a bunch of castles and bum rush out enough research to hide behind 1 Million Skeletons + relief and rigor mortis.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

don't forget oni have 2 forms, so you're geting more bang for your buck.

expander + expansion oni armies will net you a lot of provinces as long as you didn't get ufcked in start position

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Larger oni are mainly not worth it. They have high strength but low prec so their javelins aren't that good, and the poison attack on the black ones whose name I forget (Kuro-Oni?) is pretty mediocre.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I meant as far as the ice/fire dudes for expanding, other poo poo can go to hell.

Dai Oni rule though, they are fukcing awesome mages

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Oh right, yeah. Aka Oni and a demon general, easy first turn recruitment every time.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Dai Oni are loving ridiculously good mages and if you can mass them and give them a little bit of kit they are just about unstoppable. One of my new favorite units in the game.

e: Unrelated: I don't know who is in charge of syncing the game listings on brainwrinkle to the actual servers, but brainwrinkle is still looking at Monkee's old server for the game Mo Money Mo Problems and it needs to be looking at the new server, projectptah.com 50011.

How are u fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 13, 2016

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I find it weird that Yomi's description talks about its mages having low research, which is very misleading if you don't actually check it out.

Like they have pretty cheap 11rp mages and even 15rp non str mages, plus access to every necessary path and sufficient strength for all the research boosters other than Blood, and Dwarven Hammers to knock them out for cheap.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jBrereton posted:

I find it weird that Yomi's description talks about its mages having low research, which is very misleading if you don't actually check it out.

Like they have pretty cheap 11rp mages and even 15rp non str mages, plus access to every necessary path and sufficient strength for all the research boosters other than Blood, and Dwarven Hammers to knock them out for cheap.

Yeah, during my last game as Yomi I had a research at 7 by turn 13 (and 26 provinces). It was pretty ridiculous and I probably would have won that game had I not been burning out during it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, during my last game as Yomi I had a research at 7 by turn 13 (and 26 provinces). It was pretty ridiculous and I probably would have won that game had I not been burning out during it.

Burn out, the hidden killer of Dominions.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

fool_of_sound posted:

research at 7 by turn 13

:psyduck:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I had Gift of Health up by turn 16 or 17. I helped that I had seriously good event luck that game. I had all my heroes, two free forts, and at least 4k free gold in that first year.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah I had Gift of Health up by turn 16 or 17. I helped that I had seriously good event luck that game. I had all my heroes, two free forts, and at least 4k free gold in that first year.

that's test game levels of bullshit

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

that's test game levels of bullshit

Yeah, Decrepus got a bit worked up over it as I told him.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, Decrepus got a bit worked up over it as I told him.

I have taken Luck 3 in every game I ever played after that one. Lol

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I had pretty ridiculous luck in my yomi game. t3/l3 rocks. If I wasn't so bad still I'd probably have won that game or madea better run in the end game.

Notable luck things:

Literally thousands of gold every few turns without fail
Gems out the rear end, I seriously had 300+ of every gem from luck events during that game
2 forts from luck, maybe more (I think these were luck events anyway...)
the B2 hero around turns 20-30 ( I think)
Ring of Sorcery on turn 8ish

God only knows what the gently caress else I got, it was pretty insane and has changed my outlook on the luck thing, I'm probably never taking misfortune again except for some sort of dub/tribless gimmick

*edit*

Decrepus posted:

I have taken Luck 3 in every game I ever played after that one. Lol
Turmoil 3 REALLY makes a difference here, especially since you can take T3/S3, meaning you can get G3L3M3 and get all the REALLY good events.

I'm sure I'll never have as good of luck as I did in the yomi game and have likely thrown out my 1 chance to win a dom game.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
The larger oni are decent if its late game and you just gold a bunch of gold from random events and you have alot of army buffs researched. Fog Warriors + army of lead + mass regeneration and then they are good.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

Turmoil 3 REALLY makes a difference here, especially since you can take T3/S3, meaning you can get G3L3M3 and get all the REALLY good events.
O3L3 is very rewarding, and order and death has some really good events with luck, including one where some dying prince turns up to your land and gives you 1500 gold and some items. Your nobles also die all the time and hand over like 700ish gold. It's good (if you think you can manage under Death, which is something I usually don't run at all).

Potential bad things include people casting baleful star and laughing as your D3Mis3 dominion causes horrible event after horrible event to happen until all your pop and commanders die and you get infinity billion unrest.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 13, 2016

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Trash scales for life.

Both Diabl0 and I are rolling with event spawned wraith lords due to death3luck3

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Trash scales for life.

Both Diabl0 and I are rolling with event spawned wraith lords due to death3luck3
I mean when BoT has been up since turn 14 and you're years into a game I guess it does make sense.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
why are Dom4 and drinking a match made in heaven/hell? nothing quite like the feeling of opening a game and trying to decipher what the gently caress your plan was

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Million Ghosts posted:

nothing quite like the feeling of opening a game and trying to decipher what the gently caress your plan was

You don't need to drink to achieve this feeling.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Gabriel Pope posted:

You don't need to drink to achieve this feeling.

i don't need to drink to do a lot of things but that's never stopped me before.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Million Ghosts posted:

why are Dom4 and drinking a match made in heaven/hell? nothing quite like the feeling of opening a game and trying to decipher what the gently caress your plan was
S'great, isn't it?

"Time to arrange my gems in the best way possible" *slaps the entire treasury's fire gems onto a single Augur* "well that's him set for the next year or so"

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is the actual formula for calling your pretender back from being killed, known? Like, I get there's a random factor, but do we have some clue as to how many turns worth of priest level is needed?

I'm uh, I'm... asking for a friend. I definitely did not get my "immortal" pretender killed by an AI army in enemy dominion due to sucking up a blood vengeance retaliation while casting offensive spells and only having 3 hit points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's 50 priest-turns, +/- DRN. So 5 h2s call faster than 9 h1s.

• Locked thread