Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

Oh, wait. I didn't fix anything, my computer still doesn't boot on the first try. Hahaha :bang:

Well, at least I was happy for a couple of hours. Time to wait for Skylake and a new motherboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

An email that I didn't send posted:

Dear fuckhead,

Yes, we can help you set up with a webcam/microphone for someone to join a meeting via Skype. You've told us it's only a couple of people and half a dozen physically present. As you have never set up a Skype group video thing before, we'll even pop along to get you started, one to do the actual setup and one to provide a bit of training ("Click the video call icon. The one I'm pointing at. No, don't close the window, click the icon. The icon. The one I told you to click the first bloody time you dribbling incompetent." -- why I don't give training).

No, we don't sort out conference telephone calls. That's a different team.

No, we don't have a twenty-metre telephone extension cable, because we do not deal with loving telephones.

No, we don't move tables between rooms. We're sysadmins, not trolleys.

No, you can't have twenty-five people remoting in to your session via Skype. You told us it was two people.

No, you can't get all forty people in the room into shot on this one webcam. You told us it was going to be half a dozen. We can't help you at this scale.

No, we are not looking forward to the next meeting that's going to be "even more popular" with "so many more people interested in coming". You should call Conferences & Events. Oh, they wanted to charge you money? No poo poo, Sherlock! That's what big events like that cost. You've wasted half a day's time of two senior computing officers setting this bullshit up because you lied to us about the scope and the size and you only gave us full details when we were on our way over to set up so we showed up woefully unprepared. If you come to us again we will also bill for your time. Which, given that you can't get through a single sentence without pausing for thought, um-ing and ah-ing, and repeating yourself at random, is going to be what bankers and economists technically call a fuckload of money.

No love,

Me.

One of these days, I'll bring a rocket launcher in to work and just lay waste like it's fuckin' GTA or some poo poo. Everyone in my team will either give me an alibi or explain how it's justifiable homicide, depending if I'm covered in blood when the polis show up.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 3, 2015

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

psydude posted:

After this software engineering class, I have an appreciation for how annoying it is for devs to validate user input. That being said, it's still your loving job that you're being paid $120,000 a year to do and it's more annoying for me to create signatures and rules to validate your lovely application's input, so loving do it anyway you assholes.

Try
doing a thing with input
Catch
poop out the input into log file
End Try

Send idiot's input to business user who want to know why the job went down. Problems often solve themselves after that!

For real though, I worked on a process a few years ago that created ACH bank files that we shipped off to do some kind of awful predatory credit thing. The system was big business and we had a major rehaul of the web interface and did a bunch of work contracting for them. My part was the actual grabbing of data, putting it into the database the right way, and then pulling the relevant parts that got plopped into ACH format. We had a huge showstopping bug 2 weeks out from deployment where files were just not being accepted and nobody could figure it out until I finally just looked for unusual symbols in the file (big enough that I needed to be using regex).

Turns out somehow in our parent company's system there is a payment database that had an edge case that caused it to feed us negative payments. I never though to look for that in a stored procedure since, yknow, you can constrain database fields to be non-negative which seems like the very first thing you'd do for a dollar amount that by design is not supposed to be negative (we used a payment type field for debits).

Few weeks (yay robust testing environments/protocols) and a few million dollars of lost business later I put in a fix to look for those and just not use them because we're definitely the only system that will be negatively affected by that right :downs:

tl;dr gently caress user input

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eldercain posted:

Try
doing a thing with input
Catch
End Try

Now you just opened yourself up to a log file injection exploit.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

To: Email group containing half the company
CC: Helpdesk, me, CTO

IS X RUNNING SLOW FOR ANYONE ELSE?

<queue 40 responses of people going "fine here!!">

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

baquerd posted:

Now you just opened yourself up to a log file injection exploit.

Confidential data was in the input as well, security compromised.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Eldercain posted:

Try
doing a thing with input
Catch
End Try

tl;dr gently caress user input

But try catch is hard!

My first IT job was QA. I decided to take a technical approach about a day in because I couldn't figure out what was failing from the application.

My Former IT Director posted:

static void Main()
{
try
{
Run();
}
catch {}
}

tl;dr gently caress all users, inputs, exceptions.

The business thought the application was perfect because they never heard complaints from users and the bug count was basically zero. Treated the director like a golden boy.

This was at a data company that valued quality of information. :bravo:

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Sheep posted:

<queue 40 responses of people going "fine here!!">
"Please stop replying to all"
*replies to all*

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Manslaughter posted:

Confidential data was in the input as well, security compromised.

The confidential data input was of course "psasword". If they spelled it right it would never have been caught!

I thankfully don't program anything that is public facing so I can get away with some laziness. At least I don't print our production database passwords out in the logs :doh:

ElehemEare posted:

But try catch is hard!

Ahahahaha amazing. If it doesn't say it's broke why fix it? Just silently quash all errors and when some poo poo blows up down the road and the investigation launches, put in your 2 weeks and move on...

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I work in Finance and, per the sluggish nature of finance, we're just now migrating everyone to Internet Explorer 10 from IE 8. There are huge number of challenges with this, especially the hoop jumping that has to be executed with group policy and compatibility mode sites, etc. etc. What really loving irks me though is a vendor I just got off the phone with that told me that IE 10 would not be supported until loving September 2015.

So I call support again.

Me: "What do you have your customers on Windows 8/8.1 do? Just pound sand?"

lovely Vendor: "We recommend they downgrade to IE 8."

Me: "..."

How these people stay in business is beyond my brain. They also don't support Chrome or Firefox, so...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I work in Finance and, per the sluggish nature of finance, we're just now migrating everyone to Internet Explorer 10 from IE 8. There are huge number of challenges with this, especially the hoop jumping that has to be executed with group policy and compatibility mode sites, etc. etc. What really loving irks me though is a vendor I just got off the phone with that told me that IE 10 would not be supported until loving September 2015.

So I call support again.

How these people stay in business is beyond my brain. They also don't support Chrome or Firefox, so...

We had a customer that was stuck on IE6.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Bob Morales posted:

We had a customer that was stuck on IE6.

We have applications here that will work only in 8, some that work only in 10, some that only PARTS of work in 10 while other parts only work in chrome. Open the form in IE and fill out some of the fields, save, open in chrome to attatch a file and back to IE to submit.

We don't have terribly robust testing here

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Thankfully, any website we have we can use Chrome with IE Tab.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Inspector_666 posted:

I like when a client e-mails just me after hours and I can completely ignore them until 9AM the next day, when I just forward it off to the support e-mail.

:smug::hf::smug:

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
The funniest thing about it is that nobody has chrome installed. We all use the version you're supposed to carry on a flash drive since we don't have permissions to install anything. The program that won't let you attatch without chrome is the only way to request anything from the DBAs. Yep.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Stupid: "Hey, I'm Stupid, with Stupid loving IT Consultants."
Me: "How can I help?"
Stupid: "I have a client that has a file server of yours that I would like some help with."
Me: "Sure, what's the asset tag off the back of the machine?"
Stupid: "I'm in India and the computer is in the U.S. Is the asset tag part of any metadata?"
Me: "Unfortunately no (because our engineers are assholes, which I keep to myself). It will be on a small placard on the back. But, just tell me the issue, it's not always necessary to verify asset id for me to just help you."
Stupid: "Ok I'm going to give you the ip of a server we have here that I want you to rdc to."
Me: "Is it one of ours?"
Stupid: "No but I'm trying to configure a scheduled Windows backup and it's throwing me errors so I expect that you can rdc to the computer and just configure it for me."
Brief pause while I gather.
Me: "Stupid, let me summarize- you want me to rdc to a computer you are responsible for, to show you how to build a scheduled backup script to another Windows server?"
Stupid: "Well, no, I, the setup is failing, and it's to your server that is the target, so it is reasonable that it is an issue with your equipment."
Me: "Do you have general network shares created?"
Stupid: "Yes."
Me: "Are they accessible right now, manual file transfer moves ok?"
Me: "Have you configured other backup jobs on different computers? Do they work if so?"
Stupid: "What does that matter, this computer needs to work."
Me: "Have you?"
Me: "Do they work? Or fail? If they fail do they fail the same way?"
Stupid: "They work."
We both pause a moment.
Me: "There is nothing I could recommend to do with our file server that would help you. The issue clearly isolates to this other computer, which would be your responsibility to straighten out. Contact the server's manufacturer, or perhaps take those errors you're getting to MS support."
Stupid: - meekly - "Thanks bye."

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Merica posted:

or I get an email from a PM like this tagged with high importance as always: :supaburn::supaburn::supaburn: "Employee can't access their email. This needs to be resolved ASAP.":supaburn::supaburn:

I get at least one of these daily with no information. Either that or I get half my company TYPING IN ALL CAPS FOR NO GOOD REASON. :bang:

Better when a director swoops down on you looking for why a laptop user has remote access to company resources, because standard E-mail always equates the magical "Remote Access". Basically I lent out a laptop for someone to use for a presentation seminar with nothing fancy, just MS Office 2013 and Domain Joined as it was previously someone else's laptop and all I had to hand.

So of course I had to go through hoops of explaining;
- Using E-mail is standard functionality of our machines
- User only has minimal permissions like all other sales users
- Just because it was a managers laptop doesn't mean she has mega access to everything, everyone has their own passworded profile
- No she DEFINITELY does not have remote permissions, I'm literally looking at the user list right now
- Doing a few investigation sweep is complicated (Because I don't know what the gently caress you want and we aren't even set up for that)

Afterwards I really wanted to ask why should we bother giving anyone laptops if they want to cripple everything so bad, and I had to force the point that remote access is a requirement for some people to actually do their jobs.

Then of course the MD pipes up later in a frenzy because he bought some web dev work and needs uploading ASAP, without mentioning what the site even is. And topping it off with dropping another sudden new starter for this Thursday, least I've got the spare kit for this though. :supaburn:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Eldercain posted:

I thankfully don't program anything that is public facing so I can get away with some laziness. At least I don't print our production database passwords out in the logs :doh:

I'd seriously suggest reading Microsoft's "Anatomy of a Hack", even though it's old. Insecure internal-facing code isn't ok either

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Super Slash posted:

- Doing a few investigation sweep is complicated (Because I don't know what the gently caress you want and we aren't even set up for that)

Just do a full export of all permissions in active directory using powershell and hand him that.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
So, one of the projects I have been on for years included implementing some integration between some custom software another company was building for one of our customers and a document management system we resell. The whole time we were pushing for them to utilize the DMS's API to perform their functions such as uploading documents. They came up with every excuse in the book not to do it. Call the API to upload a document and it returns back the value they need? Nah, how about instead they SFTP us encrypted ZIP files filled with documents and XML files that need to be processed to convert them to another format (among other things). Then we import them through a process with less error handling and generate flat files to provide them the data they need (not to mention plenty of other processes)? The customer sided with them.

So, whatever, we build the stuff and bill the hell out of the prime because it's totally out of scope. So, the software has been live for five months now. I get an email tonight from one of the folks from the company who didn't want to use the API. "Hey, so does the DMS support any kind of web service to do things like uploading documents? Other DMS's like SharePoint do. I think someone said you mentioned the software has Java libraries..." Seriously? You want nothing to do with the API, we build all these dumb roundabout processes, and now that the software's been live for five months you are inquiring about using the API when one of your developers straight up said "we don't want to use the API" on one of the meetings? gently caress off.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GI_Clutch posted:

So, whatever, we build the stuff and bill the hell out of the prime because it's totally out of scope. So, the software has been live for five months now. I get an email tonight from one of the folks from the company who didn't want to use the API. "Hey, so does the DMS support any kind of web service to do things like uploading documents? Other DMS's like SharePoint do. I think someone said you mentioned the software has Java libraries..." Seriously? You want nothing to do with the API, we build all these dumb roundabout processes, and now that the software's been live for five months you are inquiring about using the API when one of your developers straight up said "we don't want to use the API" on one of the meetings? gently caress off.

More business = good business, no? Particularly if they now want poo poo to be built the right, easy way?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

5er posted:

Stupid: "Hey, I'm Stupid, with Stupid loving IT Consultants."
Me: "How can I help?"
Stupid: "I have a client that has a file server of yours that I would like some help with."
Me: "Sure, what's the asset tag off the back of the machine?"
Stupid: "I'm in India and the computer is in the U.S. Is the asset tag part of any metadata?"
Me: "Unfortunately no (because our engineers are assholes, which I keep to myself). It will be on a small placard on the back. But, just tell me the issue, it's not always necessary to verify asset id for me to just help you."
Stupid: "Ok I'm going to give you the ip of a server we have here that I want you to rdc to."
Me: "Is it one of ours?"
Stupid: "No but I'm trying to configure a scheduled Windows backup and it's throwing me errors so I expect that you can rdc to the computer and just configure it for me."
Brief pause while I gather.
Me: "Stupid, let me summarize- you want me to rdc to a computer you are responsible for, to show you how to build a scheduled backup script to another Windows server?"
Stupid: "Well, no, I, the setup is failing, and it's to your server that is the target, so it is reasonable that it is an issue with your equipment."
Me: "Do you have general network shares created?"
Me: "Are they accessible right now, manual file transfer moves ok?"
Me: "Have you configured other backup jobs on different computers? Do they work if so?"
Stupid: "What does that matter, this computer needs to work."
Me: "Have you?"
Me: "Do they work? Or fail? If they fail do they fail the same way?"
Stupid: "They work."
We both pause a moment.
Me: "There is nothing I could recommend to do with our file server that would help you. The issue clearly isolates to this other computer, which would be your responsibility to straighten out. Contact the server's manufacturer, or perhaps take those errors you're getting to MS support."
Stupid: - meekly - "Thanks bye."

My boss is like this he always wants to call vendors for every little issue, our RMM tool was turning out warnings because one of our SQL databases was going down, he called the RMM company for support on how to fix a SQL database for some random medical software.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

socialsecurity posted:

My boss is like this he always wants to call vendors for every little issue, our RMM tool was turning out warnings because one of our SQL databases was going down, he called the RMM company for support on how to fix a SQL database for some random medical software.

I think the chief thing that bothered me about this situation is that this guy calling me was claiming to be an "IT consultant", but couldn't figure out a simple backup scripting problem on a network architecture someone paid him to establish... and his solution instead of self-educating with publicly available resources was to try to 'trick' a third party resource into doing it for them. loving people are probably thriving pulling this poo poo off, and I don't know if I should be proud of, or condemning myself for having scruples.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I have a supplier like this. Their database of products is some old school mainframe monstrosity that seems to have been pushed on a modern platform with no attempt to actually improve it. So I'll write them nice little emails like "hey, this product doesn't actually have 300 carats worth of diamonds in it, it has 0.5. Just letting you know since we could be sued and put out of business for using your bullshit information. I've fixed more of their data in the last six months then probably their entire data validation team.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

5er posted:

loving people are probably thriving pulling this poo poo off, and I don't know if I should be proud of, or condemning myself for having scruples.

Specifically in the case of most storage appliance vendors....how do I say this. By the time a customer pays for overpriced hardware and a support contract, margins on storage appliances are big. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

So I call support again.

Nevermind. if your product requires me to have known security vulnerabilities, I'll just stop using your product. I'd rather use a thick client.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Tadiran phone system. The clock drifts a few minutes every couple days.

Company told us "you need a new processor card. $800 + $200 in labor"

I laughed for a good 3 minutes then hung up.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe you laughed for a minute, maybe five, you'll never know.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

More business = good business, no? Particularly if they now want poo poo to be built the right, easy way?

Nobody likes reinventing the wheel, even if you get paid to do it.

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Point it at 0.<cctld>.pool.ntp.org and set the update interval to every hour....? :confused:

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Manslaughter posted:

Nobody likes reinventing the wheel, even if you get paid to do it.

Exactly. I'm sick of this project and these people. The project was supposed to be completed a year ago, but the customer keeps dragging their feet. Pretty much everything we've done in the past six months has been out of scope and is billed T&M to the prime. The prime is eating these costs left and right as their contract with the customer was ambiguous. Even though the RFP asks for one thing, the customer thinks that doing it another way is still in scope and refuse to sign any CRs. The prime is finally getting to the point where they might get legal involved in the customer refuses particular CRs.

There's already an SOW in the works for yet another phase of this project which will keep me on it through the end of the year. As much as I want this to be over, there is one bright side to it all. I haven't been to the customer site in just over two years. Being stuck on this project has kept me working from home practically daily. I did miss out on being assigned the new US Virgin Islands project, but hey, at least I'm not spending weeks in hotels in podunk towns away from my family on other projects.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

EuphrosyneD posted:

Point it at 0.<cctld>.pool.ntp.org and set the update interval to every hour....? :confused:

I would make sure that the phone system is using the same time source as your DC's, since there's nothing quite like the uproar that happens when the time displayed on the phones and the computers are different by 2 whole minutes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EuphrosyneD posted:

Can't. We're going to try syncing it to the time signal in a trunk line that my helpdesk guy found some manual mentioning.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I am loving sick of people who are supposed to be driving our business (MSP) forward with new projects who instead massively overstate how difficult and involved something will be, and then return to loving around on the internet all day long. Don't spend a year saying "oh it would be nice to have x" when it's your loving job to deliver that nice thing. If you're going to be so goddamn lazy then at least step the gently caress out of the way when other people get bored of waiting for you to yank your thumb out of your arse and start on the project themselves, instead of throwing a poo poo-fit about your toes being trodden on.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

I am loving sick of people who are supposed to be driving our business (MSP) forward with new projects who instead massively overstate how difficult and involved something will be, and then return to loving around on the internet all day long. Don't spend a year saying "oh it would be nice to have x" when it's your loving job to deliver that nice thing. If you're going to be so goddamn lazy then at least step the gently caress out of the way when other people get bored of waiting for you to yank your thumb out of your arse and start on the project themselves, instead of throwing a poo poo-fit about your toes being trodden on.

There's a loving guy at our job that has the nastiest strategy. He's responsible for a few of the web tools that people use, and he maintains them *minimally*. So, when a search field is broken or inefficient, or something he is responsible is malfunctioning, he will come loom over the person that called out the problem and make them replicate it. This is either because he's too autistic to grasp the screenshots he's emailed, or he's trying to create a massive discomfort field to dissuade people from reporting problems.
Then, he does nothing. He doesn't reply to emails, he doesn't appear to be doing anything to redress the problem.
Eventually, be it a couple hours or days or however long the issue lingers, someone will bump the original report. It's at this point that, via some untrackable context he will message or tell a person, 'please route the request through your manager who will then route via my manager, I'm too busy.'
Problem is re-summarized with our manager. Who then emails this gently caress's manager. This gently caress's manager tells him to fix it.

Here's where the magic happens.

He responds with almost mystical reaction speed to his, and our manager's email, with the problem fixed, within an hour. He even puts it in terms of how he *spotted the bug himself* and was already working on it when it was initially reported.

His fixes are usually half assed, and sometimes get the cycle described, going again. But we've lived long enough with the shitbag to know we immediately route problem descriptions or feature improvement requests through our manager instead of directly communicating with him. I'm pretty sure our manager hates this; but understands what's going on, and for no reason I can surmise, is not disrupted enough by it to address it with the other manager.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

poo poo pissing me off today; I'm on a contract job, set up a couple computers, now I'm just sitting around waiting for a call back while the contacting does the rest of the configuration. It's been over a hour and I'm bored as gently caress.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Just do a full export of all permissions in active directory using powershell and hand him that.

That implies being able to read and understand concepts though.

In their minds they want some full-scale CSI cyber investigation on a laptop without telling me what they're after, when I tell them in basic terminology that every user/machine has folder redirection for their desktop and my documents, unless they were dinking around with the C: drive it makes no difference what they were doing.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Apparently being brash with everyone who pisses you off counts as "bad people skills." loving hippies :mad: I've been channeling Chris Traeger all day and it...actually feels kind of good. Not as good as telling people they're inept and to gently caress off, but pretty good.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So you tell him, he fixes it, he doesn't tell you (or release the fix), then on the down low has you report the problem to his manager so he looks like a goddamn wizard? That's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Super Slash posted:

That implies being able to read and understand concepts though.

In their minds they want some full-scale CSI cyber investigation on a laptop without telling me what they're after, when I tell them in basic terminology that every user/machine has folder redirection for their desktop and my documents, unless they were dinking around with the C: drive it makes no difference what they were doing.

You did what they wanted, just drown them in the details.

Roargasm posted:

Apparently being brash with everyone who pisses you off counts as "bad people skills." loving hippies :mad: I've been channeling Chris Traeger all day and it...actually feels kind of good. Not as good as telling people they're inept and to gently caress off, but pretty good.

It's extraordinarily easy to very pleasantly and bouncily tell people to go gently caress them, and it's way, way more satisfying.

myron cope posted:

So you tell him, he fixes it, he doesn't tell you (or release the fix), then on the down low has you report the problem to his manager so he looks like a goddamn wizard? That's pretty good.
Just report it to his manager in the first place.

"Hi Manager, since last time I contacted X directly he instructed me to let you know first, here's the thing: "