Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Gonkish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8wJIJSkjPY

So this guy made it to Sagittarius A, the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy. 25,900Ly in.

He didn't fly directly at it till he can't fly anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Knifegrab posted:

I hope this thread goes back to just talking about how cool this game is, how neat the sound design is, and posts beautiful pictures of space!

I still love turning off flight assist and just floating around in space.

Agreed.

FAOff in planet rings is my current favorite activity. Even when I gently caress up and jump out 100km away from a resource extraction site I'm content to zip around asteroids and practice sick maneuvers until I make it there.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Naturally Selected posted:

So, considering that everyone's already heard of it

You'd be astonished how not true that is, at least in my experience. I work in a very geek-heavy environment, in the UK, with people around my age, most of whom still play games of some sort.

When asked "did you play Elite in the 80s?" the reply was usually "yeah, of course, brilliant game", but had no idea that ED was a thing. And indeed no idea that games are often buy-able pre-release these days.

I think there's a loving huge market for this when it's 'finished'. And that's just the nostalgia factor. Once you take into account that most of this potential audience also has kids, and the game is quite educational re. space & astronomy stuff, and not terribly violent or objectionable (slave/drug-trading aside...), you're getting into Minecraft levels of parent-approved computer entertainment, and we know how that worked out.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

KakerMix posted:

TRAPEZIUM SECTOR CB-W C2-3

My dim view of Frontier and actual game mechanics aside, damned if this game isn't pretty. :allears:

Rotation Confusion posted:

I've supported well into millions of users of DAU so I get where you're going. Comparing their decision to AAA relationships with steam is a huge simplification on my part and I happily admit to it, I just also think it well defrays the "but but opportunity cost" point whats his name was trying to make.

I agree with pretty much all your points, and suspect that Elite will end up on Steam sometimes around year 2 when they've: 1) acquired 90%+ of the preexisting space sim user base and 2) have extremely well-detailed information on run rate for support. I think it's extremely unlikely that they'd put it on Steam in December when it'd be competing with the whole storefront based on sales discounts, and that Frontier has made a reasonable decision not to, but probably hasn't bothered looking at it very much. It's easy to exclude from rationality for a December launch without doing infinite market analysis on it.

So what's the point of making a ceteris paribus comparison between a 2.6B company and a barely-known developer, again? And gently caress yeah opportunity cost should be a massive consideration when you're not actually stacked to the ceiling with cash or projected income.

xiansi posted:

You'd be astonished how not true that is, at least in my experience. I work in a very geek-heavy environment, in the UK, with people around my age, most of whom still play games of some sort.

When asked "did you play Elite in the 80s?" the reply was usually "yeah, of course, brilliant game", but had no idea that ED was a thing. And indeed no idea that games are often buy-able pre-release these days.

I think there's a loving huge market for this when it's 'finished'. And that's just the nostalgia factor. Once you take into account that most of this potential audience also has kids, and the game is quite educational re. space & astronomy stuff, and not terribly violent or objectionable (slave/drug-trading aside...), you're getting into Minecraft levels of parent-approved computer entertainment, and we know how that worked out.

I absolutely agree with this. Was just responding to Rotation Confusion's assertion that "everyone that matters already knows about it". Which is loving idiotic on every level.

The game has lots of potential and, given at least *some* marketing could be a huge success. But the rushed release, absolute lack of marketing whatsoever, and idiots like the one I've been arguing with rejecting any notion of Frontier's fallibility aren't helping matters.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 1, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

xiansi posted:

Once you take into account that most of this potential audience also has kids, and the game is quite educational re. space & astronomy stuff, and not terribly violent or objectionable (slave/drug-trading aside...), you're getting into Minecraft levels of parent-approved computer entertainment, and we know how that worked out.

I'll have you know that the high point of my Elite career was fighting my way through to an Anarchy that had drugs at 0.1cr/ton. The game promptly crashed after docking, but the victory dance around the computer room once we'd starting the landing was my first real game-based high. The disappointment was crushing when it crashed. That was 1984.

On second thoughts, yeah, perhaps the kids shouldn't play this.

Sammich
Sep 30, 2012

I mean, what else am I gonna do? I sit up here and I read the labels. Light goes on... Light goes off... That's pretty much my day.

Bloody Wanker posted:

So im trying to update the OP to be Gamma-worthy.

I want to include some info about joysticks, and i was wondering what the general recommendations are.
Are saitek X-52 and Thrustmaster HOTAS the best/recommended ones?

I remember someone recommending a slightly cheaper stick that also held up well.

Also let me know if you have any additional info/links that should be in the op, or if you have any cool screenshots/videos/whatever that's OP-worthy.
Definitely get http://cmndr.club and the trading tool (finally updated for gamma!) at http://www.elitetradingtool.co.uk/ on there.

And definitely also screenshots of Big Harry's c/o Galaga Galaxian and that Doodie McDood NPC c/o Ghost of Eazy E

edited for not-lovely

Sammich fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 2, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

It's a space sim that is both deliberately hard and a objective-less sandbox. Putting it on steam would only generate a thread full of people complaining about how the game isn't things it isn't trying to be (like you). Everyone who actually wants to play something close to what they're trying to make has heard of it at this point. Again, they aren't trying to sell this game into being a blockbuster, they're trying to sell this game enough to fund servers, further development for content+expansions, and mostly showcase it as the engine flagship and sell engine licenses to other studios.

Wait, wait. One of your problem with Elite going onto steam is that people might think it is a bad game if they don't already love it before buying it?

EDIT: vvv The greatest gift of games is I can wander into threads and realize I am only the SECOND biggest :spergin: in them :downs: Honestly even with all the feature flaws/missing features/"No they have that feature on a digital shelf to be implemented later we swear", I'd consider it "Yes, this is a good game. Past just 'be thankful you are flying a spaceship'" and be playing it a lot if they just polished up all the drat bugs and currently existing features.

More convenient route planning options would be great, but I'd prefer blue throttle to stop spitting me past destinations on straight line trips at up to 5C first, for example.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 1, 2014

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Section Z posted:

Wait, wait. One of your problem with Elite going onto steam is that people might think it is a bad game if they don't already love it before buying it?

Guy posts pretty much 24/7 defending every single thing about this game. Can you imagine the workload if some of those fuckin' steam scrubs were allowed to gaze upon it?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

So this guy made it to Sagittarius A, the supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy. 25,900Ly in.

So what's with the bowl effect seen on the stars around him in space as he nears the black hole? Can someone explain this to my uneducated brain?

Edit:

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

Logitech keybind guides seem to assume that you'll be using the throttle on the stick, constantly switching to keyboard to have enough buttons. Mine assumes you'll be using the keyboard like a HOTAS throttle (and uses a spacey, hard to read font):

I put mine together before I stopped using the joystick throttle. I use the keyboard for throttle control almost exclusively now as the deadzone on the joystick throttle was beyond annoying.

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 1, 2014

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Hav posted:

Dude, they put up their accounts not five pages ago. Their other revenue streams are other published games, and deals they did with Disney, plus a royalty payout from Atari now they're out of Chapter 11.

http://www.frontier.co.uk/docs/files/Frontier%20Developments%20plc%20Annual%20Report%20and%20Accounts%202014.pdf - Wed, 17 Sep 2014 08:42:59 GMT

Page 36 is a good place to start.

Ya like I said I'd taken 30 seconds with it. Taking another whole minute, I see the sources of the income (thanks for the pg 36 pointer) but still have p much the same conclusion. They're burning at a multi-year run rate, they are cashflow positive and Elite needs to support itself but they aren't betting the farm. Maybe I missed something, I did not strongly read for detail.

So what's the point of making a ceteris paribus comparison between a 2.6B company and a barely-known developer, again? And gently caress yeah opportunity cost should be a massive consideration when you're not actually stacked to the ceiling with cash or projected income.

I cannot believe that you didn't italicize it. They're gonna take your fedora away if you keep that up.

I didn't use a ceteris paribus comparison, but I am glad you took an econ course at some point. I gotta admit though that even I am getting bored with arguing with you about your ability to yell into the interent. And that's really saying something.

The point is not that frontier has failed to make a decision including opportunity cost. No one thinks that but you, and you only think that because you really like thinking you know better than they do. The point is that the downsides are so obvious that structured analysis is unnecessary, and doing real cost/reward grinding on it, at the very least right now, is a waste of time. Braben knows that, which is why he out-of-hand dismisses the question. Does it really seem likely to you that someone running a successful independent studio, in the video games industry, for almost 20 years, is completely wrong about an obvious move like "should I put this on the steam store"?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LCL-Dead posted:

So what's with the bowl effect seen on the stars around him in space as he nears the black hole? Can someone explain this to my uneducated brain?

It's called gravitational lensing, look that term up on wikipedia.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Gonkish posted:

This also proves that their oh so complex behind the scenes NPC stuff is complete horseshit. It's entirely "is player in system? Spawn NPCs there if he is" with no checks whatsoever. It does the same loving routine it runs in Eranin in the loving Center of our Galaxy.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

LCL-Dead posted:

Edit:

I put mine together before I stopped using the joystick throttle. I use the keyboard for throttle control almost exclusively now as the deadzone on the joystick throttle was beyond annoying.

The gravitation of the hole is bending light around it, so the periphery of the hole appears to show the stars behind it, just compressed.

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Gonkish posted:

And some novice in a loving Eagle got there before him! Oh, how he must have been disappointed.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Section Z posted:

Wait, wait. Are you completely unable to detect sarcasm on the internet?

PS: I double pinky swear to let the badposters just badpost in the release thread.

Rotation Confusion fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 1, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wait, wait. Are you completely unable to detect sarcasm on the internet?

Well, it really would " generate a thread full of people complaining about how the game isn't things it isn't trying to be" on the steam forums. So if you were trying to be sarcastic you tripped past that and fell into "Welcome to the internet"

EDIT: vvv Will it involve more double posting? That seems to help (Am I doing sarcasm right guys? :downs:)

Actual game related content. I can't believe how long it took me to learn the Federal Fighter's called the Condor. At least according to that schematic image floating around. Why do I think Fed fighters are so cool?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 1, 2014

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Section Z posted:

Well, it really would " generate a thread full of people complaining about how the game isn't things it isn't trying to be" on the steam forums. So if you were trying to be sarcastic you tripped past that and fell into "Welcome to the internet"

OK so that's a "yes" on can't detect sarcasm then

don't distract me I gotta really get something going for when NS comes back with a sentence diagram about how I really was making a certeris peribus comparison.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

That's what I use, posted about it somewhere further back in the thread. I'm still not entirely comfortable with the layout as it requires some slightly awkward thumb gymnastics though once muscle memory kicks in it may not be an issue, but I've come to love the feel and accuracy of the stick and nothing else in that price range can match it for features.
Yeah, I was on the fence about it for a while. Your little thumbs up plus the video I posted swayed me though. Mine should arrive sometime this week, so fingers crossed.

If you're finding the stick action a bit loose, I think the gimbal is fairly easy to modify with new springs or even rubber bands.

Exioce posted:

And some novice in a loving Eagle got there before him! Oh, how he must have been disappointed.
I love how game designers consistently underestimate poopsockers.

"No we don't have much content for [MAX LEVEL]. But it's a week after release, how many people are going to need it?" -- Every MMO designer ever.

"It's 20,000 loving lightyears, what lunatic is even going to see this?!?" -- Frontier Developments.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The point is not that frontier has failed to make a decision including opportunity cost. No one thinks that but you, and you only think that because you really like thinking you know better than they do. The point is that the downsides are so obvious that structured analysis is unnecessary, and doing real cost/reward grinding on it, at the very least right now, is a waste of time. Braben knows that, which is why he out-of-hand dismisses the question. Does it really seem likely to you that someone running a successful independent studio, in the video games industry, for almost 20 years, is completely wrong about an obvious move like "should I put this on the steam store"?

Since the decision is so obvious to you, please enlighten me on the reasons why, without pointing to EA/Ubisoft/Microsoft as examples. I'm literally all eyes.

(Also :laffo: at "Braben knows better than to do a proper cost/benefit analysis")

E: VVV Don't worry about it. Sir Braben is smarter than you, gently caress casuals that still use Steam, etc. I agree. And that's where my whole "depth" argument was coming from-X3 and expansions were a great sanbox and had enough depth that you could spend years still figuring poo poo out. The only tough to master mechanic in E:D is FA toggled maneuvers.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 1, 2014

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

It's a space sim that is both deliberately hard and a objective-less sandbox. Putting it on steam would only generate a thread full of people complaining about how the game isn't things it isn't trying to be (like you).

A lot of your posts make it seem like you've been desperately out of touch with gaming for at least the past decade or something.

E:D (the game that exists right now, not some future incarnation) isn't particularly hard or unforgiving compared to anything except your standard AAA corridor shooter. X3 alone is a much more complex and difficult game to get into it, especially if you ever want to do anything except wander around. And directionless sandboxes have been all the rage for at least the past several years. Steam is filled to the brim with early access titles that literally drop you in a procedurally generated world with no direction and no tutorial and expect you to figure out how to bootstrap your way to success with twigs.

It's also kind of hilarious to act like deliberately hard games have no place on Steam when we're in the middle of an explosion of roguelikes and roguelites and roguelike-likes and whatever the gently caress. A deliberately hard, objective-less sandbox is exactly what Steam's userbase is looking for.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

They're burning at a multi-year run rate, they are cashflow positive and Elite needs to support itself but they aren't betting the farm. Maybe I missed something, I did not strongly read for detail.

Braben has thrown in a bunch of his own money and they posted an operating loss. This is the vinegar strokes of the whole process in terms of covering the gap between release and getting revenue, but as we discussed briefly they are cash-positive (not cashflow positive, see the operating loss) and have a revolving line of credit I would shank a bitch for; there's nothing wrong, but they _are_ betting the farm on success, which I believe they're going to see. Literally every development company does this, it's just that some are beholden to publishers that do the final marketing push (and those buys are _in advance_, requiring a solid date) and get shafted.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Welp. Bought the Thrustmaster HOTAS and the Merc edition in one fell swoop.

Guess I'm aboard the hype train, can't wait to hear about how I'm not having the fun I should be having. :rolldice:

DatonKallandor posted:

This also proves that their oh so complex behind the scenes NPC stuff is complete horseshit. It's entirely "is player in system? Spawn NPCs there if he is" with no checks whatsoever. It does the same loving routine it runs in Eranin in the loving Center of our Galaxy.

Seems like it! On the other hand, in a galaxy full of freelance explorers, who the gently caress wouldn't want to make a beeline to the Center? If I was in a lovely Eagle (ohmigod I'm getting a Freagle it just hit me) and I saw some rear end in a top hat trying to scoop me, I'd engage, too.

Killing rival explorers and stealing (or sharing :unsmith:) data should be A Thing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Well, if they ever deny us the Monkey Hangout, there's always this place:

VVVVVVVV Peter Gabriel space stories are the best of all stories. VVVVVVVVV

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 1, 2014

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I continue to be baffled by what goons are arguing about in this game but it's escalating to emoticons and quotes now.
Sincerely gas this thread the second E:D goes live and ban everyone from posting in it (me included) except for Peter Gabriel as he posts his :kiddo:-stories from space

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Since the decision is so obvious to you, please enlighten me on the reasons why, without pointing to EA/Ubisoft/Microsoft as examples. I'm literally all eyes.

I already did, man. The basic crux here is you're trying to force an argument about how you're more right on something that is (if you're right) a humongous screwup by a team with exhibited long-term competence. Occam's razor says it's way more likely you just really get off on thinking youre smarter than the next guy and will continue yelling until everyone stops engaging. I'll try one more time to point out the simplest part of this through: Steam in December isn't marketing for anything but games on sale for 30%+ off.

Paradoxish posted:

A lot of your posts make it seem like you've been desperately out of touch with gaming for at least the past decade or something.

More like deliberately out of touch with the gaming gestalt. You could well be right about ED popularity on Steam as a roguelike-like-like, but I don't think necrodancer or endless dungeon is much like ED. I'd be delighted to be wrong.

Hav posted:

Braben has thrown in a bunch of his own money and they posted an operating loss. This is the vinegar strokes of the whole process in terms of covering the gap between release and getting revenue, but as we discussed briefly they are cash-positive (not cashflow positive, see the operating loss) and have a revolving line of credit I would shank a bitch for; there's nothing wrong, but they _are_ betting the farm on success, which I believe they're going to see. Literally every development company does this, it's just that some are beholden to publishers that do the final marketing push (and those buys are _in advance_, requiring a solid date) and get shafted.

OHH I see what you're pointing at, ya I wasn't paying enough attention to the details under the summary. Sure, this is standard studio stuff. I think you can probably see them getting serious about it doing well with the marketing push that's happened lately, and maybe not enough of it. I still don't see what that has to do with launching on Steam in December though.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

Those cracks on his canopy :stare: Also man is the center of the galaxy pretty. :allears: Anybody know why the surrounding space is that light-orange hue? Is it just radiant light from other stars since everything is so close together?

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah, that's a bummer. :(

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Going to ask a question I asked on the other Elite Spice Girls must Flow thread the other goon posted to see if it gets any good replies...

Lets say that someone is starting from 0 (zero), what would be the beginning steps (or walkthrough) to get a decent ship out of the starting Sidewinder and into a Cobra or any of the subsequent "better" ships for either hauling or mining or pirating?

Since most people will start with a Sidewinder and it only holds a miserable amount of 4T of cargo, is "questing" the bulletin board the way to go to begin with or is there a viable trade route you can repeat that turns in a good profit?

What recommendations you guys have for those first starting up hours? Also what is the ballpark figure for other ships after the Sidewinder?

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Occam's razor says it's way more likely you just really get off on thinking youre smarter than the next guy and will continue yelling until everyone stops engaging

:ironicat:

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Tempus Thales posted:

Going to ask a question I asked on the other Elite Spice Girls must Flow thread the other goon posted to see if it gets any good replies...

Lets say that someone is starting from 0 (zero), what would be the beginning steps (or walkthrough) to get a decent ship out of the starting Sidewinder and into a Cobra or any of the subsequent "better" ships for either hauling or mining or pirating?

Since most people will start with a Sidewinder and it only holds a miserable amount of 4T of cargo, is "questing" the bulletin board the way to go to begin with or is there a viable trade route you can repeat that turns in a good profit?

What recommendations you guys have for those first starting up hours? Also what is the ballpark figure for other ships after the Sidewinder?

See if there are good bulletin board missions for you. If there are, run them. Check for more whereever those take you. Run lots. Do this till about 120K.

If there aren't any where you are, check the systems nearby. If they all suck then you can either: 1) reset save or 2) go somewhere better. If you pick #1 then repeat process. If you pick #2 then open the map and set navigation view to show only systems that are industry type: high tech, refinery, and agriculture. Look for a spot with all 3 close together. Go there.

At around 120K or so you can safely buy a hauler and start trucking or an eagle and start shooting/exploring.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Zsinjeh posted:

I continue to be baffled by what goons are arguing about in this game but it's escalating to emoticons and quotes now.
Sincerely gas this thread the second E:D goes live and ban everyone from posting in it (me included) except for Peter Gabriel as he posts his :kiddo:-stories from space

Add KakerMix to that list for the purdy screenshots and it'll be the best thread on the forums.

Speaking of emoticon replies, I'm just going to go with this:

deliberately out of touch with the gaming gestalt.

:froggonk:

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

Tempus Thales posted:

What I did was sell my freeagle and the weapons on my Sidewider. Mine a bit till you can get a hauler and do the same till you get what you want.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Look out fellow space pilots, I'm about to go there:

It seems like a lot of you are not enjoying your time with this video game. I'm sorry you don't like the game, but it feels prudent considering just how god drat long long you've been whining to suggest that maybe you would have a better experience spending your time on another video game, or perhaps taking some time away from the computer altogether. Maybe go outside, or read a nice book. A lot of you seem just explosively angry about the video game when you could just as easily do something more enjoyable. I'm not even sure that a lot of you who are angry about the video game are even regularly playing the video game. Go outside and take a look around. Maybe pick up a rock or take a jog. If you absolutely have to bend over and spray financial figures and aimless gripes, do so on the official forums where they might actually be read by a developer and do some good. You're doing nothing of worth here. Please, please, leave this space for people who like to read about the space ships when they can't play the space ships.

Yeah, I went there.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 2, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

More like deliberately out of touch with the gaming gestalt.

Behold! The Ur-Grognard in his natural habitat.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

More like deliberately out of touch with the gaming gestalt. You could well be right about ED popularity on Steam as a roguelike-like-like, but I don't think necrodancer or endless dungeon is much like ED.

They're not anything like ED, I just think the way you keep calling ED "hard and unforgiving" is kind of misguided given the current climate. Elite can be a little bit difficult to get into if you don't know what you should be doing or if you haven't played a space sim before, but it's relatively smooth sailing once you do. Compare that to something like (since you brought it up) Crypt of the Necrodancer. That game is loving hard, and will always be hard unless you spend a pretty decent amount of time at it. More random roguelikes like FTL will basically just give you a game over screen because they feel like it and because gently caress you, video game player.

I don't know. I just feel like you keep misinterpreting certain posts as wanting the game to be more casual or easier or whatever, when the reality is that a lot of us would probably like it to be more difficult and unforgiving in certain ways.

Hard Clumping posted:

Yeah, I went there.

It's also just entirely possible to enjoy discussing video games in ways other than fawning over how awesome they are. I can't speak for anyone else, but I actually enjoy ED quite a bit and I've never once been angry while posting in this thread. Maybe a little frustrated at weird meta-commentary like your post, but eh.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Hard Clumping posted:

Look out fellow space pilots, I'm about to go there:

It seems like a lot of you are not enjoying your time with this video game. I'm sorry you don't like the game, but it feels prudent considering just how god drat long long you've been whining to suggest that maybe you would have a better experience spending your time on another video game, or perhaps taking some time away from the computer altogether. Maybe go outside, or read a nice book. A lot of you seem just explosively angry about the video game when you could just as easily do something more enjoyable. I'm not even sure that a lot of you who are angry about the video game are even regularly playing the video game. Go outside and take a look around. Maybe pick up a rock or take a jog. If you absolutely have to bend over and spray financial figures and aimless gripes, do so on the official forums where they might actually be read by a developer. Please, please, leave this space for people who like to read about the space ships when they can't play the space ships.

Yeah, I went there.

I think a big problem is that we are all in sort of stasis before release as no one wants to play if there is a wipe. And of course this causes the hype to deteriorate to speculation, which in turn becomes nitpicking, which becomes theory crafting, which becomes down right vitriol.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Elite: Dangerous - Turns out we were the witch space all along

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Elite: Dangerous - More like deliberately out of touch with the gaming gestalt.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Hard Clumping posted:

Yeah, I went there.

Just FYI, this post seems way more angry than any of the other posts I've seen in the thread for quite some time.

E: Yeah. The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Elite: Dangerous - More like deliberately out of touch with the gaming gestalt.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Schroedinger's Mission: The theory that a simple haulage mission is there at the Space Station Bulletin Board until you look at the Mission list.

Top tips: When approaching a Space Dock place thing, you want the side that spins anti clockwise facing you, this is always the side with the door on it.

I did have another but just forgot it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

Top tips: When approaching a Space Dock place thing, you want the side that spins anti clockwise facing you, this is always the side with the door on it.

If you target the station, the little holographic targeting thingy on your dash actually has arrows pointing towards the docking port. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

peter gabriel posted:

Schroedinger's Mission: The theory that a simple haulage mission is there at the Space Station Bulletin Board until you look at the Mission list.

I did have another but just forgot it.

if you target the station the hologram on the bottom left has arrows pointing to the mailslot.^

• Locked thread