Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

eating only apples posted:

Talhotblonde is a good one.

everyone is lying. No Jessi, no Tommy. I think the original boyfriend is the only innocent victim

The documentary "Kill Me If You Can" is about a separate but similar incident but I wasn't really into the documentary itself.

Here's a write up.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2005/02/bachrach200502

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This is my favorite documentary. Pretty well done as I'm always "OMG is Joe gonna live???" as he is telling his story twenty years after it happened, obviously having lived.

Synopsis from Wikipedia:

You forgot the most horrifying and crippling part of it all. He thought he was going to die listening to an endless loop of "Brown Girl In The Ring" by Boney M. :shepicide:

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Might I suggest Dear Zachary?
yes might I suggest the literally saddest loving thing ever filmed

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's really good and definitely falls into "things spiral out of control" territory. It's a tough watch for sure though.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

The documentary "Kill Me If You Can" is about a separate but similar incident but I wasn't really into the documentary itself.

Here's a write up.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2005/02/bachrach200502

You forgot the most horrifying and crippling part of it all. He thought he was going to die listening to an endless loop of "Brown Girl In The Ring" by Boney M. :shepicide:

This is basically the thing that unnerved me the most. The way the brain acts when close to hypothermia and when under stress is scary. Having that song on repeat as an earworm while I'm slowly dying is a version of hell of don't want to experience.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

In 1985, Joe Simpson and Simon Yates, both experienced mountaineers, set out to ascend the previously unclimbed West Face of Siula Grande in Peru. Though they reach the summit, a powerful storm develops and Joe suffers a badly broken leg in a fall during the descent. The pair attempt a self-rescue, deciding to lower Joe with ropes down the steep and snowy slope while an enormous storm rages on. Simon cannot see where he is lowering Joe and Joe eventually drops over the edge of a large cliff and is suspended by the rope in mid-air. Simon arrests his fall, but neither sees the predicament his partner is in nor hears him over the howling wind.

Unable to pull Joe back over the cliff and gradually losing traction in the loose snow, Simon realizes after about an hour that there is little chance of recovery from this situation for either of them and he decides to cut the rope connecting him with Joe. Simon descends after surviving a subzero and stormy night on the mountain but cannot find his partner. He assumes Joe is dead and returns to the base camp alone, where he stays to recover.

Joe, however, has actually survived the fall

This is a slasher movie setup, right?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sarcopenia posted:

I've seen it like a hundred times, but good recommend yeah.

I feel like Dear Zachary as a whole is pretty good but even the first time I saw it I remember being kind of grossed out with the ridiculous filters and dramatic sound effects/music croscendo stuff they do at the climax. It's heartbreaking and mindboggling enough without having to resort to that sort of cheap emotional bullshit and it left a bit of a sour mark on the movie for me

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah it does suffer from some pretty bad production decisions, especially with the sound effects.

"I got in my car," *sound of a car door slamming shut, engine starting, tires screeching* "and when I arrived, I wrote a letter" *sound of pen scratching paper*

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
For decades an entire Island normalizes having sex with girls as soon as they are at the age of 12 to the point where it is normal to see pregnant 12 year olds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcairn_sexual_assault_trial_of_2004

quote:

"The woman said that at first, she had tried to object to the rapes. After a while, however, she had come to realize that there was nothing she could do about it"
:smith:

I can't help but wonder if most of the women who defended the practices did so because they didn't want to face that they had been abused and later enabled the abuse of their daughters.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The demographics on that island are insane.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
For me the amateurishness and rawness of dear Zachary's production just multiplied the effect. Like it's not some super professional filmmaker I dunno how far that dudes career got film wise but it gives the appropriate impression of an amateur dude doing a film for his buddy etc
Plus by the time there's like scary noise and the dad is like "I WANTED TO KILL-" I'm just curled up into a ball somewhere and easily affected

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sarcopenia posted:

For decades an entire Island normalizes having sex with girls as soon as they are at the age of 12 to the point where it is normal to see pregnant 12 year olds.

I can't help but wonder if most of the women who defended the practices did so because they didn't want to face that they had been abused and later enabled the abuse of their daughters.

Well, when an island colony is started by mutineers that kidnapped women from Fiji, I guess it's society is gonna be a little hosed up.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Can't remember where I found this so it may be a repost: http://www.vladsokhin.com/work/crying-meri/

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

For me the amateurishness and rawness of dear Zachary's production just multiplied the effect. Like it's not some super professional filmmaker I dunno how far that dudes career got film wise but it gives the appropriate impression of an amateur dude doing a film for his buddy etc
Plus by the time there's like scary noise and the dad is like "I WANTED TO KILL-" I'm just curled up into a ball somewhere and easily affected

A quick googling says that it changed a bunch of laws and criminal processes in Canada for the better at least?

Although there's always a teeny, terrible voice in the back of my head that goes "LOL, of course the Canadian part happened in Newfoundland".

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

8 Ball posted:

Can't remember where I found this so it may be a repost: http://www.vladsokhin.com/work/crying-meri/

Well, that was a soul-crushing read. Edit: Also, pretty NSFW.

But there was this: "Omsy was a rapist and thief but left the gang a few years ago to become a bass guitarist."

Business of Ferrets has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Jun 21, 2017

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/20/canada-toe-stolen-drinks-dawson-city-downtown-hotel?CMP=soc_567

quote:

Canada police investigate theft of mummified human toe served in drinks

Yukon bar’s 40-year-old signature drink, the sourtoe cocktail, featured the blackened toe inside – until a customer allegedly ran off with it

Police in Canada have launched an investigation after a patron at a Yukon bar allegedly stole the famed ingredient of their signature drink: a mummified human toe.

For more than 40 years the Downtown hotel in Dawson City has served up the sourtoe cocktail, a shot of whisky with a blackened toe – nail and all – bobbing inside. Those who manage to touch the gnarled, severed toe to their lips earn a certificate.

On Saturday a customer took it one step further, allegedly making off with the wrinkled digit after swallowing his drink. “We are furious,” said Terry Lee of the hotel. “Toes are very hard to come by.”

The man had apparently boasted of his plans to steal the toe earlier in the evening. He later convinced a staff member to let him try the drink outside of the designated two-hour window known at the bar as toe time. “And this is how he pays her back,” Lee said in a news release. “What a lowlife.”

The tradition claims to trace its roots to the 1920s, when a rum runner preserved his frostbitten, amputated big toe in a jar of alcohol in his cabin. Fifty years later, the pickled toe was discovered by a Yukon native who brought it to the Downtown, where it became a celebrated ingredient in its drinks.

After Saturday’s theft, the hotel contacted the police and began offering a reward to anyone with information. “We fortunately have a couple of back-up toes, but we really need this one back,” said Lee.

It was the newest addition to their collection, donated by a man who had had to have his toe surgically removed. After curing it for six months in salt, the staff had only begun adding it to drinks this weekend, the hotel manager told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. “This was our new toe, and it was a really good one,” said Geri Coulbourne.

At least eight other toes have gone missing over the years, some stolen while others have been swallowed. The original toe belonging to the rum runner was accidentally swallowed by a miner after seven years at the hotel, giving rise to another tradition: the hotel’s constant search for toes.

“Got frostbite?” reads an advertisement on its website, which goes on to promise that those who donate toes will be “immortalised in the Sourtoe Hall of Fame”. The hotel said it had received 10 donated toes – big toes are preferred – over the years, including a few that were left to the establishment through wills.

The tradition last made headlines in 2013, after a man seemingly deliberately swallowed the toe in his drink before slapping down C$500 –the fine at the time for anyone who stole or swallowed the toe.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:stare:

I kinda wanna try it. That's way more hardcore than a shot of Malort.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

This is the employees fault for letting him drink it outside of the designated time, hopefully she learns her lesson and goes the line for here on out.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

:stare:

I kinda wanna try it. That's way more hardcore than a shot of Malort.

no thanks freindo

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I remember hearing about the dude who swallowed the toe before. Isn't there something in Canadian laws that would make this illegal cause I can't imagine the US or UK being cool with people drinking things with desiccated corpse remains or eating them

I mean a Chinese place near me got shut down for a few months for having legally killed deer in their work freezer

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Honestly. You'd think the patrons would know to toe the line.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

you want a toe? I can get you a toe

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

8 Ball posted:

This is loving horrible.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

8 Ball posted:

Bloody hell.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, that's a rough one. I got hand twitching mad by chapter 2.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sarcopenia posted:

I can't find it - does anyone have the forum thread about "Have there ever been any successful libertarian societies" that did the ultimate self own with Pitcairn?

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
:unsmith: update on a thread favorite: Fran and Dan Keller were exonerated of all crime on June 20th..

You may or may not recall their story - they were essentially the flash point of the satanic panic craze in the early 90's. The link above recounts the cliff notes better than I can, so for the lazy here's an excerpt:

quote:

Fran and Dan Keller were each sentenced to 48 years in prison for the alleged sexual assault of a 3-year-old girl who was an occasional drop-in at their home daycare center on the rural outskirts of Austin. The child initially accused Dan of spanking her “like daddy” used to, but under intense and repeated questioning by her mother and a therapist, the story morphed to include claims of rape and orgies involving children. From there, the number of children alleging abuse increased and the accusations grew even more lurid and confounding: The Kellers had sacrificed babies; they held ceremonies in a local graveyard; they put blood in the children’s Kool-Aid; Fran cut off the arm of a gorilla in a local park; they flew the children to Mexico to be sexually assaulted by military officials.

I am also quite bewildered by the police report that they obtained. All I can do is hold my head and wonder how the hell anyone would ever believe anything like that was going on...

Then I remember pizzagate and give up hope for society.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

That drat Satyr posted:

:unsmith: update on a thread favorite: Fran and Dan Keller were exonerated of all crime on June 20th..

You may or may not recall their story - they were essentially the flash point of the satanic panic craze in the early 90's. The link above recounts the cliff notes better than I can, so for the lazy here's an excerpt:

I am also quite bewildered by the police report that they obtained. All I can do is hold my head and wonder how the hell anyone would ever believe anything like that was going on...

about drat time.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
There was some discussion earlier about "how on earth can fake memory implanting even work" and today I found a link to this article on that phenomenon http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/06/19/remembering-the-murder-you-didnt-commit

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

InediblePenguin posted:

There was some discussion earlier about "how on earth can fake memory implanting even work" and today I found a link to this article on that phenomenon http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/06/19/remembering-the-murder-you-didnt-commit

I think this was posted a few pages ago but yeah it's a good read.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

In Pakistan, a Fuel Tanker Fire Leaves at Least 150 Dead

quote:

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — When a tanker truck overturned on a road in eastern Pakistan on Sunday, hundreds of people rushed toward the vehicle to collect the spilled and leaking fuel.

Using buckets, bottles and cans, they scooped up some of the 5,500 gallons of fuel that was gushing onto the road. For about an hour, men, women and children from nearby villages, as well as some passers-by who pulled over in their cars and motorbikes, collected the windfall, despite attempts by the police to warn them away from the scene.

Then, suddenly, the truck caught fire and exploded, killing at least 150 people and seriously injuring at least 100 others.

fuuuuuuuuck :catstare:
I can't imagine what that must have looked like. A huge crowd of people splashing around in petrol, all going up in flames at once.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

That drat Satyr posted:

quote:

Mouw told me that not long after the Kellers were convicted, he attended a medical conference where he learned that what he had interpreted as signs of abuse were nothing more than a normal variant of female genitalia.

Haha, what the gently caress

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

BrianRx posted:

Haha, what the gently caress

That part does kind if morbidly make me want to know what he saw that he mistook for signs of abuse. Like... Surely that dude must have written a detailed report that's out there somewhere since it says he tried very hard to have the courts reassess the facts.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
"These sick bastards really did a number on this girl's penis."

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

In Pakistan, a Fuel Tanker Fire Leaves at Least 150 Dead

fuuuuuuuuck :catstare:
I can't imagine what that must have looked like. A huge crowd of people splashing around in petrol, all going up in flames at once.

This has happened multiple times at the exact same spot at a really sharp turn that leads up to the tiny Tanzanian village I'm from. :(
You can still see a huge orangy spot where it happened. Gave me nightmares for weeks.

The only good thing that came out of it is that it's kind of a "green boots" that makes the trucks slow down and be careful.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sarcopenia posted:

This has happened multiple times at the exact same spot at a really sharp turn that leads up to the tiny Tanzanian village I'm from. :(
You can still see a huge orangy spot where it happened. Gave me nightmares for weeks.

The only good thing that came out of it is that it's kind of a "green boots" that makes the trucks slow down and be careful.

Jesus, multiple times? I'm so sorry.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
[

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 11:19 on Dec 14, 2021

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Sarcopenia posted:

My mom also had a good story about a black widow that terrorized the entire village for years until she somehow mysteriously disappeared.

:justpost:

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Bamabalacha posted:

As someone else posted, a Buzzfeed writer was on the Pulitzer short list for his work on the site. My dad was a journalist at a huge, well regarded paper and him and all his colleagues held their news division in well regard.

They use their clickbait to fund legitimately excellent and in depth journalism.

My favorite fun fact about BuzzFeed is that the founder wrote his college thesis on viral marketing in light of Deleuze and Guattari's Capitalism & Schizophrenia.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

8 Ball posted:

It will be a long time before I forget this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dissapointed Owl posted:

"These sick bastards really did a number on this girl's penis."

hahaha

I'm betting it's just that labia can be radically different from one person to the next, and pre-pornography the average person didn't see that many sets of women's genitals.