Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

“Wife is out of town until Tuesday, I get to play golf all weekend!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I'm leaving for Augusta tomorrow.

Playing Sunday, going to the Masters practice round on Monday, then playing Tuesday and Wednesday. If I can get tickets to any of the Thur-Sun rounds I'll stick around, otherwise leaving on Wednesday night.

Weather is lining up perfectly for me... Not so much for the guys who have to play in the tournament.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BCRock posted:

I'm leaving for Augusta tomorrow.

Playing Sunday, going to the Masters practice round on Monday, then playing Tuesday and Wednesday. If I can get tickets to any of the Thur-Sun rounds I'll stick around, otherwise leaving on Wednesday night.

Weather is lining up perfectly for me... Not so much for the guys who have to play in the tournament.

If you get a chance to play Forest Hills (https://www.theforesthillsgolfcourse.com/) up that way I highly recommend it. When I went to the Masters years ago we stopped and played there.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

mattfl posted:

If you get a chance to play Forest Hills (https://www.theforesthillsgolfcourse.com/) up that way I highly recommend it. When I went to the Masters years ago we stopped and played there.

100%. I played there when I went in 2019 and it's on the books for Tuesday next week. Sunday is Harbor Club and Wednesday is Stone Mountain.

One of the guys I'm going with really wanted to play Champions Retreat, which is where the Women's Amateur Championship played the first 2 rounds this week before they play Augusta National for the final tomorrow, but they wanted $3500 per foursome, so LOL at that.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BCRock posted:

but they wanted $3500 per foursome, so LOL at that.

I'm sorry what? My whole trip, which includes 5 rounds and a beachfront house to Kiawah in 2 months isn't that much, wtf.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Yeah it's insanity. I get that it's a swanky private club that you'd normally never get access too, but they're really taking advantage of rich/crazy people flying in for Masters week. And to be fair, the $3500/foursome gets you basically full access to the course/club for the day, so you can play as much golf as you can get in and all of the food/drinks are covered as well, but it's still ridiculous.

Like you said, $3500 gets you a really nice golf trip to tons of places, not just one day at some random country club that happens to be very close to Augusta. Or for the $900 per person I could pay the guest fees at Riviera or LACC like half a dozen times.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It's sad how the ESPN+ tournament coverage is super good with multiple featured groups, usually with the leaders on day 2, but then on the weekend they can't follow the leaders because the lovely NBC coverage takes over. And the NBC coverage is impossible to follow because they don't put a little chyron on screen about who the player is, what position they're at and what shot they are hitting.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Today's my day to volunteer at LIV Orlando. Hopefully I come back with some good stories

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Do you guys have any recommendations to a good video or article for a good pre-round stretch/warmup? I haven't played since September, and I'm going for my first virtual golf session today. I tweaked my lower back pretty good a few months ago too so I don't really want to aggravate that either. Appreciate any suggestions :shobon:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Mederlock posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations to a good video or article for a good pre-round stretch/warmup? I haven't played since September, and I'm going for my first virtual golf session today. I tweaked my lower back pretty good a few months ago too so I don't really want to aggravate that either. Appreciate any suggestions :shobon:

I'm almost 60, and my routine is "gently caress it, too late now" and I'm sticking with it.

Seriously, my warm-up is no more than 30 balls, and most with wedges only moving to full swings in the last five or so balls, driver of 5w.

My only real stretching is some light back stretches, usually touching my toes, and doing some cross body stretches with the cart to help the pull. Then toe touching every few holes to pop my back.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
after a hot shower or bath stretch on the floor every night before bed
use resistance bands and 12lb ball 3-5x per week
take super hot soak baths before rounds
stretch again before heading out
stretch again before hitting even a putt

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

This guy is kind of an rear end in a top hat, but this is more or less what I do: https://youtu.be/AUXRlatg2cA

I’m not over 50 yet, but mileage-wise my body definitely is.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Omne posted:

Today's my day to volunteer at LIV Orlando. Hopefully I come back with some good stories

Are you on Reddit too?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Omne posted:

If they have the old school smash or crushers logo hat that looks like a fart, please get me one and I'll pay you for it.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Overall LIV impressions: So very different lol. I worked at the Birdie Shack, which is pretty much a huge party tent off the 16th green. DJ, dancing, a fight broke out, friggin nuts. Saw a few big name players come through. The players definitely seem into it, responding to cheers from the tent when they sunk a long putt, chatting after a tee shot, etc. What I told a buddy who asked was it felt more like a music festival, with golf instead of bands.

Farking Bastage posted:

Are you on Reddit too?

I am, but I don't post in r/golf or r/orlando much, certainly not about volunteering today

Kameh posted:

If they have the old school smash or crushers logo hat that looks like a fart, please get me one and I'll pay you for it.

I briefly walked through the merch area (aka the pro shop for OCN), and peaced out of there when I saw the prices. If I go back tomorrow to walk around, I'll see if I can stop in and check for you, but wouldn't count on it.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Omne posted:

Overall LIV impressions: So very different lol. I worked at the Birdie Shack, which is pretty much a huge party tent off the 16th green. DJ, dancing, a fight broke out, friggin nuts. Saw a few big name players come through. The players definitely seem into it, responding to cheers from the tent when they sunk a long putt, chatting after a tee shot, etc. What I told a buddy who asked was it felt more like a music festival, with golf instead of bands.

That almost sounds fun minus the violent alcoholism.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Are we doing the Masters betting group this year? Those are always a blast to participate in.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kirios posted:

Are we doing the Masters betting group this year? Those are always a blast to participate in.
Ya I’ll post the thread in the morning

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: Masters thread and betting pool are up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028975 :siren:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

wyoak posted:

12.5 with a stiff shaft seems like an unusual combo. Most drivers are adjustable +- 1.5 or 2 degrees, getting a 10.5 degree head would give you a pretty wide range to test

or just get fitted
An update of sorts. I didn't actually realize my driver was adjustable. I mean, I guess I knew, I just didn't really think about it. Dialed it all the way down to 10.5 and I am getting pretty solid numbers, like 245-250 carry at 98-100 mph swing speed on reasonably well struck ones.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 3, 2023

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

The Chiropractor is gonna have to look at me this week. If I make the slightest golf motion, it pinches both sides of my spine. sucks :(

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played with 3 guys. Good golfer, 2x bad golfers. Spent 4 hours shagging balls. The other good golfer never watched anyone else's tee shot, never helped find a ball.

It's in one's own interest to help, as they will never find the ball on their own, and the pace will reflect that. It was irritating to have the guy completely engage with the group, chat, play in turn, in every way be part of the four ball, but never watch a shot. Neither did the two bad golfers, but that's the norm. It meant that frequently I went to right rough for player A, left rough for player B, back to player A, then to my ball, wait for the other three to hit again, then get to play my second shot.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
If you’re bad drop that poo poo and play ready golf

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Just walked 30k steps at Augusta today. SO many more spectators, sorry patrons, there today than there were for the 2019 Wednesday practice round that I went to.

Pics coming later after I get everything uploaded.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

i am a moron posted:

If you’re bad drop that poo poo and play ready golf

And lose that $1.25 ball?

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Buy cheaper balls lmao

In all seriousness as I get older it’s hard enough to find my own balls cause I can’t tell where anything went. I do have a buddy who must be legally blind at this point who I help out but it probably looks like we’re a couple of idiots out there. I drop judiciously now

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

As a terrible golfer I lost 3 balls on my first 18 holes of the year and felt glad it wasn't double that. But I also play $1 balls

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

torgeaux posted:

And lose that $1.25 ball?

Bad players play pro-v’s.

I can’t imagine not giving a poo poo about my partners balls. As a half blind person its dope to have a little help here and there and I try my best to be a homie to those around me. I have almost no depth perception but I can guess a general curve distance to try and help. Can’t imagine just walking away like an rear end in a top hat.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I got gifted some pro-v1x's and look, am I going to say it's worth it? No. But holy poo poo they go long and feel great

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

abigserve posted:

I got gifted some pro-v1x's and look, am I going to say it's worth it? No. But holy poo poo they go long and feel great

I won’t buy ‘em but I’ll damned sure shag them !

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Ya I love finding a lonely Pro V1 in the bush or scooped out of the drink, but I'll only ever buy Kirkland balls for my own play at this point

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

torgeaux posted:

Played with 3 guys. Good golfer, 2x bad golfers. Spent 4 hours shagging balls. The other good golfer never watched anyone else's tee shot, never helped find a ball.

It's in one's own interest to help, as they will never find the ball on their own, and the pace will reflect that. It was irritating to have the guy completely engage with the group, chat, play in turn, in every way be part of the four ball, but never watch a shot. Neither did the two bad golfers, but that's the norm. It meant that frequently I went to right rough for player A, left rough for player B, back to player A, then to my ball, wait for the other three to hit again, then get to play my second shot.
Agreed with the others--don't encourage looking for balls. Bad players should drop liberally. Pace of play > *.

gvibes posted:

An update of sorts. I didn't actually realize my driver was adjustable. I mean, I guess I knew, I just didn't really think about it. Dialed it all the way down to 10.5 and I am getting pretty solid numbers, like 245-250 carry at 98-100 mph swing speed on reasonably well struck ones.
Like, this actually seems pretty close to ideal

Mederlock posted:

Ya I love finding a lonely Pro V1 in the bush or scooped out of the drink, but I'll only ever buy Kirkland balls for my own play at this point
I used TP5x pix for my simulator, and will have some slightly beat up high end balls to lose on the course before regressing to the kirkland balls.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 4, 2023

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

gvibes posted:

Agreed with the others--don't encourage looking for balls. Bad players should drop liberally. Pace of play > *.

No, that's terrible etiquette. If I can walk straight to their ball, I'm going to (and I usually can because I'm paying attention and know where it is as a result). The impact on pace of play is declining to help and letting them spend three minutes then dropping.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

gvibes posted:

Like, this actually seems pretty close to ideal

I used TP5x pix for my simulator, and will have some slightly beat up high end balls to lose on the course before regressing to the kirkland balls.

Fascinating - you and I have drat near the same carry / total distance on driver.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

torgeaux posted:

No, that's terrible etiquette. If I can walk straight to their ball, I'm going to (and I usually can because I'm paying attention and know where it is as a result). The impact on pace of play is declining to help and letting them spend three minutes then dropping.

This may surprise you apparently, but some people may not be able help no matter how much attention they were paying due to things like bad eyesight. I don’t think anyone suggested telling people to gently caress off, and I get you’re asking about the etiquette of the person you were playing with which for all I know they were legit being dicks. But I have enough problems finding my own ball and being good or bad at golf shouldn’t impact your ability to locate your shot. And if you can’t find it, drop that poo poo and get your rear end moving imo

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

i am a moron posted:

This may surprise you apparently, but some people may not be able help no matter how much attention they were paying due to things like bad eyesight. I don’t think anyone suggested telling people to gently caress off, and I get you’re asking about the etiquette of the person you were playing with which for all I know they were legit being dicks. But I have enough problems finding my own ball and being good or bad at golf shouldn’t impact your ability to locate your shot. And if you can’t find it, drop that poo poo and get your rear end moving imo

Look at the post I quoted for this: don't encourage looking for balls.

And sure, you're right. If someone you're playing with can't see their own ball, they're not gonna be able to help keep the group in play. On the other hand if the can, and do, spot their own ball, without fail, and on every occasion never even watch the other players? They are making a choice, not limited by ability.

If I'm playing with you, I'd notice you can't track the ball at a distance, so I'd be inclined to be more careful about watching your ball flight.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Our group’s usual thought is that if you reasonably think the ball is just off the fairway or in a playable area, let’s take a minute or two to try to find it. If it’s in the woods or fescue or whatever, just let it go and take a drop.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I always watch my playing partners balls (lol) because I have good long distance vision and if they can find their balls faster then the round goes faster.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

BCRock posted:

Just walked 30k steps at Augusta today. SO many more spectators, sorry patrons, there today than there were for the 2019 Wednesday practice round that I went to.

Pics coming later after I get everything uploaded.
How do you win the masters lottery twice in five (really four) years and have you won powerball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

wyoak posted:

How do you win the masters lottery twice in five (really four) years and have you won powerball

I have won the lottery zero times, sadly. Out of the many people I know, two of them have happened to win and be nice enough to invite me though.