Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Tracula posted:

I'd wager that the people behind the film probably know nothing about Islam except that they're brown and blow stuff up and that's all they need to know goddern it :freep:

Honestly Gods Not Dead seems way, way worse and more offensive than Saving Christmas. Kirk Cameron is an rear end in a top hat and batshit insane but at least Saving Christmas is just kinda harmless in its insanity and at worst the moral is teaching you to be materialistic. Gods Not Dead actively seems to hate anyone who isn't Christian and that you deserve to get cancer or get beaten if you don't believe in the white mans god or whatever.

Saving Christmas makes fun of the idea that secular society is waging some sort of "war on Christmas", which practically makes it the polar opposite of God's Not Dead: a movie desperately trying to convince you that the Bourgeois Liberal Elite is waging a culture war against Good Christian Values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Annointed posted:

God's not Dead 2 is open april 1

This is a joke

A joke rite?

National Atheists' Day. :smug:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

National Atheists' Day. :smug:

It's a joke, a joke blacker than the void that encompasses the stars.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Holy poo poo God's Not Dead is a loving garbage movie it makes me so mad.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The pizza man song from House 4 is still stuck in my head. It's insidious.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tracula posted:

I'd wager that the people behind the film probably know nothing about Islam except that they're brown and blow stuff up and that's all they need to know goddern it :freep:

Honestly Gods Not Dead seems way, way worse and more offensive than Saving Christmas. Kirk Cameron is an rear end in a top hat and batshit insane but at least Saving Christmas is just kinda harmless in its insanity and at worst the moral is teaching you to be materialistic. Gods Not Dead actively seems to hate anyone who isn't Christian and that you deserve to get cancer or get beaten if you don't believe in the white mans god or whatever.
The word banal is what I use to describe God's Not Dead.

I hate it with every atom of my body.

Its such a bullshit movie that continues that stupid myth that professors at college are all these elitist liberal atheists who want to turn you away from god. Now granted my adviser/mentor/friend/paleontology professor was a very liberal man, but the guy is a Catholic and not this evil Atheist.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah, holy crap. Was Gods not dead patient zero for the current crop of Christian films in mainstream theatres?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It sure seems that way.

Plus people are just real receptive to this kinda crap more than usual lately, what with those dang liberals and their kind eroding the morals of our great nation. :911:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Next thing you'll know trans rights will be considered normal, being poor isn't a moral failing and capitalism isn't a practice that'll bring you closer to god.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, holy crap. Was Gods not dead patient zero for the current crop of Christian films in mainstream theatres?

yes. It got Pureflix on the map, and opened the floodgates. Saving Christmas was just riding the wave, God's Not Dead is the epicenter.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

The word banal is what I use to describe God's Not Dead.

I hate it with every atom of my body.

Its such a bullshit movie that continues that stupid myth that professors at college are all these elitist liberal atheists who want to turn you away from god. Now granted my adviser/mentor/friend/paleontology professor was a very liberal man, but the guy is a Catholic and not this evil Atheist.

That's just as bad to many hardcore heretics, I mean Protestants.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I want to create a web-series called God's Not Bread, but for the life of me I can't figure out what the actual content of the show would be. And I'm not really set up for a baking show.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

What pisses me off more about these kind of movies that say Christianity is under attack is that they are usually talking about their brand of Christianity. Not denominations but the kind that preach "Family Values (TM)" and any one who doesn't follow them has to convert or go to hell. gently caress you if your a liberal Christian. gently caress you if your LGBT and Christian.

MrSlam posted:

I want to create a web-series called God's Not Bread, but for the life of me I can't figure out what the actual content of the show would be. And I'm not really set up for a baking show.

All I can think of is a jack chick track saying how evil Catholics are.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

MrSlam posted:

Well a lot of people see Jesus in Toast, you could have it be debunking and going through the weird religious hoaxes of the ages.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

MrSlam posted:

Spinoff of the greatest podcast ever, following the PER system
Pick a Bread
Eat a Bread
Rate a Bread

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Annointed posted:

Next thing you'll know trans rights will be considered normal, being poor isn't a moral failing and capitalism isn't a practice that'll bring you closer to god.

You're under arrest for crimes against Calvinism

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

There has long been a pretty big sub-economy of people wanting specifically "Christian" things, mainly because of the growing demo of Evangelical types that conflate a religion with a sort of dualistic identity, where if you're not consuming stuff that is specifically labeled as Christian, you are enjoying evil, Worldly things.

I'm pretty sure Tyler Perry and his terrible, terrible movies were paving the way for God's Not Dead. Particularly since, now that Christianity is no longer the assumed entertainment default, there's not a lot of the kind of stories this group really wants. (Basically, "Yes, you are correct for believing what you do, and all these people who say you are wrong are literally evil people who just need to believe like you do/already believe but don't want to for stupid reasons.")

I was thinking the other day about an acquaintance of mine who falls into that demo, and how she once told me that she likes to pretend that the "what if the blue I see is actually green, man?" thing is true, so that means everyone actually has the same favorite color, they just don't know it. I feel like that kind of sums up this particular group's thinking: just an inability to deal with the idea that, given the same reality, people can come up with a multitude of different philosophies and opinions.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

MrSlam posted:

Make it about what foods are good for Passover, like Motza.

Puppy Time posted:

There has long been a pretty big sub-economy of people wanting specifically "Christian" things, mainly because of the growing demo of Evangelical types that conflate a religion with a sort of dualistic identity, where if you're not consuming stuff that is specifically labeled as Christian, you are enjoying evil, Worldly things.

I'm pretty sure Tyler Perry and his terrible, terrible movies were paving the way for God's Not Dead. Particularly since, now that Christianity is no longer the assumed entertainment default, there's not a lot of the kind of stories this group really wants. (Basically, "Yes, you are correct for believing what you do, and all these people who say you are wrong are literally evil people who just need to believe like you do/already believe but don't want to for stupid reasons.")

I was thinking the other day about an acquaintance of mine who falls into that demo, and how she once told me that she likes to pretend that the "what if the blue I see is actually green, man?" thing is true, so that means everyone actually has the same favorite color, they just don't know it. I feel like that kind of sums up this particular group's thinking: just an inability to deal with the idea that, given the same reality, people can come up with a multitude of different philosophies and opinions.

The biggest issue with these movies is that the genre has grown in audience, but is still dealing with sub-par writing. Therefore, in War Room, it's not enough that the family go through a rough patch, the husband is emotionally abusive to his wife and child. He cannot just back out of an affair due to a guilty conscience, it muse be divine food poisoning. There is no middle ground.

It also shows the issues people have with other people not following lockstep. It's why in Old Fashioned, the main character must make his friends bachelor party about himself, not the groom. He's offended, he makes a scene, instead of quietly leaving and saying that the stripper is not something for him and will politely decline. It's a manifest of the thinking "if we make everything in our way, everyone will understand how wrong they've been".

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

God's Not Dead seems like the kind of movie that Mac from It's Always Sunny would make.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's just as bad to many hardcore heretics, I mean Protestants.

Puppy Time posted:

The whole phenomenon of Tyler Perry movies is fascinating to me. Here is a man who identified a largely under-served audience (middle-class African-Americans) and made it the foundation of this miniature empire of stage and screen productions, largely independently of the conventional Hollywood system, by producing media that this audience wanted to see. I think it is an admirable achievement, even if the movies aren't very good.

Of course, there's all sorts of brouhaha about how (mostly white) critics shied away from being too hard on any of the Madea films because they were aware that it probably wouldn't be a good look, but I don't know whether or not that's a fair assessment.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Jack Gladney posted:

The pizza man song from House 4 is still stuck in my head. It's insidious.

It has no business being so catchy!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MrSlam posted:

We already did the joke where you make it about denying transubstantiation of the eucharist, right?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It could be a show where you define everything god is not, in a quest to find out what god is. Starting with bread. Then maybe "God is not a teacup" then "God is not a podcast" and continue until you've either gone through everything in the universe or found god.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
God's not Dead isn't just insulting to me as an Atheist, but insulting to Christians by comparing them to the characters in the movie.

Also, how hard is it to look up great theologians like Saint Augustine or whoever for your arguments about God? They've been debating the existence of God and Evil for literally two thousand years and they've come up with a lot of better arguments than the ones presented by douche in the movie!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

MonsieurChoc posted:

God's not Dead isn't just insulting to me as an Atheist, but insulting to Christians by comparing them to the characters in the movie.

Also, how hard is it to look up great theologians like Saint Augustine or whoever for your arguments about God? They've been debating the existence of God and Evil for literally two thousand years and they've come up with a lot of better arguments than the ones presented by douche in the movie!

SAINT!? What are you, some kind of Cath-o-lic?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

PassTheRemote posted:

The biggest issue with these movies is that the genre has grown in audience, but is still dealing with sub-par writing. Therefore, in War Room, it's not enough that the family go through a rough patch, the husband is emotionally abusive to his wife and child. He cannot just back out of an affair due to a guilty conscience, it muse be divine food poisoning. There is no middle ground.

The writing is exactly what the intended audience wants; this is not, as a whole, a group given to nuance or subtlety. It's people who, by and large, have been taught (often raised) to conform, to accept authority unquestioningly, and generally to follow scripts and not think too much.

They can't show an average rough patch, because that's not clear enough (and might remind viewers a little too much of their own lives). They can't show a crisis of conscience, because it has to be an obvious miracle, to demonstrate that God directly interferes with things when prayed to. Pretty much everything about the writing is a sort of paint-by-numbers approach where you start with what beliefs you want to enforce, then come up with the way to jury-rig all that enforcement together, which is why every single character in these movies is a stereotype with no real inner life.

It all basically boils down to "Have my beliefs = Good, Don't have = Evil" because, by and large, the target market has been taught this very thing. (Which is also why you occasionally see people treating atheists, Muslims, homosexuals, etc. as in league with one another; their particular form of Christianity teaches that literally everything is EITHER Christian OR Satan, no matter how little sense that makes to an outsider.)

It's super weird and makes for terrible art, because any sort of depth and nuance are impossible. It also makes for really awkward social events, which is one reason I never visit my inlaws. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Of course, I think it goes without saying that if you're terrified of your beliefs being challenged - and just challenged; not mocked, not scorned (if somebody's mocking or scorning your beliefs, of course you'll feel upset), not even flat-out denied - then they probably can't be very strong in the first place, can they?

One supposes the Gospels would have been quite a bit shorter if Jesus had just told the Pharisees to gently caress off instead of engaging with them. :v:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I desperately want a competing company to form offering opposing straw man arguments to each and every film that PureFlix puts out. Each one with incredibly lazy titling, just to trick people looking for the PureFlix movie.

Basically, I want an Atheist/Agnostic version of Asylum, but wholly centered on religious propaganda films.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I desperately want a competing company to form offering opposing straw man arguments to each and every film that PureFlix puts out. Each one with incredibly lazy titling, just to trick people looking for the PureFlix movie.

Basically, I want an Atheist/Agnostic version of Asylum, but wholly centered on religious propaganda films.

It's called the Internet.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

MonsieurChoc posted:

The argument is made even more cursory by the film wasting everyone's time with the innumerable terrible subplots.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Beefstew posted:

It's called the Internet.

And the film: Youtube

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

dijon du jour posted:

God's Not Dead!

God's Not Dead 2 is out April 1st (because Psalm 14:1.) so I look forward to seeing a "midnight" Screening of it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

These types of Christians don't care about theologians; the bible can be interpreted by anyone dammit! Also, these types think that Catholics are heretics at best, not even Christian at worst. (Ask Me About Growing Up Liberal Catholic in the Baptist South!)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shaded Spriter posted:

God's Not Dead 2 is out April 1st (because Psalm 14:1.) so I look forward to seeing a "midnight" Screening of it.

Starring Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I mean that's what a lot of episodes of Penn and Teller's Bullshit! was in retrospect.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I randomly saw most of a Tyler Perry's Madea movie on TV and I don't think it's fair to associate him with poo poo like Kirk Cameron and God's Not Dead. Perry's writing had some jokes that got a chuckle out of me and overall it was positive and upbeat popcorn fun. The religious undertones just reflect a pretty culturally religious target demo (African-Americans) but it manages it without being preachy, at least from what I watched.

The blame for God's Not Dead 2 existing ultimately lies with Sherwood Pictures. They produced Facing the Giants and Fireproof, then did a few more in that cookie cutter mold thus proving that there was an audience for that poo poo. You could go back even farther to the original Left Behind movies from the early 2000's. The third LB movie was actually distributed directly to megachurches that had big enough projector screens for its premiere showing. :psyduck:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not that familiar with the Christian demographics in the states. What group exactly is producing these garbage films and hates catholics and protestants in equal measure? Fundamentalists?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"Non-denominational protestants," basically what everybody else calls fundamentalists.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

"Non-denominational protestants," basically what everybody else calls fundamentalists.

Pretty much this.

Fun fact: Fundamentalists got angry at God's Not Dead for admitting the universe was older than 6000 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm not that familiar with the Christian demographics in the states. What group exactly is producing these garbage films and hates catholics and protestants in equal measure? Fundamentalists?
In the US there are groups of people who when asked their denomination will reply "just Christian" or claim no denomination. This is an immediate red flag that tells you they are actually crazy fundies.

• Locked thread