Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Volmarias posted:

And is precisely why large companies actually take this seriously, at least from what I've seen.

So far. It will be interesting to see when we have an established precedence for GDPR infractions. So far in Denmark, the fines haven't come near the maximum. I'm betting a lot of companies will pay lip service and get a sizeable fine reduction for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BonHair posted:

So far. It will be interesting to see when we have an established precedence for GDPR infractions. So far in Denmark, the fines haven't come near the maximum. I'm betting a lot of companies will pay lip service and get a sizeable fine reduction for it.
That's kinda the intent (as originally envisioned) because the EU is a bunch of centrist idiots. The small fish can get away with murder as long as they recant and nominally improve, and there's too many to prosecute effectively. The big fish can't be prosecuted effectively.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

DrDork posted:

Every three-letter government agency uses small armies of contractors, yeah. For applied crypto there might be some specialty shops, but your big names like Deloitte, Leidos, etc., aren't bad places to poke around at, either, if that's the route you want to go. None of them are going to really be "counter-culture," though. DARPA is always doing weird stuff, and from what I've heard has a less "you need to come to the office in a suit" sort of culture, so maybe worth a look.

Yeah, that's kinda the other option. There are plenty of people willing to pay money for THE BLOCKCHAIN, you just have to kinda admit to yourself before going in that there's almost no chance that whatever you're working on will see the light of day or ever actually make an impact anywhere. Just another boondoggle some excited C-suite dude decided they NEEDED to blow some money on to get investors excited or whatever.

The only option I'm really aware of that combines crypto + counterculture would be research: either academic-backed or through some sort of security research firm. In both cases the bar for joining is high.

Resurrecting this thread after I thought of some other ideas-- I'd be interested in working in the privacy/security/cryptography space for something like the Signal foundation. What's a good way to find similar projects with that kind of focus?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
past fad: phishing

new and cool: i'll give you bitcoin to run this malware as admin on your work pc

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I'm working for an MSP/VAR/consulting company at the moment and have seen what appears to be scams from someone posing as Intel offering gift cards/free PCs for installing their Intel integration into our RMM stack which may be tempting enough for folks to just do and not think too much about it?

Frankly I'm surprised there's not more folks doing similar approaches with a legitimateish looking software company web site and a "we'll send you $100 Amazon gift card for trialing our software" pitch and just relying on lazy IT folks to run it as a local admin.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm working for an MSP/VAR/consulting company at the moment and have seen what appears to be scams from someone posing as Intel offering gift cards/free PCs for installing their Intel integration into our RMM stack which may be tempting enough for folks to just do and not think too much about it?

Frankly I'm surprised there's not more folks doing similar approaches with a legitimateish looking software company web site and a "we'll send you $100 Amazon gift card for trialing our software" pitch and just relying on lazy IT folks to run it as a local admin.

I have a few extensions on the chrome store and I get daily emails offering 4-5 digits to add their SDK

Their "SDK" is actually malware that turns end users into a http proxy used for attacks and fraud

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/JacquiHeinrich/status/1429173367643516936

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd
loving RIP this doesn't surpise me at all. those nerds can't even comply with 800-171

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Balsa posted:

loving RIP this doesn't surpise me at all. those nerds can't even comply with 800-171

it's too haaaarrrrddddddddd *opens Thunderbird for pop/imap*

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Thought you all might like this one.

https://twitter.com/j0nh4t/status/1429049506021138437

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Its so perfect that I almost want to cry.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And it isn't even a new concept, getting a command prompt on a "locked down" system and probably also elevated command prompts have been possible with method very similar to this since the 90s.

You would think they would get smarter, but :lol: Microsoft.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i mean razer software is so bad that multiple anticheats already block their drivers from loading and stop the rgb crap because it results in kernel level execution

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the omg cable automates this now

lmso

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

iCloud Private Relay seems like another overdue nail in the coffin of doing SSL inspection on network edge devices. Which is good.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2021/10096/

It's going to be interesting to see what sort of crap all the SMB UTM vendors come up with now to shift their subscriptions.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

iCloud Private Relay seems like another overdue nail in the coffin of doing SSL inspection on network edge devices. Which is good.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2021/10096/

It's going to be interesting to see what sort of crap all the SMB UTM vendors come up with now to shift their subscriptions.

You can just block private relay access.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Every organization that's even remotely risk averse will just blackhole those two domain names on day one regardless of actual impact.

I've been playing this out in my head. The OS provides all the hooks and APIs you'd need to still audit and inspect your corporate user traffic, but it would require a work effort to investigate/source/update your toolstack to send this telemetry and actually make use of it in your SIEM, and it's much easier to just kill two DNS names.

The vendors will probably start to adapt to these APIs so it's not like you're losing all introspection ability, you're just shifting it to on-device than on-network I guess. There's probably risks inherent in that in that you're relying on software to provide the information rather than the actual devices servicing the network flow but I can't really speak to those risks competently.

Suspect all the major vendors will offer something like this eventually so getting ahead of it seems smarter but who knows.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 26, 2021

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Martytoof posted:

Every organization that's even remotely risk averse will just blackhole those two domain names on day one regardless of actual impact.

I've been playing this out in my head. The OS provides all the hooks and APIs you'd need to still audit and inspect your corporate user traffic, but it would require a work effort to investigate/source/update your toolstack to send this telemetry and actually make use of it in your SIEM, and it's much easier to just kill two DNS names.

The vendors will probably start to adapt to these APIs so it's not like you're losing all introspection ability, you're just shifting it to on-device than on-network I guess. There's probably risks inherent in that in that you're relying on software to provide the information rather than the actual devices servicing the network flow but I can't really speak to those risks competently.

Suspect all the major vendors will offer something like this eventually so getting ahead of it seems smarter but who knows.

It's definitely a trend in enterprise software generally (AWS Private Link, Salesforce Express Connect), so seeing something analogous on privacy-focused commercial offerings isn't really a surprise.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lol

https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/25/github_copilot_study/

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

And license-wise, CoPilot will get you into dangerous waters 100% of the time, because Microsoft has figured they can relicense code not written by them into GPL, as the dataset consists of code published on GitHub, which includes a lot of MIT, BSD and ISC licensed code.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I'm sure there will be measures taken to turn it off, but I like the idea it comes with a big scary warning. I've already had people ask how to fix their home Wi-Fi when later versions of iOS detect if you're still using TKIP, so my hope is that Apple telling everybody that the network they are connecting to can see everything that they are doing, regardless of how true that is, starts to shift things a bit. It sort of already has started with the mass move to WFH - what's the point in protecting your 'network perimeter' when the only thing inside that perimeter are some printers and an internet connected coffee machine?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

what's the point in protecting your 'network perimeter' when the only thing inside that perimeter are some printers and an internet connected coffee machine?

I'm not all that secure, to be fair

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I suppose it could be considered good samaritanship to prevent your coffee machine from being added to a DDoS botnet.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I suppose it could be considered good samaritanship to prevent your coffee machine from being added to a DDoS botnet.

Hey, if hackers get in and set your coffee machine to triple-brew mode, that can be a real wake-up call.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
My coffee machine makes the best coffee when denying service to others.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

And license-wise, CoPilot will get you into dangerous waters 100% of the time, because Microsoft has figured they can relicense code not written by them into GPL, as the dataset consists of code published on GitHub, which includes a lot of MIT, BSD and ISC licensed code.

Waiting for the inevitable "IT WASNT ME, IT WAS THE ROBOT WHO STOLE THAT CODE" case.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hey goons. So, about 6 months ago, I posted in here that I was considering a Cybersecurity security bootcamp. Well, I did it! I’ve done well in the class and will be graduating next month and intend to challenge the Security+ exam in the fall.

I’m starting to look for jobs now and I wanted to ask the thread if anyone has any advice for getting that first entry-level position. I’m not coming from an IT role, and the closest I have to any relevant experience was being a Navy intelligence analyst a couple decades ago.

Are recruiters and headhunters a thing?

Please help, I don’t want to go back to being a bartender at Covidavillebees!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

navyjack posted:

the closest I have to any relevant experience was being a Navy intelligence analyst a couple decades ago.

Do you still have your clearance? If so congrats, you're on your way to six figgie heaven if you don't mind working in and around the military industrial complex. Just turn on linkedin and let the headhunters and recruiters come to you.

If not, good luck breaking into cybersec without IT experience and/or a degree in a relevant major from an accredited university. Apply to as many places as possible to as many positions as possible, luckily you're in a boom period of hiring computer touchers, so you'll probably land on your feet in Cybersecurity adjacent if not Cybersec.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

navyjack posted:

Hey goons. So, about 6 months ago, I posted in here that I was considering a Cybersecurity security bootcamp. Well, I did it! I’ve done well in the class and will be graduating next month and intend to challenge the Security+ exam in the fall.

I’m starting to look for jobs now and I wanted to ask the thread if anyone has any advice for getting that first entry-level position. I’m not coming from an IT role, and the closest I have to any relevant experience was being a Navy intelligence analyst a couple decades ago.

Sorry I know you’re looking for advice on getting into an entry level position but I kind of want to explore this because I’m genuinely curious about your situation.

I’m going to ask a really basic question that you might already have covered previously in the thread: What about infosec do you like? What do you see yourself doing in an entry level position? What do you WANT to be doing long term? I don’t know what a cybersecurity bootcamp really covers so I can’t speak to the breadth of your knowledge but as someone who was actively hiring for security positions about two years ago I found that a lot of candidates who were trying to get in the door didn’t really know what they wanted or what their expectations for a career progression in infosec was beyond the immediate “I have a job looking at and responding to alerts” (which IMO is not a good long-term career —gets old VERY fast).

If you’re looking to get into a SOC as an analyst, which I think is the easiest way to get into an entry level “security” position, I think that’s a valid starting place but you should aim to develop your skillset so you can escape that as soon as possible. It’s been a while since I worked in an MSSP or had any dealing with a SOC other than consuming its services, but in my experience SOCs are always hiring and the qualifications are that you have some basic analytical thinking and a pulse. Sometimes just the pulse is sufficient. Outside of recruiters I’d probably try to hunt anyone in your linkedin circle who is a SOC Manager or SOC Director and be upfront — I’m trying to get a foot in the door, am eager to advance my career in infosec and would love an opportunity to bla bla bla. But again, unless for some reason you really LOVE SOC work (I actually worked with a few 5+yr SOC veterans but they had very low aspirations and basically just showed up for a paycheck) you should be planning your next step up. The next step will involve education.

I can personally speak for other pillars of Infosec such as architecture and governance. One of the single biggest thing you can do for yourself in this space is to keep up to date on design patterns etc. Cloud environments are hot money right now and every major provider has a security and architecture education track. AWS Well Architected Framework. Azure Solution Architect. Etc.

Ironically, in an infosec thread, the one I’m least qualified to talk about is pentesting so I guess I’ll leave that to others.

A lot of these depend on a certain level of IT and networking knowledge possibly above and beyond what you learned at school, but it should give you a great start on education.

So I dunno, education education education, and that linkedin thing I said earlier.

Sorry that was very stream of consciousness and I’m pretty sure I didn’t answer any of your questions.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Good luck, infosec has a long and stoic history about gatekeeping and will have leader who will often lock you out of positions because your work history isn't 100% infosec.

I would spend lot of time in figuring out what makes a good infosec resume and specifically get a service to give you help on yours.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

easiest way into infosec is to decide you want to do that while already knowing how to program

i don't know how applicable that is to you though.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

My advice would be to first just get started in IT somewhere. Either as a developer or in an infrastructure role somewhere. Do that for a year or two and just get some experience in IT.

Maybe you're the exception to the rule, but in my experience most people straight out of school/bootcamps/whatever with an InfoSec degree are just so green overall that they cant bring a lot to the table.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I started in a 24x7 monitoring job in a NOC, moved to 2nd level support for a telco self service website, then to scripting and maintaining website monitoring, then a long stretch as application owner and IT's face toward the business line, to now doing Identity and Access Management operations.

That means I sit with the cybersec guys, and could probably do a pivot to that area in a couple of years.

And it's only taken me a decade and a half! :v:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

KozmoNaut posted:

I started in a 24x7 monitoring job in a NOC, moved to 2nd level support for a telco self service website, then to scripting and maintaining website monitoring, then a long stretch as application owner and IT's face toward the business line, to now doing Identity and Access Management operations.

That means I sit with the cybersec guys, and could probably do a pivot to that area in a couple of years.

you don’t need to wait a couple of years

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

navyjack posted:

Best advice I can give you is to social network like a mofo. Like most job openings, if you don't have solid experience than you need to leverage other methods. The most important being know somebody. So chat up people from your bootcamp, instructors, MeetUps, etc... Try to get your foot in the door that way.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah go get that InfoSec money now. You sound ready.

In my case/local market I had to jump through the hoop of getting my CISSP, which is an incredibly dumb hoop, but thats what started getting me InfoSec offers.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

navyjack posted:

Recruiters and headhunters are very much a thing for InfoSec, but maybe not so much for an entry-level InfoSec job.

How open are you to moving? While more and more jobs are getting flexible on location requirements, a ton of them still aren't, so if you are willing to relocate to a tech center city you're much more likely to find someone willing to take you on than if you're insistent on living in the middle of a fly-over state or whatnot.

Having a Sec+ cert is a good start, but if you don't have a techy background to speak of, you are likely to have better luck if you can also show up with some basic scripting/programming experience (Python is highly recommended).

Another option is to chat up the security folks from a company you'd like to work for and see what their hiring practices look for. I work for a hyperscaler and a large chunk of our "entry level" security folks are people from Support who decided they don't want to answer customer questions for the rest of their lives and went out and got a cert or two and/or otherwise got smart on security topics and skills. Something like that might not be a bad option--Support likely has a lower barrier for entry initially, and would help get you more of that "tech background" you mention you lack.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Just keep your head on a swivel and a good sense of humor as an entry level infosec guy, it can be disorienting and frustrating. Welcome to the field, either way.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
So how about Microsoft making Azure CosmosDB instance keys available to third parties via misconfigured Jupyter Notebook containers?

quote:

A series of misconfigurations in the notebook feature opened up a new attack vector we were able to exploit. In short, the notebook container allowed for a privilege escalation into other customer notebooks [...] As a result, an attacker could gain access to customers’ Cosmos DB primary keys and other highly sensitive secrets such as the notebook blob storage access token.

Really bad few weeks for Microsoft here.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Thanks for all the responses and candor, it’s appreciated.

Just to hit on some things that got asked or put out:

Sadly, I don’t have a clearance any longer. They do expire. If someone wants to sponsor me to reup it, I guess I’ll talk about it, but I don’t know if working for the MIC is for me anymore. Cross that bridge when I come to it.

As far as what I’m wanting to do career-wise, I’m not sure. Everything is really fascinating and kinda new. I figured with my background, SOC analyst would be where I would start. I’ve got technical writing/reporting experience so I kinda thought auditing and compliance might be in my future.

I’m in Denver so there doesn’t seem to be a lack of tech jobs around. I’m willing to move pretty much anywhere. I don’t have anything keeping me here other than liking the place.

I’m working on my coding skills but they are currently rudimentary at best.

CommieGIR posted:

Just keep your head on a swivel and a good sense of humor as an entry level infosec guy, it can be disorienting and frustrating. Welcome to the field, either way.

The head on a swivel and the sense of humor I can do! Thanks for the welcome. I really think if I can get my foot in the door, I’ll be ok. I’m a hard worker, and (I think) I’m the guy people like to work with and have me working for. Years as a barman really helped to tighten up and polish the ol’ soft skills.

Wish me luck, I guess!