Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TACD posted:

I guess I'm behind the times, but since when did Uber start renting cars to its drivers? I thought drivers bringing their own cars was their whole deal and fairly central to their already-tenuous "we're not a taxi company" gambit?

A while ago, though generally they're not the people actually doing the leasing/renting, they cut deals with another company and then set up an even more predatory relationship with the drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Remember the subprime mortgage crisis? Uber wants to do that, but with auto loans.

https://qz.com/1013882/ubers-rental-and-lease-programs-with-new-york-car-dealers-push-drivers-toward-shady-subprime-contracts/

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
car ownership in singapore also comes with punitive-level taxes often at or above the actual cost of the car

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
want a prius for 130k sgd (about 100k usd)? prolly at the shittiest trim?

http://toyota.com.sg/en/showroom/new-models/prius

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Makes sense given how little land they have. Although it would probably make more sense to have extremely high costs for, say, a permit to use the car (or maybe just have congestion fees), rather than on the cost of the car itself.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
bottom trim lambo aventador costs 1.5 mil sgd there (1.2 mil usd about)

bottom trim lambo aventador in us costs $400k

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_listing.php?MOD=lamborghini

think that's the highest ratio i've found. doesn't prevent there from being a ridiculous amount of supercars over there

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TACD posted:

I guess I'm behind the times, but since when did Uber start renting cars to its drivers? I thought drivers bringing their own cars was their whole deal and fairly central to their already-tenuous "we're not a taxi company" gambit?

In Singapore it's ridiculously expensive to get a permit to put a vehicle on the road. There is no way anyone who can afford a Certificate of Entitlement would be driving for Uber.

You have to bid on them and they expire every 10 years. Also, the annual registration fee is at least S$20k (just under $15k).

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Why doesn't the HYPERLOOP use a ramjet to gulp air instead of using a low pressure tube?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Dmitri-9 posted:

Why doesn't the HYPERLOOP use a ramjet to gulp air instead of using a low pressure tube?

Once you have a magnetic rail system and a vacuum tube, there are multiple ways that you could provide propulsion. For one, you could have a rail gun like system where you accelerate to a high speed using magnetic force and the vacuum plus the maglev rail would mean you go a very long way before you slow down. You could also have the train itself generating propulsion. I don't know why they're so set on the vacuum tube propulsion which is a pretty ancient solution, technology wise.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cicero posted:

Makes sense given how little land they have. Although it would probably make more sense to have extremely high costs for, say, a permit to use the car (or maybe just have congestion fees), rather than on the cost of the car itself.

this seems like extremely fine hair splitting. what is the difference between a high fee on a vehicle use permit vs a high fee on a vehicle itself?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boner confessor posted:

this seems like extremely fine hair splitting. what is the difference between a high fee on a vehicle use permit vs a high fee on a vehicle itself?

In this particular example they have both.

And the difference is that the vehicle use permit costs what it costs. The vehicle registration is based on the value of the vehicle.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
gas is also $8sgd/gallon ($2sgd/liter, $1.50usd/liter, $6/gallon), just like in korea or japan

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Lote posted:

Once you have a magnetic rail system and a vacuum tube, there are multiple ways that you could provide propulsion. For one, you could have a rail gun like system where you accelerate to a high speed using magnetic force and the vacuum plus the maglev rail would mean you go a very long way before you slow down. You could also have the train itself generating propulsion. I don't know why they're so set on the vacuum tube propulsion which is a pretty ancient solution, technology wise.

a e s t h e t i c s

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lote posted:

I don't know why they're so set on the vacuum tube propulsion which is a pretty ancient solution, technology wise.

the vacuum tube is necessary to cripple the entire scheme by greatly increasing the cost per mile of track to no real benefit while also reducing the train's maximum size thus passenger capacity and also necessitating weird gadgetry to facilitate boarding and egress of the vehicle

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

boner confessor posted:

If the point is to disincentivize driving due to space concerns then the penalty scaling with the price of the car doesn't really make much sense; a fancy sports car takes up the same amount of space as a boring sedan. It would make more sense to charge, say, each day you actually drive it in the city, so that someone who drives twice as much pays twice as much.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
sounds like a progressive tax on luxuries to me

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Motronic posted:

In Singapore it's ridiculously expensive to get a permit to put a vehicle on the road. There is no way anyone who can afford a Certificate of Entitlement would be driving for Uber.

You have to bid on them and they expire every 10 years. Also, the annual registration fee is at least S$20k (just under $15k).

Also, every car need to be 5 years or less of age plus car tax.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

boner confessor posted:

the vacuum tube is necessary to cripple the entire scheme by greatly increasing the cost per mile of track to no real benefit while also reducing the train's maximum size thus passenger capacity and also necessitating weird gadgetry to facilitate boarding and egress of the vehicle

The main reason to make the hyperloop dumb and overcomplicated instead of just proposing to mass produce maglev trains is probably getting idiots to go "ooooh a vacuum tube bullet transport system for people, please take my money" even though it's unlikely it would actually be more economical than a maglev train.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blowfish posted:

The main reason to make the hyperloop dumb and overcomplicated instead of just proposing to mass produce maglev trains is probably getting idiots to go "ooooh a vacuum tube bullet transport system for people, please take my money" even though it's unlikely it would actually be more economical than a maglev train.

I think we can straight up say it will be less economical than a maglev train, due to the fact that the vacuum and partial-vaccuum design plans means the whole catastrophic collapse of the entire system at the first sign of trouble.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Cicero posted:

If the point is to disincentivize driving due to space concerns then the penalty scaling with the price of the car doesn't really make much sense; a fancy sports car takes up the same amount of space as a boring sedan. It would make more sense to charge, say, each day you actually drive it in the city, so that someone who drives twice as much pays twice as much.

At that price point, it absolutely disincentivizes driving. I can't remember if Singapore does this, but Hong Kong auctions the permits. There's a fixed number.

The extremely high taxes/fees make the relative cost of luxury cars far less than in the US, so you see a comparatively high number of really nice card driving around.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You literally can only get the rich to not hate pubic transport by playing to the 'oooh, shiny' factor. Which shouldn't be a surprise since that's Tesla's whole deal.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
Korean, Japanese, Singaporean, New Yorker upper middle class af people all use the subway

You need density, lots thereof

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Inescapable Duck posted:

You literally can only get the rich to not hate pubic transport by playing to the 'oooh, shiny' factor.

This isn't true at all, but ok.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Does anyone actually like public transportation? I think everyone looks at as basically a necessary evil, regardless of how much money they have in their bank account.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Does anyone actually like public transportation? I think everyone looks at as basically a necessary evil, regardless of how much money they have in their bank account.

I like being able to sit back and read on my commute. Which is possible most of the time on public transport.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I loving love it, because I can be extremely drunk or tired or just play on my phone during my commute*.

*My commute is one block from my house is the train station, when I get off the train the train station exits directly into the building I work in.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I am a distracted driver, because my thoughts are always more interesting (to me) than what's going on on the road. You don't want me driving, and I don't want me driving.

My parents are 86 and we're about to have the dreaded "taking away the car keys" conversation. This will effectively trap them in their supported-living community, because the small city they live in has laughable public transit that doesn't even pass their nursing home. Good public transit would mean that getting off the road didn't mean isolating them.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I like being able to sit back and read on my commute. Which is possible most of the time on public transport.

Yeah this. Podcasts are all well and good but being able to read / play with my widget is even better.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

lol tech workers are so hosed

https://twitter.com/liberalism_txt/status/893264471912742912

They're just dying to stop paying decent salaries.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
And here I am paying a mortgage like an idiot...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Prison is the new military.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Public transportation rules because Im a poo poo driver and can take the train to avoid the Schyukill Deathway

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wait so I should get arrested so I can afford to pay off my debts? :thunk:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It depends; public transportation, done right, is pretty god damned amazing. I for one would just love to be able to do away with maintaining a car and paying car insurance. It would make me very happy if I could take a bus, a train, or a subway to work instead of having to drive. I could read for that extra time instead of having to drive. I could get more walking exercise in.

Worst case scenario is it takes me an hour to get to work if I drive. A typical bus ride is 90 minutes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Much like unions, worker's rights and healthcare, public transport is one of those things that the rest of the civilised world takes for granted as an aspect of a functioning country, that Americans have been carefully taught from birth to fear and reject for being Communism.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

Much like unions, worker's rights and healthcare, public transport is one of those things that the rest of the civilised world takes for granted as an aspect of a functioning country, that Americans have been carefully taught from birth to fear and reject for being Communism.

america had good public transport before 1950, but then we made a bet on driving cars everywhere and it turns out that sucks

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

boner confessor posted:

america had good public transport before 1950, but then we made a bet on driving cars everywhere and it turns out that sucks

america had good public transport and then people with cars started living places without public transport.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

That is a very US centered opinion, but US is built on car transportation in a way that is massively different from other countries.
Public transportation is great when it works. I used public transportation daily for going back and forth to my job in a different country and in less than one hour one way trip. It was more comfortable, as fast as a car and much cheaper.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I’m sure it’s entirely a coincidence that the massive shift to a suburban car-based lifestyle among the white middle class happened around the same time as desegregation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Everybody pretends like they'll read War and Peace while riding the bus but from observation, you're lucky if they read Trump's latest tweet masterpieces, most people just stare in the distance and avoid making eye contact. And if you do try to read something, you'll find that it's a pretty distracting environment that can make concentrating on the text quite difficult.