Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Blazing Zero posted:

yeah i was pleasantly surprised by this when it happened. it isnt just another nintendo gimmick this time

The coolest thing about it, besides the feeling of the wave moving past you, is after a few rooms you could tell how close the wave was getting by feel alone and could make choices on far to move based on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

dragon enthusiast posted:

idk, the time you put into setting up combo rushes or b2bs is time not spent harassing the puyo player

t-spins setups are the meat of skilled Tetris play anyways

All my knowledge predates advanced techniques like t-spins. :( Last innovation I remember was up for hard-drop.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Man, Puyo Puyo Tetris is kinda bullshit. It feels like the Puyo player can set up combos and the Tetris player doesn't stand a chance. By the time you've set up a couple of 4-line clears, you've been hit with like ten garbage rows and you can't recover.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Scratch-O posted:

Man, Puyo Puyo Tetris is kinda bullshit. It feels like the Puyo player can set up combos and the Tetris player doesn't stand a chance. By the time you've set up a couple of 4-line clears, you've been hit with like ten garbage rows and you can't recover.

This is what I'm saying. I think the tetris player needs to play differently against a puyo player, more chains/b2bs to prevent poo poo from stacking up on them.

So there's t-spins, z-spins, and what else?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 13, 2017

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Picked up a physical copy of BoI because carts are neat.

Thanks for the recommendations goon! :cheers:

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

DC Murderverse posted:

Pikmin and Paper Mario are too low.

All I want is a portable Thousand Year Door.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Dugong posted:

hey lets be Switch pals when I get it

Edit: Is it possible to play the Switch without ever hooking it up to a TV? I may have to go back into hospital and want to double check there isn't some requirement like that.

Entirely possible. I've played on my TV maybe twice? It's purely an output method.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dugong posted:

All I want is a portable Thousand Year Door.

The gamecube has a handle...

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Does the pro controller have HD rumble?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stan Taylor posted:

Does the pro controller have HD rumble?

Yup. Gyro, IR and amiibo too.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Deviant posted:

This is what I'm saying. I think the tetris player needs to play differently against a puyo player, more chains/b2bs to prevent poo poo from stacking up on them.

So there's t-spins, z-spins, and what else?

You can perform twists with every piece; one of the modes in the full game (Big Bang) eventually becomes alllllll about twists
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/124986773

The only one that gets you an in-game notification and a damage bonus is the T-spin, though.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

You can perform twists with every piece; one of the modes in the full game (Big Bang) eventually becomes alllllll about twists

The only one that gets you an in-game notification and a damage bonus is the T-spin, though.

Hm. I will study this.

*watches video*
:stare:

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yup. Gyro, IR and amiibo too.

Where's the IR? Underneath the charge plug?

Jesus christ, all I wanted to do was have some good ol' Tetris fun. When did all these new spins come into play?

Scratch-O fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 13, 2017

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is there going to be like.. 'standard' Grand Master solo play style Tetris in Puyo Puyo Tetris?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just realised Tetris with the Switch screen rotated 90 degrees in portable mode would be incredible.

They could sell a little stand kit and I would buy that poo poo instantly.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Just realised Tetris with the Switch screen rotated 90 degrees in portable mode would be incredible.

They could sell a little stand kit and I would buy that poo poo instantly.

Pinball would work great in that orientation

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
You guys need to stop encouraging Nintendo to just resell old games, they're already doing it.

You're begging for VC, you want a vertical stand for Tetris, Street Fighter 2 is a major release. The Wii U had all new games on it and nobody bought it. If you keep this up they're going to cash in and we'll all play Tetris forever.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
NINTENDO SELL ME THE SUPER MARIO GAME

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Is there going to be like.. 'standard' Grand Master solo play style Tetris in Puyo Puyo Tetris?

TGM exists outside of the bounds of The Tetris Company so no

Classic Gameboy endurance/marathon is in this game, though, along with the other modern solo modes like 40Line

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Nolgthorn posted:

If you keep this up they're going to cash in and we'll all play Tetris forever.

You mean that wasn't the plan already?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I feel like the Japanese demo had the ability to play more than one round. I was playing best two of three in that one, but the US one only lets me play one round.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

This, but lacking any potential ironic snark.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cojawfee posted:

I feel like the Japanese demo had the ability to play more than one round. I was playing best two of three in that one, but the US one only lets me play one round.

I think you're right. Still happy to have it in English though. The voices are bad but they are painfully bad in Japanese.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Feenix posted:

Brother, in this case I was 100% serious

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

katkillad2 posted:

If there isn't a Switch Monster Hunter announcement at E3 I'm going to be pretty pissed.

They have to be working on Monster Hunter (and Pokemon) for the Switch. Putting those two series on the console means demand for it would stay high for the next year or more solely on the strength of those titles. All they have to do is hint at either, or both, while giving details to get people hyped on Mario and a couple other titles to ensure the Switch stays hard to find for the rest of the year.

The Bloop posted:

I play Zelda with the Pro controller 99% of the time but I am looking forward to playing ARMS with joycon

I tried playing BotW in portable mode after having used a pro controller and holy poo poo the joycons are so badly laid out. :sigh:

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
unironic super mario desire crew

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

HyperPuma posted:

unironic super mario desire crew

Especially Super Mario World. :colbert:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hello my Switch is on charge because I played 6 victory laps in Isaac

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'll take random indy games or remakes (Blaster Master) over NES/SNES stuff I've already played to death and really don't need to again. People really want to play SMB3 yet again?

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

LethalGeek posted:

I'll take random indy games or remakes (Blaster Master) over NES/SNES stuff I've already played to death and really don't need to again. People really want to play SMB3 yet again?

Sure do. Would pay $5 or more for it right now on my Switch.

Give me it all. Remakes, indies, AAA.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just make wireless console themed controllers and sell those.

I would pay good money for official Nintendo NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube wireless controllers I could also pair to my PC.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Infinitum posted:

Hello my Switch is on charge because I played 6 victory laps in Isaac

I stopped doing victory laps when I realized you transform into The Lost after the third or fourth one. I haven't yet come across a build THAT broken necessary to clear an entire run without getting hit once.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Everybody buy Puyo Puyo Tetris so that it sells well and we get Tetris Attack Tetris.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

enojy posted:

I stopped doing victory laps when I realized you transform into The Lost after the third or fourth one. I haven't yet come across a build THAT broken necessary to clear an entire run without getting hit once.

Brimstone + that garbage item that keeps doubling the flies you have + double charge + quick charge

I had like 40 luck, 80 base damage, plus pretty much all the transformations by my 4th round. Smelted a bunch of the good trinkets as well.
Every room would just spawn bags and I had a bumbo and double items and you'd just be swamped with items.
Wish the donation machine was infinite because I would have easily surpassed 2000+ coins

Started losing the fun stuff on the 5th run through.
6 run I lose Brimestone and I've got like 7 base damage now and I've stopped caring.

Should have written the seed code down :v:

Have an Epicac hard-mode seed
N3GY
8YYL

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Btw Tetris Attack lives on as Puzzle League on the DS at least. I was able to get some freebie version of it as part of the old Nintendo rewards system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puzzle_League_(series)

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 14, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

LethalGeek posted:

To have it on my portable and play it on the train? You betcha

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Everybody buy Puyo Puyo Tetris so that it sells well and we get Tetris Attack Tetris.

i probably wont because its too hard, but i like the demo for playing a match here and there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I will buy it in physical form so I can get some keychains

• Locked thread