Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dont know if racetechs site is messed up or what, but all it lists are springs that are softer than the stock .44kg/mm fork springs.

Yeah I'd give them a call before making any purchasing decisions. You can always vary up to .10kg/mm depending on your riding style. I tend to be pretty light on the front end but I know some guys who run much stiffer springs in the front then me while weighing the same due to how they like to use the brakes where they position themselves on the bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
They're typically of different length, recommending different weight oil, and possibly recommended only with use of emulators. It's not an apples to apples comparison to the stock springs - that's where the owners manual or a call up to a dealership will help out.

For sure I'd put a call or e-mail over to them before ordering. They're very responsive and helpful in my experience, and even if you're reasonably sure you're getting all the right stuff a little peace of mind never hurts.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How do you guys clean your bikes? Nastyness so thick that soap and water isn't gonna help. :v:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Simple green. Concentrated if needed. It can affect aluminum parts though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah Simple Green is good stuff. Takes brake dust right off my wheels dried mud crust off anything else. It can harm bare aluminum but if it's coated it'll be fine.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I actually just mix some up 50/50 with water usually in a spray bottle, splash my bike with water, spray on a layer of simple green and let it sit for a bit and then rinse it down. It takes care of bugs and stuff.

For chain grease, etc on swingarms I use concentrated stuff, let it sit, then wipe it down later. Should take care of everything pretty easily.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Glass cleaner does a surprisingly good job on road grime, I use it on my wheels and other metal bits that get gunked.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

How do you guys clean your bikes? Nastyness so thick that soap and water isn't gonna help. :v:

WD40 assisted by a cloth or soft brush if required. Obviously not on your wheels though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Gonna get some simple green tomorrow, thanks guys :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 9, 2012

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Saga posted:

WD40 assisted by a cloth or soft brush if required. Obviously not on your wheels though.

Why not on wheels? I've sprayed WD on a cloth and wiped chain lube off my rear wheel before no problem.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I think he meant tires, not wheels. Wheels are fine to clean with WD-40 or other oil-based solvents. Just stay away from the tires -- besides the oily nature of the compound, I've heard that WD-40, being petrochemical-based, can weaken rubber if you let it sit there too long. So be careful about where it gets to. (I do the same thing you do and use a moistened rag to clean off chain lube and such rather than spraying it on directly.)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Because WD40 on your tyres is all kinds of fun times.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Kerosene is a great solvent to wipe off grease from your wheels that you can get at most gas stations / camping sections of stores. It'll take chain grease and wax off no problem and evaporates away pretty fast.

It's also great to use to wipe down your chain, it'll take the outside layer of grime off quickly.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

aventari posted:

Why not on wheels? I've sprayed WD on a cloth and wiped chain lube off my rear wheel before no problem.

Yeah, like my man said, because inevitably someone will spray it direct onto their wheels, it runs onto the tire and they end up in a tree. No reason not to use it on a paper towel for lifting dirt off rims.

I have used simple green and managed to damage paint or decals on my gsx-r with it (it was 14 years ago, I don't recall which) by, I assume, not diluting sufficiently. Hence I use wd40, which hasn't ever done that to me and also does the whole water dispersing and penetrating thing.

While we're on the subject of crap on wheels, I want to plug my favourite ever chain lubricating product, courtesy of my local farming supplies store: Total Chainlub (no 'e'). According to the msds, it is a 'blend of highly refined mineral oil with ... additives dissolved in a hydrocarbon solvent. Sprays on with foaming action for'penetration but spreads and settles like a liquid so no tide mark. On a chain it's basically colourless and non-tacky. Old lube (lub?) washes off easily with normal bike shampoo and a cloth. The can lasts ages, is cheap and has a built in flex straw for easy squizzing. . It's non-toxic. Being basically colourless, inoffensive spray oil with a bit of stickines that makes it almost like a light grease (also helps it fling less than random motor or gear oil), you can use it in a pinch for household lubricating tasks.

This has replaced wax for me as a year round lube choice and my chain stays lovely and goldy looking even after a week's winter commuting.

E:

Saga fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 10, 2012

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Well, this is excellent. I'm flying out of town tonight and it turns out my Pelican pannier cases are almost exactly 1" smaller than the carry-on allowance in each dimension. Now the question is do I take right or left?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Saga posted:

Yeah, like my man said, because inevitably someone will spray it direct onto their wheels, it runs onto the tire and they end up in a tree. No reason not to use it on a paper towel for lifting dirt off rims.

I have used simple green and managed to damage paint or decals on my gsx-r with it (it was 14 years ago, I don't recall which) by, I assume, not diluting sufficiently. Hence I use wd40, which hasn't ever done that to me and also does the whole water dispersing and penetrating thing.

While we're on the subject of crap on wheels, I want to plug my favourite ever chain lubricating product, courtesy of my local farming supplies store: Total Chainlub (no 'e'). According to the msds, it is a 'blend of highly refined mineral oil with ... additives dissolved in a hydrocarbon solvent. Sprays on with foaming action for'penetration but spreads and settles like a liquid so no tide mark. On a chain it's basically colourless and non-tacky. Old lube (lub?) washes off easily with normal bike shampoo and a cloth. The can lasts ages, is cheap and has a built in flex straw for easy squizzing. . It's non-toxic. Being basically colourless, inoffensive spray oil with a bit of stickines that makes it almost like a light grease (also helps it fling less than random motor or gear oil), you can use it in a pinch for household lubricating tasks.

This has replaced wax for me as a year round lube choice and my chain stays lovely and goldy looking even after a week's winter commuting.

E:

Interesting...looks like there's a distributer of Total Lubricants in the Bay with a shop in Oakland. Will have to check that out. Thanks!

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
http://www.amazon.com/Laboratories-LPS-Industrial-Strength-Lubricant/dp/B000SKZKC0

That's my preference. LPS #2. It smells good, leaves the chain looking clean, and doesn't fling to much.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Can anyone recommend a smallish compressor for keeping tires at a good pressure?

Sadly, I no longer have a garage and a gently caress-off huge air system. People seem to like this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

That'll work just fine, I have one that's very similar and it will inflate your tires fairly quickly. You can even use a bike pump if you're really feeling thrifty - it's actually not bad if you're just upping it a few PSI. That being said, just go with that guy and you'll be all set.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I use a T handle bike pump in the garage, it puts in about 1/2 psi a pump. I just bought a mini slime pump for road trips, like 20 bucks at the store and seems to do the job.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Pissingintowind posted:

Can anyone recommend a smallish compressor for keeping tires at a good pressure?

Sadly, I no longer have a garage and a gently caress-off huge air system. People seem to like this guy: http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40001-Motorcycle-Tire-Inflator/dp/B000ET9SB4

Great choice. You can remove the housing to save space and fit some tire plugs and a t-handle plug tool in there (esp. if you shave one part of the T).

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Interesting...looks like there's a distributer of Total Lubricants in the Bay with a shop in Oakland. Will have to check that out. Thanks!

Also at your fashionable CA biker gatherings, you can say 'My chainlube? Oh, you won't have heard of it'

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's pronounced "lub", you prole.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lub for nubs

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

I think that's Vaseline.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I use an 80/20 mix of Dapper Dan and Kansas Whiskey on my chain. Gives it that warm edge.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I only run vintage leather chains pulled from turn-of-the-century steam cars. Enjoy your constant metal clacking noise :smugbert:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I only run vintage leather chains pulled from turn-of-the-century steam cars. Enjoy your constant metal clacking noise :smugbert:

...says Clutchpuck and other Buell riders.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

Also at your fashionable CA biker gatherings, you can say 'My chainlube? Oh, you won't have heard of it'

Overnight lub from Germany. :smug:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
My chain lube is dry rust etched with acid rain.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

KARMA! posted:

Did you make it yourself or buy it off etsy?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KARMA! posted:

I was doing that before it was cool.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

...says Clutchpuck and other Buell riders.

Look at you scrubs worrying about chain lube. My belt is 100% maintenance fr... hold on, a rock got in there and broke it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Deeters posted:

Look at you scrubs worrying about chain lube. My belt is 100% maintenance fr... hold on, a rock got in there and broke it.

This happened to a customer of mine recently.
whatever it was got caught in the guard that runs under the belt and chewed the outer edge of the rear sprocket and belt all to hell.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This happened to a customer of mine recently.
whatever it was got caught in the guard that runs under the belt and chewed the outer edge of the rear sprocket and belt all to hell.

Interesting. Most of the time I hear about something getting in the belt is when someone takes the guards off.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Autoblog, of all places, says Buell is working on establishing a dealer network to sell "more affordable" bikes!

Autoblog posted:

Erik Buell Racing has secured financing from GE Capital to build a dealership network to sell its wares, according to the Milwaukee Wisconsin Journal Sentinel. Last we heard, EBR had rustled up $20 million from foreign investors in order to begin manufacturing a new line of affordable motorcycles. That's a change of tack from from the company's $40,000 EBR 1190RS. So far, the manufacturer has lined up around 30 dealers, some of which were formerly Buell Motorcycle Company outlets. Right now, EBR says the company isn't large enough to support stand alone dealers, so we can expect to see the manufacturer's hardware sold alongside competitive, high-end machinery for the time being.

According to this link in the article "more affordable" means $20k.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I am thinking 20k means in 4-5 years I'll be able to pick up a used one. I hope the AX is cool, and I hope my ol' XB lasts another few years.

And yeah I cross my fingers for the belt every time I take a trip...I wonder of the new models will run a chain?

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 12, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Deeters posted:

Interesting. Most of the time I hear about something getting in the belt is when someone takes the guards off.
Whatever it was popped up in the guard here:

for some reason that guard is closed on the bottom but open on the backside (facing the wheel) so it's very easy for something to bounce up in there and STAY. Whatever bounced up in there this time rolled back to the belt drive and it was all downhill from there.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Autoblog, of all places, says Buell is working on establishing a dealer network to sell "more affordable" bikes!

According to this link in the article "more affordable" means $20k.

I'll be sure to enjoy Erik Buell going broke / getting kicked on his rear end for yet another long series of years because he has to be a unique little snowflake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

JP Money posted:

I'll be sure to enjoy Erik Buell going broke / getting kicked on his rear end for yet another long series of years because he has to be a unique little snowflake.

While there are certainly things to criticize Buell for, it's not Erik Buell's fault that he didn't have John Bloor's construction millions to bankroll his (second) company. I assume that without the ability to be a competitive producer at the lower end of the market, he's going for the same demographic as Ducati, MV, Bimota, Norton and assorted boutique custom chopper brands. So $20k isn't wholly outlandish.