Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
On the reading thing, my kid loved books, had a phase where she would memorize books and read them out loud to us from memory. I had high hopes that we could teach her to read early, but she didn't show interest in learning from us and we didn't push. She's now in first grade, is progressing quickly, and it is great watching her bring home more challenging books. I very much agree with the sentiment that if they are interested in learning to read from you, by all means teach them early, but don't be discouraged if they aren't ready or interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
For what it’s worth I’ve heard the argument that teaching kids stuff early before they learn it in school just means you have a bored kid who doesn’t like school because it doesn’t teach them things. Probably vastly depends on your ability to provide additional schooling or activity and I don’t think I’d actively prevent my kid from learning if they were pushing for it.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Levitate posted:

For what it’s worth I’ve heard the argument that teaching kids stuff early before they learn it in school just means you have a bored kid who doesn’t like school because it doesn’t teach them things. Probably vastly depends on your ability to provide additional schooling or activity and I don’t think I’d actively prevent my kid from learning if they were pushing for it.

Yeah this is in the back of my mind as well.

Thanks everybody for the input. I made some small adjustments to the frequency I bring up studying and read a bit more at bedtime.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
A good teacher, especially primary school teacher, should be able to give extra material to better kids. I know I spent most of my time doing extra stuff when I was younger and only started getting bored in high school, but that’s mostly because I was dumb and wanted to be cool instead of smart.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

poo poo, the mention of this makes me remember the Goon Next Generation is growing up and soon we'll have the Teenager Wrangling megathread, College cleans out them and us alike, Ask me about being an Empty Nester and Grandparenting megathreads.

But on the more relevant points, does anyone know the likelihood of passing down specific education/learning disabilities (dyslexia in my case) to my kid? Not a lot I can do about it other than know about it and ensure help is in place from day one.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Is it normal for babies to all of a sudden want to sleep way... way... more?

Our 9mo has been a great sleeper at night. He wakes up once ~5-6am for a feeding and then falls asleep again until ~7-8

Yesterday he slept until 12pm, which is frankly unbelievable. We kept a normalish day schedule and put him down at his usual time at night, and now today it's 11am and he's still sleeping

obviously this is a good thing for me, but the suddenness is worrying me

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

When my kids did that around that age it always was proceeded by a sickness of some sort. Their body coping with an infection

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Heners_UK posted:

But on the more relevant points, does anyone know the likelihood of passing down specific education/learning disabilities (dyslexia in my case) to my kid? Not a lot I can do about it other than know about it and ensure help is in place from day one.

Dyslexia is definitely heritable. My cousin married a man with it and all four of their children have it to some degree. All four of them are boys too so I'm not sure if gender would make any difference.

If you live in a city finding help shouldn't be too hard. But a tutor is going to be helpful both for the kid and parents. But you likely already have experience, though that doesn't necessarily make it easy trying to be the explainer.

Good luck!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

a friendly penguin posted:

Dyslexia is definitely heritable.

Fun fact: The king of Sweden has dyslexia, and so do two out of his three children. In his youth, before this was public knowledge, he was perceived as a bit of a bumbling fool after tripping up in his speeches quite often. It's hard to speak in public when you're not able to read off your notes fluently...

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I learned from my ada training at work that the font comic sans is one of the fonts that's easier to read if you are dyslexic.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Comic Sans: the handicapped ramp of fonts

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Months ago I complained about our son never sleeping and waking up many times during the night, and also needing to be rocked to sleep for like 45 minutes.

Now, he doesn't want to be rocked to sleep, he just wants to be put in his crib so he can find the most comfortable position (usually on his side or stomach near the back of the crib for some reason) and put himself to sleep. It's bittersweet because him putting himself to sleep now (noticed this has been happening since he's been moving around and sleeping in other positions than his back recently) is a really big deal and he's slept through the night on many occasions the past couple weeks, but it also means the baby snuggle days are waning and I don't want them to!

Anyway, just complaining, thanks for listening, cya

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

life is killing me posted:

Months ago I complained about our son never sleeping and waking up many times during the night, and also needing to be rocked to sleep for like 45 minutes.

Now, he doesn't want to be rocked to sleep, he just wants to be put in his crib so he can find the most comfortable position (usually on his side or stomach near the back of the crib for some reason) and put himself to sleep. It's bittersweet because him putting himself to sleep now (noticed this has been happening since he's been moving around and sleeping in other positions than his back recently) is a really big deal and he's slept through the night on many occasions the past couple weeks, but it also means the baby snuggle days are waning and I don't want them to!

Anyway, just complaining, thanks for listening, cya

I totally get this feeling. My daughter is around 20 months now and sometimes when I ask if I can hug her she tells me "no, Daddy" or "move, Daddy" which kills me. It's wonderful she's so expressive and can voice her wants but man I miss those snuggles.

On the other hand when she hugs me of her own volition it's pretty special so I guess you get the good with the bad.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
That’s so parenty. We’re always hating on something, but it’s always bittersweet when they grow older and stop doing it.

Last week I rocked my 3 years old for a full hour for his nap and I was borderline crying cause it was the first time in a solid year. Go back 2 years and I couldn’t wait for the non stop rocking to stop

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

While part of me will be sad when my youngest is done with bottles, my bank account will be happy. 7 more months!

Edit: 4 1/2 more years of daycare!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My sons 2.5 months old and so confusing!!!

We had a couple of good discoveries: we were doing 4 ounce bottles but he was cranky around 6-7 pm, so I upped it to a 5 oz bottle at night and that stopped the fussiness and he would go 5-6 hours without food or a diaper change-it was great!

Then that has quickly stopped, and we’re doing 5 ounce bottles now every 4-5 hours, but at night the last few nights he will only go down for 1-3 hours before grunting and getting fussy, so that’s incredibly hard to deal with because lack of sleep is coming back.

He’s just about done with his second leap, so maybe that’s it? I dunno. He still prefers to sleep on us instead of his bassinet in our room. And he prefers his bassinet in our room (while we’re in our bed trying to sleep), to his crib in his own room by himself. We have another white noise machine coming today for his room, so hopefully he can start sleeping in his crib at night and we’ll stop being woken up by grunts.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nwin posted:

We had a couple of good discoveries: we were doing 4 ounce bottles but he was cranky around 6-7 pm, so I upped it to a 5 oz bottle at night and that stopped the fussiness and he would go 5-6 hours without food or a diaper change-it was great!

Then that has quickly stopped, and we’re doing 5 ounce bottles now every 4-5 hours, but at night the last few nights he will only go down for 1-3 hours before grunting and getting fussy, so that’s incredibly hard to deal with because lack of sleep is coming back.

He’s just about done with his second leap, so maybe that’s it? I dunno. He still prefers to sleep on us instead of his bassinet in our room. And he prefers his bassinet in our room (while we’re in our bed trying to sleep), to his crib in his own room by himself. We have another white noise machine coming today for his room, so hopefully he can start sleeping in his crib at night and we’ll stop being woken up by grunts.

Could it be he's going through a growth spurt? My son has slept at his best and eaten more when going through a growth spurt, because all that growing means his body needs more fuel and rest/recuperation. It also might mean he'd be more cranky.

And FWIW we didn't FULLY let our son sleep all night in his room until around 6mo, before then we slowly transitioned him in there and so we'd start putting him in there for daytime naps but still in our room at night. Seriously, don't be in a rush to get him in his room at this stage, yeah you may not be getting sleep now but until he acclimates to his room (or even after that) you'll still be sleeping little more than you are now with him in your room.

Lack of sleep was hard even for me, a guy who used to be able to sleep through mortars dropping but could operate on 4 hours of sleep a day. I'm older than I was then and get tired sooner, but overall when our son was born up until a couple weeks ago I was sleeping around 3-4 hours a night and having a really hard time with it despite previously being used to long days and little sleep. With that said, though I don't have to tell you this, it's more about baby's sleep at this point than Mom and Dad's sleep. If baby isn't sleeping well, you aren't either, and baby needs sleep any way he or she can get it, up to and including on Mom or Dad if baby sleeps better that way. Yeah it sucks, but it DOES get better--our son spontaneously moves around his crib, puts himself to sleep, and just started sleeping on his stomach and on his side out of nowhere and we didn't even do anything. But for food, our doc said we could feed him baby food around 4 months, or start intro to it at least.

Overall man, that sounds like ours with the sleep and eating. Best piece of advice I know regarding this is to not get too comfy with good sleep nights because that early, for us, good sleep was an anomaly and not the norm so yeah, I wouldn't expect consistently better sleep as a result of his sleep just yet, just be grateful for it when he does sleep better and enjoy that you feel like a million bucks comparatively when he's only waking up 2-3 times a night.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

nwin posted:

Sleep regression is a hell of a thing and 2.5 months is about that time. If it makes you feel any better it's temporary. Our son had the exact same thing at that age and it lasted for a few days before we went back to normal. We transitioned him from our room to his own at 4 months but still let him sleep in the bassinet. Now that he's got a routine down he sleeps in his own room without too much of a problem.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

Yup babies are so darn unpredictable. As a Type A, schedule-oriented person, I hate it. Right now our routine for our 2.5mo is feed every 3-4 hours during the day, followed by 75-90 minutes of awake time, try to put him down in bassinet for nap (where he’ll sleep anywhere from 0 minutes to 3 hours, usually the former) then wear him to sleep until the next feed.

At night we wear him to sleep and then transfer him to our bed, where he’ll do a solid 6-9 hour stretch. Maybe try cosleeping if you’re comfortable? It can’t be any more dangerous than holding him and dozing off. We plan to start trying to put him down in his crib in his room but I anticipate it won’t really happen until he’s old enough to sleep train. Until then we’re in survival mode and doing whatever it takes, even if that means he’s smothered against my boob half the night.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sleep regression sucks and yeah just when you think your child is becoming somewhat predictable, they hit a new leap and become unpredictable.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah, it could possibly be a growth spurt but sleep regression seems likely too-I didn't think that was a thing until 4 months-gently caress me.

He never calms down after bath time-instead he seems to like baths but he's wide awake after them, so we're trying to get some kind of routine down, but it's definitely tough. It's good to hear that others don't worry too much about rushing him into his own room. He'll take a random nap during the day in his crib but other than that it's pretty rough.

Like some of you guys, I'm a Type-A, in the military, and am used to being on and enforcing a strict schedule, so this whole parenting thing is throwing me for a loving loop. Luckily my wife goes with the flow and is very patient and adaptable, because I'd be hosed without her. I don't know how single parents do this.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Babies are going to baby and that means poo poo changes all the time.

Don't stress yourself out trying to make sense of it because it won't make sense. Babies are adorable balls of chaos and change.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Yeah we are possibly setting a rod up for our own backs but we are pretty much going "baby gonna do what baby gonna do" re:scheduling so when hes tired he sleeps, when hes hungry we feed him and when he's got a dirty nappy we change it. He has settled himself into a familiar pattern without us really trying to specifically structure anything although we expect he'll change stuff up as he has growth spurts and gets older and that's fine too. So long as he seems happy in himself and keeps growing well we are happy.

E: that said, sample size of one but I suspect we probably have a pretty easy going baby so theres an element of speaking from a position of privilege here.

Tamarillo fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 12, 2019

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

life is killing me posted:

Sleep regression sucks and yeah just when you think your child is becoming somewhat predictable, they hit a new leap and become unpredictable.

Every time until they move out of the house.

And if you have more kids, each one will be unpredictable in different ways.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Goddam West -> East jet lag is infinitely worse with a baby.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My youngest turns 2 today and I was feeling a little baby crazy missing the cuddles and cooing and general helplessness, until she had a fit about putting on her own pants then refused to be strapped into her carseat - stiff back, locked legs, screaming in terror. I guess she wanted to climb into the carseat herself instead of me putting her in, and the tantrum made me so grateful she will be my last toddler!

But then my oldest (8) mentioned he was feeling lonely at school, and I suddenly realized that while I was longing for the baby days my oldest is quickly approaching pre-teen years and HOOBOY did those years suck for me! And I realized it would be best to focus a bit more on him to keep an eye out for any developing bad habits and helping with embarrassing things (general hygiene stuff) and the social skills he'll need to hone to navigate the hell that is middle school and high school. So I gave him some advice on how to make friends, reassured him that he is loved and has friends even if it doesn't feel like it sometimes, and my husband and I are more aware to watch for his emotional health. He's generally a happy kid, but we want to be able to help him out just in case it's something more.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there anywhere that has information about high-quality kids' shows? Bonus points of its organized by age group. My daughter no longer wants to watch the same two shows over and over, but there's so much on Netflix that it's hard to trawl through.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Get the PBS kids app for whatever your streaming device is.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Just a friendly reminder to never have twins guys. 15 months in, still not getting any sleep.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

KingColliwog posted:

Just a friendly reminder to never have twins guys. 15 months in, still not getting any sleep.

Oof, that blows. We sleep trained our twins at 4 months with great success and they've been great sleepers since then (they turned 2 in October.) What have you tried? Hope it gets better soon.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

E-Money posted:

Oof, that blows. We sleep trained our twins at 4 months with great success and they've been great sleepers since then (they turned 2 in October.) What have you tried? Hope it gets better soon.

They sleep great... When they are both in good shape, which never happens. We also have a 3 years old in the house so that just makes sure that if both are ok he won't be.

There's always one teething, or sick or something.

Also we can't really do much sleep training (we're not really in favor of 5-10-15 anyway) since they are both in the same room and the walls are cardboard and the oldest is in the room next to them so sleep training just means that they are all no sleeping.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

hooah posted:

Is there anywhere that has information about high-quality kids' shows? Bonus points of its organized by age group. My daughter no longer wants to watch the same two shows over and over, but there's so much on Netflix that it's hard to trawl through.

How old? The thread can provide recommendations no doubt.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My six year old is currently into watching King of the Hill with me.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

hooah posted:

Common Sense Media

https://www.commonsensemedia.org

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

KingColliwog posted:

They sleep great... When they are both in good shape, which never happens. We also have a 3 years old in the house so that just makes sure that if both are ok he won't be.

There's always one teething, or sick or something.

Also we can't really do much sleep training (we're not really in favor of 5-10-15 anyway) since they are both in the same room and the walls are cardboard and the oldest is in the room next to them so sleep training just means that they are all no sleeping.

Sorry to hear that. We did do the 5,10,15 thing and it took maybe 3 nights of sleeping on the couch to get it done. We shared a room with the twins in a one bedroom at the time and it was worth the minimal investment for us. But you gotta do what you're comfortable with I guess. Do you have white noise machines? We have one in their room at a pretty good volume and it helps them sleep lets us be normal people at night.

Sending nothing but condolences for the never ending sick kid cycle. I can only imagine it's so much worse with three.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

sebzilla posted:

How old? The thread can provide recommendations no doubt.

3.5 years. She liked Puffin Rock and Llama Llama for a while, and we recently found Octonauts which seems fine.

Thanks for the recommendation for Common Sense Media. I think the site came up in a couple of searches for specific shows.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Tumbleleaf is currently popular with my 4 year old. I dig the music

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My kid liked Peep and the Big Wide World on PBS and the Gruffalo (and related) on netflix.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

hooah posted:

3.5 years. She liked Puffin Rock and Llama Llama for a while, and we recently found Octonauts which seems fine.

Thanks for the recommendation for Common Sense Media. I think the site came up in a couple of searches for specific shows.

My daughter's the same age. Daniel Tiger, Hey Duggee, Clangers, Bing and Sarah & Duck are all big favourites. Some Netflix, some iPlayer.

e: We've also been watching the old Moomins cartoon which she adores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

hooah posted:

Sarah and Duck, Earth to Luna, Cleo and Cuquin, Mouk for Netflix. Peg + Cat, Daniel Tiger, Sesame Street for PBS