Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

just lmao if you ever step in us gulf coast water

For real. That's why we take a quarterly trip to the Maldives or Bora Bora. Galveston is 30 minutes away, but is icky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

zoux posted:

Lol Castro

https://twitter.com/GabMoBanks/status/1085928597033046016

Reminder that the complete wipeout of the Harris Co. GOP judicial roster doesn't happen without an extremely energized D electorate in Texas. But how were they energized....

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1085925981150474241

Weigel said the other day that a Republican border congressman on the news talking about how a wall is stupid is more valuable than a 236th Democratic rep and I think that's about right

iirc hurd won by like 400 votes in the end so he's probably real shook

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I made the drive from Austin to South Padre and back for the first time over Christmas. Padre is way smaller and way neater than I was expecting, drove up along the beach after the road ends for about 25 miles and there was nobody. If I had a remote tech job or something, I could totally live there. It's only three hours to Monterrey and the mountains just beyond it, too.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

i say swears online posted:

I made the drive from Austin to South Padre and back for the first time over Christmas. Padre is way smaller and way neater than I was expecting, drove up along the beach after the road ends for about 25 miles and there was nobody. If I had a remote tech job or something, I could totally live there. It's only three hours to Monterrey and the mountains just beyond it, too.

Come back during Texas week :unsmigghh:

Driving to Monterrey is tricky though, most people wouldn't recommend it unless you're doing it with someone you know has done it or you yourself have done it many many times before. Tales of vehicles that have American plates being targeted on highways etc etc. That and dealing with the fluid insanity that is interior Mexico traffic.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 18, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Targeted for what

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I got a job today, so I can start paying DSA dues once I start getting paychecks. :yayclod:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jiro posted:

Come back during Texas week :unsmigghh:

Driving to Monterrey is tricky though, most people wouldn't recommend it unless you're doing it with someone you know has done it or you yourself have done it many many times before. Tales of vehicles that have American plates being targeted on highways etc etc. That and dealing with the fluid insanity that is interior Mexico traffic.

yeah usually when i go to saltillo i'll take a bus to eagle pass, walk across the bridge and a friend picks me up. last time i flew from austin to monterrey, rented a car and spent ten hours on little mountain roads. so i've never driven the border area solo, especially tamaulipas.

the traffic owns, though. i'm so much more at home there than the rigidity of US traffic. i drove a lot in nigeria and that was fun as poo poo

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Targeted for what

Usually targeted stereotypically because Americans = money.

Edit: :stare: Holy poo poo I love that video and the old man flipping his poo poo. THAT'S BULLSHIT, THAT. IS BULLSHIT!!!!!! :argh:

I'm looking forward to flying for free on AeroMexico soon. Always wanted to visit the DF.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 18, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

:chloe:

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1085980480078598146

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

For real. That's why we take a quarterly trip to the Maldives or Bora Bora. Galveston is 30 minutes away, but is icky.

Don't go to the Maldives. It's beautiful, yes, but it's a horrible place if you're not a tourist. And if you're a tourist, you're doing more harm there than good, ultimately. I've been on a scientific expedition, and that's the only reason I'd go again. Pick another place for your vacations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/alexsamuelsx5/status/1086318601823506432?s=21

Patrick stacked the property tax committee with a bunch of crazy people and also Hinojosa, who I don’t know anything about

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Patrick stacked the property tax committee with a bunch of crazy people and also Hinojosa, who I don’t know anything about

He's been vice chair of finance for like ever so he's FiScAlLy ReSpOnSiBlE

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Drone Jett posted:

It’s fine in South Padre and...ok...in Corpus. Florida’s Gulf coast all seems pretty nice.

Corpus is filled with syringes and runoff from the refineries that rape the city, :cmon:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Oh also the only moderate republican left (Seliger) is chairing agriculture and that’s it

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Haha, Hinojosa, are you kidding me? Kiss any meaningful PT reform chances goodbye, that dude tried to force through a loving massive healthcare district that was twice rejected by voters in Hidalgo county, and after that the appraisals went through the loving roof. I heard they're going to try it again as a medical school district.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Oh also the only moderate republican left (Seliger) is chairing agriculture and that’s it

Yeah dunno about stripping the guy who is going to be the final vote under 3/5s of his Higher Ed committee chairmanship, seems short sighted. He must've told Patrick vouchers are DOA

Here's Bonnen laying out a road map for how his side is gonna handle ed/prop tax reform
https://twitter.com/JulieChang1/status/1086327339443662848

https://twitter.com/AlexSamuelsx5/status/1086332713148137472

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/1086333622003613698

This is so different from last session man, I can't believe all we had to do is make Patrick win by only 5% instead of 20

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 18, 2019

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

ReidRansom posted:

Don't go to the Maldives. It's beautiful, yes, but it's a horrible place if you're not a tourist. And if you're a tourist, you're doing more harm there than good, ultimately. I've been on a scientific expedition, and that's the only reason I'd go again. Pick another place for your vacations.

I haven't been to either - so we good.

On a federal level - Lizzie Fletcher was put on the Transportation Committee. CHOO CHOO AFTON OAKS.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

Haha, Hinojosa, are you kidding me? Kiss any meaningful PT reform chances goodbye, that dude tried to force through a loving massive healthcare district that was twice rejected by voters in Hidalgo county, and after that the appraisals went through the loving roof. I heard they're going to try it again as a medical school district.

Yeah, just funneling more money somehow to Doctor's Hospital at Renaissance, and the Cantu family down here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know gently caress all about Valley politics besides it’s it’s own dynamic

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

I know gently caress all about Valley politics besides it’s it’s own dynamic

It's your usual small town poo poo, only with Hispanic last names most of the time. Nepotism, hand shake agreements, oh and this!

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/12/29/how-south-texas-bureaucrat-became-multimillionaire-amid-rush-build-bor/

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Border political corruption is one of the factors holding back texas going blue tbh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lotta Border dems are reaaaal conservative too

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Hispanics, especially older ones from the border area are in general pretty conservative when it comes to social and familial issues. Really if it weren't for the richer whites suppressing the established poorer Hispanic populations in almost every way, you would have had a lot more openly conservative Republican Hispanics. A lot of it ties into a heavy influence from the Catholic church, and historical communities built around that. But basically Valley could have been red a long rear end time ago, if white Republicans weren't so tyrannically racist against us.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
all you fancy motherfuckers wont go swimming in galveston

sad

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Jiro posted:

Hispanics, especially older ones from the border area are in general pretty conservative when it comes to social and familial issues. Really if it weren't for the richer whites suppressing the established poorer Hispanic populations in almost every way, you would have had a lot more openly conservative Republican Hispanics. A lot of it ties into a heavy influence from the Catholic church, and historical communities built around that. But basically Valley could have been red a long rear end time ago, if white Republicans weren't so tyrannically racist against us.

I can already see how this is going to play out. Texas will go blue in a decade and the mainstream GOP will pivot, drop the outright racism(or bring it below the surface) and pickup the valley. It will be the ultimate irony since the TDP keeps grasping at the thin air trying to get the valley on board right now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jiro posted:

I know two of the three border D's in the senate are prolife, and then Uresti's old seat belongs to a Republican Hispanic. Cuellar's from Laredo.

That's kind of why the national Democratic committees are baffled that the substantial Hispanic population in Texas hasn't risen up to throw the GOP out of power yet, it's because they are looking at national Hispanic voting trends, where in Texas they generally go 50/50

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

I know two of the three border D's in the senate are prolife, and then Uresti's old seat belongs to a Republican Hispanic. Cuellar's from Laredo.

That's kind of why the national Democratic committees are baffled that the substantial Hispanic population in Texas hasn't risen up to throw the GOP out of power yet, it's because they are looking at national Hispanic voting trends, where in Texas they generally go 50/50

Honestly in my opinion the only reason border Hispanics are at all "Democrats" stems from just giving a massive gently caress YOU to what used to be the old southern white ruling class that kept them in the fields for so long and tried to keep Spanish suppressed in public schools up until the late 60's early 70's.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think that's right. I don't really know how Democrats change that though beyond just hoping the younger generations are less conservative and more energized. It's my understanding that the political machines down there as well as familial political connnections pretty much stifle any outsider candidates though

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

all you fancy motherfuckers wont go swimming in galveston

sad

At the risk of being a tiny bit pretentious, only trash people with a few extra chromosomes and parents who are cousins would swim in galveston.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

At the risk of being a tiny bit pretentious, only trash people with a few extra chromosomes and parents who are cousins would swim in galveston.

I’ll do it, I just have the appropriate contempt for the action.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

I think that's right. I don't really know how Democrats change that though beyond just hoping the younger generations are less conservative and more energized. It's my understanding that the political machines down there as well as familial political connnections pretty much stifle any outsider candidates though

Yep, politiqueros or politiqueras. A system that has pretty much outlived it's purpose and is now a bloated system. And a lot of the younger gen down here tend to trend towards more socially progressive and liberal causes, it just gets more murky due to strong sense of familial ties.

https://www.npr.org/2015/07/07/413463879/in-rio-grande-valley-some-campaign-workers-are-paid-to-harvest-votes

It was a system championed back in the day in order to lift up poor people and make their vote count. Especially when the Valley was still super rural and most Hispanics were literal dirt poor.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 19, 2019

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Hay Jiro while your here I've been meaning to be more politically active in the valley lately do you know any groups that meet in the McAllen/Edinburg area?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

dbzfandiego posted:

Hay Jiro while your here I've been meaning to be more politically active in the valley lately do you know any groups that meet in the McAllen/Edinburg area?

I actually wouldn't really know that much in that area. I'm mainly a student of the history here. I know Cine El Rey is hosting an MLK March Monday, that would probably be a good idea to start. LUPE does a lot of good work down here too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

LUPE is cool

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/emmaplatoff/status/1086419117324808193?s=21

Looks like they might have to change the threshold to bring up bills in the Senate again because I doubt Seliger wants to give them the last vote they need.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao there's my boy Dan. i thought he died

he's such a loving dick lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/emmaplatoff/status/1086419117324808193?s=21

Looks like they might have to change the threshold to bring up bills in the Senate again because I doubt Seliger wants to give them the last vote they need.

It also doesn't make any sense, I get he's punishing him for his voucher votes last session but now, when you actually can't afford to lose a single republican, you piss off a critical vote and blow all your leverage. Like, leave him his chairmanship or the seat on finance, but you take both, what are you going to threaten him with? He's already beaten primary challenges from the right, twice! And in more favorable voting environments for Empower Texas set.

They've already voted on the rules, I dunno what the threshold is to reconsider them.

https://twitter.com/BrettBuechel/status/1087003307787386880

Yes that famous and reknowned Texas victory The Alamo. Remember The Alamo! That We Won I Mean!

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 20, 2019

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
remember buck travis's famous words: "i shall never surrender or retreat. i call on you in the name of liberty to actually just chill out. we're good. we have a wall."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Texas History Knowers are extremely logged in today
https://twitter.com/mikefinger/status/1087061379838812161

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I feel like 90% of people that use the phrases “remember the Alamo” or “come and take it” have no idea of the historical context of those statements