Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I don't think the game stood up very well during beta. Everything seemed to catch fire all the time and there was very little reason, other than pride, to playing anything other than a cruiser. Battleship armor seems to count for very little and it is only their inflated hitpool that makes them stand out. There is more nuance to the game than it seems but I think it's most left before they could find it.

I don't really understand why they won't allow battleships to dominate smaller ships while it's perfectly fine for a KV-1 to piss on everyone in one of those games where you're the only heavy tank and no one on the enemy team has a gun larger than 45mm. If battleships were actually immune from small caliber fire then cruisers would actually have to do their intended job and defend against destroyers, aircraft and other cruisers. People would soon learn that if they see a battleship it's time to get out of there and call in your own teams battleships. Much like there are tanks you know you can't handle in WoT, so you go a different way or communicate with team mates. If WoT was like WoW then your T-34 would load its 76mm shitgun with HE and set that kingtiger (assume the MM is having a bad day) hiding in a bush on fire a couple of times while driving around it in circles laughing. Also the Kingtigers gun would take 5 minutes to reload and is so inaccurate it can fire behind itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Part of the problem is that the game is very slow and it doesn't feel like you need much skill beyond aiming, which can be replaced with a mod. If WoT had the RNG battleship guns have it would be unplayable.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Tahirovic posted:

I think the playerbase is shrinking because the game is too boring and grindy.

And unbalanced in a not fun way.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Gunder posted:

I started playing, along with a couple of friends in the last few weeks. I think the game is way too grindy though. It costs me 9k to go from a Wyoming into a Langley, but over 22k to move from the Langley to a Bogue? gently caress that. It just feels like you hit a brick wall at tier IV, and ships start demanding WAY more time investment.
Why do you feel compelled to move to the next ships so fast? If you are having fun in a Langley then continue having fun in a Langley and treat the idea of getting the next ship as a nifty bonus. If you aren't having fun with a ship class, then don't play that ship class. If you don't enjoy any early tier ship class at all then why are you playing Warships? Why would you think things magically get better if only you could get past the apparently unfun early tiers?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I can see how people will get bored with this game pretty quickly. I find it fun, mostly because I'm a maritime history nerd, but unlike CBT, I have no desire to grind the Pepsicola, New Orleans, and Baltimore; essentially the same ship all the way to Tier X, especially without the CBT economy. I find it more enjoyable to bang out a few x1.5's / x2's and hen log off. Part of me does like the slower feel, it helps me make decisions to either press on or GTFO whereas in tanks, I felt like one could be annihilated in seconds if one got spotted early.

I think WG should lower the XP / credit requirements for the higher tier ships somewhat. In my opinion, a decent, but casual player paying for premium should be able to get a couple of Tier X's in a few months of play.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

wukkar posted:

Why do you feel compelled to move to the next ships so fast? If you are having fun in a Langley then continue having fun in a Langley and treat the idea of getting the next ship as a nifty bonus. If you aren't having fun with a ship class, then don't play that ship class. If you don't enjoy any early tier ship class at all then why are you playing Warships? Why would you think things magically get better if only you could get past the apparently unfun early tiers?

It's not that I'm not having any fun, it's that the curve feels too steep. Half the fun of the game for me is unlocking new ships, and right now, that takes too long and feels frustrating.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Somewhat unbalanced ships/roles, sometimes annoying MM, sometimes bullshit game mechanics, way too much xp/repair/credit requirements for everything, slow and boring game flow, not much skill requirement, etc.

Also unlike WoT there's no reason for players to get close and 'spot' nor use angling to bounce shells (because you get hosed by HE shells or incoming torpedoes) so you get destroyers sitting at max torp range dumping torps every 1.x minutes, cruisers sitting at max range (15~17 km) spamming HE, battleships sitting at max range (21~26 km) 'sniping' and hoping for citadel hits.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

I think what was said earlier is key... battleships need to be more like heavy tanks and actually force a different type of engagement. Cruisers right now are good against everything, instead of being ineffective against at least battleships.

The gun inaccuracy makes it so that battleships are frustrating to play, combined with the long reload times. It's too bad there isn't an accuracy circle like there is in WoT. You would see big ships stopping to fire, which would make them actually really vulnerable to torps/etc., but the big guns would be more accurate if the BB stopped and thus there could be a valuable tradeoff taking place.

As it is, there really are no tradeoff-type decisions. You just move at flank speed around the map, and learn to aim. If your on-target DPS is higher than your opponent's, you will probably win.

That being said, I've only been playing for a week, so I'm still having fun for now... I don't see that lasting, however, unless WG starts paying close attention to the balance/features in WoWS.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Accuracy circles make no sense, at least not the way you described them. Ships pretty much never stopped in battle by choice.

Also cruisers aren't that good against battleships that are above tier 4 (except the Cleveland, which is in desperate need of a nerf).

What they really need to do is normalize the hidden fire reduction stat at the tier ten (maximum) level.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

wdarkk posted:

What they really need to do is normalize the hidden fire reduction stat at the tier ten (maximum) level.

I don't have experience with this stat yet... what is it?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The other way they could consider changing fires is to do it a bit more like War Thunder, where fire relies on a shot that can cause fires hitting a flammable part of your target. So instead of every HE bounce having a chance of fire like now, HE would require hitting vulnerable parts of the superstructure to cause flameouts.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Outside of very low tier ships and Clevelands, cruisers aren't good against battleships. Even pubbies in higher tier battleships can reliably win against cruisers, and a better player makes more of a difference in a battleship than a cruiser.
People like to confuse annoying with good. Setting battleships on fire is annoying, but doesn't make up for citadel hits. Even with 8" cruiser guns that can't penetrate the citadel, about half the battleships in the game will take more damage over time from AP than HE.
Having a Fuso shoot HE at you and set three fires is super annoying, but that doesn't make it good.

Stalkerr posted:

Tier 10 ships are straight up less likely to catch fire.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Stalkerr posted:

Basically the "chance to start fires" stat of any HE shell is reduced by 0.5*tier of victim. This is multiplicative, so it's unnoticeable at low tiers but is a flat 50% at high tier.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I remember a time I went up against a Fuso at close range in a Cleveland and switched to AP. I couldn't get a Citadel in, but a single volley to a less armored part did like 7000 damage and I was able to damage race him to death since he couldn't find my mystery box.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I actually really enjoy this game. 100x more than WoT. I've re-installed WoT a few times now and I just can't get over how bad it is , or remember why the gently caress I spent so much money on it :/

I play WoWs pretty much every day. It's my go to game right now when nothing else seems to interest me. I think I find catharsis in the high arc shells of US ships or something :shobon:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

wukkar posted:

More variety and progress = more fun. Noone likes the feeling of being stuck on a single stage for far too long. The xp and credit gain feels too slow without premium, and I fear it's losing the game some players.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The biggest thing I absolutely hate hate hate about this game is that you can't easily shuffle what ships you're playing. In War Thunder, if I feel like flying a biplane I can go back and slot mine in really quick. If I feel like, say, going back to the Clemson for the sweet sweet double 102mm turrets I have to sell a ship or buy a slot and retrain a captain and ugh.

It hurts the game's variety a lot.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

I remember a time I went up against a Fuso at close range in a Cleveland and switched to AP. I couldn't get a Citadel in, but a single volley to a less armored part did like 7000 damage and I was able to damage race him to death since he couldn't find my mystery box.

If you want to citadel a Cleveland: aim for the stern citadel. It's easier to hit in my experience.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

If you want to citadel a Cleveland: aim for the stern citadel. It's easier to hit in my experience.

I meant he couldn't hit mine, and so I was able to AP his BB to death. Even small caliber AP works really well if you don't shoot the belt armor directly.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Night10194 posted:

The biggest thing I absolutely hate hate hate about this game is that you can't easily shuffle what ships you're playing. In War Thunder, if I feel like flying a biplane I can go back and slot mine in really quick. If I feel like, say, going back to the Clemson for the sweet sweet double 102mm turrets I have to sell a ship or buy a slot and retrain a captain and ugh.

It hurts the game's variety a lot.

Why are you selling ships?!?!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Stanley Pain posted:

Why are you selling ships?!?!

Because gently caress giving Wargaming money for more port slots. I'm not spending a dime on this game and sometimes I want to play something lower tier or go back to an old favorite ship.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

James Garfield posted:

Outside of very low tier ships and Clevelands, cruisers aren't good against battleships.

So you're saying that, in a massively grindy game, the only wildly unbalanced part is the first 6 tiers. I wonder why the population isn't growing?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

NTRabbit posted:

So you're saying that, in a massively grindy game, the only wildly unbalanced part is the first 6 tiers. I wonder why the population isn't growing?

You are even worse at reading than at boats
(and the three or four cruisers total that are good against battleships still aren't "horribly unbalanced")

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 5, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

James Garfield posted:

You are even worse at reading than at boats

You didn't say the massively grindy bit no, but everyone else has, because the game very much is. 6 tiers where carriers blow incredibly hard, most destroyers need to get within spotting range to fire torpedoes that reach the target and your results vary wildly between no hits and 15 hits with nothing in between, battleships are either slow and short ranged or long ranged but terribly inaccurate, and massively overpowered cruisers can out shoot and out dps everything on the water, and outdodge everything except destroyers. Might be contributing to the lack of people continuing on after a week, no?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 5, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Night10194 posted:

Because gently caress giving Wargaming money for more port slots. I'm not spending a dime on this game and sometimes I want to play something lower tier or go back to an old favorite ship.

Well then you don't get to complain about having to do x,y,z to get back to playing something you liked. Another thought would be to play @ the tiers you enjoy. WoT was/us exactly the same as this. Tier 5 and Tier8 were the best, everything else sucked a fatty.

I pretty much play BBs @ 6 - > 8, cruisers at 5 - >7, and dropped CV/DD play completely.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

James Garfield posted:

Outside of very low tier ships and Clevelands, cruisers aren't good against battleships. Even pubbies in higher tier battleships can reliably win against cruisers, and a better player makes more of a difference in a battleship than a cruiser.
People like to confuse annoying with good. Setting battleships on fire is annoying, but doesn't make up for citadel hits. Even with 8" cruiser guns that can't penetrate the citadel, about half the battleships in the game will take more damage over time from AP than HE.
Having a Fuso shoot HE at you and set three fires is super annoying, but that doesn't make it good.

Tier 10 ships are straight up less likely to catch fire.

...Actually, if you can't put those fires out in a reasonable span of time, several stacks of fires can do the same amount of damage as several citadel hits on a battleship. I've seen ships burn for 20-30k+ if they end up with multiple fires just after using their repair party. It REALLY needs to either stop being percentage based, have different sized of fires based on what size gun set it, and/or just reduce the maximum number of fires that can be set. And because of how RNG they are, you can easily have one game where you don't get lit once, and another where a loving destroyer is lighting you every other shot.

While good players have overall more of an impact in a battleship, a good cruiser player can do significant amounts of damage even to battleships. I can and have killed multiple battleships in a single game in my Myoko, simply by staying at medium range and never giving them a good angle. And ten 8" guns put out a significant amount of damage regardless, so even if I do take a lucky hit or end up broadside to one I'm still reliably doing 6-7k per salvo to battleships with HE, even discount module damage and fires, and thus generally leaving a BB mauled. I can do that or slightly more with AP too, but I'm risking bounces in that case, so that's more if I happen to have it loaded and am just taking an opportunistic shot while going about cruiser hunting.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Probably the best thing to do with fire is make it require sustained fire. That alone would be great, rather than set it twice and forget it fires. Yes it would require rework of damage control crews but it would be worth it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

You didn't say the massively grindy bit no, but everyone else has, because the game very much is. 6 tiers where carriers blow incredibly hard, most destroyers need to get within spotting range to fire torpedoes that reach the target and your results vary wildly between no hits and 15 hits with nothing in between, battleships are either slow and short ranged or long ranged but terribly inaccurate, and massively overpowered cruisers can out shoot and out dps everything on the water, and outdodge everything except destroyers. Might be contributing to the lack of people continuing on after a week, no?

I know it's boats player SOP to invent statistics to prove one's point but in tiers 1-6 there are two non premium cruisers with unusually high win rates and one of them is a tier 1. If you relax the standards for "unusually high win rates" to "higher than Kawachi" then four of twelve tier 1-6 cruisers meet it.

Lord Koth posted:

...Actually, if you can't put those fires out in a reasonable span of time, several stacks of fires can do the same amount of damage as several citadel hits on a battleship. I've seen ships burn for 20-30k+ if they end up with multiple fires just after using their repair party. It REALLY needs to either stop being percentage based, have different sized of fires based on what size gun set it, and/or just reduce the maximum number of fires that can be set. And because of how RNG they are, you can easily have one game where you don't get lit once, and another where a loving destroyer is lighting you every other shot.

While good players have overall more of an impact in a battleship, a good cruiser player can do significant amounts of damage even to battleships. I can and have killed multiple battleships in a single game in my Myoko, simply by staying at medium range and never giving them a good angle. And ten 8" guns put out a significant amount of damage regardless, so even if I do take a lucky hit or end up broadside to one I'm still reliably doing 6-7k per salvo to battleships with HE, even discount module damage and fires, and thus generally leaving a BB mauled. I can do that or slightly more with AP too, but I'm risking bounces in that case, so that's more if I happen to have it loaded and am just taking an opportunistic shot while going about cruiser hunting.
Fire RNG and "on fire" being a binary thing are dumb, but the overall damage from cruisers is basically fine (Japanese cruisers - US tier 7-9 are possibly the weakest line in the game).
Myoko is one of the few cruisers that keep pace with battleship performance; it does not reflect cruisers in general.

HE fires are demonstrably less effective at dealing damage than battleship gun AP, I don't know why there are so many people claiming otherwise in the face of every imaginable statistic.

xthetenth posted:

Probably the best thing to do with fire is make it require sustained fire. That alone would be great, rather than set it twice and forget it fires. Yes it would require rework of damage control crews but it would be worth it.
Yeah I don't know why they thought they should treat fires that way. Even in tanks repair and firefighting were separate, treating fire as a kind of module damage in boats makes even less sense.
It's pretty dumb that one destroyer shell can set a whole Yamato superstructure on fire, and no amount of further shooting will make the fire any worse.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 5, 2015

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
:fuckoff: don't you touch my Cleveland

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

The credit grind got to me. I dont want to play 2-3 rounds in a Murmansk just so I can afford a single round in the Montana. Especially when I still need credits to upgrade other ships. I feel like maybe they should have tried to get a third tree in sooner. I cant remember did WOT launch with the US line? I know it had the USSR and Germany but I cant remember if the US was in at launch or came shortly after.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

DurosKlav posted:

The credit grind got to me. I dont want to play 2-3 rounds in a Murmansk just so I can afford a single round in the Montana. Especially when I still need credits to upgrade other ships. I feel like maybe they should have tried to get a third tree in sooner. I cant remember did WOT launch with the US line? I know it had the USSR and Germany but I cant remember if the US was in at launch or came shortly after.

They launched with the US. US, USSR and Germany all had a single heavy line to 10 and a single medium line to 9, albeit a couple alternative 2-4 or so paths, and an artillery line to 8, but only Germany and the USSR had a TD line, both to 9.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 5, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I currently have about 7m credit and only 30k xp away from Iowa, but I need 15.5m for just Iowa and maybe 8.5m more for upgrades. :smithicide: I could sell NC, NO and maybe Cleveland but I don't know if it's worth getting Iowa due to increased repair and upgrade cost. I feel that the economy is worse off than WoT for some reason.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I bought the $35 russian ship package when they announced them. Played like 3-4 hrs after OB and couldn't bring myself to care.

It's world of tanks, but somehow less compelling and with less decisions to make. Also the grind is awful and there's not enough ship variety - but even if there was, just grinding Team Deathmach style maps seems to be done for me.

I need more than "put both teams on a map and go, shoot or cap circles" after 6000+ tanks games. Just changing the vehicle to ships isn't enough to freshen that formula.

Felt really grindy and boring.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Existing account codes, Aurora + 3 days premium + 500k credits, NA only
It doesn't require registration, I don't know if there's a limit.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

James Garfield posted:

Existing account codes, Aurora + 3 days premium + 500k credits, NA only
It doesn't require registration, I don't know if there's a limit.

Free stuff is always good. Thanks

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

How is the Aurora? Better/worse than the St Louis and its "gently caress you" armor scheme?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

wdarkk posted:

How is the Aurora? Better/worse than the St Louis and its "gently caress you" armor scheme?

It's a st. louis multiplied by the inverse of the russian overpoweredness coefficient.

It takes a bunch more damage but can still fart out shells.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Answer to free port slot is always yes.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

woo... free stuff! I didn't know you could add those codes to existing accounts. :toot:

Oh, and I got called a hacker for the first time ("reporting drake for gun mod, which is illegal") because I got top score in a Chester in a mostly-Tier III game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Man how poo poo at boats do you have to be to think someone needs the aimbot mod to get consistent hits in tier 2 & 3.

Thanks for the free boat code by the way.