Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Comte please get us Vernon Roche romance DLC next thank you

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ugato posted:

That and the innkeeper, her nose and face bloody from repeatedly being smashed against the table - as she was reaching for a knife - is the one that recoils in horror after I stop the lady from killing her and defend myself by killing people who want to kill me. Then continues to call me murder in Novigrad. gently caress you lady. Next time I let you get your skull caved in slowly.

But they were just some good ol' Temerian boys! Cut down in their prime! MURDERER!

She is a total rear end in a top hat. Maybe I'll just let her get hosed up next playthrough.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I liked how she tries to incite a mob against you but nobody actually cares, they're just mad that some rabble is ruining Priscilla's performance.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

Are other people finding blacksmiths in general really buggy? Most that I come across are noninteractive unless I meditate for an hour first, but for a couple smith that's not a guaranteed fix. Some smiths won't even appear in their designated spot during the day hours unless I rest.

They're busy blacksmithing! Jesus can't a man practice his trade without some gross nerd monster slayer bugging him for some ridiculously dangerous and probably illegal crossbow bolts?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aw, the Wolf School stuff is medium armor? I'm pretty married to light armor thanks to Cat School Techniques and it's tough to give up an extra 20% damage on my fast attacks even if the Wolf School gear looks great.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

moot the hopple posted:

Are other people finding blacksmiths in general really buggy? Most that I come across are noninteractive unless I meditate for an hour first, but for a couple smith that's not a guaranteed fix. Some smiths won't even appear in their designated spot during the day hours unless I rest.

only 2 bugged merchants i know are the smith in the square in novigrad who will not show up without meditating, and the herbalist in the velen refugee camp abandoned site. The herbalist works the first time, and then after that i can interact with him but never go to the store menu.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Honestly, none of the generic armor school talents are probably better than any individual five point talent you could put in that slot. Its just a question of the getting the points to do it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Woozy posted:

Honestly, none of the generic armor school talents are probably better than any individual five point talent you could put in that slot. Its just a question of the getting the points to do it.

That's true. I guess the other thing is that the Mastercrafted Feline armor stacks up so much attack power all on its own that I can't imagine wearing anything else.

The Wolf swords are pretty sweet, though.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
mastercrafted wolf armour looks great, witcher 2 style jacket and herb pouch, just what i wanted.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

30 hours in and already at that part? You must have rushed the main story like nothing else.

I did most of the important side quest but little to no contracts or general exploration, so yes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I completed the Practicum in Advanced Alchemy quest yesterday and now I am so poor holy poo poo. I'd been not giving a poo poo about money for so long that I didn't realize how much it would cost me to buy the recipes and craft superior potions and bombs.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Still just gently caress you forever if you're not playing Death March wearing a generic Harlequin romance linen shirt.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Relin posted:

So irt the ending of the Witcher, is that a vision of the past or the future? NotAbigail implies skullheads are descendants and Alvin shows Geralt a frozen Vizima, BUT the book entry on skullheads say that they are long extinct monsters. So my thinking is he got whipped in to the past, then created the area in his mind to try to convince Geralt because it coincided with the Age of Frost or w/e that myth is.

The White Frost is pretty much just an ice age, I wouldn't pay too much attention to what kind of monsters are running around. It's definitely supposed to be a vision of the future.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Ugh where the hell are all the superior potion recipes? None of the vendors seem to sell them and I'll be damned if I'm gonna sail around Skellige trying to open them from random chests.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Ugh where the hell are all the superior potion recipes? None of the vendors seem to sell them and I'll be damned if I'm gonna sail around Skellige trying to open them from random chests.

For a lot of them, you get them from doing the Practicum in Advanced Alchemy quest in Skellige. I think you can unlock it by asking herbalists about a master alchemist.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Harrow posted:

Aw, the Wolf School stuff is medium armor? I'm pretty married to light armor thanks to Cat School Techniques and it's tough to give up an extra 20% damage on my fast attacks even if the Wolf School gear looks great.

Cat School+Light Armor gets you the most sword DPS even with few/no points in the attack tree, it's really hard to justify anything else if you're shooting for big numbers that isn't based on cheesing Igni. Cat+Light with enough points in alchemy to get the toxicity and mutagen buff traits makes you a double-decoctin' god. Ekhidna+Archgriffin=press heavy attack to win. I'm hoping that once the DLC is out and I'm doing another playthough there's been some sort of balance pass.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Harrow posted:

For a lot of them, you get them from doing the Practicum in Advanced Alchemy quest in Skellige. I think you can unlock it by asking herbalists about a master alchemist.

I didn't even need to do the quest - there's a vendor near the quest starter who sold them for me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cephalocidal posted:

Cat School+Light Armor gets you the most sword DPS even with few/no points in the attack tree, it's really hard to justify anything else if you're shooting for big numbers that isn't based on cheesing Igni. Cat+Light with enough points in alchemy to get the toxicity and mutagen buff traits makes you a double-decoctin' god. Ekhidna+Archgriffin=press heavy attack to win. I'm hoping that once the DLC is out and I'm doing another playthough there's been some sort of balance pass.

That's exactly what I'm doing--well, without the Archgriffin decoction, because I haven't gotten the mutagen for it yet. The Ekhidna decoction is insane already.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Harrow posted:

I did that quest and he doesn't sell any of the potion/bomb/oil recipes (whatever he had I bought), just a bunch of glyph/runestone ones. I'm kind of annoyed by the whole alchemy process, I've probably spent more money and time hunting down the ingredients to make White Gull than I have any other single task.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I did that quest and he doesn't sell any of the potion/bomb/oil recipes (whatever he had I bought), just a bunch of glyph/runestone ones. I'm kind of annoyed by the whole alchemy process, I've probably spent more money and time hunting down the ingredients to make White Gull than I have any other single task.

That's weird. I bought superior Grapeshot, Devil's Puffball, Dancing Star, Samum, Swallow, Thunderbolt, Blizzard, and Tawny Owl from him. He also had a shitload of runestones.

And yeah, making White Gull is a pain. I did that yesterday, too.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

WoodrowSkillson posted:

only 2 bugged merchants i know are the smith in the square in novigrad

Assuming you mean the armourer in hierarch square - he is never there for me whenever I visit either. But if I walk up to the money changer guy a few doors down he instantly appears, even if I don't talk to the money changer.

The guy in the market round the corner from Hierarch square, the one that crafts swords, is never there until I meditate right outside the shop. And then he usually won't talk to me until I run around for a bit then go back to him. Really weird. Other than these two all the merchants seem fine for me.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Harrow posted:

That's weird. I bought superior Grapeshot, Devil's Puffball, Dancing Star, Samum, Swallow, Thunderbolt, Blizzard, and Tawny Owl from him. He also had a shitload of runestones.

And yeah, making White Gull is a pain. I did that yesterday, too.

Eh, Witcher Moonshine White Gull isn't so bad. Just make sure you buy out a few stacks of Cherry Cordial when you can and everything else you should have from looting.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Harrow posted:

That's true. I guess the other thing is that the Mastercrafted Feline armor stacks up so much attack power all on its own that I can't imagine wearing anything else.
I cant decide what runes to slot in my Feline Armor/Ursine Swords now that I am level 26 and have a million slots open... I have 3 rune slots on each weapon and 7 rune slots between the different armor parts...what should I slot? I remember reading that the Pellar got diagrams for every runestone added in a patch and I assume I can generate rune construction parts by breaking down the lesser runes I have plenty of, but what Greater Runestones should I slot in all of my slots? I have like 50k gold so I imange I could do pretty much anything w/r/t runes.
For the swords I am leaning a Perun (+5% Adrenaline gain), a Chernobog (+5% Attack Power), and a Veles (+5% Sign Intensity); or simply loading up on three of each of one of those (most likely three Veles because sign intensity is my weakest aspect), but I like the idea of enhancing my adrenaline gain and attack power a bit more (synergizing with my armor and sword perks) and adding a little sign intensity for variety's sake.
For the armor I am not seeing many options and am thinking Greater Glyphs of Quen in all 7 slots since I use Quen so much out of laziness, but I am open to other suggestions.

In other news I have 3 skill points to assign and do not know what to go with - I have the first two fast attack skills and three points in Battle Trance (-20% adrenaline loss on hits taken per point), and enough alchemy skills to have tier 4 alchemy skills available, but they all seem underwhelming now that I am here. I guess since I have 9 bombs a slot I might as well take Cluster Bombs? Also the only "General" skill I have is "Cat School Techniques" - are there any that stand out as really good/useful that I should be using?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Harrow posted:

That's exactly what I'm doing--well, without the Archgriffin decoction, because I haven't gotten the mutagen for it yet. The Ekhidna decoction is insane already.

I figure the health regen on that has to be a bug/misplaced decimal point. There's no way it's intentional that you can jump five times or igni once or whirl once to restore your whole health bar.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Harrow posted:

Archgriffin is nuts. Any strong attack you make uses up 100% of your stamina (if you have any) and adds a flat 10% of the max health of whatever you're hitting to the damage you deal to it. So if you've got high stamina regen (like from, say, wearing light armor or having lots of points in signs or both) you're cleaving through enemies and healing yourself for huge chunks of health at the same time. There's another decoction (Wraith, I think) that auto-Quens if you ever take a hit for 1/3 of your health or more. With all the potions and the +30 tox general trait and the +threshold trait you can run all three at once without bleeding health, at which point you're capable of face-tanking skull level cyclopes on DM with one button.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Go to the vendor that's like, right next to him. If the recipes aren't there, maybe there is a level component to vendor stock? I know I had found at least one superior recipe in a random chest before I bought them, so that's a possibility.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006
Just stack same-type critical effects on weapons, imo. Poison and bleed for steel swords and freeze and burn on silver swords. Fill in any gaps with attack power on silver and armor piercing on steel. It couldn't matter less though because even DM combat is totally trivialized by the time you get to Act 2.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Finally finished this, after a whopping 80 hours. Managed to get what's probably one of the more satisfying endings: Ciri surviving and witchering it up, while Geralt actually settles down with Triss up north. Perhaps he'll be the second Witcher to die in bed :v:. I'm a bit torn whether it might not have been better if Ciri had ended up as the Nilfgaardian empress, but I think with his line being pretty much extinguished Emhyr won't have much cause to continue with his wars of expansion, so there's a good chance for relative peace either way. I really hadn't expected things to end on such a positive note.

It really was a top-notch experience all around. The scenes with Geralt dad-ing it up with Ciri were pretty much pure gold.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Slightly off topic but the quest designer for Bloody Baron is probably now a quest designer on Horizon, that open world rpg that was shown at the Sony Conference

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dennis-zoetebier/5/12a/859?trk=biz_employee_pub

Says he's working on an unannounced title at Guerrilla Games, but he may have just not updated his profile yet

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I need to stop doing side quests. As awesome as the game in I'm beginning to suffer burnout.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ZombieLenin posted:

I need to stop doing side quests. As awesome as the game in I'm beginning to suffer burnout.

I finished all of mine and now I'm sad because the game is going to end. I have found lots of areas that seem related to quests I don't have though. I wonder if I've missed some or if they are primed for future content.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cephalocidal posted:

That was my first thought, re: pitchforks. Second thought: that's basically a lightly armored doublet.

So... Geralt was killed by a doublet in his past life. Now it's all starting to make sense...

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
If I could turn this into a critique of the game, I will say this. Many of the side quests have too many components and, particularly after spending 10 hours running doing Novigrad's quests, these components seem to pretty drat heavy on fetching multiple things on opposite sides of maps.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

What runes do people use in their equipment?

ZombieLenin posted:

If I could turn this into a critique of the game, I will say this. Many of the side quests have too many components and, particularly after spending 10 hours running doing Novigrad's quests, these components seem to pretty drat heavy on fetching multiple things on opposite sides of maps.
I got burned out on running around Novigrad doing quests.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ZombieLenin posted:

Same here. I have no desire to run around the island map and there is so much left open there. I went back to the main quest. Now I'm just getting the Witcher gear and I plan on finishing the game when I have all that. If I can finish any side quest on the way that's fine, but I'm not going out of my way.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

This game is really, really good. I just like wandering about and looking at things while travelling between places because it's so pretty.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
isle of mists/assault on khaer morhen fails the plot to kill radovid sidequest nooooOOOO i wanted to see how that turned out

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

my new dog posted:

isle of mists/assault on khaer morhen fails the plot to kill radovid sidequest nooooOOOO i wanted to see how that turned out

It's almost like the notice about quests relating to important characters failing after Isle of Mists wasn't just a joke by CDPR!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I'm still in novigrad, and I'm thinking that since I'm on normal, I'll power through the rest of the game and start a DM playthrough where I do all the side quests. I don't want to burn myself out too soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I have the Ugly Baby next in my main quest queue - do I have to worry about finishing any side quests before that?