Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

I wish DeepL would make a (real) mobile app, their machine translations are much better but its web only and it doesnt have all the nice extras like photo text scanning.

skull wall fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Whatever translation app my students use to "write" their final papers is not good.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah they're still total dogshit for extended discourse, idiomatic language, etc. I really only plan on using Google interpretation if I am in a completely hopeless situation for communication.

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Hello thread, I have a present for you.

http://cgibin.erols.com/bdwilner/.../japan/index.htm

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

no thank you

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Owns

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Uses slurs unironically and calls the written language primitive, checks out

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

The Japanese have stolen nearly every aspect of their culture from China

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i ain't reading that disasterpiece

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Man I’m sorry I slept on this earlier.

First paragraph:
“Exotic Japan”
“We learned not only that standard preconceived notions are untrue, but also that authoritative "corrections" of those notions are often equally untrue!”
“Thanks are extended to (ZhongWen.com) for their nonpareil library of online Chinese character GIFs and to JASC Paint Shop Pro for helping me to Japanize them.”

Simultaneously using “nonpareil” in casual writing and using loving Corel Paint to manually change Chinese characters to Japanese versions, what a wild drat ride.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 19, 2021

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

Of course, Japan has its share of linguistic ethnocentrism: in convenience and fast-food stores, they keep talking at us in Japanese—seemingly out of harmless, ingrained politeness—though they know we don’t understand a word. My, the Japanese are such creatures of habit! 

quote:

Amid this painstakingly organized demi-chaos, they have subjugated the will of the individual to the will of the collective, though in brutally efficient and organized fashion—like so many Borg. 

lol :riker:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
an american seeing good manners and it being so alien they compare it to star trek is p funny

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

I, too, prefer to have people assume I can't speak a language because of my appearance and just grunt at me like I was an animal!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like these docomo bike share bicycles it's better than walking

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Bike shares own and are cool. Tokyo's implementation of them is pretty limited tho, which is too bad, but then Tokyo is really not built that well for bikes most places, unless you're able to go at near-car speeds on the road.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
the docomo coverage in tokyo doesn't seem particularly limited to me:

and yeah tokyo doesn't have bike infrastructure, but it does have bike culture and the drivers are mostly aware and considerate.

it's been the better part of a decade since i used anything other than a bike inside of ~10km on a regular basis and it's fine.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RIP Sonny Chiba. :smith:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Did every single woman in the late 90s and early 2000s look like Monica Lewinsky? man I swear

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

the docomo coverage in tokyo doesn't seem particularly limited to me:

and yeah tokyo doesn't have bike infrastructure, but it does have bike culture and the drivers are mostly aware and considerate.

it's been the better part of a decade since i used anything other than a bike inside of ~10km on a regular basis and it's fine.

Yeah I guess my impression was either just wrong or that they expanded a lot in the last couple of years, because I did not realize there were even that many. Looking at more pictures looks like a lot of the stations are more out of the way which probably contributed to my mistake there.

Nonetheless it's not as common as I'm used to now; looks like Tokyo has 870 ports and 9,200 bikes, whereas my city of 2.7mm people has more stations and almost as many bikes (believe this # is also actual directly pulled data and actual active bikes, not inclusive of ones in repair et al).

Taipei too, is nuts, with 25k bikes in one system , alongside the co-existing new 2.0 system they're rolling out, mostly confined to just around Taipei U now, which has another 3,800 bikes.

Compared to that Tokyo bike share always seemed quite inconvenient and limited.

I also commuted exclusively by bike for over a year last I was in Tokyo but there's def issues for a general populace; some places the sidewalks are too crowded and the roads iffy for normal people who want to cruise along slowly. I never had problems in the road on a road bike and love it but it's harder for a broader crowd of people outside of more suburban areas imo.

You should visit Taiwan when things open up; the bike share is really great and fun to cruise around on.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i've been wanting to go to taiwan for ages to eat all that street food stuff they got on youtube.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Thank you for this gift. It made me miss Japan but also provide content such as

quote:

Cheryl remarks to me that the Japanese seem to have very yellow teeth, and I must admit that this comment is lost on me. Yukiko next tells us that the Japanese follow Shinto when happy (since Shinto favors the here) but Buddhism when sad (since Buddhism addresses the hereafter). It seems quite inappropriate to pick and choose one’s religion based upon the conveniences of the moment, particularly since Shinto is a primitive animistic faith and Buddhism is an advanced polytheistic system. The discussion of the old and the new also touches upon the troubles at the Russian embassy, which we pass: it seems that youngsters frequently picket, based on the fact that Russia occupies one or more of the Kuril Islands north of Japan, and that a network of police spotters is positioned to detect trouble early and secure the embassy when necessary. We again happen past the Tokyo Tower, which is overrun with schoolchildren, who stick heads out of windows and hang from the rafters by their prehensile tails. (Well, perhaps that’s an exaggeration.) The people on the street carry parasols (umbrellas, actually) in the fierce sunlight but do not wear sunglasses. Yukiko tells us that sunglasses are frowned upon. Later, another guide will give us a bullshit explanation about how the superior Japanese eye is not disturbed by brilliant light, whereas the inferior Caucasian eye is photosensitive.

quote:

The shrine also features stacks of huge sake barrels that are donated to the gods, who evidently like to get drunk.

In fact, the continual drunken stupor of the gods underlies the details of the prayer ritual, which includes bowing twice, clapping twice (to get their attention), orating, and, finally, bowing once. A pot of incense is also provided, and one typically rubs one’s hands in the incense smoke and then on an ailing body part for the reputed sanative effects. Yukiko encourages us to perform one or more of these rites, but I am a Messianic Jew and will not commit idolatry; in fact, it disturbs me that others happy-go-luckily perform the rite as if it’s fun without for a moment considering its implications.

To be fair though, the writing was very precise and had perfect grammar, even if the guy is a complete goon.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
If I had read that stuff anywhere else, I would've sworn up and down that it was deliberate bait.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Dear lord I didn't realize there was a second and further pages.

quote:

Today is our free day in Tokyo. Up early, I discover that this country also has its assholes: trying to convert ¥95 in loose change to a ¥100 coin that the vending machines will accept, the desk clerk staunchly refuses—despite my puppy dog eyes—unless I cough up the missing ¥5 (4 cents). You would never see that in America. Just for kicks, we take the hour-long Yamanote ride all around Tokyo to watch the sleepy Japanese commute to work. (Actually, the Yamanote only loops around the city center; it seems that many foreign cities’ subway networks include this type of central loop line, plus numerous diametrical lines that intersect the loop twice.) I’m getting used to having to continually undo my shirt and unzip my passport belt to extricate the JR passes to show to the station attendants. Some actually open the passes and check the date, while others just wave us through. (We always have to show our passes on the way out of the station, since the automatic turnstile scanner always rejects our tickets—which are evidently configured in "foreigner mode.") Many businessmen on the train have earplugs or Walkmen, and everyone seems to have established a quiet psychological bubble around himself. I chat briefly with one gentleman on the subway, largely by scratching out kanji at a fifth-grade level in my notebook, but most of the people do not condescend to try to communicate. (This stands in such stark contrast to America, where people often go out of their way to assist foreigners.)

I’ve finally figured out why they play these stupid ditties at the train station. It is to wake people so that they don’t miss their stops. One frequently heard melody (treble clef, key of A major, 3/2 time signature) is:

while another (treble clef, key of C major, 4/2 time signature) is this:

This is a goldmine

EDIT:

quote:

I slip into a manga shop to hunt for a sexy comic. We have heard that these are big business in Japan. It takes no time flat for me to find a book-sized comic that features the most explicit scenes of white girls having physical fun with macho white men, stern Japanese masters, even an American Indian chief. The comic is skillfully slipped into a brown paper cover and into my knapsack. I’m really not much of a fan of explicit magazines, but I had to buy one here as part of my sociological research.

Last quip. I'll stop now.

i fly airplanes fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 24, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Don't doxx me.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

quote:

Back on the train, there are more lifeless people. Even if they’re full of personality, all conversation seems to grind to a halt as soon as they set foot on the train. If Cheryl and I laugh, they stare at us.

quote:

Finally—and most surprisingly—we see two dangerous-looking black American homeboys hanging out. They are discernible at quite a distance by the steady stream of "gently caress" and "mother fucker" issuing from their mouths.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If you want to know what ol' Bruce is up to, now: https://coconutcreeknews.net/helpful-neighbor-rips-off-blind-man-p460-169.htm

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Holy poo poo that actually is him, isn't it.

...aaand it's in Florida because of course.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

What do we even call that... a "proto-Karen"? I don't know

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wasn't expecting that but I'm not surprised either.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

The guy is a huge goon and scumbag but his text is also way more interesting to read than the typical anodyne modern travel blog. Definitely didn't expect him to be ripping off a blind guy. I bet he rationalizes it as "being paid for his time helping the guy" or some bullshit.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Yeah, this kinda writing seems to be more or less gone from the net nowadays. I will always treasure https://spikejapan.wordpress.com/ which I think I got from this or another Japan thread

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saladman posted:

The guy is a huge goon and scumbag but his text is also way more interesting to read than the typical anodyne modern travel blog. Definitely didn't expect him to be ripping off a blind guy. I bet he rationalizes it as "being paid for his time helping the guy" or some bullshit.

I'm just really curious to know what happened to the wife in the ensuing 17 years before the blind guy thing. Maybe that Japan trip was the death knell of their relationship.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Saladman posted:

The guy is a huge goon and scumbag but his text is also way more interesting to read than the typical anodyne modern travel blog.

Grim Up North posted:

Yeah, this kinda writing seems to be more or less gone from the net nowadays.

I wonder why this is. Travel was a lot more expensive 20 years ago, international long-haul flights were a big deal, so maybe you had to travel with quite more purpose. As the internet and social media grew we moved more towards pictures and videos instead of stories?

I think there is a bit of something lost with the Lonely Planet way of travelling before the internet took off. Nowadays when people go somewhere, they know exactly where they're going and how they're getting there, and they're sharing everything to Instagram. Or maybe this is nostalgia from getting old, idk

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I was in Japan the year this guy visited. It was different 20 years ago, yeah, but not ancient. Digital cameras were around, MP3 players were in their pre-iPod days, my J-Phone even had a camera, I also used Paint Shop Pro, and these gay forums existed. That website would have read just as goony back then as it does now. Overall I'm not a huge fan of social media, but I think it has made Japan seem more accessible, and less exotic, for a lot of people. I'm glad these "deer in headlights" kind of trip reports have gone away.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Grim Up North posted:

I will always treasure https://spikejapan.wordpress.com/ which I think I got from this or another Japan thread

If anyone hasn't read this, you really should. In a better world the author never would've stopped, or at least would've continued writing about other places.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Heres a travel blog that has lots stuff from Japan that I really like :)

https://motorcycleparadise.net/

Travel is definitely easier and its easy to go Japan even if you dont speak the language, 10/10 when it feels like some tourists in Shinjuku for example are treating it as an amusement park lmao

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

The concept of shame does not apply to foreigners walking down the streets getting smashed drinking chu-hais

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Shinjuku is an amusement park.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's better manners to sit and streetdrink* **

*parkdrink

**goons know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

i fly airplanes posted:

I wonder why this is. Travel was a lot more expensive 20 years ago, international long-haul flights were a big deal, so maybe you had to travel with quite more purpose. As the internet and social media grew we moved more towards pictures and videos instead of stories?

I think there is a bit of something lost with the Lonely Planet way of travelling before the internet took off. Nowadays when people go somewhere, they know exactly where they're going and how they're getting there, and they're sharing everything to Instagram. Or maybe this is nostalgia from getting old, idk

Travel is a bit easier but also Japan has pushed it a bit harder as other industries have been offshored. Granted, they don’t always do it *well*, but they’ve established a bit more that Japan isn’t an inaccessible place. I wonder if airline flights helped too - Iceland is the recent example to point to in that regard.

The Internet just sped up how quickly things get updates related to “where to go.” More is publishing online and in English, and it’s so much easier to find things on your own that aren’t printed travel guides.

Though guess what my wife still always gets before we traveled pre-pandemic :v: