Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Maneck posted:

Trolls probably deserved a full balance pass, but it's nice that PP tossed this out there.

I'm on team "Trolls are the worst" and think they need more than that, especially for their warbeasts because they are all almost the same other than Mulg. Literally all Trollblood warbeasts other than Mulg have SPD 5, the non-gargantuans all have DEF 12, the heavies all have ARM 18 and 30hp (the earthborn has 32 admittedly), while the lights all have 22hp. Five out of seven non-Mulg dire trolls have MAT 6 and two P+S 15 claws with a 1" reach. The light trolls are slightly better - there is actually a range of ARM (16-17, with one at 15) and a range of MAT and RAT from 5 to 6 - while they have actually genuinely interesting weapons.

And then their gimmick is basically no-selling - from no selling attacks thanks to the Krielstone and Tough to e.g. the Krielstone blocking incorporeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

As much as I love my trolls, and I've done pretty well with them, they are lacking range, speed (although Northkin isn't actually terrible here), accuracy, and firepower. These buffs help some things but the Blitzer, for instance, doesn't become playable because the gun is more accurate at short range. The problem is that the platform is overcosted, and all the Dire Trolls are over costed. You could drop the Bomber down another point and it would still not be too cheap. War Wagons are good enough to play but they can't put a lot of damage on a single target, and Hooch Haulers might as well not exist at 18 points. That thing should be a pure buffing platform and cost like 12 points max.

Trolls still have to brick up around the stone to not get lit up with ease, which means they struggle super hard in a lot of 2019 scenarios unless, again, you're playing Northkin. I'm excited to see how some of the 2 x Archon + Hermit lists shape up for scenario play, but I'm not convinced it's got the hitting power it ought to.

That being said I'm gonna start playing Calandra and Grissel 1 this year to see if I can get around some of these issues. Trolls have some warlocks with genuinely good spells but often mediocre feats and not a deep enough bench of animii options to warrant the price tag on their beasts. What makes me really sad is that there are almost no dedicated battlegroup casters in the faction and the ones that do exist aren't particularly strong.

Oh and make Runeshapers 7 points and a Req option please and thanks

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Anyone else remember when Hordes was first introduced and trolls were advertised as the ranged faction?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

rydiafan posted:

Anyone else remember when Hordes was first introduced and trolls were advertised as the ranged faction?

I'm sorry what

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I can kind of see it. They had.the Blitzer and bomber for heavies, and the spearthower as a light, where the other hordes factions were even more limited than that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I guess if we're just talking about the battlegroups and primal releases, uh... sure? I'm trying to wrap my head around that :v:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
How many legion beasts don't have a ranged attack?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The scythean uhhhhh...... and one or two nephilim?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

rydiafan posted:

The only troll warlocks I have are Gunnbjorn, Grim Angus, Jarl Skuld, and Grissel2. Checks out to me.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

S.J. posted:

The scythean uhhhhh...... and one or two nephilim?

Scythean is relatively new, no? Carnivean was the first heavy, I thought, and that has a ranged attack.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah that's correct. I dunno man.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
True, but that is a spray. I'm not sure if the ravigore was among the initial legion releases?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Nonetheless, it's kind of hard to imagine Trollbloods being considered the ranged faction when Legion exists.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I definitely remember hearing that being the plan for them in like, Mk1 days. That obviously went away in a hurry.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Trolls as a slow but tanky ranged focus army would be rad and it makes me sad all their ranged units are horrible overpriced or unsupported or both. Plus they don't really have a caster that focuses on buffing a shooting list much other than Mr Trencher, who although I like, is having to play with a ton of overcosted units.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
I'm looking to unload most of my Mercs models since no one plays this game where I live now. Listing them here first before I try to Ebay the whole mess.

SA Mart Post:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3907806&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post501043023

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

How many legion beasts don't have a ranged attack?

Lots (12), though it's easy to overlook thanks to the overlap between "no ranged attack" and "is considered terrible".

Of the four lesser warbeasts, only the stinger has a ranged attack.

Of the eight lights, 3 have ranged attacks. The Raek is probably the only melee light beast that is considered reasonably good.

Of the eleven heavies, Golab, Proteus, Scytheans and Neraphs are melee only, but seem well regarded relative to their ranged attack having peers.

Both Gargantuans have ranged attacks.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Rotwings done*.

*There's 19 in that picture. The 20th needed rehab after the super glue didn't quite take. Works 100% of the time 95% of the time, etc.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Those look fantastic dude, good job.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The (near-)final rules for Helga 2: Highway 2 Helga:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Using that feat to jam with primed models, hell yeah.

I love this entire package right now, although I wish she had a unique version of Battle Host that also affected/gained armor from the Battle Engine.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Primed is a really weird one for pigs, they don't have the mass conscript forces they'd want to explode, nor some good large reach unit for +2s - slaughterhousers are on the expensive/small unit side. But, in other news, pig beasts definitely like +2 speed and pathfinder, let alone boosted charges and extra move from the feat. Funny how she isn't really faster than Helga on foot, 11 speed with engine vs 5 speed + 5 speed cyclone, or 6+6 if you dash and cyclone (aside from reposition).

Seems interesting all around, I'm glad she wasn't as overpowering as some of the other riot quest models (harlowe).

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
You can feat move and then repo right? God that looks frustrating.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Nope core rules prevent claiming two end of activation movements.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Captainicus posted:

Primed is a really weird one for pigs, they don't have the mass conscript forces they'd want to explode, nor some good large reach unit for +2s - slaughterhousers are on the expensive/small unit side. But, in other news, pig beasts definitely like +2 speed and pathfinder, let alone boosted charges and extra move from the feat. Funny how she isn't really faster than Helga on foot, 11 speed with engine vs 5 speed + 5 speed cyclone, or 6+6 if you dash and cyclone (aside from reposition).

Seems interesting all around, I'm glad she wasn't as overpowering as some of the other riot quest models (harlowe).

True, but with Nyss Hunters...

e: Harlowe makes me actually angry. Not because he's too good, he isn't, but because it makes me look at my gun mages with an even bigger sad face.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

S.J. posted:

e: Harlowe makes me actually angry. Not because he's too good, he isn't, but because it makes me look at my gun mages with an even bigger sad face.

This is a good point. Harlowe isn't dominating games... but the poor gunmages and taryn are left in the dust anyway.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Are we at a point where gun mages are not the default choice for everything?

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

For_Great_Justice posted:

Are we at a point where gun mages are not the default choice for everything?

We've been at that point since the beginning of the edition when thier Def dropped to 14 and Warmachine became single wound infantry hate edition.

Edit: to elaborate. It's hard to justify Gun Mages these days when they are almost point for point the most expensive non character single wound infantry in the game once you attach the Officer which is compulsory to make them work and they are Def 14, Arm 11 with no survival tech at all. They just struggle to be 'killy' enough in a meta where single wound infantry aren't taken a lot and they are too expensive and fragile to justify taking as support control models.

All that said, the solos are all amazing and I've got no problem taking the SOTT theme with no Gun Mage units at all.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 18, 2020

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

In other news Skorne are currently loving The Terrorizer's spoilers. He's a RiotQuest model and one of the agonizers who used to carry Rasheth around (so has animosity with him). He's a character agonizer, allowed in Disciples of Agony (as a requisition point!) and with the Rush animus but is squishy as hell - meaning that most Skorne top tier lists are busy replacing gladiators with a terrorizer and either a void archon or even an archidon (when the requisition option used to be Marketh).

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
I give full credit to PP for tuning the level of stupid nonsense just right with the Riot Quest characters.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

neonchameleon posted:

In other news Skorne are currently loving The Terrorizer's spoilers. He's a RiotQuest model and one of the agonizers who used to carry Rasheth around (so has animosity with him). He's a character agonizer, allowed in Disciples of Agony (as a requisition point!) and with the Rush animus but is squishy as hell - meaning that most Skorne top tier lists are busy replacing gladiators with a terrorizer and either a void archon or even an archidon (when the requisition option used to be Marketh).

Yo this model is loving rad though, and that backstory is amazing.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I randomly started wanting to break out some old Warmahordes stuff lately.

Is there uh, any good use for Nephilim Soldiers?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

I randomly started wanting to break out some old Warmahordes stuff lately.

Is there uh, any good use for Nephilim Soldiers?

Making a diorama? Spare parts for a conversion? Seriously they are an expensive melee light that neither provides support nor tricksy movement. It's a bad combination. (From a Skorne perspective it's interesting how similar they are to the Archidon (which we use all the time) - but we only use the Archidon both because we have beast handlers and it's our only beast with flight - frankly the Nephilim Soldier looks more like an overpriced Cyclops Savage - which we don't use anyway).

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

More to the point, Legion seems out of an identity with the release of Infernals as the glass canon faction and better in every ways.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Not to many people would argue against a balance pass for all Legion lights and lessers.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah, Legion needs to re-find it's niche I think. Jank movement, magic, and guns are definitely a trifecta they used to specialize in but a lot of the tools they had were deemed too oppressive in the 3e crossover and haven't been revisited, which is bullshit imo. Make people fear Lylyth again.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

More like a faction wide pass, save maybe for Primal Terrors. The themes are now okay, but they have way too many underperforming models.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Hey, they finally put the rest of the flames in the darkness models on war room :toot:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Iceclaw posted:

More like a faction wide pass, save maybe for Primal Terrors. The themes are now okay, but they have way too many underperforming models.

Okay, but what I described basically would be a faction wide pass at this point to be fair :v:

Captainicus posted:

Hey, they finally put the rest of the flames in the darkness models on war room :toot:

Any big differences between this and CID?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

S.J. posted:

Any big differences between this and CID?

Didn't seem like much changed - the only one I noticed was resolutes got repairable. The Morrowan Priest attachtment grants rise and has shield guard, which I think is different from his CID version?