Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They make you do dailies to unlock basic skills in wow now, and the nonsense gatekeeping with flight is as my nan would say, complete bollocks. It’s just not fun for casuals and what makes it infinitely worse is that you can’t just pick a land or expansion and level though it, you hit the level limit for that area and the XP for quest rewards just stops, which forces you to go do the second to last expansion for a bit before going on to end game. Like what the gently caress? I have absolutely no idea what’s going on here, is that spirit dragon meant to mean something? Idk? I didn’t do that bit because the game is forcing me to run through end game content to get flight for that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

learnincurve posted:

They make you do dailies to unlock basic skills in wow now, and the nonsense gatekeeping with flight is as my nan would say, complete bollocks. It’s just not fun for casuals and what makes it infinitely worse is that you can’t just pick a land or expansion and level though it, you hit the level limit for that area and the XP for quest rewards just stops, which forces you to go do the second to last expansion for a bit before going on to end game. Like what the gently caress? I have absolutely no idea what’s going on here, is that spirit dragon meant to mean something? Idk? I didn’t do that bit because the game is forcing me to run through end game content to get flight for that area.

This is the wrong thread for this but literally everything you just said is incorrect.

Anyway, I like nirnroot. It’s neat and sounds funny

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I just levelled a brand new account and I assure you it’s correct for new players, players who continued after wrath have absolutely no idea how lovely the game is to come back to. In order not to put my daughter off and give her a fair chance of getting into the game I had to power level to end end game just so I could unlock basic poo poo account wide for her.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

literally everything you just said is incorrect.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
How is it incorrect? You level out of the lower level zone you are in long before you complete any storylines, you can continue but the XP rewards stop, and you are forced to move on at 40 and do 10 levels in the last expansion before hitting 50. The whole thing is just fractured to poo poo. I literally just levelled 4 characters on a brand new account, maybe older players are unaware of how it works on a first character now idc. I am aware that you do a quest line to unlock all the fucknuts stupid skill system in this latest zone now, but also that you have to do a unending amount of stupid complicated bullshit to unlock flying in that zone so I quit.

e: everything I'm saying can be verified by opening up the freaking map and looking at zone levels btw

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 17, 2022

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Someone talk me out of buying this tiki bar on a volcano.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

the panacea posted:

I will not.

Do you want to die NOT having bought a tiki bar on a volcano??

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

the panacea posted:

Don't do it!

Certainly don't decorate it like the ultimate party island of your dreams and just chill there between adventures like a boss.

Definitely don't start an awesome novelty guild whose bank is just filled with beverages like the ultimate fantasy cooler.

And whatever you do, do not invite this entire thread to the greatest luau in Nirn history with fire-pit performers and voice chat and a real band playing over Discord, becoming an instant living legend.

Phew, good thing you dodged that bullet.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
I haven't even checked out that house yet but this thread.....ugh I'm gonna spend crowns aren't I?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

What do I wear to the party? Graht climbers active wear? Rumare waterfront casual wear?

E- nm it’s the towel or nothing :wink:

Snowy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 18, 2022

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Snowy posted:

What do I wear to the party? Graht climbers active wear? Rumare waterfront casual wear?

E- nm it’s the towel or nothing :wink:

All heavy daedric armor.
No not that one, or that one, or even that other one. Full-rear end skyrim style kynreeve.

Cannonball's gonna be big y'all.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Is there a setting (or mod) to specifically turn off your own character's sound? I really like playing my Templar but she screams and grunts so much in combat, the neighbors are going to start getting concerned.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

If someones having a goon party in game please let me know so I can grind for something nice to wear.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

You should be grinding at the party

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Sometimes I feel like playing this game again but man I cannot imagine logging in without having the ESO+ crafting bag

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

NeurosisHead posted:

Sometimes I feel like playing this game again but man I cannot imagine logging in without having the ESO+ crafting bag

That's real talk... Every time I feel like playing I remember this, hem and haw about whether I want to play bad enough to spend $15, and then I end up not doing it.

You know, it's a funny thing about big MMO's, they all decided years ago that $15/month is the standard price, and they all make most of their money off people willing to pay that price, but sometimes I wonder if they wouldn't do better by having potentially a lot more people more consistently paying a lower price. $15 is not crazy money, but it's just enough that, if I'm not playing a game daily, I will bother to cancel it. If it cost like $6 a month I would probably just let it run for the rest of my life on the off chance that I might feel like playing every once in a while. poo poo, I probably never would have stopped playing WoW if it was cheaper.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nerd Of Prey posted:

That's real talk... Every time I feel like playing I remember this, hem and haw about whether I want to play bad enough to spend $15, and then I end up not doing it.

You know, it's a funny thing about big MMO's, they all decided years ago that $15/month is the standard price, and they all make most of their money off people willing to pay that price, but sometimes I wonder if they wouldn't do better by having potentially a lot more people more consistently paying a lower price. $15 is not crazy money, but it's just enough that, if I'm not playing a game daily, I will bother to cancel it. If it cost like $6 a month I would probably just let it run for the rest of my life on the off chance that I might feel like playing every once in a while. poo poo, I probably never would have stopped playing WoW if it was cheaper.

Yeah I feel like under $10 and I wouldn’t think twice, $15 keeps my finger on the cancel button

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Yeah <$10 is definitely my impulse buy threshold. Up to that it's a sum of money that I don't miss enough to pay attention to. $15 might only be like, a beer and a half, but it's just enough that if I don't actively want something I'm not willing to spend it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Is there a good new player/"returning after years away player" guide?

I just started a Necromancer and I'm a little overwhelmed with choice of where to go and what to do.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Annath posted:

Is there a good new player/"returning after years away player" guide?

I just started a Necromancer and I'm a little overwhelmed with choice of where to go and what to do.

I hate when people give this answer, but it kind depends on what stuff you want to do? I also just came back after a couple years, am also overwhelmed, but I think I have a pretty good content rotation going on now:

1. If you care about story, pick an expansion (or base game) and just play through the main quest lines. You'll get tons of xp/loot/etc as you go and you won't have to think much about gear for hundreds of hours.
2. If you just want to hit max level and do dungeons/raids/etc, you can easily grind levels with public events. Head to any of the starting zones and drop an 'x' in zone chat and you'll likely get autoinvited to a giant group rotating between the Dolmens.
3. Work on unlocking skill lines (Fighter's Guild, Mage Guild, Undaunted Dailies)? Fighter and Mage have storylines but also you can just grind out their skill XP directly. Undaunteds are 3 daily dungeon quests.

Your "Goal" for vertical progression is to hit 160CP, which is the 'gear cap' after level 50. After 160CP, all gear across the whole game will always drop at 'max' level, and it'll just be up to you which specific gear sets you want to find and equip.

I've mostly been rotating between those three things as I get bored with one or the other, plus I've finally figured out how crafting works so now I can do those dailies as well.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Pryce posted:

I hate when people give this answer, but it kind depends on what stuff you want to do? I also just came back after a couple years, am also overwhelmed, but I think I have a pretty good content rotation going on now:

1. If you care about story, pick an expansion (or base game) and just play through the main quest lines. You'll get tons of xp/loot/etc as you go and you won't have to think much about gear for hundreds of hours.
2. If you just want to hit max level and do dungeons/raids/etc, you can easily grind levels with public events. Head to any of the starting zones and drop an 'x' in zone chat and you'll likely get autoinvited to a giant group rotating between the Dolmens.
3. Work on unlocking skill lines (Fighter's Guild, Mage Guild, Undaunted Dailies)? Fighter and Mage have storylines but also you can just grind out their skill XP directly. Undaunteds are 3 daily dungeon quests.

Your "Goal" for vertical progression is to hit 160CP, which is the 'gear cap' after level 50. After 160CP, all gear across the whole game will always drop at 'max' level, and it'll just be up to you which specific gear sets you want to find and equip.

I've mostly been rotating between those three things as I get bored with one or the other, plus I've finally figured out how crafting works so now I can do those dailies as well.

Oh, so THIS is why you left…

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

IMO the best way to play the game is to be a murder hobo and just wander around exploring until you find something interesting.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Echo'ing "pick a zone and quest away until you get bored of it" as the main thing. Few other things:

- I really recommend treating this as a typical MMO and pay the $15 / month sub. If you're a typical MMO player, you'll go through much more than $15 worth of VIP zones in a month.
- If you're *not* going to go VIP, then don't craft at all (and if you're just doing open world / pug stuff, you'll be fine without crafting anyways). The craft bag might as well be mandatory if you want to craft. But check the DLC prices, check gem prices, and you'll probably realize you should just VIP when you're actively playing. https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/crownstore/category/1
- If you *are* going to do crafting, make sure to kick off your research and keep it busy! Look in the guild bank or cheap crap on a guild trader to research if you're out of anything new.
- *make sure you buy a mount upgrade every day*

- The base content I think is the "worst", not that it's terrible or anything though.
- If you want to do things in order, use this guide: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/525351/a-clear-step-by-step-guide-to-playing-eso-in-chronological-order

In general, it's the 3 original faction continents which feed into the end of the base game. Then there's some pretty standalone stuff like Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood. However, Morrowind -> Clockwork City -> Summerset is kind of like a trilogy. The other content you see in the middle of those are generally just single dungeon DLC type stuff or something, and IMO not really important / critical to enjoying the zone stories (I'm sure others might disagree).

After base game + that one trilogy though, each zone / expac is standalone. I haven't done some of the later ones, but my understanding is that they are also made to "you can just start it and be fine". Hell you can really do that with any of them, but I do think the one trilogy is more fun to do in a row.

Thieves and Dark Brotherhood both have spots in them where you have to grind a little bit to unlock the next quest (nothing crazy though), so it can be good to start some other zones when you get to that part if you want, and work them back in when you feel like it.

Then there's some of the typical "daily MMO" stuff. They give various exp / gold / other rewards that you'll want. But if they feel like a chore, just don't do it. It's a game.
- Daily writs
- Daily / weekly eneavors
- Pledges
- Random daily dungeon

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Doctor Zero posted:

IMO the best way to play the game is to be a murder hobo and just wander around exploring until you find something interesting.

I'm doing Cadwell's Gold right now, haven't touched the dlc yet, but it's fun walking into a village like Caine from Kung Fu and someone asks if I can help them with their petty bandit problem or something and I'm like, "Dude, I've killed gods. I can handle your dumb village's problem."

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Is there a bug that causing me to get a notification that the guild message changed everyday, or is some turd actually changing it everyday?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Lysandus posted:

Is there a bug that causing me to get a notification that the guild message changed everyday, or is some turd actually changing it everyday?

In my experience it's turds.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

1glitch0 posted:

In my experience it's turds.

In that case, maybe I’ll check it out once in a while

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Lysandus posted:

It's a bug. I've had that happen for all my guilds. It took like 3 weeks for the chill bros message to stop. I don't think it has been changed in months now.

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Any current pvp guilds? P&th

edit: NA blackreach

2nd level spells fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 23, 2022

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Speaking of bugs, is it just me or does the Clothing deconstruct menu allow you to deconstruct armor you are wearing now? I broke down an entire set of armor and wound up nekkid because of that. It's not always been like that has it?

(It was just crafted training gear so, no big deal, but I am REALLY careful deconstructing now.)

E: oh, on PS5 if that matters

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I have never seen that on pc. Only thing I can think of is you accidentally took it off, maybe via the armory. You can lock armor which makes it not show up in the decon or sales window, btw. Doesn't affect wearing it or putting in the bank.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I have never seen that on pc. Only thing I can think of is you accidentally took it off, maybe via the armory. You can lock armor which makes it not show up in the decon or sales window, btw. Doesn't affect wearing it or putting in the bank.

It's definitely giving me the option to deconstruct the medium armor I'm wearing. Doesn't do it for weapons seems like.

:iiam:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I haven't played in a while - but doesn't this game give you the option to "lock" an item so it doesn't show up in decon / sell / whatever menus?

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Well this was a first for me.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Lysandus posted:

Well this was a first for me.

Cuddles-With-Strangers

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a free trial of this game or no? I see the base game on sale for super cheap and I wanted to dip my toe in to see if it's something I enjoy.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
No sub necessary at all. It's worth it in the long run if you enjoy it but go wild.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Qubee posted:

Is there a free trial of this game or no? I see the base game on sale for super cheap and I wanted to dip my toe in to see if it's something I enjoy.
They run a free trial of the game 3 times a year or so, next one probably in August. If the question was about sub then as sky said, once you own it you can play. Sub gives you access to more zones if you don't buy them separately and a craft bag and extra bank space, but game is playable without those.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If you even remotely liked any of the Elder Scrolls games you’ll get way more value out of ESO then whatever else you can buy for the 6 bucks it is on Steam.

Also it used to be on PS+ and the XBox console and PC game passes so if you happen have any of those you can try that way too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemu
May 31, 2014
Do any goons play on Xbox/console? It's on gamepass and I'm wondering if farting around on Xbox is worth it or if I should drop the :10bux: to try it on PC instead.