Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cyrano4747 posted:

Any guesses on how long until the new expansion? I'm half thinking of starting a new game, but probably won't if the expansion will be out in less than a month.

From Wiz:
https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/889408981269131264

...they haven't announced a date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i feel confident that it will be released before the next total solar eclipse

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
It's not coming out tomorrow.

In case anyone was wondering.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'm now more sure than ever that it's coming out tomorrow :tinfoil:

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The Dev build in the stream is getting more polished so I think it wouldn't be too long now once they get the remaining assets finished, and do balancing and qa. Maybe within a month or two if we're lucky.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Based on how the latest Dev Diary was about music, I'd expect it in about a month. For most other PDX products, the music diary has come pretty close to the end.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

LordMune posted:

It's not coming out tomorrow.

In case anyone was wondering.

So long as it's out by the 15th so I can play it on yet another 10 hour flight I'll be happy.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
oh well a slow to come update means more loving around with mods before they are broken again :v:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cyrano4747 posted:

Any guesses on how long until the new expansion? I'm half thinking of starting a new game, but probably won't if the expansion will be out in less than a month.

If it's less than a month it will only just be less than a month.

This weeks diary is small changes, and then usually it's patch notes the week after, and then the DLC release the week after that, so that's three weeks at a minimum really.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Is there any way to bribe/threaten/force a federation member to declare war? I'm the federation president and an AE is about to annex a fallen empire right next to my border. I'd like to beat them to the punch but my idiot federation member won't agree to war. They're super friendly to me already so I know that isn't the issue.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

While you guys are waiting for the next patch to roll out, why not jump the gun and play some Victoria 3? It's got all the fun things you've always wanted in Vicky 3, like spaceships and anachronisms.

Seriously, the old-timey mod's finally done, come subscribe to it so my efforts weren't all in vain.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

What the heck do I do with tributaries that are too big to diplo-vassalize? I apparently have the option to declare war on them (which seems weird), but I'm not allowed to select the "vassalize" wargoal. There's only 3 empires (and 2 fallen empires) left that aren't my subjects, so it's really about time for me to start absorbing some of them.

Also, if I declare war on a tributary for something else (such as a Humiliate for some quick influence), will it break the subject-master relationship and set them free? There's all these different diplomatic relationships, but only the absolute minimum info (in-game or otherwise) about how they affect things (especially for the newer ones) and it's difficult to predict how things will interact sometimes as they're not always intuitive.

Found the answer to this on my own: if you go to war with a tributary and win, they remain your tributary. Although you can't vassalize a tributary, you can still force them to liberate or cede planets, and presumably just have to do that over and over again till they're small enough to diplo-vassal. Kinda sucks, if you ask me.

My new problem, now, is that the xenophobic Fallen Empire is letting my enemies colonize much closer to their borders than they had allowed me to, so my remaining rivals are busy snapping up a bunch of really good planets that the Fallen Empire wouldn't let me anywhere near! I'd be pretty annoyed if I wasn't already strong enough to take on the Fallen Empires; as soon as I finish consolidating my gains and absorbing my strongest subjects, they're next.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

canepazzo posted:

Do you guys know if there are any new wargoals planned?

I'd like a new wargoal that combines liberate+vassallize, at a higher cost, since you end up doing that anyway, to get a same-ethics vassal. I'd also like a wargoal where you can grab pops from the defeated empire (for populating your planets, for same-ethics pops, for better bonuses, for slaves, to recover your pops, as food...).

I would love that because of those annoying times you liberate a place and it's SLIGHTLY too far away so it won't let you vassalise it. And then eventually you have to go to war with it again. Jesus that's annoying.

I still wish there was a decent way of seeing what sort of fleets other civs have. I declared war on an Awakened Empire which was fighting someone else. It showed them as "Superior" to me in most areas. My 200k fleet sailed in with my +30% bonus damage against empires and my tonnes of fire rate bonuses and got chewed up by a 500k fleet. I wouldn't say that was superior! Maybe Overwhelming?
And that's kind of the end of the game when you're playing Ironman.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Nevets posted:

As long as cores disappear (or at least weaken) when you purge/expel all the original pops on the planet. I always looked at cores as being part foreign diplomatic acceptance of your historical hegemony, and part cultural ties with the populace which promote patriotic sentiment.

It's kind of hard to claim that Alspace-Lorraine always has been part of Space France & always will be when everyone who ever set foot there is now partially digested bio matter in the stomach of a xenomorph.

Fixing your egregious missed opportunity.

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

Taear posted:

I would love that because of those annoying times you liberate a place and it's SLIGHTLY too far away so it won't let you vassalise it. And then eventually you have to go to war with it again. Jesus that's annoying.

I still wish there was a decent way of seeing what sort of fleets other civs have. I declared war on an Awakened Empire which was fighting someone else. It showed them as "Superior" to me in most areas. My 200k fleet sailed in with my +30% bonus damage against empires and my tonnes of fire rate bonuses and got chewed up by a 500k fleet. I wouldn't say that was superior! Maybe Overwhelming?

If you just want intel, build, sieze or repair a sensor array to give you total vision of your opponents. Yes, it's a large investment, but so is throwing your fleet into the unknown.

If you don't have Utopia, just assume lategame 'Superior' is 2-300k more than you have, since it seems to work off a % based system of comparison.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Taear posted:

The bands on those judgments are really wide. IIRC, a fleet that's 30-50% bigger than yours can still be rated as "Equivalent".

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Question about leader levels:
I have a talented species under a Meritocracy, with Polytechnic Education, meaning my leadership spawn at 4 stars.

If I picked up Colonial Viceroys (+2 stars for governors), War Games (+2 stars for admirals), and potentially genemodded Erudite (Another star for everyone, plus research bonuses), are the stars in excess of five effectively lost, or is there a benefit to having seven stars worth of bonuses?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Main Paineframe posted:

The bands on those judgments are really wide. IIRC, a fleet that's 30-50% bigger than yours can still be rated as "Equivalent".

Yeah, the real lesson is to never go to war with anyone who is more than equivalent, and if possible only pick on people who are inferior.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Question about leader levels:
I have a talented species under a Meritocracy, with Polytechnic Education, meaning my leadership spawn at 4 stars.

If I picked up Colonial Viceroys (+2 stars for governors), War Games (+2 stars for admirals), and potentially genemodded Erudite (Another star for everyone, plus research bonuses), are the stars in excess of five effectively lost, or is there a benefit to having seven stars worth of bonuses?
Caps at 5 but it looks like that's changing in 1.8, but grabbing the traditions is still good as you can then reform your government and swap out the civic.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 23, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

Caps at 5 but it looks like that's changing in 1.8, but grabbing the traditions is still good as you can then reform your government and swap out the civic.

Yeah in 1.8 it looks like you'd start at 6 stars and then cap out at 10 basically wasting a star still.

That said a 10 star leader for longer might be worth it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kitchner posted:

Yeah in 1.8 it looks like you'd start at 6 stars and then cap out at 10 basically wasting a star still.

That said a 10 star leader for longer might be worth it
Did we get an official on the new stars? I was assuming they just went up to 10 so you could in theory go from 1 to 10 from pure experience, it's just they'd probably die first.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

Did we get an official on the new stars? I was assuming they just went up to 10 so you could in theory go from 1 to 10 from pure experience, it's just they'd probably die first.

From what I understand you start on 1 and you can get 4 from experience and then you stop (for a max level 5). Now though the cap is 10, so say your race is talented giving you one and your civic gives you one and a tradition gives you another one, you start on 4 (1 + 1 + 1 + 1) and can gain 4 from experience making 8 total.

This has the side effect of not making talented a trash trait, because it's not just +1 starting level that takes 5 minutes to get, but also +1 to level cap. Since a level 5 is still a level 5 a level 10 gets twice the bonuses, which is pretty rad.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Ofaloaf posted:

While you guys are waiting for the next patch to roll out, why not jump the gun and play some Victoria 3? It's got all the fun things you've always wanted in Vicky 3, like spaceships and anachronisms.

Seriously, the old-timey mod's finally done, come subscribe to it so my efforts weren't all in vain.

Given how awesome After The End is and I see visions of Dune (1984) in this, most definitely giving this a download.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Are there any popular starting location balance mods for multiplayer? It's kind of ridiculous when one person starts with 18 minerals in their home system while everyone else doesn't.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
While we're on the subject, any decent mods out there for expanding the scope of starter systems? There was one I saw on Steam that hadn't been updated in forever, but I couldn''t find anything recent. I sort of want to give the STL mod another whirl but want more to do in my starter system to compensate.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kitchner posted:

From what I understand you start on 1 and you can get 4 from experience and then you stop (for a max level 5). Now though the cap is 10, so say your race is talented giving you one and your civic gives you one and a tradition gives you another one, you start on 4 (1 + 1 + 1 + 1) and can gain 4 from experience making 8 total.
Has the bolded bit been confirmed anywhere? It'd make more sense to me (and make the faster xp gain traits better) if the levels gained by XP aren't capped.

Kitchner posted:

This has the side effect of not making talented a trash trait, because it's not just +1 starting level that takes 5 minutes to get, but also +1 to level cap. Since a level 5 is still a level 5 a level 10 gets twice the bonuses, which is pretty rad.
Could get a similarly good buff if trait etc. levels just didn't "count' as levels for determining xp cost. If all your guys start at level 3 it costs you the same to get to level 4 as it would cost someone else to get to 2.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I don't think that's really necessary. Starting at level 4 is still really good even if you have to pay the full XP cost to progress from 4-5. You get the full benefit of level 4 bonuses and don't spend a third of the leaders lifetime getting there. Starting at level 2 or 3 is definitely quite crappy but once you hit 4 the bonus is seriously strong. A quick early game way to hit level 4 leaders is talented combined with meritocracy and discovery traditions.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Per memory everything that currently increases base levels will be changed to increase maximum levels instead, so you always recruit leaders at level 1 and the maximum is based on your civics and unity picks. Hopefully XP gain and requirements will be modded as well but AFAIK there's been no word on that yet.

E. Just lost a run in a hilariously stupid way. "Hey I'll run a fanatic materialist species with repugnant! No way could that backfire!" - *completes The Flesh Is Weak* - (literally less than five minutes later) The Fallen Spiritualists greet you in pea-loving ROBOTS DIE :shepicide:

kvx687 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 24, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

Has the bolded bit been confirmed anywhere? It'd make more sense to me (and make the faster xp gain traits better) if the levels gained by XP aren't capped.

Could get a similarly good buff if trait etc. levels just didn't "count' as levels for determining xp cost. If all your guys start at level 3 it costs you the same to get to level 4 as it would cost someone else to get to 2.

That was my understanding from what Wiz said on the stream. He said like a big standard race would basically be the same as now, you start with level 1 leaders and can level up to level 5 whereupon you stop. However, traits and things that give + levels essentially get added on top of that, meaning that talented isn't just start at level 2, it's start at level 2 and max out at level 6.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kitchner posted:

That was my understanding from what Wiz said on the stream. He said like a big standard race would basically be the same as now, you start with level 1 leaders and can level up to level 5 whereupon you stop. However, traits and things that give + levels essentially get added on top of that, meaning that talented isn't just start at level 2, it's start at level 2 and max out at level 6.

No, they start at 1. Only max level is raised.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wiz posted:

What about the XP rates? I've been wanting to do a fleeting gimmick run but I've always felt that a bunch of traits could be combined. I think it'd be neat if growth rate traits were tied with maximum age.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Ofaloaf posted:

Needs the Congo Free State as Fanatical Purifiers.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wiz posted:

The odds of hitting 5 before you get genetic engineering or the bonus civic are pretty slim, so wouldn't this make taking the +levels as your base race trait or starter civic a bit of a trap option?

Demiurge4 posted:

What about the XP rates? I've been wanting to do a fleeting gimmick run but I've always felt that a bunch of traits could be combined. I think it'd be neat if growth rate traits were tied with maximum age.
I've been thinking about effortposting about how I would like it if all traits gave both leader and pop benefits (max age increases growth rate etc) but then I remember that nobody cares what I think.

But anyway, if all the max level increases also increased xp gain as standard then trap concerns withdrawn.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 24, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Wiz posted:

Oh, less good than I thought then.

Still better than +1 now though.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Splicer posted:

The odds of hitting 5 before you get genetic engineering or the bonus civic are pretty slim, so wouldn't this make taking the +levels as your base race trait or starter civic a bit of a trap option?
I've been thinking about effortposting about how I would like it if all traits gave both leader and pop benefits (max age increases growth rate etc) but then I remember that nobody cares what I think.

But anyway, if all the max level increases also increased xp gain as standard then trap concerns withdrawn.

Nonsense. I hit level 5+ on standard lifespan leaders all the time.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

For scientists the best way to train them quickly is assist research. Governors are really slow and there's not a great way to boost them except build lots of buildings but that's not super easy in the late game.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

So do I, and this change is excellent. However, it does have some other impacts that I assume you're going to balance:

- Venerable is no longer as strong, because it is a lot less valuable to have a leader stuck at 5 stars when ten are possible. I assume there will be multiple techs and perks that increase leader level capacity, but venerable will be less valuable than Talented plus Quick Learners as a consequence - which is half the cost. I would reduce it to 3 points as a minimum.
- Slow Learners probably should now be -2. It will represent a significant drag on your performance towards the endgame.
- Making anomaly studying proportionate to 10 stars rather than 5 would make the early game an exercise in frustration - especially as many failures kill the scientist involved. I assume you have not done this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wiz posted:

Assuming you mean it takes less than 40 years to hit 5 and more than 40 years to unlock genetic engineering or the final government tier, maybe my fondness for science rushing is skewing my data here. I'm phoneposting so I'm missing some preamble here but you're sacrificing important early game advantages for middling mid-game gains that there are multiple ways to pick up middle game anyway. The most straightforward example is philosopher kings vs cutthroat politics. If you take cutthroat politics and reform into philosopher kings as soon as your first leader hits 5 then all the influence after year 21 is pure profit, on top of the benefits of having had more influence on hand to invest during the intervening years.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 24, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah but there isn't a lot to spend the influence on early game. If you colonise the closest planets first (you should) you'll only be paying 30 influence for your first 4 colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah but there isn't a lot to spend the influence on early game. If you colonise the closest planets first (you should) you'll only be paying 30 influence for your first 4 colonies.
a) you're missing my point, +1 to cap only matters once you reach cap and by the time you reach cap you probably have other ways to up your cap.
b) dude, use more planetary edicts

• Locked thread