Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ads are usually 90secs so you hit plus 30 secs three times . It’s annoying tho yeah .

I know Apple is going to take away fast forward from the pod app soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Quoting myself from December regarding grocery stores tracking and possibly selling your information to everyone:

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I hate having an app for loving everything. Or an account for everything. McDonald's is pretty expensive now but goons will be like "yeah just use the app and you get free poo poo sometimes." No. All of those fast food apps are just data harvesting devices. gently caress you.

I went to the grocery store last week and got some cheaper not-behind-the-deli lunch meat. I haven't ever purchased Smithfield ham before but the day after I got it, and ever since, I started getting facebook ads for Smithfield meats.

Fuuuuuuckkkk..... youuuuuuuuu........

I don't know if it was just a coincidence but it was very noticeable.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm pretty chuffed with the large coffee and a donut for $2 thing at 7/11

all my ads are for tax appraisal contestation because TX is a dystopian hellscape

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

quote:

Museum of Science & Industry finally rebrands under Ken Griffin's name

The Museum of Science & Industry will be renamed to honor Ken Griffin, as originally promised five years after the Citadel founder announced he would donate a historic $125 million to the museum.

The cultural institution will be renamed the Kenneth C. Griffin Museum of Science & Industry on May 19, the museum said in a news release.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/nonprofits-philanthropy/museum-science-industry-rebrands-ken-griffins-name

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Yeah, no one is gonna call it that.

Speaking of which, I really need to go there again. I haven't been there since I was a kid for a field trip. And they have a u-boat there that I absolutely have to see. I love submarines!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if i was going to give a cool $125m to a science place i would definitely rename it to something cooler than my own name

like the Fantasmagorium Emporium of Science and Real-Life Wizardry

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

:yeah:

Sears Tower's still the Sears Tower you fucks

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Squiggle posted:

I’ll be dead in the cold cold ground before I call it the Cuomo Bridge

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Squiggle posted:

:agreed:

I don't even know what the new* name is lol.

*new as in like 20 years ago.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

teen witch posted:

TAPPANZEE
SEARS TOWER
BOSTON GARDEN

gently caress CHANGE in this specific instance unless they were named after imperialists or slaveowners

Denali is cool, good

I don't even know what the new* name is lol.

Don't worry it's named after a British reinsurance brokerage, so may you never learn it

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I hate it when companies buy and try to rebrand concert venues.

“Coming soon to the Consolidated Healthcare Associates Amphitheater!”

gently caress right off with that.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Speaking of which, I really need to go there again. I haven't been there since I was a kid for a field trip. And they have a u-boat there that I absolutely have to see. I love submarines!

The last time I went was in the mid-90s with some friends. We got lost walking there from our hotel because of a marathon blocking all the roads. We ended up in a neighborhood that had bars on all their windows. Walgreens looked like a military bunker. We found a taxi sitting on the road and the guy was eating lunch. We knocked on the window and his eyes went wide and told us "You can't be here, man. It's too dangerous, you gotta go." so we asked if he could take us to the museum. He did, and we were a LONG ways from the museum, and the neighborhoods we went through were abandoned and just completely run down.

The museum itself was like the ghetto we just drove through. Everything was falling apart. They had a display of batteries and how they came to be. The batteries in the display were covered in that white acid foam crap, and it had run down the backboard and ruined the entire display. The computer section had an old IBM XT and not much else. It was SO sad. The submarine and space stuff was pretty cool, though.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Squiggle posted:

I still get a good chuckle out of Acrisure buying naming rights to Heinze Field, there's no loving way anyone in Pittsburgh is going to call it anything other than Heinze until a new stadium is built.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

wash bucket posted:

I hate it when companies buy and try to rebrand concert venues.

“Coming soon to the Consolidated Healthcare Associates Amphitheater!”

gently caress right off with that.

civic center please....

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Note that this story was almost certainly made up by the advertisers trying to market their services, none of the information is verifiable other than one marketer's tall tale, and if you think about how people actually behave it sounds more and more bullshit.

Other ad experts have said the unsourced story has no grounding.

And applying any critical thinking, the story itself just doesn't make any sense on the face of it.

>The latest mailer from target arrives, including deals on all sorts of things like wine glasses and baby stuff

>the father opens it and starts reading it for deals on things

>seeing an ad for baby stuff mixed in with the other target ads, he quickly looks at the mailing address and realizes it was mailed to his daughter instead of at him

>he comes to the conclusion that the baby stuff, specifically, is targeted at his daughter based on some kind of advertising algorithm

>he runs into a physical target location to complain to the manager about this because?????????

>the manager decides to make a followup call to the psycho who came in person to the store and ranted about the advertisements he got in the mail

It is utterly implausible as a chain of events, with the contrived setup only existing to get the payoff of 'our product knows this girl better than her own father!!!!!!!!', with a side of 'people get upset at ads that are NOT targeted'.

Similarly, Coca Cola advertisers created the myth that their ads created the modern Santa. Their job is literally lying to the public about how good things are, of course they'll make this poo poo up.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tunicate posted:

…with a side of 'people get upset at ads that are NOT targeted'.

:rubby:

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Wood fill. I swear, I used to go buy the stuff from the store for nice projects since it tended to look better and give a nicer end result than just mixing up sawdust and wood glue and now it's cake crackly garbage. I DON'T GET IT IT'S JUST FIBER AND GLUE FIX IT

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

“Why aren’t ads tailored better to my interest?” I sigh as I open up repeated YouTube videos I don’t care to watch just to view advertisements.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I guess I have to give credit to that cartoonist for actually making a comic about marketing. If that were my job I’d kill myself before lunch.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

It feels so much more personal when a store ignores what I typed into the search bar and shows me poo poo I misclicked on in 2007.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Spotify for fucks sake I just wanted to listen to Car Talk while I cook and you open straight to this poo poo:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I used to work for a company that did a lot of e-commerce and digital marketing research and all of their research kept coming back with the conclusions that people absolutely love personalized shopping/advertising experiences and personably-written marketing mailing lists. On one hand I want to say it was just bullshit self-congradulatory stuff but on the other hand I think the average consumer is dumb as hell and loves being told what to spend their money on.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Possibly there is a difference between what people imagine a hypothetical "just show me stuff I am interested in" shopping experience might be vs. how it works in reality.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Also, like, if I choose to go to Slickdeals to look for deals, if that's personalized somehow then whatever, because I'm deliberately choosing to look at products I might want to buy and I'm not being interrupted in the middle of something else that I wanted to be doing instead.

It's like, OK advertisers, here's my 5 minutes of time I'm giving you today, show me what you got then go away.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Squiggle posted:

TAPPANZEE
SEARS TOWER
BOSTON GARDEN

gently caress CHANGE in this specific instance unless they were named after imperialists or slaveowners

Denali is cool, good

Don't worry it's named after a British reinsurance brokerage, so may you never learn it

Just lol at passionately defending the name honor of an ugly rear end building named after a lovely department store bankrupted by Eddie Lampert.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
12-packs of coke are now $10 at my local grocery store. I'm not buying them anymore. Not worth it.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Cerekk posted:

Just lol at passionately defending the name honor of an ugly rear end building named after a lovely department store bankrupted by Eddie Lampert.

Sears ruled. Could buy a house from Sears and it would come on a train.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Dirac Fourier posted:

12-packs of coke are now $10 at my local grocery store. I'm not buying them anymore. Not worth it.

A 12 pack of soda costs more than a 15 pack of lovely beer now so I guess you could try adding some sweeteners to that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
If you think Google's half-assed, lovely AI helpers in their search is bad now, don't worry... It'll be full-assed soon enough:

https://www.wsj.com/tech/ai/google-generative-ai-search-summaries-announcement-ffab4ce1

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Who says this, ever? Who the gently caress has EVER said, 'I sure wish my ad delivery was more personalized'. The guy who wrote this is huffing his own loving CMO-flavored farts.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Who says this, ever? Who the gently caress has EVER said, 'I sure wish my ad delivery was more personalized'. The guy who wrote this is huffing his own loving CMO-flavored farts.

It reminds me of that empty suit giving some kind of bullshit tech lecture talking about how he loves ads, he loves ads so much he has a notebook where he writes down all the good ad copy he sees on television. I wish I could remember where that was even from, because jesus christ I don't think I'd ever seen a more vacuous human. I think it might have been gaming related?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

DrBouvenstein posted:

If you think Google's half-assed, lovely AI helpers in their search is bad now, don't worry... It'll be full-assed soon enough:

https://www.wsj.com/tech/ai/google-generative-ai-search-summaries-announcement-ffab4ce1

To see whatever this is they want me to enable JS and disable my adblocker, and I'm not feeling it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Saganlives posted:

It reminds me of that empty suit giving some kind of bullshit tech lecture talking about how he loves ads, he loves ads so much he has a notebook where he writes down all the good ad copy he sees on television.

Maybe that was the first half of a knock knock style bit, you were supposed to ask to see it and he'd hand you a blank journal

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Who says this, ever? Who the gently caress has EVER said, 'I sure wish my ad delivery was more personalized'.

the same person who gathers the moral strength to look inward and ask "am I delivering enough value to the shareholders?"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

You do see people say "why the hell is [item] being advertised to me?" sometimes so I guess if you're utterly depraved you might interpret that as "I wish ads were more targeted."

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Dirac Fourier posted:

Great! Good for you.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Coke habits can get pricey

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

teen witch posted:

I know it’s the RFK bridge, but the best Calvin’s Dad parenting experience I had was telling the kids that I needed them to spell Triborough correctly RIGHT NOW OTHERWISE WE WILL GET LOST.

Great because they bought it for a little bit, then started laughing their little butts off because how do you get lost ON a bridge?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He's unusually self aware for a marketing guy, judging by the latest few

That said the site is 100% corporate attitude, each comic has a link to license it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Seems like one of those well meaning people whose milquetoast bullshit would burn off after three incredibly stress-filled busboy shifts