Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
I am going to be visiting Athens for two days with my grandfather this July before boarding a cruise, and I was wondering how accessible it is to get around the city and the main tourist sites. My grandfather is unable to walk up stairs of more than a few steps, but can walk 1-2 miles at a time with a walker if there aren't stairs involved. I presume we will want to get around by car, is Uber useable in Athens? If not, are there taxis that can be used easily? Additionally, is there anything we should know about visiting the Acropolis and the main museums accessibility wise? And finally, are there any other sites that would be good to see in Athens that can be reached without going up stairs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah there is Uber in Athens, but I think it’s only for taxis, there’s no UberX.

I haven’t been to Athens since 2018, but from memory it’s not the most accessible city. I wasn’t super paying attention, so maybe I’m wrong, but I seem to remember lots of stairs in the historic centre and around sights like the Acropolis.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

webmeister posted:

Yeah there is Uber in Athens, but I think it’s only for taxis, there’s no UberX.

I haven’t been to Athens since 2018, but from memory it’s not the most accessible city. I wasn’t super paying attention, so maybe I’m wrong, but I seem to remember lots of stairs in the historic centre and around sights like the Acropolis.

Yeah I went to Athens last summer, I didn't pay much attention either but I don't remember seeing a lot of accessibility-friendly installations, except maybe museums and such.
Best case scenario is that the big attractions have *something* installed because of EU-laws, though it may not be convenient.
Otherwise you can easily get around Athens with the metro, Taxis are also everywhere but the traffic is also really bad.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

smackfu posted:

It’s not really Europe but I don’t know the right thread: has anyone been to the Canary Islands? I saw it in passing in a documentary and it looked amazing but as an American it’s not someplace anyone I know has ever been.

I spent two weeks on Gran Canaria last autumn. It's stunning once you leave the cities (Las Palmas wasn't too bad, the south was resort hell). Highly recommend renting a car though, public transport exists but it won't get you to most of the good sights.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

greazeball posted:

Do you like fishing and camping? Then just enjoy that, IMHO. If you've got a tour guide who wants to show you a bunch of their favourite stuff then you're probably going to have a pretty good time. Pick a couple of things you want to do while you're there, see the Belgrade fortress and some cathedrals, go to a nightclub, whatever you're into, tell your host if they ask and otherwise just chill and let things happen. You're gonna live in a village for a month, enjoy it! If you have too many expectations, it can cause disappointment or frustration when things aren't what you want them to be. Plus you really don't know what things will be like there and you might really enjoy something you had no idea even existed before you got there. You'll always make a good impression by just showing up and saying "what's good? I'm easy, I'll do whatever you think is fun, thanks again for hosting me and showing me around!" and then maybe bring up the nightclub trip after a week of being a good guest.

According to my wife, who went with a friend to visit her family in the late 90s, she visited a lot of houses just to say hi to the neighbours and shoot the poo poo and at every one she got SBC: schnapps, beer, coffee. Always all three, always in that order, nobody leaves until they're done with coffee and there's nothing to do after that anyway so on to the next house. So good luck!

TYSM for the tips! Also yeah I noticed any time I hang out with Serbian friends here it's always coffee, beer, cigarettes, and whatever they have onhand to make you stay longer lol. In my experience swap the shnapps for beer or rakija (their version of moonshine). It's a little less anxiety inducing to view it as an extended family visit than this big tourist undertaking.

I'll definitely come back to the thread afterwards to mention if there's anything I think people should try when they visit. :)

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

MagpieConcept posted:

TYSM for the tips! Also yeah I noticed any time I hang out with Serbian friends here it's always coffee, beer, cigarettes, and whatever they have onhand to make you stay longer lol. In my experience swap the shnapps for beer or rakija (their version of moonshine). It's a little less anxiety inducing to view it as an extended family visit than this big tourist undertaking.

I'll definitely come back to the thread afterwards to mention if there's anything I think people should try when they visit. :)

My general travel advice is that if you know people in the place where you are going, they can almost always take better care of you than random people on the internet or anything that you could find yourself. I mean, it doesn't hurt to have an idea of what's interesting in the area, but most likely they will be happy to show you far cooler things and local experiences that you could not really replicate as an independent tourist.
This also goes for info about practicalities like to what extent you should know the language, what plug adapter to bring, or how the driving is (if they've ever been abroad so they have a reference for comparison).

There will definitely be plenty of rakija, they will also be happy to show that off most likely!

Canary Islands: Somehow I've never been there, but pretty much all of my friends have. My former boss goes there for months every winter.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 15, 2022

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CrypticFox posted:

I am going to be visiting Athens for two days with my grandfather this July before boarding a cruise, and I was wondering how accessible it is to get around the city and the main tourist sites. My grandfather is unable to walk up stairs of more than a few steps, but can walk 1-2 miles at a time with a walker if there aren't stairs involved. I presume we will want to get around by car, is Uber useable in Athens? If not, are there taxis that can be used easily? Additionally, is there anything we should know about visiting the Acropolis and the main museums accessibility wise? And finally, are there any other sites that would be good to see in Athens that can be reached without going up stairs?

The Acropolis is on top of a hill, and then you have to climb some stairs (big stone steps) to get there proper. I don't think you can avoid that last bit, either. The big Acropolis museum is very accessible and worth a visit.

I don't know where you and your grandfather are from, but keep in mind that Athens in July will be very warm, at least 30C and up to 40+. The city also suffers from air pollution so keep thay in mind.

I don't know Athens that well otherwise but it may be worth hanging out in the harbour at Piraeus for a bit, especially on a warm day.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ok, so France trip that got delayed is back on and I'm heading there in a few weeks. It's going to be really great to get back. I understand that the vaccine pass was just suspended - true? The app is easy so no big deal either way, but I'm wondering about that and mask rules so I can be prepared.

Also, anything particularly fun happening in Paris during Holy Week? We're catching an opera because we're into that, but we're looking for more evening stuff to do, specifically good concerts.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ok, so France trip that got delayed is back on and I'm heading there in a few weeks. It's going to be really great to get back. I understand that the vaccine pass was just suspended - true? The app is easy so no big deal either way, but I'm wondering about that and mask rules so I can be prepared.

Also, anything particularly fun happening in Paris during Holy Week? We're catching an opera because we're into that, but we're looking for more evening stuff to do, specifically good concerts.

Yeah since this Monday no more vaccine pass or mask mandates (except for hospitals, retirement homes...). We'll see for how long it goes, at least until the presidential election at the end of April I presume.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Thanks!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

MagpieConcept posted:

This is gonna be a weird one, but I'm going to Serbia in summer (extended family basically, my stepdad's covering the flight and all) but I've never been outside the US before. I know a tiny bit of Serbian (aka yes / no / do you speak english / where's the bathroom / gently caress you, only the important things) but I'm not really sure what to expect. I'll be staying in a fairly rural area but driving back and forth to Belgrade. Is there much to do there or anything I should check out while I'm in that area? I'll be there a month, late May thru June.

Otherwise I'm mostly just going fishing and camping with relatives. I guess I'm just not even sure where to start since I've never been to another country, let alone one that isn't really known for tourism.

Also this is obviously very dependent on State of World Crisis but I'm still curious even if trip is rescheduled.

Belgrade is known as a party place, with most of the action happening on the river. It's dirty, wild, congested, on a beautiful river. Still, a whole month in Serbia would IMO be a waste. I'd definitely visit one of the Mediterranean countries, and from Belgrade the most common options are Greece, Montenegro and Croatia.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Unfortunately I can't really travel outside of Serbia that month because of it being a big family thing but I may be able to convince a person or two from the group for a diversion to Greece for a week, lol.

Also the date got moved to be way sooner! I'm leaving on the 31st because some friends who can help translate are also leaving that day to visit family too. Exciting to go in spring, especially because I heard Serbian summers are brutal.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Yeah a week in Greece would be a good deal. Also, in case you're a minority, have in mind that Serbia isn't gay friendly, outside of select few places in major cities. It's also 100% white so if you're black or Asian (probably not if you have Serbian ancestry) you could be the first such person ever to visit that village. :O

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Besides that, I've spent some time in Valencia but I'm not sure I can check anything off your list. My favorite restaurant is an Argentine place in Russafa, Asador San Telmo. That's a cool neighborhood too.

Thanks, got a reservation tomorrow. We've been here for 4 days and it's fine, but it's like ... an off brand version of Barcelona. The climbing nearby is great, we went to Chulilla earlier and going to Xativa tomorrow, but the weather has been only OK - rained a fair amount today and Saturday - and the city runs out of distinctive stuff to do real fast. Like for the third biggest city in Spain after Madrid and Barcelona, it has like 1/10th as many things that got my attention. It's fine, I guess? On the plus side there's like no one here at any of the few tourist sites that they have, except for every now and then a massive group of 50 Cruise Shippers on an excursion.

The whole area near the beach is weird and kind of depressingly abandoned, maybe it comes to life in summer but it doesn't seem like it could become really hopping; huge swaths of the beachfront are ruined houses that were presumably dockworkers' houses in like 1950. Anyway I'm mainly here to hang out with friends but if I came as a "normal city trip tourist" I'd have been looking how to leave after 2 full days here. Now I see why I've never heard anyone talk about Valencia though!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah I didn't find Valencia super exciting either, though admittedly we were only there for I think 3 days.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

It's ok, I've mostly been with people who live there so I wasn't much of a tourist. I do remember the beach being hopping but that was almost 15 years ago now (:aaa:) plus I was quite stoned so I don't have much of a mental picture. Las Fallas in 2019 was pretty epic though. Saladman, I wonder if the city was in a bit of a lull the weekend after the biggest party of the year.

And yeah, the weather has been terrible all month up in Barcelona at least. Barely any days without rain.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I’m flying into Bergen, Norway in late August and will be in Norway for 10 days. I’d appreciate any recommendations. We haven’t planned anything yet—just got the tickets through points due to a nice transfer bonus.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I want to go to Europe and ride a train around. Is buying a one way ticket a bad idea? I would like to be flexible.

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 17, 2022

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Cheese Thief posted:

I want to go to Europe and ride a train around. Is buying a one way ticket a bad idea? I would like to be flexible.

When I moved here almost 20 years ago, you were required to show your ticket out before they let you in on a tourist visa. If that's still the case, just get a round trip flight that's cheap and changeable to somewhere with good rail connections and you can figure it out later or just buy a one way ticket home from wherever you stop. Buying two single tickets is usually a lot more expensive than a round trip so make sure to check those prices well before you decide. There are cheap flights within Europe (EasyJet, Ryanair, etc) that can get you back to where your international flight leaves from, but they have strict and expensive baggage requirements that you should also be aware of before you try and use them to just get back fast.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Yeah, it's way cheaper to buy a round-trip that has a flexible return date, and just change the return date & return airport. One-way transatlantic tickets are usually like ... 80% the price of a round-trip, and that's if you do a good job shopping around. That said I moved 13 years ago on a one-way ticket prior to getting my residence visa (i.e. I entered just as a normal tourist) and it was fine. I think one big difference between when Greazeball and I moved to Switzerland is that Switzerland joined Schengen in those 7 intervening years. My anecdote is also 13 years ago so uh, maybe get updated on that in the unlikely situation you buy a one-way ticket. Also keep in mind that as of 2023, Americans (& all other 'visa free' nationalities) need to get an online visa in advance before going to Europe.

For trains: they're cool for being flexible if you have a large budget, but in practice in many countries (Germany, France, ...) train tickets bought last-minute are like 2x the price of buying them a week or two in advance. Sometimes even less -- like Switzerland has half-price tickets if bought > 24 hours in advance. They're also pretty much always more expensive than flying (including luggage fees, getting to/from airport, etc) once your train ride is about 10 hours or more. If you're doing like 90 days "around Europe" then you'll probably want to fly a few times. If you're doing 90 days "around the Iberian peninsula" then yeah trains are awesome. Flixbus can also be a good option for getting around depending on what country you're in and going to.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Re trains you can get an interrail ticket or whatever the equivalent for American's is called. Do compare pricing to individual tickets but if you are taking the train a LOT it can make sense.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
The maths for interrail vs individual ticket cost is quite complex and depends on a million things, but a general rule of thumb is that in the German speaking world interrail is worth the money because seat reservations don't cost anything extra, while in France, Italy and Spain you have to pay extra for them (sometimes considerable extra) so it depends. Britain is out of interrail now I think but who would want to go there anyway

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Also worth noting that the poster is almost certainly not eligible for interrail, but would have to get eurrail instead. I haven't done the math in a long time, but I remember eurrail really only makes sense if you were doing the typical "American 20-something's first Eurotrip" itinerary, with like 3 days in Madrid, followed by 3 days in Barcelona, then 3 days in Paris, 3 days in Amsterdam, 3 days in Berlin, 3 days in Prague, then 3 days in Rome and fly out. The absolute whirlwind hell itineraries that leave people the week after they get back with a vague memory that they saw some churches and walked around some cities and about $4k poorer.

I haven't checked in a while but it's probably not price competitive with buying individual tickets (and almost certainly not price competitive with buying tickets a few days in advance) for most sane itineraries. Trains in Europe are great and super handy, but doing Ticket to Ride: Europe is not a fun vacation for anyone who's not train-obsessed, and having interrrail means people tend to end up doing dumb things like taking the train from like, Amsterdam to Rome over 20 hours, instead of taking the €20 RyanAir flight.

Some individual countries have passes which may be worth looking into.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The 3 day Swisspass worked out so our friends would need to be spending about 5 hours a day on trains, every day, for it to be a cost savings. The real benefit was convenience, because every single train/bus/boat/etc was included so they'd never have to do price comparison on the side of a mountain when they were all hiked out. It's a luxury for sure but could be worth considering.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Saladman posted:

having interrrail means people tend to end up doing dumb things like taking the train from like, Amsterdam to Rome over 20 hours, instead of taking the €20 RyanAir flight.

Hmm the thing is, that's actually smart in terms of us being able to travel while also having a continuing biological existence

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

You're just got to not do exactly the same journeys by train as you would by plane. Like that Amsterdam to Rome train trip takes you via some pretty cool cities (Paris, Lyon, Milan, Bologna, Florence), you could make that journey the holiday in itself! And while the passage through the Alps isn't Swiss level pretty train ride it isn't bad either

distortion park fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 18, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

distortion park posted:

You're just got to not do exactly the same journeys by train as you would by plane. Like that Amsterdam to Rome train trip takes you via some pretty cool cities (Paris, Lyon, Milan, Bologna, Florence), you could make that journey the holiday in itself! And while the passage through the Alps isn't Swiss level pretty train ride it isn't bad either

Yeah there are definitely cool ways to do it - but then interrail no longer is cheaper than buying the legs separately. Interrail is only a good deal if you do a stupid itinerary with a bunch of super long distance days very close together, unless they changed it within the last 10 years to make it a better deal, which I doubt. It can be more convenient but like the SwissPass its going to cost more than DIY unless you’re hardcore minmaxing your itinerary. Kind of like "all inclusive" drinks packages on cruise where it costs more money for the drinks paid separately unless you want to be blackout drunk every day.

Speaking of Eurotrips, I also just got back from a combined work+leisure Eurotrip from France Spain Italy Benelux Switzerland, and man what a confusing mishmash of COVID rules still exist. From the Netherlands, where I could walk around a major hospital without anyone wearing as much as a surgical mask, let alone COVID check, to Italy where you need an FFP-2 to take a bus with enforcement ranging from "no one gives a gently caress" Palermo to "strict checks" Rome. In one week in Italy we had our COVID pass checked to eat precisely one time. Spain on the other hand, everyone seemed personally super into masking up everywhere, with maybe 30% of people even wearing them while walking their dogs in the suburbs.

VVV: Yeah, its fine if you want to trade $ for convenience, but it seems to be marketed as like a money-saver.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 19, 2022

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

The thing about Interrail is that you get the privilege of changing your plans or improvising. Simply in terms of cost for a given route its indeed usually useless, but being able to change your plans and go the opposite direction for the same money instead of eating potentially hundreds of euros on new tickets is what you pay for. Like the last interrail I did we always picked the next city to go to only a couple of days in advance

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
It's very nice to have such good resources, with this thread and responses. I have a cousin in Copenhagan, I can make my central hub. Maybe an airplane ride to Rome. But trains around Switzerland and the Iberian countries. I know stories of pick-pockets at the airport, but my important documents would be had in a fanny pack/utility belt around my waist, and only an airplane approved backpack. I went to goon-meet Bangkok and other Thai districts and islands with only such packing. I've worked very long hours these past 10 months thus I can afford it, but might not in the future so I consider it a trip of a lifetime perhaps.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Pickpockets aren't especially common in Europe, and I'd be surprised if they were ever at airports. Central train stations, probably occasionally in some places, but e.g. not in Switzerland. Just leave your passport in your hotel room, and put it in your pants front pocket when you're going between places.

The only scams or petty crime I've ever heard of are people going up to single travellers and inviting them to go for drinks in a bar and winding up with €1000 champagne bottles purchased on their tab, and people asking for help buying groceries/food/basic home supplies, and then going to a minimart where the scammed person buys the scammer basic supplies, which are then immediately returned for pocket money for heroin. Pickpocketing maybe happens but it's certainly not common in Europe, to the extent I've never even heard a single anecdote of it happening.

Although I guess if someone looks like a clueless tourist—walking around with two backpacks, cargo shorts, and flip flops—they might be targeted proportionately more often.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
A fanny pack / utility belt is a great way to signal "I'm a nervous and clueless American tourist who just left their suburb for the first time, rob me". They are very exposed and very obvious. Pickpockets in the major tourist destination have become plenty adept at emptying them. If you insist on wearing one, don't put anything valuable in it, instead keep such things under your clothes or in an inner pocket.

I was pickpocketed once around the Amsterdam central train station before I lived there, so it is possible! It was in a dense crowd on new year's eve, though.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

I've known people who got purse snatched in Geneva and Paris (one was taken from a car while they were talking right next to it, the other was taken while she was sitting in a cafe) and another who caught someone trying to steal something from her backpack in Brussels. There were also a bunch of people trying some kind of "hey bro, can I have a hug?" scam in Geneva (Pacquis (red light) district) that I didn't choose to investigate. So poo poo like that does happen.

But, on the other hand, it doesn't happen a lot, and certainly not enough to do anything more than just not be a screamingly obvious mark, as other posters have recommended. Basically try and be aware of your surroundings, don't be too flashy and look like you know where you're going. You'll be fine basically everywhere with that advice. Just be prepared for public announcements about pickpockets on the Paris metro or wherever and DO NOT check your wallet when you hear it--it's a great way to signal you've got something worth stealing right in this very pocket.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Entropist posted:

A fanny pack / utility belt is a great way to signal "I'm a nervous and clueless American tourist who just left their suburb for the first time, rob me". They are very exposed and very obvious. Pickpockets in the major tourist destination have become plenty adept at emptying them. If you insist on wearing one, don't put anything valuable in it, instead keep such things under your clothes or in an inner pocket.

I was pickpocketed once around the Amsterdam central train station before I lived there, so it is possible! It was in a dense crowd on new year's eve, though.

Not American (but close enough) and I wore a money belt on my first trip to Europe (https://www.eaglecreek.com/products/silk-undercover-money-belt?variant=39788334448777). Fits comfortably under your shirt like mentioned above and is pretty discreet. Was more worried about keeping my personal effects and cash at my accommodations since I was hosteling.

Would definitely agree about not wearing a fanny pack. On a train from Naples to Pompeii I noticed (and chatted with) a couple of pickpockets clearly eyeing the tourists with fanny packs and the general look that Saladman mentioned, so at the very least try to avoid that look.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Barcelona is the pickpocketing/scamming capital of Europe. Everyone has a Barcelona story.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Wear the fanny pack over the shoulder instead of as a belt and you will just blend in as that’s an ongoing fashion trend :eng101:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Never been pickpocketed (even in Barcelona!) but then I don't hang our much in places where that might happen. If you're really paranoid, you could try one of those hidden money belts that goes under your shirt and keep everything but some pocket cash there. I used it a few times when in places like South Africa but ended up being more worried about it falling off or getting stabbed for its content.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Things like money belts were probably also more important historically, when it was actually necessary to have cash. I doubt I've walked around with more than $100-equivalent on me in years, except in countries with failed banking systems like Lebanon and Argentina, like I did use a money belt while walking around Buenos Aires with $1500 on me. No pickpocket actually wants your passport though, and I'm not even sure what people can do with a stolen phone anymore either. Contactless cards are for sure giving a good return for a pickpocket.

On that note, also don't bring US$ to exchange it in Europe, just use your card at an ATM. For long trips like yours, see with your bank about international use, both so it doesn't get blocked and so you don't pay like $5 every time you use an international ATM. Also go to a normal bank and use their ATM, don't use the free-standing ATMs you see at the airport and occasionally around towns in minimarts and stuff. Those "Euronet" ATMs are a borderline scam, with their like $6 transaction fee + horrific exchange rate.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Saladman posted:

Also go to a normal bank and use their ATM, don't use the free-standing ATMs you see at the airport and occasionally around towns in minimarts and stuff. Those "Euronet" ATMs are a borderline scam, with their like $6 transaction fee + horrific exchange rate.

Actually that’s a good point, be careful which machines you put your card in. The blue and yellow Euronet machines that infest tourist areas like herpes are absolutely a scam like quoted above, and a lot of banks aren’t much better.

As a general rule, look for machines labelled with whatever locals call a cash machine: telebanco, cajero etc. Anything labelled as an ATM is aimed at tourists and priced appropriately. Be aware of any machine offering GUARANTEED EXCHANGE RATES or giving scary sounding warnings about “unguaranteed rates”, again it’s just a scam to trick you into agreeing to a terrible rate. And of course don’t ever exchange money on the streets, especially in places like Prague.

The last thing I’d mention is that although pickpocketing exists, you’re much more likely to encounter dodgy cab drivers, places with unpriced menus that charge thousands for supermarket frozen food, or scammers who’ll give you a “friendship bracelet” that you can’t remove, and then charge 50 euros for.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I was just now talking with a German doctor who was doing weekend rounds this morning at work. He advised to fly in to Frankfort because it will be much cheaper than Copenhagen and just 6 hours away. He told me about driving on the Autobahn too, to stay in the right lane if you aren’t going very fast. That my American drivers license should be sufficient to rent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cheese Thief posted:

I was just now talking with a German doctor who was doing weekend rounds this morning at work. He advised to fly in to Frankfort because it will be much cheaper than Copenhagen and just 6 hours away. He told me about driving on the Autobahn too, to stay in the right lane if you aren’t going very fast. That my American drivers license should be sufficient to rent.

I don't see a question here so I guess I can just answer "yes" to about half of these things, but also "this person is an idiot" to the idea of flying into Frankfurt when your ultimate destination is Copenhagen.

If your destination is Copenhagen though, you should... just fly to Copenhagen :confused:. It's one of the busiest airports in Europe (and iirc the busiest airport in Scandinavia? or maybe that's Arlanda) and yes it'll be slightly more expensive to fly into than Frankfurt if you're coming from the US, but not dramatically so. And especially not enough to offset the cost of renting a car + paying for current outrageously huge gasoline prices.

Bear in mind, driving from Frankfurt to Copenhagen is also like a 9 hour trip. If that's where you're going, you'd be frankly extremely dumb not to just fly there directly.