Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

Also, my search for the two Balich books has been pretty fruitless, only finding ridiculously expensive copies online and none at any bookstores in my city. Are they really unavailable for any less than $50 a piece? If not, any chance I could pay someone in New Zealand to send me a reasonably priced copy? If so, what's a decent book which doesn't cost an arm and a leg everywhere?

Also I didnt say but fishpond.co.nz has one of them for $28, and you should check trademe.co.nz for second hand copies of either (its an auction site).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

quote:

@MattNippert: I see Slater accuses me of making up evidence of payments to him. http://t.co/uq9uXKQHJ0
Howd ya like dem apples? https://t.co/j0hSg02ZeR

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't link to whale oil...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

In fact, use donotlink if you must share whaleoil links.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Thi is kind of random but does anybody know how to make ghetto L&P or a close approximation from other stuff because gently caress paying £4 a can for it. Everyone seems convinced there is a magic recipe out there somewhere but nobody seems to know it.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Saros posted:

Thi is kind of random but does anybody know how to make ghetto L&P or a close approximation from other stuff because gently caress paying £4 a can for it. Everyone seems convinced there is a magic recipe out there somewhere but nobody seems to know it.

Can't help with that but I can give you a recipe for lolly cake made from all domestic UK ingredients. I invented it whole I was living on London

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

^^That would be great. I think I will experiment tonight with various combinations of Coke, Sprite, Mineral water, Lemon juice and bitter to see if it can be done.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Foodtruck chef guy tried to reverse engineer L&P and although he didn't make a big deal about it he wasn't using lemon as a major ingredient. The official story of lemon + mineral water would just taste like lemonade.

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

Also, my search for the two Balich books

Belich. :smuggo:

Ccccccombo quote:

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Can't we all just agree that everyone in this thread is an rear end in a top hat in their own special way?

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Saros posted:

^^That would be great. I think I will experiment tonight with various combinations of Coke, Sprite, Mineral water, Lemon juice and bitter to see if it can be done.

If you can find some easily, powdered citric acid will probably go a long way. When I first tasted L&P, it tasted to me like the powdered citric acid my family used to use in our restaurant's punchbowl recipe.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
You could always try sodastreAHAHAHAHAHAHa

HA

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WarpedNaba posted:

You could always try sodastreAHAHAHAHAHAHa

HA

Yeah if you wanna support a bunch of extremely racist zionists you could use sodastream.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Yeah if you wanna support a bunch of extremely racist zionists you could use sodastream.

Wait what

I was just joking that it tastes like poo poo

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

WarpedNaba posted:

Wait what

I was just joking that it tastes like poo poo

One of their main factories is built on illegally occupied land and, well, http://electronicintifada.net/content/sodastream-treats-us-slaves-says-palestinian-factory-worker/12441

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Yeah Scarlett got owned by fizzy water

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Guys GBS mentioned NZ in a thread title, flood it with bizarre slang and L&P references with no explanation as to what it is!

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Ugh I know little NZ English despite being born, residing and ultimately dying here

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Also I'm too busy watching the test match, as I am sure you are too Barons, lover of cricket

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why does cricket have the popularity that it does in the media? Putting aside that it's hopelessly boring and lame, I meet lots of people who enjoy watching rugby, football, basketball, hockey, motor racing, netball et al but I can count the number of people I've met who actually sit down and Watch The Cricket on the fingers of one hand. Where are you all and what do you do when you aren't sitting for six hours watching a bunch of guys in white stand around?

I just can't see the numbers, anecdotally, that lead to it's popularity in the news etc.

e: saying you 'like cricket' and being able to rattle off scores and names doesn't count if you don't actually sit there and watch the games.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
It's a bad sport for bad people and also hilariously corrupt.

At this point it's the Whose Line is it Anyway of sports, where everything's made up and the points don't matter.

Except it's not funny and takes a week to play.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Slavvy posted:

Why does cricket have the popularity that it does in the media? Putting aside that it's hopelessly boring and lame, I meet lots of people who enjoy watching rugby, football, basketball, hockey, motor racing, netball et al but I can count the number of people I've met who actually sit down and Watch The Cricket on the fingers of one hand. Where are you all and what do you do when you aren't sitting for six hours watching a bunch of guys in white stand around?

I just can't see the numbers, anecdotally, that lead to it's popularity in the news etc.

e: saying you 'like cricket' and being able to rattle off scores and names doesn't count if you don't actually sit there and watch the games.

Come and sit and watch it with me. We're digging in and going to see off those pesky sub continent folk

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

You're all wrong about cricket, you cunts.

Except for the corruption stuff. Its corrupt as all hell.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Williamson showered in glory

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Cricket is basically olde timey baseball for knobs to watch the peasants from the colonies swelter for their enjoyment.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slavvy posted:

Why does cricket have the popularity that it does in the media?
It's a sport that we were once world champions at. Us! The plucky little island punching above its weight!

It's part of our national myth, and it's the media's place to sell that myth because the myth sells.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

It's a sport that we were once world champions at. Us! The plucky little island punching above its weight!

It's part of our national myth, and it's the media's place to sell that myth because the myth sells.

We've never been world champions(we did win a minor one-day tournament once). It's probably getting a little more coverage now because we've started playing well.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I liked cricket even when we [country of nz] were poo poo :chord:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Come and sit and watch it with me. We're digging in and going to see off those pesky sub continent folk

I would if I could like sit and read a book and just glance up every time the crowd cheers.

Do peopl drink when they watch cricket? Or would that just get you completely hammered? The only sports I've ever watched with any dedication are motorsports so I'm genuinely curious.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Of course. You sit on the grass, drink beer and chat and then maybe watch the game if something important is happening. Books(or even your steam library for those inclined) are perfectly sensible to bring along. They even stop play so everyone can wander off for lunch.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ratios and Tendency posted:

We've never been world champions(we did win a minor one-day tournament once).
That's even funnier.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Softballs a much better sport and we're actually really really good at it, like we've won the world championship more than any other country but literally no one knows this or cares

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

swampland posted:

Softballs a much better sport and we're actually really really good at it, like we've won the world championship more than any other country but literally no one knows this or cares

Does Australia play? Are they good? Can we best them at it?
These are the important questions in sport.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yes, no, no.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Come on it's actually Yes, No, Yes. Being better than the US at it is actually the true prize though but it's probably just cause they think it's a girl's version of baseball tbh

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I would if I could like sit and read a book and just glance up every time the crowd cheers.

Do peopl drink when they watch cricket? Or would that just get you completely hammered? The only sports I've ever watched with any dedication are motorsports so I'm genuinely curious.

The sport was turned into a 5 day affair so aristocrats could sit around and get drunk. It's literally designed to allow you to get hammered for an entire week.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
cricket is bad and boring so it appeals to boring idiot nzers

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Rugby's the only sport popular enough and lovely enough to bother railing against.(in NZ)

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 7, 2015

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Rugby's the only sport popular enough and lovely enough to bother railing against.

Cricket is the second most watched/played sport in the world, no one gives a poo poo about rugby.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

bobbilljim posted:

cricket is bad and boring so it appeals to boring idiot nzers

gently caress yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Cricket is the second most watched/played sport in the world, no one gives a poo poo about rugby.

I wanted to ask how this can possibly be true then I remembered India.

Hopefully once their socio-economic situation comes right they'll graduate to normal sports where poo poo actually happens in a timely manner.

• Locked thread