Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lithium is ubiquitous. It can be extracted from sea water if necessary.

The only issue is the cost. Cheap lithium sources aren't common, but the element itself is fairly easy to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Near lithium equivalent batteries also exist and are currently in scaled up mass production. They are already pretty widespread and often just get referred to as “lithium“ even if they aren’t lithium. They’re also getting shipped under the lithium UN numbers because regulation is lagging the technology.

Edit:

And there are a bunch of lithium batteries types that’s all get called Li-ion that use more or less lithium with other metals.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 13, 2024

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hadlock posted:

What is the, uh, recyclability, or uh, lithium reclaim rate of recycled batteries
Roughly 95% or so of all materials in a lithium ion battery can be recycled. I’d expect the lithium recovery rate to be close to 100%.

Edit: looking at it a bit more, the recovery rate for Lithium is currently around 90%.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 13, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hadlock posted:

don't need to worry about global politics and alignment etc

uhhh

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Near lithium equivalent batteries also exist and are currently in scaled up mass production. They are already pretty widespread and often just get referred to as “lithium“ even if they aren’t lithium. They’re also getting shipped under the lithium UN numbers because regulation is lagging the technology.

Edit:

And there are a bunch of lithium batteries types that’s all get called Li-ion that use more or less lithium with other metals.

Ah, yes fair point, sodium ion batteries have started going in to some EV cars where absolute performance isn't needed. And yeah sodium makes up a very measurable fraction of sea water

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

For applications where weight and volume aren't a big concern, you can get stable Fe-based batteries that don't like to fail spectacularly the way other chemistry does. Bunch of startups working on the tech from different angles. And they're real cheap apparently.

So if lithium gets expensive at some point, it'll definitely be outcompeted in certain applications using just stuff we have today.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
GridStatus has a blog post talking about this year's changes in CAISO (California), some of the info is a re-hash of what we've talked about recently but a few items were new to me.

https://blog.gridstatus.io/caiso-batteries-apr-2024/

I'm going to be summarizing pretty heavily and shamelessly as always:

First of all the April YoY storage history graph, showing 2024 has doubled 2023 with this anti-duck curve:

Here's the corresponding NG graph, showing the duck head gone this April:

(I'm sure it'll reappear in coming months, there isn't enough BESS yet to carry a summer afternoon, and summer heat lowers solar production)

Since evenings are no longer an all-hands-on-deck scramble, more NG producers are able to go offline instead of selling into negative pricing and just participate in the cold-capacity market:

quote:

Because gas is no longer needed as much in the mornings/evenings, the amount held online during uneconomic midday conditions in preparation for evening solar down ramps can be reduced.

Here's where things started getting interesting to me. They stacked the last seven years of solar, showing two historical plateaus of growth and now a new plateau we've broken into, presumably due to BESS soaking up power that is no longer curtailed:

They also did a YoY comparison of solar, storage, and NG, showing that the storage gains are mirroring NG losses:

(note that NG fuel prices are more than halved this year compared to last, so that ain’t it)

Moving to hydropower, the glut of negative pricing in mid-day is moving dams to be more complementary to solar, as they drop their mid-day output more than before:

(an aside: last year was incredibly wet, at least from my view on top of the Divide, and I wonder if 2023 output wasn't more about keeping res levels down)

Finally moving to interchange, one outlier with the narrative above is that imports are up, and exports are down. The latter is due to storage soaking up excess solar, but the former is surprising:

The blog author thinks it's probably due to NG producers going fully cold since they're not needed for afternoon peaks:

quote:

This suggests that the overall shift down in natural gas generators held online in CAISO to deal with ramping issues may have contributed to an increase in off-peak imports.

Lastly, behind-the-meter solar growth is down in California, which shouldn't surprise anyone following NEM 3.0.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 16, 2024

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

California exceeds 100% of energy demand with renewables over a record 30 days
https://electrek.co/2024/05/21/renewables-met-100-percent-california-energy-demand-30-days/

In a major clean energy benchmark, wind, solar, and hydro exceeded 100% of demand on California’s main grid for 69 of the past 75 days.

https://x.com/mzjacobson/status/1792929817576325470

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
My whole life I've been told "we will always need baseload" and welp

EDIT: vvv I took "baseload" to mean continuous (maybe even constant) power production. I'm not sure if it's a term that's formally defined anywhere, but if you sub "full-capacity power production" or something like that in my post you see what I'm getting at. CAISO is starting to have trouble with inflexible power producers.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 22, 2024

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ulf posted:

And it is still accurate. That demand line isn't being met outside of peak solar hours, and battery capacity isn't shifting the excess capacity to cover that demand.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

And it is still accurate. That demand line isn't being met outside of peak solar hours, and battery capacity isn't shifting the excess capacity to cover that demand.

Am I reading that right that mid day electricity demand is the daily minimum?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

karthun posted:

Yeah that's how I read it, which isn't exactly a huge achievement.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Ulf posted:

EDIT: vvv I took "baseload" to mean continuous (maybe even constant) power production. I'm not sure if it's a term that's formally defined anywhere, but if you sub "full-capacity power production" or something like that in my post you see what I'm getting at. CAISO is starting to have trouble with inflexible power producers.

Are you German or some nonsense?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Ulf posted:

its one of those words like "literally" where over time it got used wrong by so many more people who didn't know what it meant that popularity won and now the wrong definition is the colloquially used one

to wit:

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MightyBigMinus posted:

its one of those words like "literally" where over time it got used wrong by so many more people who didn't know what it meant that popularity won and now the wrong definition is the colloquially used one

to wit:

Are you saying that poster is wrong, if so, how so, what is wrong with their definition?

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

karthun posted:

Yes, it’s been the case for a few months in the CAISO (California) market. On a typical day this month at mid-day the spot price for electricity goes negative, renewable generation is curtailed, and as much as 30% of the state’s generation is exported to the PNW, Nevada, Arizona, Utah.

This isn’t expected to continue through summer/winter, at least not yet. It’s being seen in spring due to abundant sunshine, low temps (increases PV yields), and low A/C demands.

Groda posted:

Are you German or some nonsense?

No, I just didn’t do a great job of researching or expressing my thoughts.

There are two definitions of “base load”. One is the minimum load on a grid (it’s contextual whether that is daily, seasonally, yearly, …). The other is as a colloquialism for “base load producer” which is a power plant with low costs, and almost necessarily inflexible power output.

For the last century we’ve designed power production around both of these concepts. With CAISO renewables exceeding grid demand almost daily, I’d argue both are becoming outdated in regards to energy policy.

That’s all that I meant by my flippant remark (though specifically I was referring to base load power plants).

Ulf fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
To put it another way, here's the spot prices for electricity in NorCal last Sunday (SoCal and ZP were almost identical, as well):

This is a cherry-picked example, in that it's the most negatively priced day in the past week. I could see this being a typical day next spring, though.

I’m not some bright-eyed zealot who thinks we can do everything with renewables and storage (…yet?). I just think that the California market is going to price out fuel-based producers that can’t ramp output to meet demand.

Ulf fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 23, 2024