Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I've never really gotten into to fantasy but my cousin twisted my arm to read The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance and holy hell these are excellent. Until Oathbringer is released, any suggestions that are not A Song of Ice and Fire or doesn't petter off in quality later in the series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
If you like those, go read more Sanderson. I haven't read much by him, but from what I've heard his books are pretty consistently decent across the board. Some people hate his style, but if you liked those, then you like his style

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

gohmak posted:

I've never really gotten into to fantasy but my cousin twisted my arm to read The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance and holy hell these are excellent. Until Oathbringer is released, any suggestions that are not A Song of Ice and Fire or doesn't petter off in quality later in the series?

In celebration of its sequel dropping today allow me to recommend City of Stairs!

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

anilEhilated posted:

Anyway I agree about it being episodic stories - and that's in fact my main issue with it. Abaddon's Gate and this one are not very good as self-contained stories; they feel like they are only there to move the overarching plot a bit - we need to build the space teleports, we need to blow up the Earth and steal the molecule but they aren't engaging on their own. Nemesis Games doesn't even provide any sorts of closure for its own story arc. It's like they had a set of events they needed to happen and tried to fit them into a story. I'm still going to read the next book but this one was definitely one of the weakest in the series.
Oh well, City of Blades is next and I'm looking forward to that one.

Well, at least the characters react in a somehow logical way. In Abaddon's Gate there are a lot of absurd and illogical actions all over the book, and that's perhaps the cause I dislike that one in particular. Come on, you are near the biggest misterious gizmo in mankind history, having watched what the protostuff did in Eros and Venus, and knowing what happened to that belter in the "Y Que" ship, and you go thru the ring carrying a lot of VIPs into an uncharted and dangerous territory, just because there was some action going after Holden; and the MRCN marines, depicted as highly trained and professional, go into panic mode after entering an alien construct to arrest Holden, instead of simply taking the Roci and waiting for him to come out....

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to think that one was the ship's captain realizing he can bring the solar system a step closer to secular humanism. I mean, when it comes to sending civilians to uncharted, unexplored and probably very deadly areas, it's either priests or insurance salesmen.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Nemesis Games owns because it finally gives the characters personalities, and because it finally calls both the characters and the setting to account for all the simmering tensions they've been ignoring. Instead of talk about what might happen, maybe, in an abstract sense, poo poo actually goes down. The sociopolitical inequities, secret pasts, and military tensions of the setting and cast reify into apocalyptic oh-poo poo consequences.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

gohmak posted:

Have you heard the good news about our lord and Traitor Baru Cormorant?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Nemesis Games owns because it finally gives the characters personalities, and because it finally calls both the characters and the setting to account for all the simmering tensions they've been ignoring. Instead of talk about what might happen, maybe, in an abstract sense, poo poo actually goes down. The sociopolitical inequities, secret pasts, and military tensions of the setting and cast reify into apocalyptic oh-poo poo consequences.

I think I didn't like Nemesis Games precisely because it felt like an info dump after years of neglect by the previous novels. Maybe that's not a fair criticism :shrug:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My biggest disappointment with Nemesis Games was the new long term villain they set up. Marco features every cheesy Hollywood psychopath stereotype in the book. Ridiculously competent, misjudges nothing, behaves like an rear end in a top hat but only his enemies mind. I can kind of see it if Avasarala and friends are right in saying 'who is this nobody and how did he slip the net?', but if it turns out he actually is just better than everyone then :jerkbag:

I guess it annoys me more because these are the guys who wrote Amos, who I think is a really well done character that has a 'villain-designated mental illness' without it turning into some kind of superpower.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That's a totally fair criticism. It absolutely could have been Book 3. What happened in Abaddon/Cibola that really mattered? Some progress and foreshadowing on the protomolecule metaplot, but nothing worth two books.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

My biggest disappointment with Nemesis Games was the new long term villain they set up. Marco features every cheesy Hollywood psychopath stereotype in the book. Ridiculously competent, misjudges nothing, behaves like an rear end in a top hat but only his enemies mind. I can kind of see it if Avasarala and friends are right in saying 'who is this nobody and how did he slip the net?', but if it turns out he actually is just better than everyone then :jerkbag:

I guess it annoys me more because these are the guys who wrote Amos, who I think is a really well done character that has a 'villain-designated mental illness' without it turning into some kind of superpower.

I'm hoping he's exactly what the ending made him out to be, a cats paw for the real masterminds on Mars. Otherwise yeah.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I just finished Baru Cormorant last night. Thank you thread for recommending it and thank you General Battuta for writing it! I think it might be the best book I've read this year!

Seriously though, it was really good in really unexpected ways. The hints, man, the hints.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

General Battuta posted:

I'm hoping he's exactly what the ending made him out to be, a cats paw for the real masterminds on Mars. Otherwise yeah.

According to that ending, those masterminds on Mars are really puppets controlled by some surviving sociopaths from Protogen/Mao, but yeah. I also think Marco is too cartoonish. The bad guy in Cibola is much better.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

CaptainCrunch posted:

Seriously though, it was really good in really unexpected ways. The hints, man, the hints.

Tell me what hints you picked up on! I'm still hard at work on the sequel so if there's anything you really liked it might stir me to throw more narrative budget behind it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

General Battuta posted:

Tell me what hints you picked up on! I'm still hard at work on the sequel so if there's anything you really liked it might stir me to throw more narrative budget behind it.

IHNJ, IJLS "narrative budget".

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

You may have no joke, but I do, the joke is my inability to write a first act under a hundred thousand words :(

Also I just started The Folding Knife, my first KJ Parker. I assume everyone is going to continue to be as much of an rear end in a top hat as they are in the first fifty pages.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

gohmak posted:

If you like Stormlight you'll probably like his earlier Mistborn series. It takes place in a fantasy world 1000 years after the "Hero of the Ages" saved the world from a great disaster.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

General Battuta posted:

holy poo poo. I have not read the book yet but now I reaaaaally need to.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Could Baru spend a few pages laughing and playing with a puppy?

Also don't kill the puppy.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Please put a Bas-Lag reference in, Battuta, I don't care how obscure/veiled :allears:

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?

General Battuta posted:

You may have no joke, but I do, the joke is my inability to write a first act under a hundred thousand words :(

Also I just started The Folding Knife, my first KJ Parker. I assume everyone is going to continue to be as much of an rear end in a top hat as they are in the first fifty pages.

KJ Parker is definitely the best person to read when you're depressed. Everyone gets screwed over, no one gets what they want. Killing everyone off like GOT is one thing, his character's fates are usually more tortuous.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

Could Baru spend a few pages laughing and playing with a puppy?

Also don't kill the puppy.

Hard mode: don't have the puppy be part of anyone's Master Plan.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Hard mode: don't have the puppy be part of anyone's Master Plan.

And not a sad puppy.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kesper North posted:

And not a sad puppy.

But put it in early. So we wonder about the significance of that puppy for the rest of the damned book.

Twist: It was just a puppy. A wriggly, joyous puppy that actually makes her smile.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

flosofl posted:

But put it in early. So we wonder about the significance of that puppy for the rest of the damned book.

If a puppy appears in the first act, it must poop on the carpet in the third.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Puppy spoilers: It's a failed experiment to make adorable dogs Clarified. Puppy responds only to pets and treats.

General Battuta, you can go ahead and just give me credit in the thanks section.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been reading Baru Cormorant for the last couple of weeks under the mistaken impression that it was a sci-fi novel

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

I've been reading Baru Cormorant for the last couple of weeks under the mistaken impression that it was a sci-fi novel

it is, kinda

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

andrew smash posted:

it is, kinda

It does take place in an alternate universe where women are naturally good at math, after all.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I'm about a 3rd of the way through after picking it up from Amazon and I agree with whatever sentiments have been shared, good book so far General Buttaco.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Steely Glint posted:

It does take place in an alternate universe where women are naturally good at math, after all.

hilarious

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Steely Glint posted:

Yeah, some of it was nonsense and the "bad" guys had a few good if underdeveloped ideas, but it was still an excellent book.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Thankfully nobody I know has actually taken the Masquerade's pseudoscience at face value.

Also, the term I use to describe it to people is mundane fantasy. It works well enough.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah, uh, if it's not clear Steely Glint is riffing on the joke someone made earlier in the thread about taking the gender ideology at face value (instead of as, well, ideology).

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I can totally see a review along the lines of "A thought provoking read where a stern but benevolent empire is undermined by an ungrateful foreigner..." :trump:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

I haven't read that one but if it's anything like his other books, yeah. Parker is all about characters you love to hate. Or like despite them being total monsters.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

I actually bought it under the impression that Baru's planet would be annexed by a space empire and she was going to end up as a sector governor or something.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Darkrenown posted:

I actually bought it under the impression that Baru's planet would be annexed by a space empire and she was going to end up as a sector governor or something.

I actually thought this as well and realized like 30% in that it wasn't going that way

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

angel opportunity posted:

I actually thought this as well and realized like 30% in that it wasn't going that way
They're grooming her to lead their war against the Buggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

chrisoya posted:

They're grooming her to lead their war against the Buggers.
That's really what they're called in the original? Card wasn't ever to Britain, was he.