Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Lone_Strider posted:

why is systemd so polarizing? all the counterarguments seem to be that it "does too much" and "its not the unix way" and that gets linux nerds really riled up despite the fact that it's p good at what it does?

idiot nerd tribalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lone_Strider posted:

why is systemd so polarizing? all the counterarguments seem to be that it "does too much" and "its not the unix way" and that gets linux nerds really riled up despite the fact that it's p good at what it does?

If by "riled up" you mean "send death threats to the creator." Then yes, lovely nerds who are lovely at Linux get way to angry at their lovely thing getting replaced.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

If by "riled up" you mean "send death threats to the creator." Then yes, lovely nerds who are lovely at Linux get way to angry at their lovely thing getting replaced.

I thought there might have been some valid criticism but jfc

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Here's how I determine if something is cool and good:

CentOS defaults to it? Cool and good : Look into it
Ubuntu replaced it with their own version? Uncool and bad : Look into it

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lone_Strider posted:

i find it easier to look at /etc/init.d when i'm trying to figure out what should be running and how it's running and so on. i have to type "chkconfig" to make the system tell me what the command is to list services

after a number of years with systemd, i'm sure i'll get similarly familiar with it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
why does rhel7.2 create a virbr0 network that completely fucks its local networking

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

i find it easier to look at /etc/init.d when i'm trying to figure out what should be running and how it's running and so on. i have to type "chkconfig" to make the system tell me what the command is to list services

after a number of years with systemd, i'm sure i'll get similarly familiar with it

/etc/init.d was already a lie

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
also, if you run "sudo system httpd start" and something goes wrong, you see the error message right there. it's super useful

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
protip: the sudo part is unnecessary

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

Here's how I determine if something is cool and good:

CentOS defaults to it? Cool and good : Look into it
Ubuntu replaced it with their own version? Uncool and bad : Look into it

CentOS is good too

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
FreeBSD is good and doesn't have systemd

because it's just going to use launchd rather than a clone

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

graph posted:

why does rhel7.2 create a virbr0 network that completely fucks its local networking

because someone thought it was a good idea to include kvm virtualization in the release by default

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

graph posted:

it's virtualization. Type the following to stop it now:

sudo virsh net-destroy default

Type the following to stop it happening in the future (I think... phone posting and not able to check now):

sudo virsh net-autostart default --disable

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
yeah just go right ahead and run this command containing "destroy" as root, it's normal and will actually fix your computer.

Linux

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

yeah just go right ahead and run this command containing "destroy" as root, it's normal and will actually fix your computer.

Linux

Server OS has server commands. News at 11, water wet, atomicthumbs retarded.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

celeron 300a posted:

it's virtualization. Type the following to stop it now:

sudo virsh net-destroy default

Type the following to stop it happening in the future (I think... phone posting and not able to check now):

sudo virsh net-autostart default --disable

thanks for replying :) i did something similar and it just hosed the networking into oblivion

and yes this is a rhel7.2 vm

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

graph posted:

thanks for replying :) i did something similar and it just hosed the networking into oblivion

and yes this is a rhel7.2 vm

No prob!

That network is used by your host's VM guests to reach the physical network, so if you are actually running VMs, you will want to leave it alone (or use hostdev network devices). To bring it back, just re-run autostart without the "--disable" and reboot.

You can change its addressing crap by typing:

sudo virsh net-edit default

search and replace the 122 everywhere. If you need a gui, use virt-manager.

celeron 300a fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 9, 2016

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Lone_Strider posted:

I thought there might have been some valid criticism but jfc

there is some valid criticism because lennart gotta lennart. however 99% of the "criticism" of systemd you will find is just nerds shaking with rage bc they cant janitor how their computer boots by writing bash anymore

(iirc they actually still can if they really want to)

(not that they ever could or would, the more fanatical the hatred the less likely it is the source has ever janitored a computer at that level)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Suspicious Dish posted:

/etc/init.d was already a lie

speaking of /etc fuckery, /etc/sysconfig is truly amazing these days

(i'm the three copies of each ifcfg-<interface> script in three different paths under /etc/sysconfig/network, hardlinked to each other)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
lennart's next goal is to destroy /etc

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

lennart's next goal is to destroy /etc

:woop:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
its something that would make literally all the people angry but after /usr merge we now have:

/usr - os as shipped by vendor
/etc - admin and vendor-specific overrides
/var - semi-permanent runtime state
/run - volatile runtime state

which is super neato and is really cool and kind of maybe matches what a grown up, well-designed os would do

but then you run into garbage like /etc/nsswitch.conf

the current idea is to just have /usr/etc and have symlinks or hardlinks to it for edge cases like that

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
countdown until all the sysadmin unix questions on stackexchange become literally obsolete

it's like seeing those "master windows 98 in 24 hours" books at the local fry's

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

celeron 300a posted:

countdown until all the sysadmin unix questions on stackexchange become literally obsolete

it's like seeing those "master windows 98 in 24 hours" books at the local fry's

now ask yourself why all those sysadmins hate systemd

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
So then I would configure my webserver or SSH daemon or skeleton files or whatever in /usr/etc instead of /etc? What's the benefit?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
no, /etc/ would still be for environment and admin overrides and such

the idea is that static files like /etc/nsswitch.conf which are fundamentally part of the os configuration would be in /usr, where they can be updated atomically to a new os release when need be

right now /etc/ is a garbage heap of "per environment" stuff and "per os stuff" with no distinction between the two

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Suspicious Dish posted:

no, /etc/ would still be for environment and admin overrides and such

the idea is that static files like /etc/nsswitch.conf which are fundamentally part of the os configuration would be in /usr, where they can be updated atomically to a new os release when need be

right now /etc/ is a garbage heap of "per environment" stuff and "per os stuff" with no distinction between the two

nsswitch still gets changed by admins for stuff like using ldap to resolve users and groups.

this sounds like someone is going to replace nsswitch with some horrorshow like resolvconf.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
imagine if all that kind of stuff was in a database maintained by some sort of system management framework…

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

now imagine that database was in XML using the most idiotic of schemas...

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

celeron 300a posted:

nsswitch still gets changed by admins for stuff like using ldap to resolve users and groups.

this sounds like someone is going to replace nsswitch with some horrorshow like resolvconf.

It's almost like we should have both an OS default and an admin override so we don't need to run a merge on your config files at upgrade time.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ratbert90 posted:

Linux isn't a server OS. Microsoft Windows and Unix are server OSs. Linux is a clone of a clone of a clone made in a Finnish nerd's basement and is in no way production-ready.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's almost like we should have both an OS default and an admin override so we don't need to run a merge on your config files at upgrade time.

yes please

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ya the empty-by-default /etc thing is cool and would have made my openembedded fuckingaround a bit easier

most things lennart does are cool but you do have to keep an eye on him regardless or you might wake up one day with brtfs forced down your throat and no say in the matter

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

Linux isn't a server OS. Microsoft Windows and Unix are server OSs. Linux is a clone of a clone of a clone made in a Finnish nerd's basement and is in no way production-ready.

Agreed, we all need to use BeOS.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Suspicious Dish posted:

:woop:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

btrfs is actually the sound it makes when you shove systemd down a neckbeard's throat

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Welcome to butt erfs

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Actually btrfs is, in fact, bad, and violates the end to end principle.

Maybe systemd does too but that doesnt change the fact that it's a gently caress of a lot better than anything that came before. The same is not true of btrfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Mr Dog posted:

Actually btrfs is, in fact, bad, and violates the end to end principle.

how?