Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Work Friend Keven posted:

This is a photoshop btw.

Yea there's a distinct possibility it was drawn entirely in photoshop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So I thought that Shigaraki's comment in the bottom center panel implied some kind of creation quirk, but maybe I misinterpreted that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is a photoshop btw.

Let's spend a couple pages mulling on it to be sure.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Green Intern posted:

So I thought that Shigaraki's comment in the bottom center panel implied some kind of creation quirk, but maybe I misinterpreted that.

My interpretation was that someone was using a cloaking quirk to hide the rest of the gang.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Green Intern posted:

Another translation says that it's likely that they followed him using a quirk.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MonsterEnvy posted:

Another translation says that it's likely that they followed him using a quirk.

Conviniant that Kurogiri happened to not be there with the VA.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gyges posted:

Conviniant that Kurogiri happened to not be there with the VA.

Indeed. That's plausible; maybe All for One had some general ideas planned out with Kurogiri to help continue Shigaraki's growth.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

The common cop-out in this sort of situation is for him to realize the error of his ways and sacrifice himself for the greater good in some situation. This allows the character to be "redeemed" without needing to tackle the hairy questions of "but he's committed a bunch of terrible crimes and still needs to be punished."

That sounds like Freezing which is one if the most god awful worst mangas I've read and I'm only mentioning it because that arc was so bad and did this and basically caused me to vomit blood.

It's really bad. This on the other hand, is a good manga.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh god Freezing.

Did Freezing end up on hiatus like every single one of Im Dal-yeong's comics or is it still going on?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I kinda stopped reading after that arc to be quite honest.

I hate myself, but not quite that much.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The common cop-out in this sort of situation is for him to realize the error of his ways and sacrifice himself for the greater good in some situation. This allows the character to be "redeemed" without needing to tackle the hairy questions of "but he's committed a bunch of terrible crimes and still needs to be punished."

But he's the coolest guy.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
What crimes has he even actually done. A lot of public rudeness and hanging in a bar even though he's probably a minor. He just melted a yakuza in the defense of his friends. Other than that he broke a gate and may have done some light kidnapping. I guess it's implied he melted his dad but we haven't seen a flashback or nothing.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Attempted murder is a thing too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

shigaraki has trespassing, assault, and attempted murder under his belt from the ua infiltration alone

what does light kidnapping even mean lol

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

What crimes has he even actually done. A lot of public rudeness and hanging in a bar even though he's probably a minor. He just melted a yakuza in the defense of his friends. Other than that he broke a gate and may have done some light kidnapping. I guess it's implied he melted his dad but we haven't seen a flashback or nothing.

I hope you never become a lawyer/judge.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
He's kind of a terrorist.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Within the context of the actual world he'd go to jail for 20 years but within the context of a manga he really hasn't done anything that bad & has supported his friends every step of the way (ethically the most important moral trait in a shonen).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

in the context of the manga shigaraki is a criminal and will go to jail if he's caught

are we even reading the same thing here

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That's fair. I'm not sure where he ranks on the Sasuke Scale of Manga Redemption.

Manatee Cannon posted:

in the context of the manga shigaraki is a criminal and will go to jail if he's caught

are we even reading the same thing here

He's talking about manga in general. Vegeta murdered hundreds of thousands of people and still got to end the story as a hero. That's about a 0.7 on the Sasuke Scale.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Can't wait for the issue of DBZ Super where Vegeta finally is forced to stand galactic trial for blowing up that one planet and then breathing in space.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The police - like the boring "follows procedure and does lots of paperwork" kind - have been important characters in this manga and the spin off. The fights operate on shounen rules but the world itself is pretty law and order heavy. People who do crimes get arrested in MHA.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
In the context of being a manga villain he hasn't done anything irredeemable yet, yes. I don't think that'll last for long though.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

RatHat posted:

In the context of being a manga villain he hasn't done anything irredeemable yet, yes. I don't think that'll last for long though.

Really we're just waiting for the flashback chapter because if he killed his parents he's a bad guy but if he melted them by accident or they got killed in a fight or something he's probably going to get redeemed.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this is the stance on shigaraki that mha takes

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Oh yeah, in light of the most recent chapter I think the thread title should be

My Hero Academia: Someone is sausage

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Can't wait for the issue of DBZ Super where Vegeta finally is forced to stand galactic trial for blowing up that one planet and then breathing in space.

If it doesn't end with a guilty verdict and subsequently with Vegeta murdering the court then I refuse to acknowledge it as canon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Vengarr posted:

:vince:

Though I think it'd be better as 'salsa'.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 6, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Vengarr posted:

That's fair. I'm not sure where he ranks on the Sasuke Scale of Manga Redemption.

He's talking about manga in general. Vegeta murdered hundreds of thousands of people and still got to end the story as a hero. That's about a 0.7 on the Sasuke Scale.

Orochimaru got away with more honestly.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Yeah but the difference Vegita is cool

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku basically sentenced 11 universes to death in super just now, plus the entire future timeline that he had zeno destroy

most of the heroes in dragon ball were bad guys in dragon ball at some point as well. it's pretty different from this series in that regard

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah, at the very least Shigaraki is clearly guilty of attempted murder, particular in the case of Eraserhead, who would have died had he not shut off Shigaraki's quirk (and that's not getting into the fact that murder of the children was an explicit goal from some of his plans as well).

But yeah, as far as manga logic goes he can still be (at least morally) excused as long as he hasn't purposefully and successfully carried out the murder of a non-evil character. I'd like to say that I can trust MHA to follow through on this (an ideal ending would be one where he realizes the error of his ways and willingly chooses to serve time as punishment), but I wouldn't bet much money on it (since MHA, despite being really good, still generally follows a lot of shounen plot beats).

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ytlaya posted:

(since MHA, despite being really good, still generally follows a lot of shounen plot beats).

That's because shounen plot beats are really good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Countblanc posted:

That's because shounen plot beats are really good.

Yeah, I never said I have a problem with MHA following general shounen plot beats. I'm just saying that I wouldn't put money on it bucking any trends like the whole "any enemy who is remotely sympathetic is either forgiven or heroically dies" trope. I mean, I wouldn't put much money on it adhering to that trope either, but I don't see any reason to assume it will do anything too unusual.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Vengarr posted:

Oh yeah, in light of the most recent chapter I think the thread title should be

Is the guy with the 'meat processing' power coming back?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

Orochimaru got away with more honestly.

i mean can you really punish someone for a previous life's crime?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Eraserhead stopped him from straight up murdering Tsuyu by like a split second.

Elfgames posted:

Comic book law has to have precedent for this.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Elfgames posted:

If they are the same person only resurrected via magic? Absolutely. Same way you don't actually get out of death row if you have a heart attack and technically die for a few seconds.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gyges posted:

If they are the same person only resurrected via magic? Absolutely. Same way you don't actually get out of death row if you have a heart attack and technically die for a few seconds.

What if they got the death penalty, died, then got resurrected? They served their sentence.

but yeah orochimaru getting away with everything was hosed

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

This is a photoshop btw.
Well, obviously.

Bakugou is actually pretty smart, he'd have put on a pressure suit and oxygen supply before launching himself into space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

What if they got the death penalty, died, then got resurrected? They served their sentence.

but yeah orochimaru getting away with everything was hosed

i also feel like he should get some leeway since like every non naruto ninja has done some awful poo poo(which was the whole point, naruto ended the cycle of everyone trying to punish people for past crimes and poo poo)