Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Thumbtacks posted:

Does anyone have the DRK tank mount thing? Wondering what it looks like.

Looks like a black couerl with dark red highlights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Melee healer is never going to happen. It just wouldn't work. Just like ranged tank is never going to happen.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

As for scrip gear, I know for DoH there is the crafted gear with materia slots and then the scrip gear without slots. For DoL, is it just the scrip gear?

Correct, at least for now. There's currently no crafted meldable DoL gear on the tier of the scrip gear.

Also, as I expect you're aware, as far as DoH gear: Crafted gear, in general, has higher potential and will generally be more efficient use of your scrips, but has higher risk (you might NQ it, or botch a Reclaim) and gil cost (materia especially, also other mats). Scrip gear, in contrast, is reliable, almost as good, but will flat-out take more time.

Personally I've been put off from crafting and gathering so much that I haven't been bothering yet, but since the number one thing I dragged my heels on in 2.x was going ugh at the thought of melding my crafting gear... well, if I do get around to it I'll probably go for the scrip gear. Min/max and efficiency be damned, I don't mind slower and not-as-good if it means I don't have to gently caress with materia.

Unfortunately, that doesn't take care of accessories. But at least you don't have to make a separate set of those for each craft.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

I I honestly think I'm going to end up pvping more than raiding, I'm starting to really like it.

I'm not super sure what role tanks play, though. Locking down healers and baiting cleanses, presumably.

Warriors don't really tank as much as wreck poo poo while being kind of hard to kill, though based off of my "job that annoys the poo poo out of me the most" index, I'd say SMN is probably the best PVP job right now.

PLDs can be kind of useful, and my god they can be annoying twerps with Hallowed Ground, but they're not great. DRK seems to do OK as they have some nice AOE moves and decent damage output, and can't burst as hard as WAR but can burst more, but yeah pretty much none of the threat moves do anything (Provoke, for instance, does absolutely nothing) and it's really more about utility and DD.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Boten Anna posted:

Warriors don't really tank as much as wreck poo poo while being kind of hard to kill, though based off of my "job that annoys the poo poo out of me the most" index, I'd say SMN is probably the best PVP job right now.

PLDs can be kind of useful, and my god they can be annoying twerps with Hallowed Ground, but they're not great. DRK seems to do OK as they have some nice AOE moves and decent damage output, and can't burst as hard as WAR but can burst more, but yeah pretty much none of the threat moves do anything (Provoke, for instance, does absolutely nothing) and it's really more about utility and DD.

Well my SMN is like 21 right now so gently caress that. Warrior seems more likely, I like the idea of it just being a plate dps.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Mordiceius posted:

Melee healer is never going to happen. It just wouldn't work. Just like ranged tank is never going to happen.

Mistweaver says hi.

Mind, fistweaving isn't particularly good or anything, but even when healing normally, Mistweavers get to stand in melee.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Boten Anna posted:

I hope Red Mage is a tank.

Red Mage healer, Blue Mage tank, Samurai DPS. Please look forward to it.

Tyberius posted:

You know that not only does Frontlines doesn't bother with queuing specific roles when putting a group together and that you can change jobs with no penalty before the match begins?

Play a healer and :gitgud:

Or play a SMN because they're broken as hell in PVP, especially clusterfucks like Seal Rock. Get in a group where 3+ SMN all have battle high going and it's just deathflares and limit breaks 24/7.

Mordiceius posted:

Warrior Priest in Warhammer Online worked decently as a melee healer (you needed to be on the ball and gear accordingly to not be dead weight though) and Chanters in Aion were pretty amazing secondary healers with good DPS and near-mandatory buffs. There's no reason FFXIV couldn't have a good melee healer when worse games have managed to do so.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

Melee healing can absolutely work insofar as a lot of fights have the healers standing in melee range for various reasons anyway, and they could just give Dancer aura or AoE heals as their focus.

But let's not be silly here. If yoship isn't just trolling and these jobs actually get added, they are going to give Samurai the tank role, not Red Mage. Which I won't mind as long as it lets me riposte and blade grasp stuff.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 28, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think that melee healers are unlikely because certain encounters would disproportionately affect them.

Look at Ifrit EX for example. You can't have the healers stand near the group. Welp. That means the melee healer is dead weight and can't heal. Great. Now you only have one healer. The other 3 classes aren't affected by this.

This game is designed so that healers stand at range, tanks stand in melee, and ranged can be either. I doubt this is going to ever be changed.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Same with Judgment Nisi in A4.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

So do we know when the EU servers are being moved to the EU? Sorry if it has already happened, all the info from a quick Google search was from pre-HW.

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

GoGoGadget posted:

So do we know when the EU servers are being moved to the EU? Sorry if it has already happened, all the info from a quick Google search was from pre-HW.

I think they said some time in October.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

You're also all assuming that a melee or punchhealer in general would have no ranged healing abilities. There's a lot of different ways it could be designed, and even if the big/main healing was done with abilities used within melee range of the target, that doesn't mean there would be no ranged healing at all.

It could also mean that the healer is a melee DPS that charges up heals through punching, which can then be cast at range, which could turn out to be incredibly fun and interesting without really breaking current content.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
there's a melee healer in another popular mmo that does just fine,,, i wonder,,,

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

No MMO that's not XIV is doing just fine :v:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
If you're talking monks, fist weaving is dead and terrible and not close to viable in anything except 5 mans where everyone is overgeared

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Fister Roboto posted:

Also another big difference between WOW tanking and FF14 tanking is that you can't completely eliminate critical hits. You can get a cross-class skill that makes you immune to them for a short time, but it's not a permanent passive thing like in WOW. Fortunately the attacks that you really have to worry about while tanking can't crit, it's usually just auto-attacks.

There are some abilities that can wreck you when they crit but those tend to be an outlier found in trash. See the Iron Giant in Fractal Continuum that once crit me for 10k as a PLD (i150 grey gear + Overheat + Grand Sword Crit.)

But the vast majority of boss abilities are balanced around not critting in the first place.

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
I hope they never add Red Mage. Trash job for trash people!

AST already did the bad at everything but has a big hat role.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Thumbtacks posted:

If you're talking monks, fist weaving is dead and terrible and not close to viable in anything except 5 mans where everyone is overgeared

what did they do to it in wod

it was fine in mop

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

gently caress Blue Mage and Samurai, give me Dancer god dammit. GIVE IT TO MEEEEEEEE

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Kaedric posted:

gently caress Blue Mage and Samurai, give me Dancer god dammit. GIVE IT TO MEEEEEEEE

I desperately want an agility tank too. It's such a fun playstyle. Ever since Dunban in Xenoblade, I've been a fan.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Doublestep posted:

what did they do to it in wod

it was fine in mop

It's pretty terrible now, they do like 30-40% of an actual healer's hps and like 40% of an actual dps' dps

They're like a hybrid but with the worst of both worlds

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Iron Tusk posted:

You can ask them to switch classes since there's no restriction on it.

Tyberius posted:

You know that not only does Frontlines doesn't bother with queuing specific roles when putting a group together and that you can change jobs with no penalty before the match begins?

Play a healer and :gitgud:

:aaaaa:

I had no idea.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Aion chanters (melee heal/buff hybrid) were genuinely cool and thinking about that class gave me a moment of nostalgia for that lovely game. But only a moment.

A melee healer in FFXIV would probably still need several ranged heals and a token ranged attack just because there are fights where people genuinely can't bunch up. The design goal would be to make sure they always have something useful to do even if they aren't the "optimal" job for a given fight, and it isn't like the other healer jobs or combinations of them haven't been suboptimal for various bits of content before. I'm just saying I think they could pull it off if "Dancer as melee healer" becomes an item on the table.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

ps am no frog posted:

I hope they never add Red Mage. Trash job for trash people!

AST already did the bad at everything but has a big hat role.

I mean isnt RDM traditionally a sword mage? I don't see why they couldn't just make it that.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

It could also mean that the healer is a melee DPS that charges up heals through punching, which can then be cast at range, which could turn out to be incredibly fun and interesting without really breaking current content.

So you would have a class that can't DPS as well as pure DPS classes and can't heal as well as pure healers. Sure sounds fun. :shepface:

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

Obscurity posted:

I mean isnt RDM traditionally a sword mage? I don't see why they couldn't just make it that.

Red Mage had a sword but did lower damage with it. They also has access to low level black and white magic. This goes way back to FF1 and there were butts imo.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Really you'd be better off just making a Mystic Swordsman melee magic DPS that has nods to Red Mage, as Jack of All Trades classes really don't work with the kind of MMO FFXIV is.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

So you would have a class that can't DPS as well as pure DPS classes and can't heal as well as pure healers. Sure sounds fun. :shepface:

Woah it's so cool that you know this based off of a spitball "this is how it could work" kind of thing I had no idea you went into the future where they somehow took my rough basic demonstration of the kind of thing that is possible and made it a full job and you parsed numbers and poo poo!!

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 29, 2015

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

It's going to either do poor dps or poor healing. If it does both well then why would you take anything else. What's the point of a pure dps if this theoretical class can do comparable dps and still have real heals. On the flip side why bring a healer if this class can do decent dps and still pull the same hps as the traditional healers.

The problem with hybrid classes is they either do both things poorly or both things well and either way it imbalanced in some direction.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

ps am no frog posted:

It's going to either do poor dps or poor healing. If it does both well then why would you take anything else. What's the point of a pure dps if this theoretical class can do comparable dps and still have real heals. On the flip side why bring a healer if this class can do decent dps and still pull the same hps as the traditional healers.

The problem with hybrid classes is they either do both things poorly or both things well and either way it imbalanced in some direction.

Why couldn't they handle it similarly to Cleric Stance and make a stance swap with good dps and mediocre heals, or vice versa..the dps could be for solo stuff for example. I dunno just a thought..I just really like RDM thematically and it was fun in FFXI. :shobon:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

People get too hung up on how classes worked in old FFs, as if any of the jobs in 14 function anything like they do in the other games. RDM could end up being tank, healer, or dps and they could easily make it work under the filmsy theme of "sword guy with magically themed abilities" if they felt like it.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Every time you punch something with Punchmancy you get a Punchflow stack that increases your healing effectiveness by 5%. Every time you use Punchcure, it uses a stack. If you have no stacks your punchheals are ~85% as effective as the other healers with their garbage hippie nature "magic" poo poo. At full Punchflow, which stacks to I don't know, 5 or 8 or something, a Punchcure does something like 120-130% effectiveness. Another cool thing is there's no Cleric Stance bullshit so you can focus on weaving between Punchmaning and Punchcuring, as well as (punch) positioning which you have to care about now. Cool special abilities include Throw Punchcure which isn't as potent as Punchcure but you don't have to run over to the dipshit ranged that are getting hit by poo poo, Punchdiction which consumes all your stacks and has a long cooldown and summons the holy sky punch to do a large AOE punchheal, Punchrally which mitigates an amount of damage based on Punchflow stacks, Punch Up which gives you some Punchflow stacks on cooldown, and Punchsomeotherthing for whatever pedant poo poo you come up with to whine about how impossible it would be before spending 5 goddamned seconds thinking about the myriad of obvious ways something like this could be designed to give it an interesting set of both limitations and strengths.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

ps am no frog posted:

If we're talking hypothetically, it could do decent DPS and heals, the challenge would be being inside melee range and the dangers that entails maybe?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Do all big fish produce a big tug on your line? I've been trying to catch a storm dancer for a while and haven't had any luck. Up until now I thought that for big fish, I could ignore anything that isn't a big tug. All the conditions are right (raining at night) and I've also been popping Patience II, but I haven't gotten a single big tug yet at the Jadeite Flood. Am I just really unlucky?

Lunch! Finally!
Jan 23, 2006

I'm my experience being in melee is less of a hassle than ranged

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

stop having a meltdown about bullshit

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Velthice posted:

stop having a meltdown about bullshit

Who knows what happens when I max my punchflow stacks???

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

"Melee healer" is such an ambiguous term that I don't think you can really have a proper discussion about it. Is it a healer that only has short range heals? A healer with long range heals but can only melee for dps? A healer that does melee dps spells with a healing effect attached to them? If it's the last one, how long a range does the healing effect have, and do they have traditional healing spells available outside of their dps rotation?

ps am no frog posted:

If it fills a healer slot it doesn't have to do DPS level damage. See also:

Mordiceius posted:

I think that melee healers are unlikely because certain encounters would disproportionately affect them.

Look at Ifrit EX for example. You can't have the healers stand near the group. Welp. That means the melee healer is dead weight and can't heal. Great. Now you only have one healer. The other 3 classes aren't affected by this.

This game is designed so that healers stand at range, tanks stand in melee, and ranged can be either. I doubt this is going to ever be changed.
You could just have the mechanic not target that job, which is how Mistweavers used to work in WoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Boten Anna posted:

Who knows what happens when I max my punchflow stacks???

you might make your first ever good post but i doubt it

• Locked thread