Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Blame everyone who has to have a new iPhone X!!!11!1!!1!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10706/market-trends-q2-2016-ssd-shipments-up-41-percent-yoy

To show how insignificant consumer SSD demand are, I pulled some recent SSD shipment data out of my rear end: ~30M SSDs at 278 GB each on average in Q2 2016.

Iphone alone are a 50M at probably 64GB each on average in that quarter, and that's not even including a single Android device at like ~5x the volume of iPhones.

gisbonkers
May 24, 2015

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A Ryzen 3 4C/8T would be a much better decision here over a 6100, and give you some 'outs' in the future since AMD plans on sticking with Socket AM4 until at least 2019-2020.

thanks, i'll look into the ryzen.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

gisbonkers posted:

thanks, i'll look into the ryzen.

There's a case to be made for a 4C/4T Coffee Lake, but the single die Ryzens are solid chips.

The Bumpasaurus
May 12, 2001
I can't fucking decide.

Eletriarnation posted:

This is an unfortunate time to be buying Kaby Lake and especially an i3, since you're paying the same thing for a dual-core that could get you a Cannon Lake quad. I would recommend checking out Ryzen 3 instead if you're going to buy right now, since the cheap motherboards for Cannon Lake aren't out yet. If you want to stick with Kaby Lake, I think the Pentiums are almost as good as the i3 and a lot cheaper. Also, I'm not sure if the 3000MHz memory is any more expensive than 2400MHz would be but it's not going to run any faster either in a B250 board so don't pay extra for it.

Thanks, that's helpful. So just to confirm the options are:
-Go with a i5-8400 and a more expensive motherboard like a ASRock - Z370M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 for an extra ~$150.
-Go with a Kaby Lake Pentium processor (g4620?) and a b250 mobo for maybe $20 less than my build above
-Wait for cheaper 8th gen-compatible motherboards to come out
-Go with a Ryzen 3 for around the same price

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
A few silly questions from someone who hasn't done a self build in about a decade. I just ordered a Ryzen 5 1600 with the Asus Prime X370-PRO motherboard. This motherboard supports the M.2 format, so I'm assuming an M.2 SSD is what I should go for and it just slots in like a stick of RAM?

Also, I bought a Windows 10 Pro OEM key, and don't want an optical drive in my new build, so how do I get the Windows software (legally) and onto my new PC (I'm assuming USB stick)?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

The Bumpasaurus posted:

Thanks, that's helpful. So just to confirm the options are:
-Go with a i5-8400 and a more expensive motherboard like a ASRock - Z370M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 for an extra ~$150.
-Go with a Kaby Lake Pentium processor (g4620?) and a b250 mobo for maybe $20 less than my build above
-Wait for cheaper 8th gen-compatible motherboards to come out
-Go with a Ryzen 3 for around the same price

Pretty much, although you don't have to go with the i5-8400 if you move up to Coffee Lake. The i3-8100 is also available, cheaper, and still a quad-core - effectively an i5-7450. You could potentially buy that and a Z370 board to allow upgrades to a six-core later.

However, an AM4 board with Ryzen 3 would also allow upgrades - to Ryzen 7 which can trade blows with the six-core Coffee Lakes from what I understand, and probably to second gen Ryzen within the first half of the year. It's unclear at this point what improvements will be in second generation Ryzen though, or when Ice Lake will be coming out.

Exioce posted:

A few silly questions from someone who hasn't done a self build in about a decade. I just ordered a Ryzen 5 1600 with the Asus Prime X370-PRO motherboard. This motherboard supports the M.2 format, so I'm assuming an M.2 SSD is what I should go for and it just slots in like a stick of RAM?

Also, I bought a Windows 10 Pro OEM key, and don't want an optical drive in my new build, so how do I get the Windows software (legally) and onto my new PC (I'm assuming USB stick)?
Correct on both counts, but with the additional wrinkle that the M.2 connector standard supports two protocols - SATA and NVMe, which is basically PCIe x4. ASUS' site says that your board is dual-mode so you can use a drive of either type. SATA drives tend to be cheaper and perform identically to their 2.5" equivalents - the form factor is basically their raison d'etre. The NVMe ones can perform much, much better depending on model but it's often hard to tell a difference in real world use and they do cost more.

e: In some boards, using PCIe M.2 will share bandwidth with the PCIe slots (or disable SATA ports) and in some, using SATA M.2 will disable one of the SATA ports. It's not clear to me where the bandwidth is coming from on your board; it's probably either dropping one of the lower x8 slots to x4 or just dynamically sharing bandwidth with everything else on the chipset, I guess.

You can get the Windows ISO from Microsoft - just search "Media Creation Tool". It will create a flash drive for you but I recommend getting the ISO and using Rufus to copy it to the flash drive, it's faster.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 5, 2017

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Thanks for the clarifications. I'm actually pretty drat excited. My current PC is a Wolfdale E5400 (45nm!) and I've never known anything other than a HDD and no GPU better than a HD 6670. The rest of the parts I'll be picking up around Black Friday. I'm hoping this build is gonna blow my mind as to how far tech has come :)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You're using a 10 year old cpu?

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

You're using a 10 year old cpu?

Yep, I'm one of those people who's always waiting for the next best thing, but of course when that comes round the next next best thing is only a few months away. The Ryzen 5 1600 just dropped to £136 on Amazon today, and I figured if that wasn't enough reason to pull the trigger I'd be stuck with my current system until it blew up and forced my hand.

OTOH, I have to credit the E5400, it's served me very well and I can still play things like War Thunder on the lowest settings without many issues. It really is a solid CPU.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Eletriarnation posted:

However, an AM4 board with Ryzen 3 would also allow upgrades - to Ryzen 7 which can trade blows with the six-core Coffee Lakes from what I understand, and probably to second gen Ryzen within the first half of the year. It's unclear at this point what improvements will be in second generation Ryzen though, or when Ice Lake will be coming out.

Given the above, and how you'd mentioned Cities Skylines in your first post in the thread, I recommend Ryzen 5 over an I5. Reason being, performance in that game scales directly with CPU thread count. A 1600 non-X would be a solid bet, since it's got 6 cores and hyperthreading, yet still would only run you about $300 or so for CPU + Mobo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
A 1600 is a nice CPU, but I wouldn't base my purchase off of City Skylines. You're going to Max out that game with either a i5 or Ryzen for all practical purposes.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
So the Core i5-7500 in the OP is no longer suggested?

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Do we know yet if Z370 will support future 8-core and/or 10nm CPUs? Is the i7-8700K as good as it's going to get for this chipset?

I don't know if there is enough information available yet to confirm one way or another but I get the sense that the next round of CPUs after the current 8700K/8600K/etc. Coffee Lakes will require something like a Z390 board.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

So the Core i5-7500 in the OP is no longer suggested?

Ideally, no - you should be looking at an i5-8400 as an entry level into hexacore CPUs, but mostly because snagging a Z370 board at the moment gives you more options over the next few years.

Parker Lewis posted:

Do we know yet if Z370 will support future 8-core and/or 10nm CPUs? Is the i7-8700K as good as it's going to get for this chipset?

I don't know if there is enough information available yet to confirm one way or another but I get the sense that the next round of CPUs after the current 8700K/8600K/etc. Coffee Lakes will require something like a Z390 board.

We don't know yet and probably won't for another 4-6 months. But the biggest issue with an eight-core Coffee Lake, especially if they stay on 14nm, is going to be power delivery, so to add to it, there might be some Z370 boards that can handle an eight-core CL CPU and some whose makers cheaped the gently caress out on components which won't. It's probably going to be a clusterfuck.

And that's *on top* of the fact that an eight-core CL CPU will be a *very* toasty chip at 14nm, which means it might not overclock as well as a hexacore.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 5, 2017

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the new recommended CPU list these days should really be something like:

(low cost options)
i3-8100 when those B360 boards come out
R3 1200

(mid range options)
i5-8400
R5 1600

(non overclocker performance options)
i7-8700
R7 1700

(i have more money than i know what to do with, halp)
i7-8700k if you can find one
i7-5820k if you can find one

stock for the i5-8400 and i7-8700 isn't too bad right now and are actually purchasable and if you don't overclock there's absolutely no difference between the 8700 and the 8700k.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

BIG HEADLINE posted:

We don't know yet and probably won't for another 4-6 months. But the biggest issue with an eight-core Coffee Lake, especially if they stay on 14nm, is going to be power delivery, so to add to it, there might be some Z370 boards that can handle an eight-core CL CPU and some whose makers cheaped the gently caress out on components which won't. It's probably going to be a clusterfuck.

And that's *on top* of the fact that an eight-core CL CPU will be a *very* toasty chip at 14nm, which means it might not overclock as well as a hexacore.

I ended up with both an 8600K and 8700K and was trying to decide which one to keep. I guess I'll hedge my bet and just keep the 8700K (based on your earlier post about additional threads being more likely to come into play with this generation of chips) vs. keeping the i5 on the off chance I could replace it with an 8-core or something a year from now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Guru3D just did a pretty decent (and legible) analysis of Wolf II: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/wolfenstein-ii-the-new-colossus-pc-graphics-analysis-benchmark-review,1.html

Verdict: get a 1060 (or a GPU with 8GB of frame buffer, as the highest quality eats like 5.1GB @ 1080p) and a multithreaded CPU with as many cores/threads as you can afford.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.89 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 HD3P (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.38 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($122.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($148.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.78 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($108.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $852.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-05 14:54 EST-0500

Just a preliminary. I do moderate gaming and need the extra memory for VM work. I plan on reusing my Antec P183 ATX case and Radeon R9 380X. I remember back in 2010 my CPU came with it's own cooler but is this something I have to buy separate now?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 HD3P (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($139.38 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($122.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($148.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.78 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($108.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $852.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-05 14:54 EST-0500

Just a preliminary. I do moderate gaming and need the extra memory for VM work. I plan on reusing my Antec P183 ATX case and Radeon R9 380X. I remember back in 2010 my CPU came with it's own cooler but is this something I have to buy separate now?

That looks like a good starting point for an 8th Gen build. As for your question - the CPU comes with a stock HSF with non-K SKUs, like the 8400. Also, there's a very good chance you'll be able to reuse/upgrade your current Windows license and save yourself some money.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Guru3D just did a pretty decent (and legible) analysis of Wolf II: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/wolfenstein-ii-the-new-colossus-pc-graphics-analysis-benchmark-review,1.html

Verdict: get a 1060 (or a GPU with 8GB of frame buffer, as the highest quality eats like 5.1GB @ 1080p) and a multithreaded CPU with as many cores/threads as you can afford.

It's not really comprehensive without looking at the performance variance other sites have noted, i.e. https://www.computerbase.de/2017-10/wolfenstein-2-new-colossus-benchmark/2/

AMDs performance is wildly inconsistent, to the point that a Vega64 can perform like a 1080ti in one chapter and a 1070 in another.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That looks like a good starting point for an 8th Gen build. As for your question - the CPU comes with a stock HSF with non-K SKUs, like the 8400. Also, there's a very good chance you'll be able to reuse/upgrade your current Windows license and save yourself some money.

So is it okay if I use the stock HSF if I don't plan on overclocking?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

So is it okay if I use the stock HSF if I don't plan on overclocking?

Absolutely.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I'm looking at building a couple new workstations for work and trying to nail down some of the decisions. The major use case for these systems is 2D AutoCAD work, which at this point is apparently optimized for single thread performance.

Given the single thread performance, I'm planning on going with i5-8600k. I don't plan on overclocking a ton since reliability is at a premium here, but I like that the option is there.

Is there a best-value option as far as CPU cooler goes? Doesn't need to be silent, but quiet is a plus.

As far as cases go, I see a glut of gamer-focused glass and RGB monstrosities. Is there a go to mid-tower case that doesn't look like I spent company money on a ~~K1ller Gam1ng R1G~~? I do need to have a 5.25" slot.

I've found no good information on how well AutoCAD LT (2D AutoCAD) uses GPU acceleration, so I'm planning on targeting value. Is the GTX 1050 basically the best value for a card with decent performance that also supports 3+ displays? I know workstation cards targeted towards CAD professionals are out there, but from what I can tell the cost is significantly more for the same performance and I don't really do the type of work that would benefit from them.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Exioce posted:

Thanks for the clarifications. I'm actually pretty drat excited. My current PC is a Wolfdale E5400 (45nm!) and I've never known anything other than a HDD and no GPU better than a HD 6670. The rest of the parts I'll be picking up around Black Friday. I'm hoping this build is gonna blow my mind as to how far tech has come :)

Sup fellow Wolfdale owner. It's finally time to move to something modern, and here's what I came up with:

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($164.39 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($449.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($135.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1340.01
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-05 17:04 EST-0500

The intended end result of this build is a PC that will last me another ~8 preferably quiet years of general use, occasional FPS gaming and work-from-home thing (hence Win10 Pro), and running Photoshop/Lightroom. If this part list seems like an overkill to you: I'm not planning to spend more on upgrades unless absolutely necessary. My current PC only received a RAM upgrade, and I had to replace failing Seagate drives with HP.

What do you think, sirs?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ringu0 posted:

The intended end result of this build is a PC that will last me another ~8 preferably quiet years of general use, occasional FPS gaming and work-from-home thing (hence Win10 Pro), and running Photoshop/Lightroom. If this part list seems like an overkill to you: I'm not planning to spend more on upgrades unless absolutely necessary. My current PC only received a RAM upgrade, and I had to replace failing Seagate drives with HP.

What do you think, sirs?

If you want a 5-7+ year PC, you're going to want an i7 in this generation, or at the very least, an i5 8600. And since you've already factored a Cyrorig H7 into your cost and are being forced to run a Z370, it might as well be an 8600K or 8700K.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Is it worth stepping up from a Cryorig H7 to something like the Noctua NH-D15S or Cryorig R1 for overclocking an i7-8700K, or could I attempt a decent overclock with just an H7?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

If your budget can handle it, stepping up to a HSF the size of a baby's head will give you average AIO-level without the worries of pump failure or leakage (which AIO diehards will tell you is rare). The downsides of course is that the larger and heavier the heatsink, the more gravity will act on it, unless you get a case that can be side-mounted, and your options for those are few and far between.

Going with a super-large HSF also makes you have to do a lot of extra homework and due diligence to ensure that 1) it will fit in the case you want to use, and 2) that you then have to buy low-profile RAM modules.

It also appears the Cryorig R1 is on sale at the moment: https://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA4UF1H68938?icid=WP_0_11012017

That's the "Ultimate" model, though - so it'll overlap DIMM slots - they made a "Universal" model that's offset so the DIMM slots are left open. No doubt that's still full price and might present even more fitting issues.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 6, 2017

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you want a 5-7+ year PC, you're going to want an i7 in this generation, or at the very least, an i5 8600. And since you've already factored a Cyrorig H7 into your cost and are being forced to run a Z370, it might as well be an 8600K or 8700K.

i5 8600K adds $80, I can stomach that, thanks. You're right about K, I overlooked that.

Speaking of Cryorig H7, if anyone is looking to buy it, it's on a November deal list at newegg for $28 I believe. I just wanted a quiet fan for my CPU, haven't had a lot of luck with stock fans.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Is there anything secretly horrible about this specific card?

https://smile.amazon.com/EVGA-GeFor...dpSrc=srch&th=1

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I don't think so, it looks pretty standard to me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

You could save yourself $30 and go with the single fan version and honestly not lose any performance. The 1060s don't run that hot. The only difference is the cooling apparatus and higher stock clocks on the SSC.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I checked out the SC more thoroughly than the SSC, but if they're both fine, I'll just see what the out the door price on each is on Black Friday and make the call then.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
lol why does everyone think there's gonna be Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals on actual good things you would want to buy? I don't recall this actually happening in the last 4 years or so.

The only thing that seemed to be reliable is that NewEgg would sometimes have a deal where they give you $20 off if you purchase with a certain brand of credit card or something.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

lol why does everyone think there's gonna be Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals on actual good things you would want to buy? I don't recall this actually happening in the last 4 years or so.

The only thing that seemed to be reliable is that NewEgg would sometimes have a deal where they give you $20 off if you purchase with a certain brand of credit card or something.

I only had the dosh to buy the thing the first of the month, and it doesn't impact my plans for videogames to wait a couple more weeks and maybe get a deal.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Howdy, here's what I'm looking at for modern games at 1080p/streaming/video editing.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151
CPU fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING M3 LGA 1151 Intel Z270 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Motherboards - Intel
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-850FX 850W 80+ Gold
Hard drive: WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch
SSD: Patriot Spark 2.5" 512GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (just listed for completeness--I already own this as a gift)
Case: Antec GX Series GX1200 Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
with fans: COOLER MASTER R4-S2S-124K-GP Silent Case Fan (4-Pack)

Are there any obvious incompatibilities or fuckups? I do not overclock things. I'm not on a tight budget, so I'm not worried about saving every dollar I can as long as I'm not paying triple digits more than I should for this. I just want something that will work and not be a pain in the rear end after everything is built (in other words I want everything to last a few years ideally).

There is not a lot of info on the case but from the research I did, everything should fit, although that CPU fan will be tight.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Why are you getting a processor and a motherboard that can overclock if you don't overclock things? I mean, I don't think it's a terrible combination but I do overclock; if you plan to never use that feature it's a waste. Moreover, the 6700K is sort of two generations behind at this point and you're putting it in a Z270 board which will work fine but probably costs more than a closeout Z170 board which would work just as well.

Really, you might want to check out the i7-8700 and Z370 since you can get two more cores at this point and that seems like a big deal if you're not price sensitive and want the system to last as long as possible.

An 850W power supply is definitely overkill for that, so I hope you're not paying much more than you would for something like 650W. It'll work fine though.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 6, 2017

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Best part with overspecced psu's is that your pc's max load is way lower than the max load your psu can handle. So the psu fan stays on lower part of the fan curve and psu runs cooler. Some 500W psu might run the fan at full speed and it gets annoying very fast.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm interested in an i7-8700 but last I checked it was out of stock everywhere. It looks like amazon has it in stock right now though? Do I need to jump on this poo poo right now?

I have always gone overkill on PSUs and honestly haven't regretted it. This doesn't cost too much more than a gold 750W or 650W and I would rather have the peace of mind of less relative tax on the part that can take other poo poo with it if it ever blows up, as well as having the ability to upgrade other parts without needing a new PSU.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

How stupid of an idea is getting TR1900X and X399 board now? The idea would be to get the latest TR goodness in two years with some high tech monitor and GPU. For now I'd run GTX1060 6GB on full hd 60Hz monitor.