Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Mr Chips posted:

is there anything definitive on whether current B450/X470 boards will be able to run Ryzens 4000s?

AMD has claimed to support AM4 at least up to 2020 but that's pretty much it. Realistically, they won't change the socket until DDR5 and support for it is only rumoured for Zen4/Ryzen 5000 so chances are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Arzachel posted:

AMD has claimed to support AM4 at least up to 2020 but that's pretty much it. Realistically, they won't change the socket until DDR5 and support for it is only rumoured for Zen4/Ryzen 5000 so chances are good.
I think what I'm worried about is the motherboard vendors dropping the ball, or Murphy's law comes into play and whichever board I get ends up having some sort of design quirk that rules out upgrading to Zen 3.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Chips posted:

I think what I'm worried about is the motherboard vendors dropping the ball, or Murphy's law comes into play and whichever board I get ends up having some sort of design quirk that rules out upgrading to Zen 3.

if anything the motherboard manufacturers have gone above-and-beyond what we might expect, given that even A320 boards are capable of using Zen 2 chips

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I got the sense that it's less so about the motherboards, and moreso about the design of Zen architecture itself. Unless you're gonna try and run a 12-core or 16-core (where A320s do start to not work), you'll likely be okay simply because of how insanely power efficient Zen is proving itself to be and that supposedly they'll keep going with it on the 4000 series.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 3, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sri.Theo posted:

So with regards to the new surface laptops what sort of performance upgrade are the AMD chips compared with the Intel ones in the 13 inch model?

Is it likely to be worth the upgrade if you’re only doing light video, photo editing and the occasional strategy game (civilisation 6 and hopefully 7, EU4 etc)?

I’m presuming both will be fine for day to day excel and word tasks that I mainly do.

We don’t know yet and thermals will be important for sustained performance, but the AMD part is likely going to be slower across the board honestly. The 64EU Ice Lake has been pretty impressive in the early reviews, and it’s got DDR4X 3733 vs the DDR4 2400 the AMD version is getting.

But we also don’t know price or whether there will ever be enough Ice Lake parts for it to matter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cygni posted:

But we also don’t know price or whether there will ever be enough Ice Lake parts for it to matter.

We know the price of the full Surface Laptop 3 lineup.

i5 $999
i7 $1599
Ryzen 5 $1199
Ryzen 7 $1699

Those are all the base prices for the 4 processor configs. The 5 series Intel and AMD starting configs are with 8g/128gb and the 7 series Intel and AMD are 16gb/256gb.

The Ryzen 5 config seems to be the everyman laptop. Large screen and decent enough graphics to run indies or some light creative work. The Ryzen 7 is likely made for creatives and the i7 is for somone who wants the most CPU in the smallest package.

The i5 is probably for corporate deployment.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ah my bad, they didn't have the prices announced when I looked at the AT article yesterday. Still looks like we don't know the 15in Ice Lake price.

There really isnt much difference between the R5/R7 in these laptops, all of them are 4/8 parts. Its a tiny bump in clocks.

Also those prices are straight up bad. You can get 3700U E-series ThinkPads with a 256SSD for sub-$600... vs the $1500 Microsoft is charging for a similar config. Guess the decision is whether the screen is worth paying over double for.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, it's more than just the screen. The whole build is significantly better and the 13" one is significantly lighter than anything in the E series. The surface line is never going to be something to compare to an entry level PC line for another manufacturer.

15" Intel models will only be for corporate purchase and won't be sold to consumers, so we aren't likely to see a hard list price for them.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Truga posted:

I *really* want a decent AMD powered laptop now, and it looks like surface will be it.

However, windows is an anathema to my productivity, so I'd like to run a linux on it :rip:
The last surface still hasn't had all its issues fixed on linux last i checked lmao

So am I, but no Wifi6.

I could also ding them for no HDMI, but that's a problem that HDMI and DisplayPort need to sort out with eachother, not Microsoft's problem.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Cygni posted:

Ah my bad, they didn't have the prices announced when I looked at the AT article yesterday. Still looks like we don't know the 15in Ice Lake price.

There really isnt much difference between the R5/R7 in these laptops, all of them are 4/8 parts. Its a tiny bump in clocks.

Also those prices are straight up bad. You can get 3700U E-series ThinkPads with a 256SSD for sub-$600... vs the $1500 Microsoft is charging for a similar config. Guess the decision is whether the screen is worth paying over double for.

The surface line is not designed to compete with Microsoft customers. It's a halo line for windows hardware ideas.

Ideally having ryzen in a surface product (high end apple competitor) inspires product planning at odms to use it in more mainstream products

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Malcolm XML posted:

It's a halo line for windows hardware ideas.

somewhere a terrible Microsoft product team is high-fiving because someone actually used their bad jargon

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Finally updated my Asrock X570 Taichi to the ABBA AGESA. It has definitely tamed my boosting behavior quite a bit, now during normal desktop use it's no longer "idling" at 1.4x volts. My 3900X still seems to be a bit of a dud, even with the new AGESA it doesn't want to boost much above 4.4 GHz in single threaded workloads, and it only hits that frequency for brief moments and mostly hangs out in the 4.3 GHz range (though I'm not complaining too much considering I upgraded from a 3570k).

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-cpus-new-microcode-bios-agesa-1004,40549.html

Cueing up that old finewine?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

The next windows 10 update also has support for the preferred core feature you can see in ryzen master.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
AMD likely pushing NUC-likes soon™ http://www.fanlesstech.com/2019/10/exclusive-amds-nuc-is-coming-soon.html

Not using embedded processors either apparently so...socketed NUCs? That sounds more like AMD is selling a platform and form factor than they are selling a complete solution.

...wait, is this an offspring of Project Quantum?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/apple-increasing-iphone-11-production-a13-7nm-tsmc-amd,40553.html

Apple ups demand for A13 chips, making the 7nm squeeze even tighter than before.

And it's in this market environment that GloFo decided they weren't going to bother with 7nm? What in the actual gently caress?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Truga posted:

I *really* want a decent AMD powered laptop now, and it looks like surface will be it.

However, windows is an anathema to my productivity, so I'd like to run a linux on it :rip:
The last surface still hasn't had all its issues fixed on linux last i checked lmao

Linux. Laptop. AMD. Pick two.

The first problem is that Vega IGP is incredibly unstable except on kernel 4.19+, and there’s basically no production environments running kernels that new. Red Hat just began a journey of backporting security fixes to 4.18, Debian Buster just got there and the next Ubuntu LTS will but it will be a while before businesses demand that sort of thing.

Oh, and touchscreen/trackpad in Zen laptops wasn’t supported until 5.2 a few months ago, so good luck with that. Ubuntu has actually patched an older driver that works into their current release, if you want to just get a Latitude 5495 or some similar model and wipe Windows off it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Linux. Laptop. AMD. Pick two.

The first problem is that Vega IGP is incredibly unstable except on kernel 4.19+, and there’s basically no production environments running kernels that new. Red Hat just began a journey of backporting security fixes to 4.18, Debian Buster just got there and the next Ubuntu LTS will but it will be a while before businesses demand that sort of thing.

Oh, and touchscreen/trackpad in Zen laptops wasn’t supported until 5.2 a few months ago, so good luck with that. Ubuntu has actually patched an older driver that works into their current release, if you want to just get a Latitude 5495 or some similar model and wipe Windows off it.

Desktops should use Fedora
Servers should use RHEL/CentOS.

Fedora30 has kernel 5.2 which works fine with Vega.

Edit* Great terrible post/username combo.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 4, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah i was gonna say what the gently caress kind of laptop is going to run a kernel that old??

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The gist is that these “shipped to run Linux” laptops from Dell are usually sold to enterprise and IT, which aren’t going to run cutting/bleeding edge builds when business are on the line.

If you’re going to use a community distro, you order from someone like System 76 who presently use all Intel.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've been using linux on laptops for work almost 15 years now and i haven't even heard of any of the things you're saying right now

i just check laptop specs to get something that will suit my needs, do a quick google if it runs linux and then run linux :shrug:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

One of these pieces of software is very confused

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

EmpyreanFlux posted:

AMD likely pushing NUC-likes soon™ http://www.fanlesstech.com/2019/10/exclusive-amds-nuc-is-coming-soon.html

Not using embedded processors either apparently so...socketed NUCs? That sounds more like AMD is selling a platform and form factor than they are selling a complete solution.

...wait, is this an offspring of Project Quantum?

Well, there's already the Asrock deskmini A300: https://www.asrock.com/nettop/AMD/DeskMini%20A300%20Series/ (which I really really want for honestly no good reason other than "it's neat")

Would be interesting to see more options of course.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Those had the potential to be better, if only because they have the ability to come with an MXM slot for some real hilarious shenanigans, but it's been a couple years now, and I don't think MXM is going to get any more mainstream as time goes on, only less. Nvidia seems to want to wash their hands of MXM entirely as it is.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sadly, they ditched MXM for the AM4 version :(

E: I mean, probably the right call, but a 1060 still hugely outperforms Vega 11.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 5, 2019

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IqD7U9oNpQ

Zen3/Milan is still DDR4, PCIE4, SP3
Zen3/Milan is still 9 die (64C max)
Zen3/Milan is SMT2, not SMT4
Zen3/Milan has unified L3 cache inside of a CCD ('Ringbus' for decreased latency?)
Zen3/Milan has a target date of Q3 2020. To note, Zen2/Rome dropped later than Zen2/Matisse so it's possible Zen3/Vermeer is Q2 2020 at earliest.
Zen3/Milan is still on 7nm, not 7nmEUV. This is weird since it'd indicate Zen3/Milan was always intended for 7nm, 7nm and 7nmEUV do not have interchangeable design rules. Maybe this is an accidental omission or typo?

Note that the Zen3 Core/L2/L3 size are larger, might indicate a wider core. I mean if you didn't want to communicate that as a possibility you could have just copy-pasted the Zen2 block and adjusted the L3 portion, but instead they did an entirely new block diagram for Zen3. Supporting evidence is that the unified L3 is labeled 32MB+, not 32MB. I mean, the graphic artist would be an idiot too, thread title as precedent, so grain of salt.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

One of these pieces of software is very confused

You know drat well they're both wrong.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EmpyreanFlux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IqD7U9oNpQ

Zen3/Milan is still DDR4, PCIE4, SP3
Zen3/Milan is still 9 die (64C max)
Zen3/Milan is SMT2, not SMT4
Zen3/Milan has unified L3 cache inside of a CCD ('Ringbus' for decreased latency?)
Zen3/Milan has a target date of Q3 2020. To note, Zen2/Rome dropped later than Zen2/Matisse so it's possible Zen3/Vermeer is Q2 2020 at earliest.
Zen3/Milan is still on 7nm, not 7nmEUV. This is weird since it'd indicate Zen3/Milan was always intended for 7nm, 7nm and 7nmEUV do not have interchangeable design rules. Maybe this is an accidental omission or typo?

Note that the Zen3 Core/L2/L3 size are larger, might indicate a wider core. I mean if you didn't want to communicate that as a possibility you could have just copy-pasted the Zen2 block and adjusted the L3 portion, but instead they did an entirely new block diagram for Zen3. Supporting evidence is that the unified L3 is labeled 32MB+, not 32MB. I mean, the graphic artist would be an idiot too, thread title as precedent, so grain of salt.

loving. Finally.

They are finally merging the goddamn L3 caches on adjacent CCXes together, that I thought was the entire point of the current over/under arrangement on the die, compared to Zen 1's side-by-side layout.

eames
May 9, 2009

posting this here in case somebody is using a Enermax TR AIO for his machine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nttKqzQiZEo

(aircooling is cool and good)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Just slap on a half-decent air cooler and never worry about it again until it's time to upgrade.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Noctua should also be announcing their black D15 this month. If they don't, honestly gently caress 'em and buy a Be Quiet cooler instead if they still can't get their act together.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hey everyone. Just finished installing a Ryzen 3600 and an Asus Prime x570 Pro on my computer, and had a question about the CPU.

It doesn't seem to be clocking down when idle. My power plan is set to balanced, but clocks aren't going below ~2900 Mhz. I updated the bios and installed the chipset drivers which gave me a "Ryzen Balanced" power plan, but same issue. I poked in the advanced settings and the Ryzen Balanced plan has the minimum processor state at 99% which seems weird, but even the regular windows balanced which has minimum at 10% and power saver don't seem to bring the clocks below 2.9-3k.

Any ideas? Any bios setting I may have overlooked?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

Noctua should also be announcing their black D15 this month. If they don't, honestly gently caress 'em and buy a Be Quiet cooler instead if they still can't get their act together.

All of my fans are poo-brown. I like it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dramicus posted:

All of my fans are poo-brown. I like it.

Of course. It's the colour of real fans

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I don't even own a TG(case)!

3peat
May 6, 2010

I would never buy a non-brown noctua

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Hey everyone. Just finished installing a Ryzen 3600 and an Asus Prime x570 Pro on my computer, and had a question about the CPU.

It doesn't seem to be clocking down when idle. My power plan is set to balanced, but clocks aren't going below ~2900 Mhz. I updated the bios and installed the chipset drivers which gave me a "Ryzen Balanced" power plan, but same issue. I poked in the advanced settings and the Ryzen Balanced plan has the minimum processor state at 99% which seems weird, but even the regular windows balanced which has minimum at 10% and power saver don't seem to bring the clocks below 2.9-3k.

Try Ryzen Balanced and see what Minimum CPU Usage or whatever in Power Options is set to. Try lowering it if changing the profile doesn't improve things.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ufarn posted:

Try Ryzen Balanced and see what Minimum CPU Usage or whatever in Power Options is set to. Try lowering it if changing the profile doesn't improve things.

I did, i was at 99% for minimum; set it to 10% but it doesn't seem to be doing anything tbh.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Edmond Dantes posted:

What are you using to check the clocks? I'm pretty sure this thread has concluded that nothing except Ryzen Master shows real clock speeds when idle??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I was somewhat excited when they announced the monitoring SDK, assuming it would be cross-platform so I could get some decent monitoring of my 2700X on Linux.
But I just went to check it out and looks like its Windows 10 only, and Ryzen 3000 series at that. :sad: