Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
These are fantastic maps, thanks! I hope the show's interest inspires some more high quality ones like we got for Game of Thrones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It makes sense if Jordan was strong armed into it.
"Fine, here, here's your stupid map."
"It's boring though"
"You didn't specify you wanted it interesting!"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I like WoT but I've always found the "big rectangle" map to be a little lazy. You can use the breaking to hand-wave it, I guess.

Still used to have fun looking at the map and guessing which country the next book would go to.

Some ancient mad male Aes Sedai was trying to draw a map and went "This would be so much easier if the lines on the edge were straight..."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Always convenient when your fantasy world happens to be the exact aspect ratio of a legal pad.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I kind of like the image of some guy standing on air* a hundred miles up, trying to get an overview, spending years going around moving this mountain five feet to the right, dragging this coastline out, sinking this city full of ten million innocents because it doesn't match my artistic vision Light burn it!

(*yes I know you can't do this with the power)

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

He should've just gotten an atlas and draw random squiggles all over it and handed those in as the maps imo.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Oh and one thing that's in the behind the scenes feature where that map comes from there's a board with the various national designs on it and Seanchen is one of them. Heck yesss

The map probably wouldn't have a separate area marked for Falme/Toman Head if we weren't going there.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

(*yes I know you can't do this with the power)

Yes, but you could open a Gateway in the air a hundred miles up and get a view (let's just ignore the pressure differential, since the book Gateways do the same thing).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Aaaaah I really don't like that bit. It's so ratfic.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also someone ELSE can hold you up with air.

Also did anyone in the books try and like, stand on a door and then lift the door?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
In the AoL they still had actual flying cars when the breaking started, so it's not like your crazy mapmaker would need to contrive himself a ride.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I still find it weird that the AoL had insane magitech up to and including a literal flying research city but the weapons they fight with are largely the Power and ...swords because fencing was the big sport I guess.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Swords weren't the main thing they used, they were toys for rich people, basically. Soldiers used whatever a Shocklance is.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

This owns, love to see cast members convert to being readers but it's even better to see degenerate lifer fans like us in the cast.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

Swords weren't the main thing they used, they were toys for rich people, basically. Soldiers used whatever a Shocklance is.

Probably some sort of ion gun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CainFortea posted:

Also did anyone in the books try and like, stand on a door and then lift the door?

More than that; Elayne channeled her own platform of Air when she did the tightrope trick to join the circus.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

rocketrobot posted:

Yeah there was like a 200 year leadup between the breaching of the Sharom and the War of Power. People went from "wait, swords are weapons?" to laser cannon type poo poo etc.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I assumed that the tightrope act was more like building a structure out of air that could support her. She still had to climb up there herself.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

CainFortea posted:

I think they did this to Egwene for one of her amyrlin speeches.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There you go flying is just a tandem activity now

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

aparmenideanmonad posted:

This owns, love to see cast members convert to being readers but it's even better to see degenerate lifer fans like us in the cast.

Hell yeah, go Uno.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

withak posted:

I assumed that the tightrope act was more like building a structure out of air that could support her. She still had to climb up there herself.

Yeah, Rand builds a staircase/platform he can walk on at one point. Had some weird rules to it to, like one inch over a certain length and the whole thing collapsed. You can support your own weight, but movement and getting there is a separate thing.

rocketrobot posted:

At some point one of the Forsaken talks about them like they had different settings and one of them could stun people, so I always assumed just a giant tazer/lightning gun.

Gully Foyle posted:

Yes, but you could open a Gateway in the air a hundred miles up and get a view (let's just ignore the pressure differential, since the book Gateways do the same thing).

Shield of air over the gateway, and you could just ignore the pressure differential. One of the Aes Sedai even says she can or actually does that to prevent people from seeing it.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Jedit posted:

More than that; Elayne channeled her own platform of Air when she did the tightrope trick to join the circus.

Rand also made his own (st)aircase over the water when he went to Bargain with the Sea Folk.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Just want to say again that I’m beyond hyped that this show is actually happening. They can change as much as they want as long as when we get to the episode titled Tarman Gai’don I’m just as crazy excited as I was when I got to that chapter in the books.

And how many episodes do we think Tarman Gai’don will take? 3… maybe 4?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

th3t00t posted:

Just want to say again that I’m beyond hyped that this show is actually happening. They can change as much as they want as long as when we get to the episode titled Tarman Gai’don I’m just as crazy excited as I was when I got to that chapter in the books.

It was called The Last Battle.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

th3t00t posted:

I bet they will make it the entire final season, with adding a bunch of stuff that was in the background to it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gwaihir posted:

Makes you wonder what the Dark used. Sounds like you had Trollocs in modern battle armor packing heat!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Makes you wonder what the Dark used. Sounds like you had Trollocs in modern battle armor packing heat!

Probably just swords and stuff after too many dumb trollocs mowed down their squad because haha pewpewpew haha

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

jng2058 posted:

For some reason I just always pictured it as the shadow using Trollocs as purely human wave troops, a literal "clog their guns with our bodies" type deal. Realistically there had to be people on the shadow's side using the same arms the light did, otherwise the war would have been pretty short. That, and at first trollocs didn't exist. It was purely human vs human until Aginor got his experiments to work.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I like WoT but I've always found the "big rectangle" map to be a little lazy. You can use the breaking to hand-wave it, I guess.

Still used to have fun looking at the map and guessing which country the next book would go to.

It's probably the worst map of any major franchise I can think of, just totally phoned in. It's kind of funny for a series with so much worldbuilding.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Sinteres posted:

It's probably the worst map of any major franchise I can think of, just totally phoned in. It's kind of funny for a series with so much worldbuilding.

ahem, westeros, essos, sothryos, planetos

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Barreft posted:

ahem, westeros, essos, sothryos, planetos

Those are awful names, but the actual landmass of Westeros at least is way more aesthetically a map than WoT's thumb map.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Sinteres posted:

Those are awful names, but the actual landmass of Westeros at least is way more aesthetically a map than WoT's thumb map.

I was responding to the totally phoned in, which is exactly what Westeros is.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

isn't westeros just barely-altered great britain

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

eke out posted:

Yes. It's England piled on top of upside down Ireland.

EDIT: the Wall is just Hadrian's Wall.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

eke out posted:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i'm listening to the audiobooks again and just got past egwene's testing, and she comes out screaming is there all there is for me, abandoning him and betraying him over and over again?

no. it's not. :unsmith:

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I just want more Logain. He, Nynaeve and Moiraine are by far the stars of the show so far imo

I want to say Mat as well, but we're losing him so. :/

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Reading a Crown of Swords and I'm getting tired of new Aes Sedai showing up and just being like " Obviously my way is the right way". Also Rand and Min finally hook up , just got to that part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Barreft posted:

I just want more Logain. He, Nynaeve and Moiraine are by far the stars of the show so far imo

I want to say Mat as well, but we're losing him so. :/

Thom, too.