Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MechaX posted:

Akuma would use a flip phone too

ryu would use a flip and akuma would use one of them moto g slideout keyboards that only true sickos had

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Demon Flip Phone

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

the phone flips just like he does

e. dammit

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
John Streets is going to craft a deadly and forbidden combination of Psycho Power and the Hadou of Murderous Intent, the first person in history to combine both dark arts, and immediately use it to launch a Metro City grandma into low orbit.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Breetai posted:

John Streets is going to craft a deadly and forbidden combination of Psycho Power and the Hadou of Murderous Intent, the first person in history to combine both dark arts, and immediately use it to launch a Metro City grandma into low orbit.

Don't forget FANG's poison poo poo

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Cat Machine posted:

No two Ryus are allowed to have the same gameplan. Moreso than any other character, you are playing against the player themselves rather than the archetype. I choose to believe most of the people who make it to Plat/Diamond with Ryu are operating on pure 1992 instinct rather than any strategy wiki, YouTube guide or tournament footage

tbh that is absolutely how I got my Ryu to plat when the game first launched

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Technowolf posted:

Don't forget FANG's poison poo poo

Yes, the ability to fart in one's own hand and fling it upon one's opponent is definitely on the same level as those other two things.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://x.com/sajam/status/1785510092894572844?s=46

Seems like a nice way of giving everyone a wake up reversal while still giving an advantage to the characters that have multiple options

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

MechaX posted:

Akuma would use a flip phone too

think about how fast he could smash out t9 once he uses raging demon

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

SEND ONE THOUSAND TEXTS!!!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

morestuff posted:

https://x.com/sajam/status/1785510092894572844?s=46

Seems like a nice way of giving everyone a wake up reversal while still giving an advantage to the characters that have multiple options

actually a really good compromise instead of giving everyone an invincible DP. that alone should be a big boost to kimberly and lily

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Currently touring in-game character guides for a main. Marisa seems cool, but Ken does too and I am tempted to choose evil.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

go with the flow(chart)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Currently touring in-game character guides for a main. Marisa seems cool, but Ken does too and I am tempted to choose evil.

ken's probably #1 or #2 in terms of broad effectiveness, so he's the go to if you just want a guy that can deal with every matchup reasonably well. marisa's a lot of fun with a fairly simple gameplan, although you'll have a period of time where you'll be tearing your hair out trying to learn how to deal with zoners like JP

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

You know that feeling of "this guy sucks, why am I losing?"

I had the opposite of that tonight. This JP was reading me like a loving book. I was getting crushed by air throws and command grabs to the point that I'm like "Christ, why am I so easy to read?"

... and then I 2-0'd him?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

You know that feeling of "this guy sucks, why am I losing?"

I had the opposite of that tonight. This JP was reading me like a loving book. I was getting crushed by air throws and command grabs to the point that I'm like "Christ, why am I so easy to read?"

... and then I 2-0'd him?

a common issue for a lot of people in lower ranks is that they're good at execution but immediately panic and crumble when momentum swings against them. keeping a level head and finding openings back in after you make a bad play is just as much of a skill as being able to pull off combos, but it's a more invisible factor and thus is something that people can miss when they're trying to figure out why they aren't climbing

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/1785529002868011407

I uh... I'll wait to see how it actually shakes out, but lol?

Also this.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 1, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ryu can allegedly use his light and medium specials without spending his denjin charge, which would buff his fireball game immensely.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Are people already getting access to the Season 2/Akuma build of the game at an invitational or something?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Are people already getting access to the Season 2/Akuma build of the game at an invitational or something?

yes at a live sf event this week Japan. they dont allow cameras tho. they did the same with Ed at Capcom Cup.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Pretty happy with the one Manon change I've seen reported - back HP --> EX Grand Fouetté is now a natural combo. I usually only use that route to punish whiffed EX DPs but I'll have to try working it into neutral a bit more now. Fingers crosses they buffed her medal level 4-5 Renversé damage a bit.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I really hope Lily got something cool. She's a character I genuinely want to like but struggle to find anything positive about.

She lives in a world where if I want to pick a character who has obnoxious forward momentum and a command grab, I'd choose Jamie or Honda. That's just sad for her.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
The balance patch coming on 22nd with Akuma or is it coming later? I’m pretty pumped to see the changes.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

unattended spaghetti posted:

The balance patch coming on 22nd with Akuma or is it coming later? I’m pretty pumped to see the changes.

It's supposed to be with Akuma.

Oh, and we're finally getting Outfit 3 for all the DLC characters, too

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I have kind of a weird... question? Issue? Not sure how to get better?

SF6 is the first fighting game I've played thats like... like street fighter. In general before I played BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, and Soul Calibur and I've always followed SF but I've never really played it before. I've mostly been playing Guile because I wanted to try playing a charge character. In general I've been mashing in ranked, even though I know the best way to get better is to play long sets, but even though I originally got placed in literal Rookie I'm in plat 3 now.

I recently played a friend of mine who has been playing SF for a lot longer than I have and they literally beat me proabbly 60 - 20 if I had to guess, even though their combo damage was rear end and they didn't really know how to spend meter. In general they just played super patiently and had great control of spacing and I just felt completely walled out. And I remember watching some Romolla videos when SF6 was knew and about how much she loved the game because spacing was so important and if someone didn't respect spacing and tried to force poo poo she could just completely blow them up. And ever since I watched that video I know that I'm that player who doesn't respect spacing and doesn't really know how to take advantageof it.

Obviously the irony of that is that I think I'm supposed to be the one walling people out, but I feel like I don't even like... really know how to do that? Like the typical day 0 Guile advice everyone gives is ABC - always be charging but like... idk. I absolutely know for a fact that I'm throwing Sonic Booms way too predictably but like I almost feel like I don't know how to wall people out like my friend was doing? Like am I just supposed to hit 2MK, 6HK, 4MK, and 6HP and just poke people to death? How do I actually like... do damage by doing that? Like when do I actually get the chance to go in and blow people up with a combo?

The other thing that feels weird to me is that I feel like ABC is completely counter to the other piece of advice I hear WRT spacing, that you dance into and out of your best range versus their best range. So like my friend was playing Cammy so am I supposed to step into her 5MK range, then back out then whiff punish her 5MK with 6HP? But then I'm giving up charge? Idk it just all feels so foreign and strange to me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you give us some replay codes then it would be easier to give you more specific advice.

ChewyLSB posted:

The other thing that feels weird to me is that I feel like ABC is completely counter to the other piece of advice I hear WRT spacing, that you dance into and out of your best range versus their best range. So like my friend was playing Cammy so am I supposed to step into her 5MK range, then back out then whiff punish her 5MK with 6HP? But then I'm giving up charge? Idk it just all feels so foreign and strange to me.
Guile is a special case because he kind of wants to move using his normals. For example his 5LK will move you forward (it can be dome with 4LK too) and his 4MK will move you backwards, both of which will allow you to keep your charge.
Guile also generally has excellent moves like 2MK and 6HK that should be used to force the opponent to dance around your moves, rather than other way around.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 1, 2024

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Demon Flip Phone

EightFlyingCars posted:

SEND ONE THOUSAND TEXTS!!!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Raging Demon requires a real input even on Modern.
Crisis averted.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Jack Trades posted:

If you give us some replay codes then it would be easier to give you more specific advice.

That makes sense.

Here are some replays from before my long set, just mashing on ranked. Probably shows off my general level 0 flow chart.
CUXLAB8J6
JAX3YDAAY

Here are some replays from probably the midpoint of my very long set with my friend. I was honestly just getting used to using a bunch of normals I hadn't really used before namely Sobot.
P4DM4LHVU
KBXEY44TG

Here's some replays from last night when I was trying to use more normals after my long set with my friend. I was kinda babyraging at myself because I felt like I was getting caught by really stupid poo poo trying to incorporate more normals into my game plan.
HD97BS8HJ
4HT44RBKK

So to preemmpt some advice, I know my anti airs are loving rear end, its been the biggest hole in my game plan since I started playing SF6. I feel like currently for me to anti-air I have to be expecting the jump and also have downcharge. Its so hard for my brain to think to hit 2HP to anti-air, and I don't really get it because I feel like I can 6P with the best of them in GGST.

Last night in particular I was getting extremely frustrated with myself (and playing on tilt is always great as we all know) and I know I started just mashing scrub DI's like an idiot.

I also know I don't back rise nearly enough, I was trying to get used to hitting it all the time in my long set but I know I still don't do it. For some reason it doesn't even enter my brain.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

ChewyLSB posted:

Like am I just supposed to hit 2MK, 6HK, 4MK, and 6HP and just poke people to death? How do I actually like... do damage by doing that? Like when do I actually get the chance to go in and blow people up with a combo?
Yeah, basically. If your opponent has a hard time getting to you and you hit them 20 times for 500 damage each time, you win the round. Also your opponent might get frustrated and do something unsafe, which you can then punish with your Sonic Boom loops with multiple Drive Rushes or whatever you've cooked up in training mode. Playing a zoning character like Guile does take a mindset shift like that.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Guile also has some good pressure tools like DR --> Bazooka Knee if you don't feel like zoning 100% of the time.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

ChewyLSB posted:

I have kind of a weird... question? Issue? Not sure how to get better?

SF6 is the first fighting game I've played thats like... like street fighter. In general before I played BlazBlue, Guilty Gear, and Soul Calibur and I've always followed SF but I've never really played it before. I've mostly been playing Guile because I wanted to try playing a charge character. In general I've been mashing in ranked, even though I know the best way to get better is to play long sets, but even though I originally got placed in literal Rookie I'm in plat 3 now.

I recently played a friend of mine who has been playing SF for a lot longer than I have and they literally beat me proabbly 60 - 20 if I had to guess, even though their combo damage was rear end and they didn't really know how to spend meter. In general they just played super patiently and had great control of spacing and I just felt completely walled out. And I remember watching some Romolla videos when SF6 was knew and about how much she loved the game because spacing was so important and if someone didn't respect spacing and tried to force poo poo she could just completely blow them up. And ever since I watched that video I know that I'm that player who doesn't respect spacing and doesn't really know how to take advantageof it.

Obviously the irony of that is that I think I'm supposed to be the one walling people out, but I feel like I don't even like... really know how to do that? Like the typical day 0 Guile advice everyone gives is ABC - always be charging but like... idk. I absolutely know for a fact that I'm throwing Sonic Booms way too predictably but like I almost feel like I don't know how to wall people out like my friend was doing? Like am I just supposed to hit 2MK, 6HK, 4MK, and 6HP and just poke people to death? How do I actually like... do damage by doing that? Like when do I actually get the chance to go in and blow people up with a combo?

You're for sure lacking patience. (I am too but getting better) Especially coming from other fighting games you want to be pressing buttons all the time, in SF patience wins you games.

A good first step to practicing patience as Guile or DeeJay is you crouch block and just look for the jump in or other unsafe advance and then flash kick. You lose the practice attempt if you were the first to push a button, you win if the opponent approached you or the round timed out. Very, very simple in theory, very hard in practice because there are a hundred reflexes and intuitions ingrained in your body telling you to do things and not sit still.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

"This Denjin Charge news is huge, my time has come, we are so back," says out of practice man in Iron 3 who is lying to himself.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Bisse posted:

You're for sure lacking patience. (I am too but getting better) Especially coming from other fighting games you want to be pressing buttons all the time, in SF patience wins you games.

A good first step to practicing patience as Guile or DeeJay is you crouch block and just look for the jump in or other unsafe advance and then flash kick. You lose the practice attempt if you were the first to push a button, you win if the opponent approached you or the round timed out. Very, very simple in theory, very hard in practice because there are a hundred reflexes and intuitions ingrained in your body telling you to do things and not sit still.

That makes a lot of sense. I remember in one of Romolla's older videos she was talking about how in anime games they tend to reward you for being preemptive, so that makes sense that in my brain I want to be hitting buttons a lot. Just a quick question though, obviously if someone is approaching you, isn't there the classic RPS where its like, being pre-emptive beats running in and jamming buttons which beats dancing into and out of ideal ranges which beats being pre-emptive? I guess like here my question with your practice session is is like lets say someone walks up to my dumb rear end and gets into my 2MK range, am I not supposed to push 2MK... at least sometimes? So they're not always just jamming on my rear end?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Guile also has some good pressure tools like DR --> Bazooka Knee if you don't feel like zoning 100% of the time.

Yeah I have been using this DR more although something that feels weird to me is that when its blocked 90% of the time I just trade 4f normals with my opponent. I guess I could just block instead but trading somehow feels... better question mark. idk

iPodschun posted:

Yeah, basically. If your opponent has a hard time getting to you and you hit them 20 times for 500 damage each time, you win the round. Also your opponent might get frustrated and do something unsafe, which you can then punish with your Sonic Boom loops with multiple Drive Rushes or whatever you've cooked up in training mode. Playing a zoning character like Guile does take a mindset shift like that.

Yeah that makes a ton of sense (also I realized I said 6HP in my og post but I actually meant 4HP since 6HP is the normal that gets me killed 90% of the time because I misinput boom >_>). I guess my other question is kind of like... and this is probably such a stupid loving question but like... when should I be throwing fireballs? I know right now I throw them probably too much, or at least too rhythmically but like... idk it just sometimes feels like I'm doing something to just be doing something, and I know the idea is that you want to cover screenspace but like... idk it just feels so strange to me, like I sometimes don't necessarily know what I'm accomplishing by throwing booms, I'm just doing them in neutral because I feel like I should be?

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

ChewyLSB posted:

That makes a lot of sense. I remember in one of Romolla's older videos she was talking about how in anime games they tend to reward you for being preemptive, so that makes sense that in my brain I want to be hitting buttons a lot. Just a quick question though, obviously if someone is approaching you, isn't there the classic RPS where its like, being pre-emptive beats running in and jamming buttons which beats dancing into and out of ideal ranges which beats being pre-emptive? I guess like here my question with your practice session is is like lets say someone walks up to my dumb rear end and gets into my 2MK range, am I not supposed to push 2MK... at least sometimes? So they're not always just jamming on my rear end?

Yeah I have been using this DR more although something that feels weird to me is that when its blocked 90% of the time I just trade 4f normals with my opponent. I guess I could just block instead but trading somehow feels... better question mark. idk

Yeah that makes a ton of sense (also I realized I said 6HP in my og post but I actually meant 4HP since 6HP is the normal that gets me killed 90% of the time because I misinput boom >_>). I guess my other question is kind of like... and this is probably such a stupid loving question but like... when should I be throwing fireballs? I know right now I throw them probably too much, or at least too rhythmically but like... idk it just sometimes feels like I'm doing something to just be doing something, and I know the idea is that you want to cover screenspace but like... idk it just feels so strange to me, like I sometimes don't necessarily know what I'm accomplishing by throwing booms, I'm just doing them in neutral because I feel like I should be?

the big thing is that if your opponent is eating booms and they aren't perfect parrying them a decent percentage of the time, they're losing drive. burnout is a hardcore lose condition in this game if you know how to run burnout pressure (I don't, lmao, something i have to personally practice.) Not only are you super plus on anything they block, they lose access to drive impact- letting you throw out long normals that aren't special cancellable way more safely- and drive parry, letting them avoid mixups. Guile has a fairly decent overhead iirc, so you can do overhead low mixups super easy when your opponent is burned out- even on block if you hit the overhead, you'll be +1.

This is the main objective of zoning in this game- they have to get in, or be obscenely good at parrying, to not lose on the resource war against guile. and you can deal with people who can consistently parry by varying up fireball speeds and using guile's other tools.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

ChewyLSB posted:

You can and should hit it. the danger is if they manage to walk back out. if they're trying to whiff punish primarily and you're getting blown up for 2mk, then you can switch to doing other things.

ChewyLSB posted:

i'm pretty sure if this is happening you're messing up the timing on hitting a normal after the bazooka knee, you should be at minimum +4? So you might want to lab it a bit in training mode to see if you're messing up the timing. but i'm not a guile player, so i could be wrong.

Also, for what it's worth, exact same thing happened to me. I came from strive, was hanging around floor nine there, placed into rookie and felt like i had to relearn fighting games all over. i think i understand the concepts a lot better now, but it took a minute.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I don't know much about guile, but I know you should be walking behind a cross+boom whenever possible. That plus DR in with an overhead or low is a real pain to deal with for anyone, and Guile is def. at advantage.

Some prelim notes for the new patch:

quote:

▼Everyone
- Remove throw oki after back throw

▼Ryu
- Can choose between normal and denjin charged Hadoken/Hashogeki
(Heavy will be denjin)

▼Chun-Li
- 4MP/6MP: Cannot hit confirm
- SA2: Less meter gain
- H Kikoken: More recovery

▼Dee Jay
- Jacknife: move distance & hit range reduced
- OD Jus Cool > Maximum: more damage scaling
- SA2: Less meter gain for combo after stopping midway

▼Blanka (by Dogura)
- DR Overhead: +1 on block (throw will lose to jab)
- 2LP: always combo into M Rolling

▼Cammy
- 4MP>HK>H Hooligan + HK won't connect (still side switch)
- OD Spin Knuckle: projectile invi starts late
- SA2: changed command from K to P

▼Honda
- Buttslam: more distance on block (2LP doesn't reach)
- 5MP: more range (moving forward)
- Headbutt: won't pass under jumping opponent = can be punished

▼Luke
- J.HP: much bigger hurtbox
- 4HK: less plus frame (cannot combo into itself after punish counter DR4HK)

▼Guile
- Sobat Kick: less range (maybe)
- less meter gain for loop combo (didn't mention if it's exclusive to SA2 loop or not)

▼JP
- SA2: more recovery (cannot combo from light > SA2 > medium attack anymore)
- OD Stribog (Swipe): Can combo into from medium attack and target combo

▼A.K.I
- L Serpent Lash: less knockback distance on toxic trigger, crumple on punish counter
- 2MK: +5 on hit (combo into light, DR2MK into HK)
- 5HP: faster startup
- Venomous Fang: projectile invi (probably from frame 1)
- M Serpent Last: faster startup (maybe?)

▼Jamie
- Heavy Palm: safe on block (not in throw range -2f?)
- OD Command Throw: more damage scaling
- 2MP: +5 on hit, combo into OD palm
- 5MP: +2 on block

▼Zangief
- 6HP: +7 on hit
- Stomping: 1st and 2nd is not true blockstring

▼Kimberly
- OD Senpukyaku: Can cancel into SA2
- SA1: Can choose to not use Spray Can
- H Vagabond Edge: Combo into OD Air Grab
- H Senpukyaku: faster air attack invi (maybe?)

▼Rashid
- SA2: no meter gain when active (even throw)

▼Ken (by Eita)
- MP HP Target Combo always true blockstring. no delay cancel

▼Manon
- 4HP combo into OD Renversé > Grand Fouetté (236PP~K) [no confirm which move got buffed]

▼Lily
- 2HP: bigger hurtbox on whiff (maybe?)

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Nea posted:

i'm pretty sure if this is happening you're messing up the timing on hitting a normal after the bazooka knee, you should be at minimum +4? So you might want to lab it a bit in training mode to see if you're messing up the timing. but i'm not a guile player, so i could be wrong.

I mean on block when its +0 at worst, I just end up trading 4f normals with my opponent 99% of the time. On hit I know I can do a 4f normal into flash kick, or more realistically a 4f normal into misinput flashkick and get sweep and then get blown the gently caress up >_>

Nea posted:

Also, for what it's worth, exact same thing happened to me. I came from strive, was hanging around floor nine there, placed into rookie and felt like i had to relearn fighting games all over. i think i understand the concepts a lot better now, but it took a minute.

That is actually very nice to hear >_>

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Guile is where I started and I"m D4 verging on D5 and finally starting to feel like I have a grasp of how to execute his gameplan and turn the corner between offense and defense (and back) consistently.

Drive rush + slow boom is your friend. Spend some time in the lab to get a few approaches down.
People will start working their way in abusing crossups a lot of the time; so practice delayed FK and if you wanna get saucy, the microwalk FK to force the autocrorrect. Jump back MP or air throw is also worth knowing where to use (angles that are hard to FK mainly)

Learn the Guile boom sweet spot; early on I felt like I got jumped in on a lot when booming, but if you keep the spacing right, you can basically keep good control of the flow of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sye7I2pXQKs
This video is probably the single most important video for a new Guile.

Limit giving up space. Yeah you're not going to do the footsies bounce back and forth as much as a Cammy or Ken or whatever, but you want to limit your walking back*
*this does not mean never walk back, it's one of many options that are present (most important option is wait and look for opportunities to start throwing booms in the above sweet spot)

This is just a jumble of thoughts because I'm rushing outta the office, but feel free to grab me on the discord - would be happy to jump into a custom room and show you some stuff that's helped me

edit: also, I havent had a chance to watch your replays, but block more. Yeah. More. Trust me.

Walked fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

ChewyLSB posted:

I mean on block when its +0 at worst, I just end up trading 4f normals with my opponent 99% of the time. On hit I know I can do a 4f normal into flash kick, or more realistically a 4f normal into misinput flashkick and get sweep and then get blown the gently caress up >_>

That is actually very nice to hear >_>

oh i'll be real i just straight misread his frame data and read the hit column as the block column.