Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Coredump posted:

Are you sure? DOT maybe, but Snell?

Yeah, I guess you're right. But the guy says he bought it for $20 - there's no way in hell a $20 helmet is getting Snell certification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

FunkyJunk posted:

Yeah, I guess you're right. But the guy says he bought it for $20 - there's no way in hell a $20 helmet is getting Snell certification.

Maybe it was on sale? Deep discount to move the stock along?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Anyone heard about the UK SHARP system for helmet ratings?

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

Turtle Parlor
Sep 12, 2005
village idiot

Nate Falls posted:

I was just wondering something: am I the only guy who prefers a motocross helmet in the summer?

I never see anyone else doing it, but in 6 years of riding, I haven't found a full-face street helmet capable of half the airflow as a dirt helmet plus goggles. There's just no comparison. And it's DOT/Snell-approved, so as far as crash tests are concerned there's no difference in how well it protects.

Granted, I wouldn't use it for 500-mile days on the freeway, but for commuting, especially through the city, it beats the poo poo out of my usual street helmets. Plus, they're cheap as hell if you wait for a sale. I got mine for $20 at the Long Beach bike show, and the goggles for another 15 or so.

I admit it would feel weird to wear it on my other, non-dualsport bike, but on a hot day here in LA, I'm pretty sure I'd wear it anyway.

I do this sometimes, but always have that worry in the back of my head a wasp/hornet/stinging insect is going to get stuffed in there at speed. I've had two or three bees go flying in there while MXing, and I do tend to freak out a bit(dump bike and act like loon). The airflow is way better, that's for sure.

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

IAMKOREA posted:

I saw this on the cover of MCN earlier in sainsbury's, the seemed really positive about it at least.

23reasons fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 22, 2008

helot
Nov 3, 2006

jhh posted:

Nice. Where do you live and where did you buy it from?

Edit: Judging from the picture, you got it from ebay. I guess that's the only place you can get one in the US.

helot fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 20, 2008

jhh
Nov 2, 2006

Clever Saying Goes here

helot posted:

Nice. Where do you live and where did you buy it from?

Edit: Judging from the picture, you got it from ebay. I guess that's the only place you can get one in the US.

Correct, it came from eBay. Before I saw it there, I did call/email around: most of the UK companies actually will ship it to you, but they seem to want to tack on the VAT and whatnot (which they're not supposed to), so it comes out being pretty expensive. I think I paid about 240$ including shipping from eBay, so I got a very good deal on it.

Since it's not quite as good a summer helmet as I wanted, I'm going to pick up a Vemar VSR carbon if I can find one for a reasonable price.

Edit: I live in the US (Louisiana).

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

23reasons posted:

I saw this on the cover of MCN earlier in sainsbury's, the seemed really possitive about it at least.

These are the only helmets that received 5 stars from them, although they don't have too many helmets on yet. Some helmets by reputable manufactures have gotten lower ratings, for example the Shoei XR-1000 received 3 stars.

AGV S-4
Arai GP5x
Bell M1
HJC HQ-1
Lazer LZ6
Shark RSR2

I wonder if manufacturers make different helmets for different countries because of the different standards - if I buy an AGV S-4 here in America will it be identical to the ones they sell in England (and therefore the one SHARP tested)? I've heard people say that helmet safety might actually be compromised by trying to conform to SNELL but there's no reason to do so that for the Euro market. Of course the AGV S-4 isn't SNELL anyway, so I'd guess they were identical.

IAMKOREA fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 20, 2008

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

FunkyJunk posted:

Dude. Have you never been to a bike show? Who buys anything at full price at a bike show? It was end of the day on Sunday, when they just start making up new prices so they don't have to pack all that stuff back up.

I didn't say it was a $20 helmet, I just said that's what I got it for.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

IAMKOREA posted:

Read about this as well but they lack a bunch of some-what popular helmets. Wish it was more comprehensive.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
My Oxtar boots came in the mail today, and I think they are quite awesome for $99. The anti-break-your-ankle-system seems to restrict my movement adequately, and the boot itself is pretty comfortable.

I usually wear a 9 street shoe semi-loose and the 8.5 boot fits me nice and snug.

I might have gotten these more expensive Oxtars but they don't have my size.

Just so you know, Oxtar is now TCX so all the Oxtar stuff is being discontinued, especially on Newenough. It's a good brand.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 21, 2008

Ben
Mar 18, 2001
IF YOU'RE CRIPPLED, DON'T COME TO MY GOON MEETS. I'LL TOSS YOUR CRUTCHES IN THE LAKE
I'm trying to get something appropriate for summer and fall commuting. How do these look?

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Alpinestars_TRC1_AirFlo_Sport_Riding_Textile_Jacket--622542.html

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/first_gear/ht_ii_textile_motorcycle_overpants.html

I'm also considering getting some boots, but I'm not sure. Right now I've just a pair of plain Timberlands that don't really provide a lot of ankle protection, any recommendations?

edit: Possibly these,
http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/strada_evo_air_motorcycle_sport_boots.html

Ben fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 21, 2008

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
I want to get some wafflestompers so that when I ride to my buddy's house (< 10mi) to wrench on my bike I don't have to scuff up my good sport boots. Anybody know of a reason why I shouldn't get these?

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/boots/teknic/sturgis_motorcycle_boots.html

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I was wondering about those myself. The styling is not really my thing but the price is right.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What kind of boots should I look for if I want a good mix of protection and price if I have really huge calves? I wear between a size 12 to 13 shoe in US sizes and my calves measure 20.5 inches around and my ankle is 11.5 inches around. Anyone got any recommendations?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My proportions aren't quite the same as yours but I have a ton of extra room around the calves with my Oxtar Explorers (check the last two pages for info on them).

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Galler posted:

My proportions aren't quite the same as yours but I have a ton of extra room around the calves with my Oxtar Explorers (check the last two pages for info on them).

Didn't Oxtar get changed to another name? I don't think these will be easy to find?

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

gotly posted:

All right, I've looked all over and I can't find anything that meets my criteria. Hopefully someone can help.

Perforated leather. 105 degree Iowa summers are coming and I need the most breathable jacket possible.
CE Rated armor on the outside (I guess this is optional, didn't get very many responses). Armor in between the jacket and my skin is really uncomfortable.
Silver/gray or just not black.
Budget is $200-$300.

Still looking for a decent perforated leather jacket. The selection at the usual places seems to be sparse.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

gotly posted:

Still looking for a decent perforated leather jacket. The selection at the usual places seems to be sparse.

What about the Troy Lee designs jacket? You never said what you thought of it and it meets your requirements?

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Coredump posted:

What about the Troy Lee designs jacket? You never said what you thought of it and it meets your requirements?

It seems like overkill for around town/highway riding. It seems geared toward supermoto riders and I have a feeling that the temperature control is meant for higher speeds. Plus it's black.

I'm looking for a jacket that I'll be happy wearing (or just not miserable in it) during the summer. I currently have a decent Cordura jacket but it's waterproof so the only ventilation is through the designated vents which are only helpful at higher speeds.

Edit: This looks about perfect, if a bit pricey.

Edit 2: No, I take it back. This is perfect. Good armor, "perfect for hot weather", and it even is in the color scheme I want! Too bad they don't have it in medium!

gotly fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 22, 2008

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

gotly posted:

Edit 2: No, I take it back. This is perfect. Good armor, "perfect for hot weather", and it even is in the color scheme I want! Too bad they don't have it in medium!

That's not leather. I have one of the earlier versions of that jacket, though, and it works well in hot weather.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

FunkyJunk posted:

That's not leather. I have one of the earlier versions of that jacket, though, and it works well in hot weather.
I have that exact version of the jacket, and it works pretty well, but yeah, it's not leather, and definitely will not protect you as such. When you get done, lots of the holes will be plugged up with bug guts though. Who needs expensive protein shake mix when you've got a mesh jacket?

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
Yeah I saw it wasn't leather but my understanding of mesh is that it will still protect you but it's only good for one fall. After looking around it seems people are recommending perforated leather as being better for hot weather than those mesh jackets so I'll keep looking.

23reasons
Mar 23, 2006

Sha Clack Clack

Coredump posted:

Didn't Oxtar get changed to another name? I don't think these will be easy to find?

No, Oxtar are still going strong. I don't know about the Explorers, but I have a pair of Oxtar TCS's that I got about 6 months ago.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

23reasons posted:

No, Oxtar are still going strong. I don't know about the Explorers, but I have a pair of Oxtar TCS's that I got about 6 months ago.

They did change their name. Oxtar is now TCX.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/mcn/2007/August/aug28-sept3/aug3007oxtarshasbecometcx/?&R=EPI-94131

Edit: TCX, not TCS, and fixed l9ink.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jun 22, 2008

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

Coredump posted:

23reasons posted:

Actually, Oxtar changed their name to TCX due to legal issues with Alpinestars. You can still find some Oxtar stuff for sale, though. Newenough still has some on closeout. http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/all_types/oxtar/

e: beaten, but I got the new name right.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
could someone please go over the differences between mesh and textile? i'm looking for a riding jacket but i don't really know what i should be going for. if it helps i live in houston, and its always hotter than hell. links to what you guys think would work, or even links to your own gear would help me out =)

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
All right, I've pretty much settled on this jacket. I figure mesh is what I'll need to not pass out during the wonderful Iowa weather here. I'm looking for a couple goon's blessings though before I pull the trigger.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Veritas posted:

could someone please go over the differences between mesh and textile? i'm looking for a riding jacket but i don't really know what i should be going for. if it helps i live in houston, and its always hotter than hell. links to what you guys think would work, or even links to your own gear would help me out =)

Mesh is just that...a mesh jacket. Typically they have solid armor in locations where you'd slide, because the mesh itself isn't particularly abrasion resistant. Great cause they flow a lot, not so great in an accident depending on how you slide.

Textiles are typically solid material, that is abrasion resistant...the best ones can come close to leather in terms of abrasion resistance.

What sort of riding will you do?

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Z3n posted:

Mesh is just that...a mesh jacket. Typically they have solid armor in locations where you'd slide, because the mesh itself isn't particularly abrasion resistant. Great cause they flow a lot, not so great in an accident depending on how you slide.

Textiles are typically solid material, that is abrasion resistant...the best ones can come close to leather in terms of abrasion resistance.

What sort of riding will you do?

nothing to hardcore. been riding less than a month. so far just been riding around the neighborhood/suburbs at a pretty good clip. eventually when i build up enough balls and confidence it would be cool to commute to and from work. i want something thats offers decent protection, while being somewhat cool since houston summers are brutal. from what i've read. mesh seems to weak, and leather to expensive. maybe textile is the way to go.

i kinda like these:
http://www.newenough.com/protective...cle_jacket.html

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/cortech_by_tour_master/fsx_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/cortech_by_tour_master/gx_air_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/atomic_3_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/phoenix_4_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

Sybok
May 25, 2006
If anyone has a Cycle Gear near them go and search the store for discounted winter gear. I found a pair of Dainese Jerico-R for $40. drat fine find I think.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Veritas posted:

nothing to hardcore. been riding less than a month. so far just been riding around the neighborhood/suburbs at a pretty good clip. eventually when i build up enough balls and confidence it would be cool to commute to and from work. i want something thats offers decent protection, while being somewhat cool since houston summers are brutal. from what i've read. mesh seems to weak, and leather to expensive. maybe textile is the way to go.

i kinda like these:
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/cortech_by_tour_master/gx_air_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

I have this one. I'm very happy with it, it has a fair bit of leather compared to a lot of mesh jackets but is still amazingly cool compared to my perforated leather jacket. It also has elbow and shoulder armor and a back protector. I would recommend it.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Sybok posted:

If anyone has a Cycle Gear near them go and search the store for discounted winter gear. I found a pair of Dainese Jerico-R for $40. drat fine find I think.

Aw I was out that way today for an interview. I don't have the money anyways to buy gear, but maybe I'll sneak a peak at my store.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I just got my pants and jacket today, awesome!

I have a question... Are the zipped in liners supposed to add extra protection or are they for weather purposes only? I took the liners out of my pants and jacket because I originally thought they were for cold weather, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks!

The Shep fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 23, 2008

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I just got my pants and jacket today, awesome!

I have a question... Are the zipped in liners supposed to add extra protection or are they for weather purposes only? I took the liners out of my pants and jacket because I originally thought they were for cold weather, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks!

If you're in a situation where the exterior part of the suit has deteriorated enough that you're relying on the inner liners, you're probably in a lot of trouble anyway. Short answer: no, they're just for warmth/water resistance.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

gotly posted:

If you're in a situation where the exterior part of the suit has deteriorated enough that you're relying on the inner liners, you're probably in a lot of trouble anyway. Short answer: no, they're just for warmth/water resistance.

Well I have textile stuff so I imagine it's good for one use only. But if that one time use would be safer with the liner in then I'd keep it, that's what I was trying to get at. Thanks though, think I'll keep em out so I don't bake.

Edit - New question:

My pants came with a zipper attachment at the lower back for, I presume, attachment to the jacket. But my A* jacket doesn't have the zipper. Should I go ahead and sew on the zipper atachment from the pants to the bottom of the jacket? What do you guys recommend?

Edit 2 - Another question!

If I get a separate spine protector, do I remove the foam pad that's inserted into the back of my jacket?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 24, 2008

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!

French Canadian posted:

Oxtar boots

Looking for some boots and these seem cheap and very effective. They say racing boots- does that mean they'd be too much for commuting?
..Is there even such a thing as too much?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I picked up a pair of Scorpion Exo Stinger gloves yesturday and I love the hell out of them. They have a nice hard knuckle shell that seems to fit over my knuckles perfectly and the rest of the glove is really well put together.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=3056

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

My pants came with a zipper attachment at the lower back for, I presume, attachment to the jacket. But my A* jacket doesn't have the zipper. Should I go ahead and sew on the zipper atachment from the pants to the bottom of the jacket? What do you guys recommend?

YES! I'm apparently becoming the connecting zipper nazi around here. The zippers keep your jacket from riding up and keeps you sliding on the back of the jacket instead of your real back. Speaking from experience, if you don't have the connector the jacket will ride up and its not fun. Best is to use some sort of kevlar thread (all over the place on the internet) so you don't have to worry about the connection popping apart if its dragged on the cement.

quote:

If I get a separate spine protector, do I remove the foam pad that's inserted into the back of my jacket?

You don't necessarily have to, but it can be pretty uncomfortable if you don't depending on the jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Atomic Hotdog posted:

Looking for some boots and these seem cheap and very effective. They say racing boots- does that mean they'd be too much for commuting?
..Is there even such a thing as too much?

No, and no. I wear my Daytonas everywhere. The only downside to racing boots is they tend to be a little flash for most people's sensibilities if you're just walking around, and they can be somewhat uncomfortable depending on design and how you walk. Either way, higher quality gear is always good.