Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Here to report that I joined the goons on KGS and they've been remarkably helpful so far, with everything from setting up a rank to reviewing games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

How the hell do I google for Go clubs in my city?

This is as futile as an abbot and costello skit :smith:

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

The General posted:

you might try meetup.com. Otherwise, maybe Go hasn't taken off in your city. Even in a college town of 40,000 it's still up to me to make my own club.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Hipster Scumbag posted:

you might try meetup.com. Otherwise, maybe Go hasn't taken off in your city. Even in a college town of 40,000 it's still up to me to make my own club.

I live in a University/College city of 350,000 or more. Just googling for "Go London Ontario" is pretty futile, as is Go Club, Go Game, Go Meeting.

I have a really really hard time learning poo poo on a computer. Im not focused on the game and need real live play. Ugh.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

The General posted:

I live in a University/College city of 350,000 or more. Just googling for "Go London Ontario" is pretty futile, as is Go Club, Go Game, Go Meeting.

I have a really really hard time learning poo poo on a computer. Im not focused on the game and need real live play. Ugh.

http://senseis.xmp.net/?GoPlacesInCanada
http://senseis.xmp.net/?PlacesWithoutAClub
http://www.go-canada.org/clubs.php

Guaranteed there is a club somewhere in your city (there are three in mine which is about the same size) but because Go clubs are run by old people they don't advertise very well. Either that or start your own

The General
Mar 4, 2007

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?GoPlacesInCanada
http://senseis.xmp.net/?PlacesWithoutAClub
http://www.go-canada.org/clubs.php

Guaranteed there is a club somewhere in your city (there are three in mine which is about the same size) but because Go clubs are run by old people they don't advertise very well. Either that or start your own

Hahah.
Sault Ste. Marie has one, but London doesn't. This owns. As for starting a club, I lack the resources/time to do so. I have to pick and choose my battles, and I think Go loses.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

The General posted:

There's a club in Waterloo; that seems to be about as close as you're going to get.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

What are your thoughts about learning on a 19x19?
I feel playing smaller boards will stunt my growth, but maybe it scales perfectly?

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

The General posted:

I feel playing smaller boards will stunt my growth, but maybe it scales perfectly?

There's nothing wrong with playing on 9x9 for a little bit just to learn the obvious small-scale stuff - the way an opponent can wrap around under an undefended corner, the shortest possible ladder (one stone, dying on the 2nd line), the 3rd line crunch... after a while though you can only learn so much from igowin.exe. The tactical stuff is important to get a sense for just so that you don't completely blow it but the bigger-picture strategy is probably more important.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

9x9 is fun and informative when you're just starting out but 19x19 is literally the only real way to fly

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

The General posted:

When I learned the basics, I spent three games on smaller boards to get the hang of the rules and then went up to 19x19 immediately. I think it's a good idea.

The only benefit of staying on small boards at the very beginning is that games are over quickly. As long as you can accept you're not going to find the best move and don't spend too much time on a 19x19, moving up ASAP is probably best.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

If anyone has a copy Attack and Defense, could they turn to page 62/63, and help me out:

In the second paragraph he asks the reader where the most severe attack is, it's a in Diag. 5. But by Diag 7, white can follow up black 7 and make 1 eye; further more, black's group to the left has been captured by 2, and the remaining stones are baseless.

Why not just grip the triangled stone in Diag. 2, let white play b, black c, then (which was white's aim all along) white has to secure the cut to make it any use and then black can attack A in Diag. 5 anyway?

Seriously makes no sense.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

If anyone has a copy Attack and Defense, could they turn to page 62/63, and help me out:

In the second paragraph he asks the reader where the most severe attack is, it's a in Diag. 5. But by Diag 7, white can follow up black 7 and make 1 eye; further more, black's group to the left has been captured by 2, and the remaining stones are baseless.

Why not just grip the triangled stone in Diag. 2, let white play b, black c, then (which was white's aim all along) white has to secure the cut to make it any use and then black can attack A in Diag. 5 anyway?

Seriously makes no sense.

I'm not sure I get it either. I guess that if White wants to defend that stone on the 2nd line (which he might want to - give himself an eye, rather than Black) he'll play 8 right above 5, black 9 captures, white 10 is gote. Maybe with sente Black can help the left side by playing something like B himself. Otherwise, it looks like White still has the option of the original b-c exchange.

I'm pretty bad at using influence, but what's white going to do with that strength in dia 4? Attack the black group on the left? It seems like white is still too thin on the 2nd-3rd lines to prevent black's connecting under or securing a base.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Black plays this sequence because he makes profit on the right. His weak group is not really in much danger because the triangled points are basically miai - white can play one space to the right of the cut to protect it and maybe make some half-assed eyeshape, but if he does black can play out and attack, which is going to be sente. Black can make a few attacking moves to stabilize his top group, then relax; both groups can survive pretty easily but black comes out ahead because he got his profit on the right before they even began.

If black just protects his weak group like a stupid baby, white forces him with that atari real fast and then plays somewhere on the right to ruin the area. If white plays at say, black 1, a black attempt to make that cut turns it into a squeeze play that allows white to make good shape.

The idea of the diagram is that you should a. recognize that the damage taken to the top group is not at all lethal, because of the miai, and b. realize that you should not try to accumulate territory with your weak stones. Your weak group is weak for a reason - it is drawing fire and moving through the center so you can get your profit elsewhere. If the whole thing is only worth two points at the end, then your stones did their job.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Thanks Hels. I spent too much time focusing on the local situation but the triangled point above top black group says it all, white is squeezed on both sides

60HzHum
Mar 8, 2008

Would anyone mind schooling my fool self? I've played off and on for a few years now, but never very well. I used to be around 16k on KGS, but I seem to be hovering down around 20k now. I don't know if I got terrible or if the world go community has been practicing. I'm on KGS as JackG. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Thanks, tygem

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I just got the SmartGo Pro app for my Ipod Touch and I'm now going through the tutorials. Anyone use that?

Any general tips for an absolute beginner Go player? Books, programs, whatever?

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Under 15 posted:

Thanks, tygem

What am I (and Tygem) missing here?

-Blackadder- posted:

I just got the SmartGo Pro app for my Ipod Touch and I'm now going through the tutorials. Anyone use that?

Get on KGS, play a lot of quickly-paced games on automatch with other beginners, maybe practice your 9x9 against igowin.exe, try to dig up a copy of Opening Theory Made Easy by Hideo Otake. Otake's book is really easy to understand and tells you what your goals should be in the early & midgame, which gives you an excellent starting point for the whole game.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Hipster Scumbag posted:

That Hels didn't lose by 4030.5 points.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn

Blendy posted:

That Hels didn't lose by 4030.5 points.

oh, didn't see that the gamescore was different from what was indicated on the board. that's quite a victory!

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

Play games, play lots of them. Just, play games of Go

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Hipster Scumbag posted:

Get on KGS, play a lot of quickly-paced games on automatch with other beginners, maybe practice your 9x9 against igowin.exe, try to dig up a copy of Opening Theory Made Easy by Hideo Otake. Otake's book is really easy to understand and tells you what your goals should be in the early & midgame, which gives you an excellent starting point for the whole game.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 27, 2011

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Hipster Scumbag posted:

oh, didn't see that the gamescore was different from what was indicated on the board. that's quite a victory!

It would be easier to stomach if I hadn't actually won by four

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Just played the first game. Got c.r.e.a.med, but those guys are good. They know what's up.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

The General posted:

You could search for 'igo', 'weiqi', or 'baduk'.

Or other go lingo maybe, like 'sente' or whatever.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

big business sloth posted:

Just played the first game. Got c.r.e.a.med, but those guys are good. They know what's up.

It was a tad unfair, because you should have had a handicap. But I hope we covered some basics.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Mar 28, 2011

xenophule
Jan 29, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

There's a section called "Problems"; go through all of these and you'll learn more about the game than a lot of people.

Also; the Learn to Play Go series is excellent
http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Play-Go-Masters-Ultimate/dp/1453632891/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301330020&sr=8-1
http://www.amazon.com/Way-Moving-Horse-Learn-Play/dp/0964479621/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301330020&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Style-Learn-Play-Service/dp/096447963X/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1301330020&sr=8-6
http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Play-Go-Battle-Strategies/dp/0964479648/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1301330020&sr=8-3
http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Play-Go-Palace-Memory/dp/0964479656/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1301330020&sr=8-4
They're written by a Japanese master and an English lady. I own them all, and they're the best Go books I've seen anywhere. Easy to read, highly informative, and actually fun to follow.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

It was a tad unfair, because you should have had a handicap. But I hope we covered some basics.

Most definitely. I'll be around again soon enough.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
It's much easier to lose a lot of games than reading books, so go lose a lot of games, don't be a pussy like darkgray.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
June 2nd 2010

Wrojin posted:

I haven't played Go in ~15 years. I learned in the mid-70's, played clubs and tourneys, and got to around 4kyu (Canada). I've been too embarrassed to play online because I'm so rusty, and it seems weird not to have my opponent sitting across from me.

I'm miserable with bronchitis right now, but maybe later this week I'll make an account on KGS and see if I can bloody up some goons.

I do have something to share beyond idle threats, though. Here's a script for *nix users to download some pro games. I've collected around 8K games with it. It's a good way to keep up to date: just run it weekly or monthly.

http://www.godiscussions.com/forum/...read.php?t=7649

Also, how does gnugo compare with other Go AIs out there? Maybe I'll try warming up with it.

Mar 19th, 2011

Wrojin posted:

What room? I haven't played in fifteen years or so and I'm trying to build up the guts to try playing online. I used to be 4k -- Canadian Go Association rating. I probably rate at 100k right now.

Keep up the excuses! Looking forward to your 2012 post in the thread.

xenophule
Jan 29, 2011
Wrojin, I'll be looking for you!

I too have played Go for years and found out I am rusty as all get-out. Just had my rear end handed to me in every embarrassing fashion you can imagine in Go.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Athanos posted:

June 2nd 2010

Mar 19th, 2011

Strong words from a man who has played a grand total of two rated games this year

EDIT: you may not even be tied with elementc with numbers like those

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 30, 2011

Wrojin
Nov 10, 2008

Quixoticist

Athanos posted:

June 2nd 2010

Mar 19th, 2011

Ha ha, I forgot about that other post. Now I know for sure that I'm a procrastinating pussy (in case there was any doubt).

I did honestly wonder if the SA room on KGS is really the Something Awful room; I've looked at it a couple times, but never saw many people there.

xenophule posted:

Wrojin, I'll be looking for you!

You never know, some year I might just show up.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Under 15 posted:

Strong words from a man who has played a grand total of two rated games this year

EDIT: you may not even be tied with elementc with numbers like those

I have a super secret cell phone account I bum around on from time to time...

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

Wrojin posted:

I did honestly wonder if the SA room on KGS is really the Something Awful room; I've looked at it a couple times, but never saw many people there.
It is, or rather was, we had to make a private room so we could all stop getting banned constantly.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

WuChou posted:

It is, or rather was, we had to make a private room so we could all stop getting banned constantly.

Most of the people in itgo are also in SA, but not all, so what you saw was probably pretty representative of that time of day

KGS is not exactly crawling with goons :smith:

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Sunday nite crew was a good crew, do y'all just show up randomly or what?

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

big business sloth posted:

Sunday nite crew was a good crew, do y'all just show up randomly or what?

Whenever we don't have anything better to do (always)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

It does vary, there are quite a few European players so evening their time is usually the time to visit; it was pretty lively yesterday.