Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

lilljonas posted:

There's a preview of Hail Caesar, a.k.a Black Powder! with togas, here:
http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=10059

Also some insanely large tables keeling over at the weight of thousands of miniatures. I'm kind of looking forward to it now. I'm kind of intrigued about their choice to cut down a lot of rules and fidgeting with skirmishers by simply giving most infantry units a ranged attack to represent everything from pila to skirmishers slowing down opposing units.

Looks awesome- Im a huge fan of Black Powder, and Im not as keen on Warhammer Ancients as the rest of my gaming group is, so I may try introudcing this to corrupt them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
So, casting in resin is a complete bitch and I ruined about four attempts at the silicone mould after getting lucky on my first one. But I ordered more silicone, and things are going better now that I completely disregard the instructions.

Here's some more 6mm stuff:

Current complete lineup:

I did a lot of trial casts of the first house. Here's the medieval Japanese version of MacMansion Town:

Here are some greens that are almost finished and I'll cast next:

It's a ton of work because of the bubbles that I have to fill in with green stuff, but I'm starting to learn what kinds of details I can and can not do without causing too much bubbles. But I really want a vacuum chamber now!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Dude, I am really impressed. That stuff looks really good and makes me wish I had a need for 15mm Asian terrain.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

Dude, I am really impressed. That stuff looks really good and makes me wish I had a need for 15mm Asian terrain.

6mm. ;) But I'll probably start doing 15mm stuff soon because it's frustrating not to be able to do more details. If I do more details, the bubbles will wreak havoc at 6mm.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I'm even more impressed now that I know those are half as big as I thought they were. I can't wait to see what you can do in 15mm (and 28mm, so maybe my Eldar can have some cool houses where they make their ninja stars for their ninja star guns).

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Lord Commissar posted:

Are there other places to get information?

Also, you can talk to most of us on IRC. irc.synirc.net #tinypewtermen
Thanks for adding this to the OP!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

lilljonas posted:

But I really want a vacuum chamber now!

Step 1: buy a 5 gallon bucket

Step 2: buy a Shop-Vac

Step 3: Drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket large enough for the vacuum's hose to fit snugly into, then glue aquarium airpump hose around the edge. Do the same for the top rim of the bucket.

Step 4: Pour your resin, place the bucket over your mold upside-down, hit the power button on your vacuum and wait about 10 seconds, then turn the vacuum off and remove the bucket.

Congratulations, you have a homemade vacuum/degas chamber :)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Silhouette posted:

Step 1: buy a 5 gallon bucket

Step 2: buy a Shop-Vac

Step 3: Drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket large enough for the vacuum's hose to fit snugly into, then glue aquarium airpump hose around the edge. Do the same for the top rim of the bucket.

Step 4: Pour your resin, place the bucket over your mold upside-down, hit the power button on your vacuum and wait about 10 seconds, then turn the vacuum off and remove the bucket.

Congratulations, you have a homemade vacuum/degas chamber :)

Have you tried it yourself? I read a lot of "just attach a vacuum cleaner to a bucket!" tips online, but I haven't really seen good pictures of a working example of it, with results. Anyway, might as well try it later on. Today I sat through an eight hour lecture by the tax office on registering my company. Ungh. Time to make some greens instead.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does anybody know what's up with Minifigs / GFI? Apparently they're out of business now, but for some reason nerd-industry news exists only on forums.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well the site is "down for maintenance" but I don't know if they're out of business.

Did you try calling?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Just tried - call was forwarded to GFI's voicemail, but the box was full (please hang up). There's some internet reports of drama, and apparently it's under new management and maybe one guy is trying to run the whole show.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

lilljonas posted:

Have you tried it yourself? I read a lot of "just attach a vacuum cleaner to a bucket!" tips online, but I haven't really seen good pictures of a working example of it, with results. Anyway, might as well try it later on. Today I sat through an eight hour lecture by the tax office on registering my company. Ungh. Time to make some greens instead.

No, but it's a proven design that a bunch of dudes on the Hirst Arts forums use. Someone used a clear bucket and posted pictures of the actual degassing process, but it was months ago and i'd never be able to find the specific thread. But even if it doesn't work, it's maybe $10 worth of material to build one if you already own a shop-vac, so it's an acceptable risk.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Silhouette posted:

No, but it's a proven design that a bunch of dudes on the Hirst Arts forums use. Someone used a clear bucket and posted pictures of the actual degassing process, but it was months ago and i'd never be able to find the specific thread. But even if it doesn't work, it's maybe $10 worth of material to build one if you already own a shop-vac, so it's an acceptable risk.

I checked the shop-vac homepage, is it specifically a high powered vacuum cleaner or would any vacuum cleaner do?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yeah, any standard vacuum with a hose attachment should work.
Shop-Vac is just the brand name for a line of high-powered wet/dry canister vacuums, usually used in mechanics or woodworker's shops (hence the name :v: ).

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Decided Im defintly buying Hail Caesar- the article on Warlord Games site make it sound great, and the lists that Rick Priestley has stuck up on the Hail Caesar Yahoo Group look decent. I am going to play it with 6mm figs as I have a load of 6mm Baccus Early Imperial Romans that I havent got round to painting yet.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

lilljonas posted:

There's a preview of Hail Caesar, a.k.a Black Powder! with togas, here:
http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=10059

Also some insanely large tables keeling over at the weight of thousands of miniatures. I'm kind of looking forward to it now. I'm kind of intrigued about their choice to cut down a lot of rules and fidgeting with skirmishers by simply giving most infantry units a ranged attack to represent everything from pila to skirmishers slowing down opposing units.

Theres been a lot of moaning on TMP by the Grognards about the ranged attack for all units (Phalanxes with missile fire- oh my god, bless my beard) , but having read the latest article on Warlord Games it looks like that close range stat is only under 6 inches but is also to represent the supporting attacks in a multi unit combat, which makes sense then for units such as pikemen to have a fairly high stat.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The sperging about it is silly, anyway. I bet the first page in the rules section will say "If you don't like some of these rules, don't use them!"

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Black Powder is pretty explicitly "yeah we just put together this rule system we like for playing narrative games, house rule the poo poo out of it if you want" so I imagine Hail Caesar will be the same.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I've never seen a game that DIDN'T say that, but that's exactly what I mean. Black Powder is all about that, and these grognards are sperging out about one tiny rule that probably even maskes sense in the context of the rules (that none of them have read yet).

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I think the biggest issue is that the market is pretty much saturated with tournament style rulesets and something this freeform is almost unheard of for ancients, as opposed to horse and musket (which rarely has points, extensive army lists/builders etc). The big games like Impetus, Field of Glory, DBA/DBx are tightly designed and balanced, with mostly reiterations of the same game concepts that have been in the mix for decades. So for a game like Hail Caesar to come along and introduce a level of abstraction like giving phalanxes a skirmish value, and a design philosophy of "we really just wanna have fun pushing mans around v :) v" is obviously going to be met with resistance and funny looks from the more grognardy amongst us.

Black Powder even had a lot of resistance simply for the fact that the rules were supposed to be "fun" more than they were "historically accurate", which was a wild notion especially amongst Napoleonic gamers, but since its release there has been quite a few people to come around to it. It seems too, that games like Lasalle and Blucher are mixing the two extremes of "a game with a little resemblance to the period (Black Powder)" and "an ultra realistic simulation (old school grognardy games like Empire/GdeB)" to create something that feels like the period without actually being constrained to stupid things like ground scale, time scale, ratios and base depths. I like FoG, but if Hail Caesar can break this tournament mindset that ancients rules designers seem to be stuck in and just make a game that's fun to play, I can get on board with that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The problem I've always had with the grogs and their "tournament" rules and balancing is that isn't historical, either.

Forces are rarely evenly matched. If you want to play a(n) historical scenario, then who even needs points?

If you want to play a "what-if" scenario of equally balanced troops, then don't pretend your rules are historically accurate.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
I fell in love with the idea of fun gaming with Black Powder as well as the emphasis being on proper scenarios not just 2 balanced armies lining up and having a bash. Its worked really well for Napoleonics in our gaming group, and Im looking forward to taking that into Ancients, which is where our group started its move into historicals away from GW all those years ago!

We've been playing Warhammer Ancient Battles for years, and while it can be fun, its never quite felt right to me for certain eras. For Romans in particular it just never looked or felt right. The best games of WAB we have had ever had have been Dark Ages games, where the large scale skirmish feel of WAB suits the tactics and era.

We also branched out into Warmaster Ancients and that seemed to suit Classical and Biblical era battles much better, and we fell in love with having a command system (which then saw us branching out into other Warmaster derivatives such as Blitzkrieg Commander) but one thing that never felt right to me for Warmaster Ancients was the close combat rules which always felt clunkier and more confusing than they should.

Hopefully with Hail Caesar its going to be the answer to my wants- a decent comman system, a good way of replicating the look of ancient battles and an elegant close combat system. Its top of my purchase list for Salure this year

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I'm really interested in whether it can be used for my samurai armies or not. Late 16th century is sort of just before the warfare Black Powder is designed to portrait, so I've been hesitant to pick it up. However, I'm a bit afraid that Hail Caesar would be far too early and not be suitable. Or will it be possible to combine the two in some homemade way? Either way it will be nice to find out.

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh

lilljonas posted:

I'm really interested in whether it can be used for my samurai armies or not. Late 16th century is sort of just before the warfare Black Powder is designed to portrait, so I've been hesitant to pick it up. However, I'm a bit afraid that Hail Caesar would be far too early and not be suitable. Or will it be possible to combine the two in some homemade way? Either way it will be nice to find out.

Id imagine you could combine them easily enough.

They are making a Pike and Shot supplement apparently for Black Powder, specifically for the ECW, but surely that would work well for Samurai?

To be honest I know gently caress all about Samurai battles and tactics, so Im loathe to say wether either would work, but I imagine they would.

Ive copy pasted this from the BP Yahoo group if this is any help

quote:

Last Saturday I ran another one of my 15mm Sengoku period Samurai games using Black Powder at the locak Barrage convention in Baltimore. I ran a new scenario which had a lot more maneuver then my previouis scenarios.

It pitted Oda Nobunaga vs the Ikko Ikki at Nagashima in 1574. The rules work very good for this period. Light guns are treated as manhandled smoothbore battalion guns without cannister so only 2 shooting dice at close. Arquebus are treated as smoothbore carbines. Mounted Samurai have Lancer and Heavy Cavalry and 3+ morale, Foot Samurai have Tough Fighters and 3+ Morale. Ashigaru are mixed units of arqubus/bow and spear and have 2 shooting dice. Ikko Ikki or Rabble have Bloodthristy but only have 5 combat dice and 5+ Morale.

EDIT in fact someone has uploaded a Samurai mod for BP on the group.

http://rapidshare.com/files/448907984/Gleaming_Katanas.doc

Im not sure about all the special rules hes invented as I know nothing about Samurai, but the army lists themselves look reasonable.

Jinjin Bemar fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 20, 2011

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Jinjin Bemar posted:

Id imagine you could combine them easily enough.

They are making a Pike and Shot supplement apparently for Black Powder, specifically for the ECW, but surely that would work well for Samurai?

To be honest I know gently caress all about Samurai battles and tactics, so Im loathe to say wether either would work, but I imagine they would.

Ive copy pasted this from the BP Yahoo group if this is any help

EDIT in fact someone has uploaded a Samurai mod for BP on the group.

http://rapidshare.com/files/448907984/Gleaming_Katanas.doc

Im not sure about all the special rules hes invented as I know nothing about Samurai, but the army lists themselves look reasonable.

Awesome, I'll check it out. :)

Edit:

I finished two new moulds. First out is the biggest one this far, a large warehouse/store likely to be found in a busy larger city. It's actually one of the first houses that I designed, but it was wrecked by an early botched mould making session and a lot of things had to be re-done. The second is a wedge-shaped house with thatched walls, a common design in the north and in the mountains where they get very heavy snowfall. I'm especially happy about this one as I managed to squeeze in almost all the detail for an exact copy of an actual house, one I found in a historical architecture book I picked up in Sapporo this winter.

Finally a small overview of various houses now that the styles are a bit more varied. Also two smaller houses that I'm making to give even more diversity to the village.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 20, 2011

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

New homepage is live, and I'm finally open for business! Making a logo and design and stuff was a real chore, but I'm much happier with the look now.

http://www.muraminiatures.com/

Jinjin Bemar
Apr 5, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Fair play, they look seriously tops.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oh yeah, look at that!

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Where can I get my own Heracles in a cowboy hat?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Immortal Miniatures, although I couldn't find those specific models on the site.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

So those Polish early war guys in FoW look pretty badass. Elite cavalry taking on tanks and artillery trains and poo poo? Gatdamn, that's rad as hell. But I don't have the rules or anything. It looks like the Open Fire! box set is actually the same price as the core rulebook on Amazon, but then I need the Blitzkrieg book also?

Can anybody familiar with FoW and the early war Polish in particular give me an idea of where to start and not explode my wallet?

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 2, 2011

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm not sure which book the Poles are in. The Open Fire! box is a great starter kit, anyway, as you get the mini rulebook (but go to Kinko's and get it rebound).

Also: http://theminiaturespage.com/news/71208/

New 6mm Romans!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lord Commissar posted:

I'm not sure which book the Poles are in. The Open Fire! box is a great starter kit, anyway, as you get the mini rulebook (but go to Kinko's and get it rebound).

Also: http://theminiaturespage.com/news/71208/

New 6mm Romans!

Hey those aren't Romans, those are Normans!

Also is the "mini rulebook" missing anything important?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Their new Vikings are boss too and I'm kind of wanting to make a Viking longhouse now as there are no 6mm scenery for Vikings as far as I know.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

Also is the "mini rulebook" missing anything important?

Nope. It's basically just missing the "hobby" section.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

The Oldest Man posted:

So those Polish early war guys in FoW look pretty badass. Elite cavalry taking on tanks and artillery trains and poo poo? Gatdamn, that's rad as hell. But I don't have the rules or anything. It looks like the Open Fire! box set is actually the same price as the core rulebook on Amazon, but then I need the Blitzkrieg book also?

Can anybody familiar with FoW and the early war Polish in particular give me an idea of where to start and not explode my wallet?

Blitzkrieg has all the early war lists, including all the Polish ones. I think there's also an article on the site with a list for Warsaw Uprising lists, if you want to do late-war polish partisans or something silly like that, but that's not really what you're looking for.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Posting this question from the 40K thread here for Tuxedo Jack:

Tuxedo Jack posted:

So me and a few friends are getting into Dystopian Wars. Just ordered my Federated States Battlegroup today. (We drew straws, basically... As in, one dude called Prussians and the rest of us were like "DAMMIT.")

Anyway, does anyone have a resource for decals of WWIIish American icons? I'm not sure what scale would be appropriate, as the game is supposedly scaled in 1/1200. Obviously I'm just looking for a few stars and bars to pretty up my runway and larger flat areas with.

I found these, but am not sold on the scale, as I can't picture it in my head (Outside of 40k, I'm a scale modeling novice).

http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=EP72086

Thoughts?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm pretty sure you can buy water decal paper for your home printer.

I use regular sticker paper, then scale down for size. It worked great on my Raven Guard and IDF-based IG back in the day.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Lord Commissar posted:

I'm pretty sure you can buy water decal paper for your home printer.

Yep. Only thing is, you have to spray varnish the sheets after printing because otherwise the ink would just run off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oh man this makes me tempted to play British Airborne.

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=10469

Although they're a different scale than FoW. Maybe this'll inspire Battlefront to come out with some of these.

EDIT: Woah, what? 3mm gaming? http://picoarmor.com/pages/home.php

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 6, 2011