Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
WDC or STX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

St00ert posted:

I agree with the previous poster, that by employing the unemployed shrimp boaters with some boom wings or Kevin Costner technology, a positive human interest story would be available to the dailies right now. The best way to piss any reporter off is by telling them "you can't go there/shouldn't be here." Resorting to underhanded treatment of the media can only result in endless daily cycles of negative press.

In 2008, when Maple Leaf Foods was feeling the poo poo after some people died from eating cold cuts laced with listeria, the company CEO ran a TV commercial within the week, giving a heartfelt apology and promising to earn the customer's trust once again.

I think comparing the largest accidental oil spill in history to the contamination of some equipment in a meat factory, and expecting to be able to "fix" the problem as easily or in the same way, is a little hard to swallow.

They have no choice but to obscure everything. Look at how they stuck to their 5k barrels per day estimate until they started sucking up 15k a day (with a huge visible gusher still emptying into the gulf). Putting a bunch of shrimp boats out with booms or whatever doesn't do anything except up the profile of just how messy the gulf is- they would be sending thousands of people (who have just had their livelihood yanked out from underneath them, and who will talk to the press) out to the worst parts of the gulf to sludge around in oil- that would be an unmitigated PR disaster. A little temporary work cleaning up BP's mess isn't going to satiate the anger of these guys who have just had their generational family business ruined.

antishock
Aug 19, 2003

quote:

Anyway, The stock price went from about $11 to >$7 after the outbreak, then rebounded to ~$11 (then the recession happened and wiped out all of that goodwill and honesty). At the time, I saw that as a smart approach by a CEO - to immediately acknowledge a blatant gently caress up.

This is why google is a great company. They took full responsiblity for the wifi snafu thats in the news right now. A counter example of a company who tried to cover poo poo up: Toyota.

The basic story is, if you gently caress up, own up to it and the fallout will be much less long lasting, although still as severe. Good life advice too!

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

fougera posted:

WDC or STX?

I love WDC, but look at an intraday chart of it over the past two or three weeks and tell me that isn't totally hosed. So much volatility...

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
WDC and STX both are taking it hard since Greece poo poo the bed. I dont get it either. I work for Seagate even and in our last quarterly report inventory was reported to be tight until the end of the year, sales are good. But analysts have hated HDD stocks for a while now and it puzzles me. You dont buy a computer/laptop without storage. You can get server without storage, but you eventually put something into that fucker.

Looking at finviz.com shows both companies have extremely large institutional holdings, both right at 90%. I dont know if that has anything to do with it or what, but just look at the charts. Greece hits, then both start to tank. It's crazy that both companies were at 52 week highs just over a month ago.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

MrBigglesworth posted:

WDC and STX both are taking it hard since Greece poo poo the bed. I dont get it either. I work for Seagate even and in our last quarterly report inventory was reported to be tight until the end of the year, sales are good. But analysts have hated HDD stocks for a while now and it puzzles me. You dont buy a computer/laptop without storage. You can get server without storage, but you eventually put something into that fucker.

Looking at finviz.com shows both companies have extremely large institutional holdings, both right at 90%. I dont know if that has anything to do with it or what, but just look at the charts. Greece hits, then both start to tank. It's crazy that both companies were at 52 week highs just over a month ago.

Lots of stocks have lost 25% since the Greece thing, it's just not as dramatically shown in the indexes.

Plus do Seagate and WDC make a lot of the flash type drives or the components of or have a big market share in the SSD department?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I asked because I thought STX is a better value play. But I wanted to know who has better earnings prospects.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ayekappy posted:

Plus do Seagate and WDC make a lot of the flash type drives or the components of or have a big market share in the SSD department?
Both have SSD departments, but it doesn't really matter right now because the SSD market is still a drop in the bucket to mechanical drives.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Well, we have that hybrid 4GB flash Momentus XT drive in various HD sizes for the platter.. Personally I think the flash cache should be much bigger, at least 16GB. 4 just screams of being too small for my opinion.

Its a good start though. Pure SSD drives are too expensive right now still. I have an Intel 80GB drive, and love the poo poo out of it. But hybrids a good start. And HDD stuff isnt going anywhere its just too cheap for such massive amounts of storage. Nothing wrong with hybrid system, or smallish app/boot drive and using spinners for all your videos and mp3s.

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Is anyone holding IRE? I was paid a dividend of ~$1 dollar a share, the stock is valued at ~$4, I believe this is an error by the company I bought the stock through (Fidelity), but they are claiming that is in fact legitimate... how is that possible? I see no record of the dividend anywhere, cannot find any information from googling it, and two of their reps have told me "I am sorry, all I can tell you is that according to our information IRE paid a dividend and the transfer agent for the ADR deposited it into our depository."

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Fuckin Euro, go back into the hole in whence you came...

St00ert
Nov 4, 2008
Sold TSL for a miniscule profit - I wasn't liking the extreme volatility of solar stocks and wanted out. I want to sit in cash and save up for a large cap with a decent dividend.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

i am not zach posted:

Is anyone holding IRE? I was paid a dividend of ~$1 dollar a share, the stock is valued at ~$4, I believe this is an error by the company I bought the stock through (Fidelity), but they are claiming that is in fact legitimate... how is that possible? I see no record of the dividend anywhere, cannot find any information from googling it, and two of their reps have told me "I am sorry, all I can tell you is that according to our information IRE paid a dividend and the transfer agent for the ADR deposited it into our depository."

My Schwab platform doesn't list any dividend for IRE. Does their history show that they always pay out their dividend? Even if it does, there's always the chance that the stock has been hammered so much they won't be able to pay it, which will then drive the price down even further. I'd be very careful.

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

dethkon posted:

My Schwab platform doesn't list any dividend for IRE. Does their history show that they always pay out their dividend? Even if it does, there's always the chance that the stock has been hammered so much they won't be able to pay it, which will then drive the price down even further. I'd be very careful.

Well, I called a third time and I guess they owed me money and it just read Dividend payout for IRE by mistake... weird I guess

poopfart
May 5, 2010
Hey I got this free money (weird), does anyone know how I can get rid of it. (cause I don't want to steal or n e thing ^.^)

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

i am not zach posted:

Well, I called a third time and I guess they owed me money and it just read Dividend payout for IRE by mistake... weird I guess

thinkorswim has a dividend of $1.04 listed for IRE on June 7.

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

thinkorswim has a dividend of $1.04 listed for IRE on June 7.

How can that be possible? I'm new to the whole stock market thing, but isn't that incredibly high considering the price IRE trades at?

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
Tesla's going public: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-0616-tesla-20100616,0,5877243.story

What do you have to do to get into an IPO like that? Any chance of a smaller investor being able to buy in at the offering price or would I have to wait a couple days?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Do you have lots of money?

I just checked the IPO offering area on my Fidelity account and got the following after seeing Tesla in the selection:

quote:

IPO Message
You are not eligible to participate in equity new issue offerings through Fidelity Investments. Eligibility is reserved for brokerage customers with a minimum of $500,000. Auction OpenIPOs and Secondary offerings made available through Fidelity are reserved for brokerage customers with a minimum of $100,000 in certain assets held at Fidelity. Members of Premium Services or customers who have placed 36 or more stock, fixed income, or option trades in a rolling 12-month period are eligible for either traditional or auction based offerings

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...

MrBigglesworth posted:

Do you have lots of money?

I just checked the IPO offering area on my Fidelity account and got the following after seeing Tesla in the selection:

Heh, that's a little out of the budget. Guess I'll just wait to see how much the price is when it's actually listed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Anyone watch CNBC today? What is going on with Erin Burnett's makeup? :psyduck:

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
For those people who look at charts this looks almost exactly like what happened before the large drop in Q4 2008. Same absurd market caps too.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Jack posted:

For those people who look at charts this looks almost exactly like what happened before the large drop in Q4 2008. Same absurd market caps too.

What? In that the major market indexes went down, then up, then down and now up again?

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Jack posted:

Well if my holdings never recovered I have nothing to fear. Right? RIGHT?!

:smithicide:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Technical analysis goons, any thoughts on triple moving averages?

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
Wow BP caved without even putting up a fight, they apparently have zero respect for their shareholders. I pulled out half of what I had in and put it in RIG, who I don't think will cave to political pressure so easily and aren't liable etc.

BPs moves are so out of touch with shareholders interests its ridiculous. WHY would you GIVE 20 billion dollars to a government run fund and suspend dividends, the court system is the corporation's best friend. Obama must have been speaking some harsh terms.

BTW BP's revocation of their 5/5 dividend is completely illegal. Did they even have any lawyers at this meeting?

I am shocked that they would gently caress over their shareholders like this but overall good for them cause they did gently caress up the gulf big time, however, I will not own a company that doesn't have the interests of the shareholders in mind, overall though it's still undervalued hell they'll "make" an extra 10 billion this year because of tax savings.

Bigntasty fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 17, 2010

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
They have to generate some type of good will or press at this point. Right?

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
For some crazy reads you should hit the Yahoo Finance forums for BP, people calling for Obama to be, um......yah and people screaming about the illegality of pulling an already declared dividend to those saying they had everything tied up in BP, now they have 50% decreased value and no forseeable dividend payouts starting now.

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
No one is gonna start looking at BP as the good guy regardless of how big that number is. They wouldn't look all that much worse if they refused to let the gov distribute, they are going to have to go to court over this anyway, paying 20 billion gives the courts/jury an absolute low point that they will surely go above.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Bigntasty posted:

Wow BP caved without even putting up a fight, they apparently have zero respect for their shareholders. I pulled out half of what I had in and put it in RIG, who I don't think will cave to political pressure so easily and aren't liable etc.

BPs moves are so out of touch with shareholders interests its ridiculous. WHY would you GIVE 20 billion dollars to a government run fund and suspend dividends, the court system is the corporation's best friend. Obama must have been speaking some harsh terms.

BTW BP's revocation of their 5/5 dividend is completely illegal. Did they even have any lawyers at this meeting?

I am shocked that they would gently caress over their shareholders like this but overall good for them cause they did gently caress up the gulf big time, however, I will not own a company that doesn't have the interests of the shareholders in mind, overall though it's still undervalued hell they'll "make" an extra 10 billion this year because of tax savings.

Maybe they do have the shareholders interest in mind and this was their best option, they did create the largest oil spill in history right in the middle of the GOM,a vital part of the US Economy, and shut a huge swath of it down.... And it's part of a rather shocking history of safety and regulatory violations. Where was the shareholder anger when they weren't following the rules and were repeatedly being violated? Oh that's right, no one cares about gross negligence until it costs them money, then they ignore that the culture of negligence BP was clearly fostering, and which they played passive party to, is what ended up costing them money and start looking for scapegoats like the government or lazy management.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Bigntasty posted:

He was, in fact he did in his speech last night by explicitly saying "reckless." As a lawyer he wouldn't have used that term unless there was a large amount of evidence that BP was indeed criminally reckless. And if that's the case pissed-off shareholders have moved pretty far down the list of things for BP to worry about.

And don't be obtuse, they aren't GIVING anybody poo poo. They've set up a fund to pay restitution because they hosed up in spectacular style. Your interests as a shareholder should right now should be focused on BP (1) not going into bankruptcy and (2) trying to salvage anything from their brand. On the plus side you've got a 50/50 chance of being an owner of XOM by year's end.

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003

greasyhands posted:

Maybe they do have the shareholders interest in mind and this was their best option, they did create the largest oil spill in history right in the middle of the GOM,a vital part of the US Economy, and shut a huge swath of it down.... And it's part of a rather shocking history of safety and regulatory violations. Where was the shareholder anger when they weren't following the rules and were repeatedly being violated? Oh that's right, no one cares about gross negligence until it costs them money, then they ignore that the culture of negligence BP was clearly fostering, and which they played passive party to, is what ended up costing them money and start looking for scapegoats like the government or lazy management.

Don't see this being in the shareholders interest. They could have said send us an itemized bill everyday and we will pay it, not just hand over 20 billion.

I'm speaking from an investment point of view, I'm not mad about them paying because they should, but from an investment standpoint it doesn't speak well for the stock. I'm still holding some of it as its in everyones interest to keep them generating cash tho, like the tobacco companies.

I would expect Obama to use reckless and negligent, but what he says in his speech and what the courts find are very different.

Overall I'm glad they are paying tho being from Florida.

Bigntasty fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 17, 2010

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Bigntasty posted:

Don't see this being in the shareholders interest. They could have said send us an itemized bill everyday and we will pay it, not just hand over 20 billion.

You're pretty short-sighted if you can't see how cooperating with the government and conceding some of the things they want is definitely in their best long-term interest right now. The Government could do much worse than have them set up a fund to pay restitution, and BP knows that... why don't you? If BP starts stonewalling and making a bunch of demands it's going to get ugly for them real quick.

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
Everyone was pissed off at the banks a year ago, I didn't see them setting up unemployment funds.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Bigntasty posted:

Everyone was pissed off at the banks a year ago, I didn't see them setting up unemployment funds.

I'm sorry that you're losing money and you're mad about it. You chose to be a shareholder in the company that made one of the biggest corporate fuckups in history and there is a very clear party at fault, unlike the financial crisis.

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
I'm not mad just very surprised, hell the stock is up since the announcement. Overall my BP position is rather small

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
If you don't think BP was paying that money anyway you're being foolish. It's better for them that they get the "BP TO PUT 20 MIL IN ESCROW FOR GULF RELIEF" headlines now than some page 7 story in 2 years that says "today BP settled in court to pay $xx to such and such".

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Bigntasty posted:

I'm speaking from an investment point of view, I'm not mad about them paying because they should, but from an investment standpoint it doesn't speak well for the stock. I'm still holding some of it as its in everyones interest to keep them generating cash tho, like the tobacco companies.
If you're in BP as an "investment", you should have sold your entire position as soon as their well detonated. Even if you think it'll recover in a few years, there's no sense in holding shares while it's setting new minimums weekly.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
I am not sure how anyone who wasn't in the White House meetings is saying the 20 billion dollar escrow was or wasn't in BPs best interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Newbie investor here, in the process of reading some of the books discussed in the first page. I have a finance degree however most of my time has been spent in IT so I'm not well-versed in the workings of the stock-market.

At the moment I am reading The Neatest Little Guide to Stock Market Investing, and his proposed Maximum Midcap strategy seems too good to be true? Can anyone bring me back down to earth in terms of the flaws this strategy has and why everyone isnt doing this already?