Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Benly posted:

Helpful explanation

Thank you! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Wait, can you repeatedly wear and take off a Headband of Intelligence and gain skill points? Can you reassign them or what?
Like, I put on the Headband, wait 24 hours, allocate some skill points. Later, I decide I want some different ones, take off the Headband, put it back on, wait another 24 hours, and now I've got points I can put somewhere else?

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.

zachol posted:

Wait, can you repeatedly wear and take off a Headband of Intelligence and gain skill points? Can you reassign them or what?
Like, I put on the Headband, wait 24 hours, allocate some skill points. Later, I decide I want some different ones, take off the Headband, put it back on, wait another 24 hours, and now I've got points I can put somewhere else?
I always figured it was like with DnD. You can get the Int bonus to skill CHECKS, but you didn't get bonus skill points from items that raise the stats like that. Of course, I could be horribly wrong on that.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Me too, but someone mentioned (last page) that after 24 hours the stat bonuses become "long term" and let you qualify for feats and apparently assign skill points (??).
Or did I just totally misread something?

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Kobold posted:

I always figured it was like with DnD.
Since in 3.0(not sure about 3.5) skill points for high int were not granted or removed retroactively it isn't an issue.
Now if you were to wear your items for an entire level there shouldn't be anything stopping you from getting a couple extra pintos... after all, you did your all learning while smart.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

zachol posted:

As you've noticed, this doesn't actually fix the problem! The usual solution is to say that you only get to choose where they go the first time you put on the headband, and then after that you just forget it and remember it each time you take off and put on the headband. I don't know whether they've made that the official fix yet or not.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Kobold posted:

I always figured it was like with DnD. You can get the Int bonus to skill CHECKS, but you didn't get bonus skill points from items that raise the stats like that. Of course, I could be horribly wrong on that.

Pathfinder made a couple of important changes to the way increasing Int (in particular) works:

1. Int mod increases affect skill points retroactively. This means that if your Int mod increases by one, you gain one extra skill point for each of your levels.
2. Enhancement bonuses to Int from items like headbands factor into your skill point per level calculation.

Combined, this means that once your Int bonus becomes nontemporary, you gain extra skill points from your item. As I recall, Int items are supposed to have a particular skill associated with them such that the extra skill points you gain are always in that (predetermined) skill.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Pathfinder sidesteps this issue by associating every headband of Intelligence with one particular skill. That +2 headband gives you your max ranks in the same skill every time you wear it and you lose those ranks when you take it off. You do not (by my reading, this is debatable) gain additional skill ranks from that INT bonus outside of that skill.

edit: beaten

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
Ah, I see. So along with straight up increasing Intelligence, the items are created so they're imbued with the knowledge of a certain skill for those extra points to go into. That's an interesting approach.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
My Kingmaker group kicked around the idea of crafting two Headbands of Intellect +2 with Perform: Stringed Instrument and a Lyre of Building. P1 puts on the Headband (P2 does as well) and 24 hours later starts playing the Lyre, when he fails his check the Headband gets passed to P3. P2 begins to play until he fails. Repeat until you're back at P1.

The DM congratulated us on our ingenuity and then shut us down.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
I was a keen D&D 3.5 player/GM back around 10 years or so with my old college/uni group. Moved around a hell of a lot with my work and finally settled in Sunny Scotland. After doing some reading up on the D&D 4e I was pointed to pathfinder and read up on it and bought the PHB and some of the bestiaries.

The problem I'm having is finding a suitable group to game with, found a few on Meetup and other local sites but they are full of late teens and other students who like to play a super-heroic cartoon version of the game rather than a slightly more realistic (yeah magic and monsters I know..) game set, with actual role-play and not hack and slash. Games where things like... gravity.. can actually have a realistic influence in the game.

Are there any Euro-Goons out there who know of some super-sekrit (probably obvious but I suck at the interwebz)way to find a slightly more 'mature' (30-35+) gaming group that I can possibly utilise?

Reading all the source material is bringing back memories and I want to get into it again. I will see if there is anything new on Piazo's site as time goes by but is there some other resource available?

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

LongDarkNight posted:

My Kingmaker group kicked around the idea of crafting two Headbands of Intellect +2 with Perform: Stringed Instrument and a Lyre of Building. P1 puts on the Headband (P2 does as well) and 24 hours later starts playing the Lyre, when he fails his check the Headband gets passed to P3. P2 begins to play until he fails. Repeat until you're back at P1.

The DM congratulated us on our ingenuity and then shut us down.

The Lute seems kinda busted for that campaign, if you get +17 to your Perform check you can't fail and just build forever.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

What's the best kind of wizard in Pathfinder? I'm in line to join a campaign with a few guys I know (and a few I don't) and they tell me that the party they have now is a paladin, a witch, a monk, a DPS rogue, and something else that wasn't impressive enough for me to remember. I'm thinking conjurer for the versatility of summon monster but dealing with extra actions in combat is lame-o. I think everybody's level 4 right now. I also think ghosts are cool if there's a way to incorporate that into my wizard.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Crowd control is basically always the way to go with a party that's loaded up with various kinds of damage dealing already.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, the monk told me last night that they didn't have any "blasting" and it was all I could do to not chuckle a bit. Conjuration has the best real CC, right? Grease, glitterdust, web, stinking cloud, the works.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Strontosaurus posted:

What's the best kind of wizard in Pathfinder? I'm in line to join a campaign with a few guys I know (and a few I don't) and they tell me that the party they have now is a paladin, a witch, a monk, a DPS rogue, and something else that wasn't impressive enough for me to remember. I'm thinking conjurer for the versatility of summon monster but dealing with extra actions in combat is lame-o. I think everybody's level 4 right now. I also think ghosts are cool if there's a way to incorporate that into my wizard.

I'd agree with Danhenge, but if you want to deal with ghosts you'll pretty much want the Necromancy school for the channeling for Command Undead, at least at lower levels. You could also make a battlefield control cleric. Do you know the paladin's god? You might be able to make a Lawful Neutral cleric of that Deity, especially if it has a domain that's good for battlefield control and get versatile channel for all your Undead fun needs, while still being a good burst healer and generally awesome.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Strontosaurus posted:

Yeah, the monk told me last night that they didn't have any "blasting" and it was all I could do to not chuckle a bit. Conjuration has the best real CC, right? Grease, glitterdust, web, stinking cloud, the works.

Pretty much, but considering that you have a paladin, monk and rogue, you probably can get some pretty good mileage out of Transmuter(Enhancement's kinda nice for one) as well. Buffs for the Buff God.

EDIT:
As for Summoning time Sacred Summon helps, but you have to get Aura SOMEHOW.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

veekie posted:

As for Summoning time Sacred Summon helps, but you have to get Aura SOMEHOW.

Isn't Aura the level one cleric thing? I think paladins may also get it but clerics also get all of the summon monster spells. The feat seems tailor made to make the Angel Summoner (with BMX Bandit Cohort when you hit level 7)

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Does anyone have any light CharOp advice for a beginning PF Monk player? I grabbed the Monk Of The Empty Hand kit/build from the Advanced Players Guide thinking I could ignore the magic weapon grind a bit, but I don't know what sort of feat chains or wondrous items I should be planning or hoping for. For those unfamiliar, it's basically Jackie Chan unarmed strikes and improvised weapons. Have I fallen into a system mastery trap or am I still good?

I'm still at level 1, a human, with Dodge, Mobility, and Catch Off Guard as my starting feats. My most significant stats are STR and WIS, but I still have a bonus in DEX and INT. I was considering Throw Anything as my level 2 bonus feat, but I'd appreciate some more experienced thoughts since my 3.5 days are a bit distant and my 4e knowledge is useless here.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I haven't looked through it in detail, but there's a CharOp guide to Monks on d20PFSRD that might be helpful.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/treantmonk-s-guide-to-monks

It predates even APG I think, though.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Does anyone have any light CharOp advice for a beginning PF Monk player? I grabbed the Monk Of The Empty Hand kit/build from the Advanced Players Guide thinking I could ignore the magic weapon grind a bit, but I don't know what sort of feat chains or wondrous items I should be planning or hoping for. For those unfamiliar, it's basically Jackie Chan unarmed strikes and improvised weapons. Have I fallen into a system mastery trap or am I still good?

I'm still at level 1, a human, with Dodge, Mobility, and Catch Off Guard as my starting feats. My most significant stats are STR and WIS, but I still have a bonus in DEX and INT. I was considering Throw Anything as my level 2 bonus feat, but I'd appreciate some more experienced thoughts since my 3.5 days are a bit distant and my 4e knowledge is useless here.

I had some trouble making a monk congeal when I tried to sort one out. Do look into the style feats from Ultimate Combat, though; in particular Boar Style and Tiger Style stood out to me as having a lot of potential.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Oh, man, this is going to be painful for you. Especially if you've played a 4E monk.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Idran posted:

I haven't looked through it in detail, but there's a CharOp guide to Monks on d20PFSRD that might be helpful.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/treatmonks-lab/treantmonk-s-guide-to-monks

It predates even APG I think, though.

Benly posted:

I had some trouble making a monk congeal when I tried to sort one out. Do look into the style feats from Ultimate Combat, though; in particular Boar Style and Tiger Style stood out to me as having a lot of potential.
That guide is still pretty helpful with the basics. I clearly didn't understand the class too well and choosing a "fun" build is going to hamper me up the line if I survive. My GM hasn't made it through Ultimate Combat yet, so I suspect I'll have to hold off on the style feats for a while.

LogicNinja posted:

Oh, man, this is going to be painful for you. Especially if you've played a 4E monk.
That was exactly how I ended up here. I was thinking to myself, "I know fighters are still sort of borked, and I understand that Monks will have decent saves and stun powers so I won't be useless. Plus, I don't have to worry about spell description printouts or components! Win-Win!" Now I just don't want to be a burden on the rest of the team since the Monk's class skills aren't helping as much as I hoped thus far. I'll just have to see if I can find some way to keep stocked up on healing and AC buffs while I front-line it.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

If your DM is cool with Ultimate Magic, you might check out the qinggong monk. It gives you the option of replacing some of your (often weaker) class features with feats, other features, or, best of all, spells (in SLA format). Aside from that, I think you'll find that while Pathfinder monks are definitely better off than their core 3.5e counterparts, they're still nothing to write home about.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

If your DM is cool with Ultimate Magic, you might check out the qinggong monk. It gives you the option of replacing some of your (often weaker) class features with feats, other features, or, best of all, spells (in SLA format). Aside from that, I think you'll find that while Pathfinder monks are definitely better off than their core 3.5e counterparts, they're still nothing to write home about.

Might be too late without a complete respec since the Open Hand thing already replaces a few of those same class features, but noted. I'm probably whining more than is appropriate in any case. At this point I'll just be a decent glass (melee) canon with my flurries until I get some BAB or improbable magic gear. At least I can beat people up with furniture and ladders and beersteins and such.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Even if your GM isn't all the way through Ultimate Magic at least try to convince him of letting you take something like the Mantis Style feat. It's the first feat in the 3-feat chain of the same name, and gives you a +2 to your stunning fist DCs, which is a really good thing. If you can absorb some damage while giving decent back, and occasionally leave foes stunned and vulnerable to coup-de-grace by other party members or even just remove them from combat a round and make them drop their weapons, you won't be useless in the party.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

grah posted:

Even if your GM isn't all the way through Ultimate Magic at least try to convince him of letting you take something like the Mantis Style feat. It's the first feat in the 3-feat chain of the same name, and gives you a +2 to your stunning fist DCs, which is a really good thing. If you can absorb some damage while giving decent back, and occasionally leave foes stunned and vulnerable to coup-de-grace by other party members or even just remove them from combat a round and make them drop their weapons, you won't be useless in the party.

Stunned != helpless, unless there's more changes to Pathfinder form D&D that I'm not aware of.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

All the Ultimate Combat feats should be up on PFSRD by now, plus unless you're a Style Master monk styles tend to start around level 3 or so anyway so you're not in a huge rush. Boar Style adds 2d6 bleeding damage when you hit an enemy twice in a round with other bonuses added to it as you advance the style chain, which is a major damage boost for monks, and Tiger Style's third feat (at level 8) lets you pursue an enemy who you've hit in the previous round as a swift action, mitigating the monk's traditional "can't combine mobility with flurry" problems some.

A friend of mine has interesting thoughts about Crane Style, but it's more of a "build your character around it" than "throw this on a monk, makes traditional monks better" thing.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

rkajdi posted:

Stunned != helpless, unless there's more changes to Pathfinder form D&D that I'm not aware of.

You're right, I got it mixed up. Adding DC to Stunning Fist is still extremely helpful though.

Benly posted:

All the Ultimate Combat feats should be up on PFSRD by now, plus unless you're a Style Master monk styles tend to start around level 3 or so anyway so you're not in a huge rush. Boar Style adds 2d6 bleeding damage when you hit an enemy twice in a round with other bonuses added to it as you advance the style chain, which is a major damage boost for monks, and Tiger Style's third feat (at level 8) lets you pursue an enemy who you've hit in the previous round as a swift action, mitigating the monk's traditional "can't combine mobility with flurry" problems some.

A friend of mine has interesting thoughts about Crane Style, but it's more of a "build your character around it" than "throw this on a monk, makes traditional monks better" thing.

That is a tremendous amount of bleed damage for a level 1 feat and it is almost certainly going to be errata'd to just adding 2d6 normal damage, which is still a nice bonus. The third feat in that chain causes 1d6 bleed damage so it seems unlikely that the 2d6 was meant to be persistent, round-by-round bleeding damage. Still, as written that's what it does and if a GM lets you do it, great. Just be aware it might get fixed, eventually, in seven years or so when Paizo gets around to errata on UC.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

grah posted:

That is a tremendous amount of bleed damage for a level 1 feat and it is almost certainly going to be errata'd to just adding 2d6 normal damage, which is still a nice bonus. The third feat in that chain causes 1d6 bleed damage so it seems unlikely that the 2d6 was meant to be persistent, round-by-round bleeding damage. Still, as written that's what it does and if a GM lets you do it, great. Just be aware it might get fixed, eventually, in seven years or so when Paizo gets around to errata on UC.

It's a level 3 feat (reqs Intimidate 3 ranks, which means level 3 under PF skill rules) but yes, it's almost certainly intended to either be normal damage or be time-limited (if it's 2d6 bleed damage for one round, that's a little more sane.)

Even so, an extra 2d6 damage each round you hit an enemy more than once is entirely respectable. The whole feat chain is generally quite solid and requires very little effort to pay off - they add extra damage and debuffs for basically doing what a monk would be doing anyway. If you just want to play "a regular monk, but better at it", Boar Style is an excellent choice.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
This is all helpful, thank you. I'm going to have to reacclimate to the zero half of the zero-to-hero model for a while and plan for level 8 or so.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Considering Bleeding Critical requires Critical Focus + BAB +11 and adds 2d6 bleed only on a critical hit, that flub with the monk style feat is pretty nuts.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

GaistHeidegger posted:

Considering Bleeding Critical requires Critical Focus + BAB +11 and adds 2d6 bleed only on a critical hit, that flub with the monk style feat is pretty nuts.

It looks like one perhaps higher benefit of Bleeding Critical's bleed damage is that it explicitly stacks with itself, whereas regular bleeding damage like that of Boar Style doesn't: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Bleed. It's still an extra free 2d6 of hurting for free every turn thereafter unless that creature gets to ignore it or shake it off or whatever, so that's nothing to sneeze at. Plus you get the free switch to slashing damage with your unarmed strikes if you want too. Now all I have to do is figure out how to survive until third level and hit someone twice in the same turn somehow.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

ThaGhettoJew posted:

It looks like one perhaps higher benefit of Bleeding Critical's bleed damage is that it explicitly stacks with itself, whereas regular bleeding damage like that of Boar Style doesn't: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Bleed. It's still an extra free 2d6 of hurting for free every turn thereafter unless that creature gets to ignore it or shake it off or whatever, so that's nothing to sneeze at. Plus you get the free switch to slashing damage with your unarmed strikes if you want too. Now all I have to do is figure out how to survive until third level and hit someone twice in the same turn somehow.

Hitting someone twice in the same turn is basically what monks are about with Flurry of Blows.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

ThaGhettoJew posted:

It looks like one perhaps higher benefit of Bleeding Critical's bleed damage is that it explicitly stacks with itself

Does not all bleed damage stack in general?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

GaistHeidegger posted:

Does not all bleed damage stack in general?

Generally, no. Unless specifically stated in the entry, bleed damage does not stack.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Tactical Bonnet posted:

Generally, no. Unless specifically stated in the entry, bleed damage does not stack.

Ugh. Bleeding Critical is shithouse overpowered when you've got a guy swinging five times and critting 15+ with feats to back confirming crits. "I crit you three times. Bleed 6d6 on top of the 6d6 I gave you last round."

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

GaistHeidegger posted:

Ugh. Bleeding Critical is shithouse overpowered when you've got a guy swinging five times and critting 15+ with feats to back confirming crits. "I crit you three times. Bleed 6d6 on top of the 6d6 I gave you last round."

That's pretty crazy situational damage (25% to get the crit, then another 25% + (5 x whatever)% to confirm) at Level 11 at best. This is the same level where the Alchemist is a level away from machine-gunning people with Cloudkill bombs, a TWF Rogue/Scout can just about one-shot anything that it can get SA on and full casters have a suite of abilities that will straight end a fight, though.

Shithouse overpowered isn't the word I'd use for it, since it takes less work for its contemporaries to wreck poo poo. That Monk flub is pretty jokes; monks should get something nice for once.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Benly posted:

Hitting someone twice in the same turn is basically what monks are about with Flurry of Blows.

In theory, yes. As long as they stand still for long enough to let me full-attack and I don't accidentally choke on most of my rolls in my magic-item-poor game. Also I have to be using my unarmed attacks and not waling on him with camping gear or a rock I found or a piece of the table, because I think that's fun too. I guess I'll have to get them bleeding first and then switch to the hitting them with Jackie Chan's improvised weapon poo poo damage later.

There aren't any styles or builds or gear that let you move and flurry in the same round, are there? Losing my fighting style when villains are more than five feet away seems wasteful. Unless I want to darken the sky with all the 1d2 shuriken I can miss with I suppose. That said, is there a way to throw crap with STR in this system?

(Death To Ability Scores)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

ThaGhettoJew posted:

magic-item-poor gam

Why the gently caress would anyone do this in Pathfinder, ever. Unless they just really, really hate people who aren't spellcasters?